Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The Mad Catz mouse is rated at 5600 loving dpi? Jesus, if you look at that thing the wrong way the cursor might actually shoot through the side of your monitor and break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

KickStand posted:

Just a quick question is there a point where dpi becomes redundant?

I used to play games on a standard Microsoft cheapo mouse and switched over to a Razer Boomslang and I could tell the difference, I absolutely loved my Boomslang but it only has a dpi of 1800, I haven't bought a gaming mouse in a long time and now they are all the way up to 5600 or higher. I really dont understand how much of a difference I would notice. Would it be similar to jumping from the cheap Microsoft to the Boomslang? or is it more of a :dong: thing "My dpi is 5 billion yours is only 4 :smug:"

Actually using 5600 dpi is almost certifiably retarded. You can practically blink at the mouse and the pointer will streak from one side of the screen to the other. I honestly don't see how anyone could control anything at all with a mouse that sensitive.

What's more important, I think, is having a mouse with more modes of instantly adjustable DPI so you can adjust your sensitivity in-game on the fly, the more modes available the better. I bought a Logitech G5 a few years ago and still enjoy it, one of my favorite things about the mouse being the fact that it has 3 instantly available sensitivity settings. I usually adjust the mouse sensitivity using the middle DPI setting so when I'm in-game, I can go higher or lower if I need to. It tops out at 2000 DPI and I even find that to be too sensitive for most things.

Honestly, I really like the mouse, but if I could change it, I'd give it a few more thumb buttons, a better wheel, and instead of 3 DPI settings, I'd up the number to something like 5 or 7 for more variable DPI settings available at one time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 8, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I tried the Mamba. I wanted to like it but really couldn't, after being used to the Logitech G5 for so long. The Mamba is too long for my tastes, and the battery adds a weird, off balance weight to it that I didn't like. Your hand is set to pick the mouse up in front, which is a very light part of the mouse, but the battery is set in the very back of the mouse, making that part heavier, so picking up the Mamba feels a little awkward because it's off balance, sort of like you're picking up a broom from the floor by grabbing the very tip of the stick. I mean it's obviously much more subtle than that, but if you're used to the Logitech G series mice, which are very well balanced, you'll feel it.

Also, the way the sides of the G series mice are shaped and textured really aids in picking them up. The Mamba's sides are slick plastic and fairly verticle, with not much edge to grab onto.

What the Mamba did have going for it, however, was the wheel, two side buttons, and the 7-step adjustable DPI. The Mamba's wheel was fantastic. It felt really smooth, was completely silent, and very easy to click. The DPI is easy to adjust and the adjustment buttons are unobtrusive. And, the side buttons are setup in good positions.

Still though, as much as I wanted to like the Mamba, I returned it and stuck with my G5. The best way to describe the difference, I guess, would be to say that the G5 disappears in my hand after a few minutes, while the Mamba constantly reminded me that I was using it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 8, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

quote:

If I could take a Logitech MX518, add a tad bit of weight to it and replace the wheel with the wheel out of the original boomslang, I would have the perfect mouse.

Anybody think it might actually be possible to do something like this? Has anybody ever made a Frankenmouse?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Has anybody actually used that Mad Catz shapeshifting mouse or whatever it's called? If you have, how is it?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Teledahn posted:

Is it silly to advertise the maximum DPI? Since that's adjustable, and I don't see why anyone would run them at 5600, that seems like overkill. Seems like it could mislead folks into thinking that mice could be too sensitive.

Thanks for the info!

And yeah, having a mouse with a 5600 dpi laser would be like having an outdoor rock concert PA system in your bedroom. With a mouse set to that speed, I honestly think I'd have to really concentrate on moving the mouse *exactly* right to so much as click on a desktop icon. And you can forget about hyperlinks or other smaller buttons.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The only difference between the RAT 7 and 9 is that the 9 is wireless, right?

