Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is there a goonsensus on a good trackball mouse?

Had some wrist pain and was advised to get either a trackball or a vertical mouse, and leaning towards trackball. Ideally want something with Bluetooth since it'll go between my work & personal computers. Mostly work & some light gaming, probably still use my regular mouse for anything FPSy.

One I'm looking at is the MX Ergo Plus. https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ERG...ps%2C233&sr=8-2

Not sure if something like that is best, or a more traditional trackball. No real budget since this will be a work thing, just can't be $tupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Catatron Prime posted:

Absolutely--I converted to trackball in 2018 and it's been the best computer peripheral move I've made, even more so than an ortholinear split keyboard (ergodox & lily 58)

That being said, save yourself the money and skip the MX Ergo Plus. I bought two several years back when I first converted and didn't know any better, and they're both just collecting dust in a drawer because thumb trackballs suck and irritate the same carpal nerves.

Instead, get yourself an oversize index finger trackball mouse. I've been using the Elecom Deft Pro and it's one of my favorite things I've ever bought. Apart from the obvious joy of fondling a giant ball every day, it's actually great for alleviating nerve pain, and the larger trackball is more comfortable and intuitive to use than the thumb ball. It'll take a few days to get comfortable using it and for your brain to adapt to throttling the trackball with your middle finger acting as a clutch so to speak, but once you commit and get over the learning curve there's no going back. Moving my whole drat arm on a cramped lovely laser mouse is such a bad user interface, trackballs are such an unbelievable life improvement. Except thumb track balls, gently caress those things.

What perfect timing. I'm actually about to return my MX Ergo Plus cause I was feeling it in my wrist still. I got used to it surprisingly quick, but I did use a handheld thumb trackball over a decade ago when I was commuting by train.

I'll give that Deft Pro a try, definitely going to take longer to get used to that, but looks like it has everything I need.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

pseudorandom name posted:

The button switches in the MX Ergo (and presumably all Logitech products) suck poo poo and fail after two years; I'm using one right now and dragging with the left button is impossible because it stutters the entire time.

Which is a shame because the thing is extremely comfortable.

I had the same experience with a G703, replaced the switches with Kailh and it's been great. Those stock switches are just straight up trash and it was hilarious to realize that same crap was on their pro tier mice as well.

The Deft Pro has been fantastic, I didn't like the drag of the original ruby bearing balls so I replaced them with ceramics which are working well.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Ive had a Logitech m575 for a year now, but it still regularly 'sticks'/'skids', even when the bearings seem perfectly clean. What's the best way to lube them up? (That's not face gunk)

Can you replace the bearings? That did wonders for my Deft Pro for small moves. I don't Lube except for hand oil.

Lube is kind if a grey area, since it'll be contacting your hand you have to have something skin safe, and the obvious option of Graphite is conductive and hard to apply precisely.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shinjobi posted:

I have an old wired mouse that double clicks instead of single clicks. Tends to go through in phases, but I'm kinda tired of dealing with it. I've tried cleaning it, blowing dust out of there, problem remains an on and off ongoing issue. Is this is a pretty good sign that it's time to put it out to pasture?

That or replace the microswitch if you can solder.

If it's like a $20 mouse definitely better to just buy a new one.

If it's a decent Logitech mouse, there are plenty of guides for replacing the switches since they use off brand ones that tend to die early.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I just turn off Razerz software. It doesn't seem to be an issue without it and if there's any additional delay I don't notice it.

This is a Deathadder V2 Pro so your mileage may vary.

Edit: Only downside is I don't have a battery percentage, but I main a trackball now anyway and this is just for clicking faces.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Do you still have the G700? You can replace the switch if you want to learn how to solder.

Logitech and Razer are both going extremely cheap on the switches they use.

I just replace them with name brand switches when they start to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

NihilCredo posted:

The Elecom looks very interesting. I did not know they made ergonomic (asymmetric) finger balls; I thought the market was either Kensington-style square/symmetric designs, which I find awkward, or thumb balls.

The price is also quite reasonable - other trackballs are also pretty expensive, and zirconia bearings are like 5€ (a few more euros for G5 ones).

Did you ever try the Nulea M505B? I watched a few trackball videos as that popped up as another model very similar to the Elecom in design. It's cheaper and some Amazon users claim to find it much sturdier than Elecom models, but y'know... Amazon reviews.

I'm coming up on a year with my Elecom Deft Pro and it's been fantastic. Swapped the bearings.

I would recommend rechargeable batteries, it uses 1 AA and it doesn't seem to be super efficient, but I am using this for work and gaming.