Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Hey! posted:

Can most mice do application-specific binding these days? (Like, clicking a side button on the mouse sends a different keypress to iTunes than to Firefox) For a long time only MS mice could do this, via IntelliPoint.
Yeah most (higher priced) mice come with their own software (100% sure about Logitech & Microsoft, but do not know about Razer) that will allow you to use program specific mouse button settings, such as in your browser you could use your two thumb buttons for copy and paste and when Itunes is the currently focused application those same buttons can be forward and back.

I personally can recommend the Logitech MX Revolution. Rechargable, user replaceable batteries (you can even use standard AA batteries if you wish), good weight, very comfortable shape, many usable buttons... That second scroll wheel is a blessing, you have no idea what kinds of things you can map to it, but once you start messing around with it you'll be glad it's there. I got mine as part of the Revolution desktop set. The keyboard is pretty drat great too, aside from there being no backlight for the LCD, but I guess that should be expected from a wireless keyboard to save battery life.

Also the Microsoft wireless laser mouse is a really awesome piece of equipment for the price. It's about the most ergonomically perfect mouse I've ever used, although I had one of the first laser models and they seem to have a slightly different shape with each model. Also they last FOREVER. Mine was one of the first laser versions they released. It went I think 6 or 7 years of HEAVY abuse before I replaced it with the Revolution. Not because it broke, but because the rubber on the scroll wheel was so chewed up I couldn't turn it well any more and because the mouse as a whole just looked... gross... from all the built-up gunk from years of being touched. And the best thing about these mice is the battery life. Two standard AA batteries can go for MONTHS in one of these mice. I've had a set of batteries last for almost half a year one time. Just make sure you're not looking at the "notebook" versions. Those are super tiny and not good for gaming at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Griz posted:

MX Revolution has a built-in rechargeable battery. VX Revolution is the laptop version that uses AAs, but I can't find it on the Logitech site any more.
Yep, my fault. I don't know why I was thinking that... For some reason in my head I remember putting batteries in it when I took it out of the box but I guess that was only for the keyboard that came with it.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Weinertron posted:

This mouse at Amazon is supposedly the "newer revision of the MX Revolution". For a mouse like this you'll be paying around $80 to $90 anyway.
Not quite the same, as has been mentioned earlier in this topic. That is the bluetooth version. Almost the same mouse, except it does not have the 2nd scroll wheel that you can use with your thumb.

Between these 2 mice (MX Revolution and Performance Mouse MX) the deciding factor would probably be the bluetooth. If you NEED bluetooth, get the Performance MX. If you don't need bluetooth, get the revolution as the performance is pretty much identical except you have that thumb wheel which is amazingly useful for video gaming. Also the Revolution MX looks to now be a "previous generation" model as it's not shown on the current lineup on Logitech's site.

HiFiSi fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 3, 2009

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Sointenly posted:

Strange, now its back down to $59 on Newegg...

Going to grab it, thanks everyone.
Holy poo poo you're right!

Retail price: $99.99
$45 OFF!

$54.99 and FREE SHIPPING

No way I can pass that up. I just bought 2 more. One for work and one for my media center desktop.

Good thing I check up on old posts lol

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

corb01772 posted:

The Performance Mouse MX does not have bluetooth. It uses the same 2.4 GHz wireless as the MX Revolution. You are probably thinking of the mouse that comes with the MX 5500 mouse & keyboard bundle. That is the bluetooth version of the MX Revolution.
Ah... right. My fault. That little tiny rear end USB reciever was screaming bluetooth at me. Never seen an RF receiver for USB that was that small. Well I guess that means there is NO reason to get the performance mouse over the revolution, especially now that the revolution is almost half the price of the performance MX at newegg.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Are there any decent wireless mice with the 3rd and 4th button on opposite sides like the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.0? It is pretty much the greatest mouse ever, other than the fact that it's wired.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=21&pcid=6d84da20-67bc-4d16-a1f8-c89637d8b911&type=ovr
Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I love you. You are my loving hero.
Hey look! :20bux: + free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105049