Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
In the past, I would have thought a $100 mouse was crap. Hell, even a $50 one. I didn't understand why people spent that kind of money except for the physical design. Well, I finally made the plunge and replaced my crap Dynex mouse with an Ideazon Reaper Edge. Maybe not the best choice for my money, but I'd heard good things and I use an Ideazon Zboard (I know, I know. I got it for free, I'd never spend $50 for a gimmick that's only worth $20 or so).

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I never put much thought into how DPI settings change using a mouse, and having a button to switch between 5 settings is great. It's comfortable as hell, and can do similar macros to the Zboard.

At $54 @ NewEgg there's probably better mice for the price, but I'm really happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Christoff posted:

I think I need to recommend this mouse again. I got the logitech g500 but in the end like this one better. I posted about it on the page before.

Simple, comfortable, and cheap. I have the Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) version which is the same except that carbon fiber looking material is rubber and it says Asus and some other minor differences. The rubberized material is probably better, though. Pesky fingerprints

Review -

http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/GGaming/comments/review_hp_laser_gaming_mouse_with_voodoo_dna/

Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Gaming-Mouse-with-VooDooDNA/dp/B001HLF2KO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Picture for the lazy.

This is the Ideazon Reaper Edge. Exactly the same mouse, it looks like. I use it and it's wonderful (Ideazon one, that is).

E: I posted this way back in the thread, but I have to say again how amazing this kind of mouse is. It fits my hand perfectly, the adjustable DPI is a godsend, and having the thumb buttons set up like they are is great.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 17, 2010

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Christoff posted:

Heh, I have the Asus "Republic of Gamers" mouse. I guess this is just a highly rebadged mouse. I think I'd prefer it because it' rubberized (Y'know. Bacon grease and all)

Oooh, that one looks much nicer than mine, the rubber seems like such a logical addition. Since this style of mouse is probably the same weight all around, does the rubber do anything for you, like better grip or feel or something? If mine ever bites the dust I'll be looking at the same style, and the ASUS looks like it might be it.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Christoff posted:

It's definitely better all around than any sort of plastic or smooth surface. No grease, fingerprints, etc. Good grip. Feels nice and smooth.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that mouse? Now that I'm interested, I've been looking at different stores, but both NewEgg and Amazon don't seem to have it. I'm hoping it's not discontinued, but it looks like it might be.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Edit: My Razer Diamondback is slogging ever-closer towards Death's door, so I think I'm gonna play it safe and order a G9x since I hate palm grips and I don't have the patience to wait a month for a G100 to ship from Korea. Will post back with a trip report/questions, since this will be the first time I've ever used a mouse with weight and grip adjustments.

I just got a G9x in the mail today! My last mouse was a Ideazon Reaper Edge and the pads wore off, making any kind of smooth movement impossible. I'm liking it a bit so far, I tend to palm the mouse so the "fat" grip works a little better though the precision one feels nicer with it's rough texture. The weights are a little pointless in my case since the mouse is heavy to begin with. I was expecting a light mouse and huge adjustment, but as it stands I can go from "heavy" to "too heavy".

The flat buttons are a bit odd at first too. Most mice have a decent slope so going to the G9x feels a little less ergo. It forces you to use just your fingertips (not really a bad thing).

All that I can get used to, but the one thing I hate is the middle button. It is the stiffest piece of poo poo, it takes an insane amount of force to click it which negates it's use in any sort of fast gaming. The wheel itself is fine, but just doing a dozen middle clicks in a row causes discomfort. I've heard some people say it breaks in eventually, but seriously Logitech... extreme resistance isn't a cornerstone to PC gaming peripherals.

e: I also got a "gamer" mousepad, the Steelseries 4HD. It's a thin plastic material with a slightly rough texture. It's almost too responsive to the mouse, it slides right across it with no trouble and I'm used to my desk or cloth pads. It's also pretty big coming from the standard ones (11.5x8.5 or something?). Of course I found out after I got it that the texture wears away at the G9x's feet and mars up the surface, so I ordered some decent fabric ones.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 16, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

"Slides right across it" How low do you have the res set? Why are you moving your wrist at all?

I didn't mean the mouse slides out of conrol across the pad or anything, but if you give it a light push it will slide for a bit. It's a good thing for like 3500 dpi and up, but I'm generally around 1500-2200.

I'm not sure what my wrist has to do with the slickness of the mouse pad though.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Protip :pcgaming: : whatever function you used to bind to your middle button, bind it to "tilt the wheel to the right" instead. It's better than any middle click because your finger doesn't have to physically move from your left button. Leave middle click for commands that aren't used frequently or that don't need speed.

Hah poo poo, you just solved my major complaint! Between this and using the left/right scroll for switching tabs (seriously awesome btw) I may stick with this mouse.

I use the 3-finger method (pointer on left, middle on wheel, ring on right) so I don't have any issue with moving too much. I tried using 2 fingers last night but it was immensely uncomfortable and I can't see how y'all can do that.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

I never put much thought into how I held the mouse until 2 days ago when I got the G9x, and I'm starting to see why some people use the claw grip or two fingers. I just assumed everyone naturally palmed and the claw grip was just some thing leet CS players did for the hell of it.

I'm also realizing clawing is pretty uncomfortable for me, and maybe the G9x won't work out after all. My hands are just a hair too big to properly hold it :(. I may grab the palm version of that (on my phone so I can't look up the model easily). It's got the same laser, right? Only difference is the size of weights, shape, and no exchangeable grip?

E: vv that's the one I was thinking of - the specs make it look pretty close to the G9x.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 17, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Dogen posted:

Isn't one of the bodies supposed to promote palm grip usage?

I would say the wide body is supposed to, but it's still too flat on top so it doesn't provide any support for the upper part of my palm. Using the mouse my current grip is with the base of my palm to the part opposite the knuckles touching, then no contact until the last joint of my three fingers. I have to do a semi-claw to reach the middle button as it's too stiff to comfortably press with anything but the fingertip. If I want to use the thumb buttons I have to go even further to claw and shift everything but the base of my palm off since in a natural resting position my thumb doesn't reach M5.

On that note, does anyone know of any mice besides the Ideazon Reaper Edge which have the thumb buttons on top and bottom (one above the thumb and one below)? I found that to be so easy, I could just shift my thumb slightly to reach either and it felt much more natural to use.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I think the mice that currently include that are the M500, M515, Performance MX, Anywhere MX and the G9x. Not sure about the G500.

I just got the G500 (G9x is relegated to backup duty; also it seems to be on sale at Best Buy for $49) and it has the same wheel with free scrolling as the G9x.

I want to love it, the wheel feels great and free-scrolling can be extremely helpful, but it's way too sensitive. Just moving the mouse left or right is enough to make the wheel turn and send me half a page down. This is with scrolling set to one line. I can't find any way around it so I'm stuck using regular mode :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

In which programs does this happen? This Logitech plugin may help with that.

Also, I don't think it has any effect with SetPoint installed, but just in case go to Control Panel -> Mouse -> Wheel and make sure that option is set to one line too.

It happens constantly - both the G9x and the G500 do it, so I think it's a side effect of the design. My desk is on a very slight incline, not enough to make a pencil roll but enough that the wheel spins with regular movement. I'm thankful there's a switch on the mice 'cos it would be a dealbreaker otherwise.

I'll grab that plugin, at the very least I'll get some more options for the wheel!