I've used a G5 for the last several years and it's my favorite mouse, but there are definitely a few things I'd change about it. It could use another thumb button in addition to the one it has, and the wheel could be significantly improved

I'd love to try out a RAT 7. Do all the custom shaping options really feel effective in being able to adjust the mouse perfectly to your hand, or do they seem like slightly more of a gimmick?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is there anywhere somebody can go and actually play around with a Cyborg RAT 7 before buying it? Do any major stores carry them in stock? I'd love to try one out, but I really don't feel like messing with the shipping to return it if I don't like it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

MasterWerk posted:

Logitech is releasing their new wireless gaming mouse, the G700.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/logitech-g700-mouse-and-g930-headset-review/

Looks like the Performance MXform factor with a few extra buttons. I may be getting a new mouse. I am, however, surprised that they didn't just make a wireless G500.

God drat Logitech can be dumb sometimes. Everybody just wants an updated MX518. Just make it, Logitech. If you're going to make a new mouse, make it in the body style and with the materials and textures of the MX518. Not the G5, and especially not the G500. Just give us a better 518. Everybody loves that mouse. It's everybody's favorite, and everybody knows it. Just make it and make it better. Give it a laser, lots of sensitivity settings, a better wheel, and maybe a couple more side buttons if you want. Hell, just give it the extra buttons that your new, fancy wireless mouse has. Those three alternate-left-click buttons look really cool, and so do the 4 side buttons. Hell, put those things on the 518. That's all everybody wants. Stop loving around and trying to change poo poo just to change it. We don't want NEW and INNOVATIVE for NEW and INNOVATIVE's sake. We want a better 518.

Sorry for the :spergin: but goddamn.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 5, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Linux Nazi posted:

I don't disagree with you about getting simply an updated MX518, but as far as I am concerned the G500 is pretty much just that. It has basically the same shape with a modernized gaming mouse feature set. So unless you are talking about aesthetics or simplifying the design a bit so it is more vanilla and not so much gaming oriented, I really don't follow ya.

Well, the G500 is close, but to be :spergin: again, the rubber on it has a completely different feel to it than any other mouse Logitech makes, they managed to make it feel just like sandpaper. It kind of makes the whole mouse feel cheap and crappy. Sure, it's nitpicky as hell, but every other mouse they've made has felt great by comparison. Just seems odd to me.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 6, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cortana posted:

I wouldn't touch a G5 until they fix the Windows7 mouse-freeze bug that no one wants to talk about or fix, Microsoft OR Logitech.

I had to switch mine out for an M500... which has no problems, but my G5 will pause, the sensitivity lights go out for 5-20 seconds every few minutes while in use. Annoying as gently caress.

Huh. Mine's never done anything like that and I've been using Windows 7 and a G5 for probably 8 months now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I've been reading up on the RAT 7, and apparently there's a few forums talking about problems with the sensor. Namely, the RAT 7 and 9 use the Phillips Twin Eye sensor for the laser, which is said to have problems with its Z axis. In other words, the mouse doesn't stop moving when it's picked up slightly off the mouse pad like other mice do. It will keep tracking for just a little bit. In practice, this means that when you pick up the mouse and put it back down again, your cursor will probably move around a lot on the screen.

Apparently this is a known issue with the laser, and when Mad Catz heard about the problem, they basically pulled a Steve Jobs and told users they were using the mouse incorrectly and hey, who lifts up a high-DPI mouse anyway, amirite? High five.

What a shame. I was really considering buying this mouse, too. But when a problem like this is acknowledged by the company, then the company blames the problem it on the user for using the product in a perfectly-normal-and-commonplace-but-not-exactly-like-Mad-Catz-wants-them-to way, well it doesn't exactly say good things about the company.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 9, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Well, it's good to hear the problem isn't all that noticable. Honestly, it seems like a great mouse otherwise. Still, I have to say that the way the company handled the PR about the problem wasn't all that great though.

Also, I've heard about another issue of the mouse, that there's a screw right where your thumb is supposed to rest. Seems like that would get annoying. Does anoybody who owns the mouse find this to be an issue?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Is there a way to better configure things??

A lot of higher end mice these days come with both multiple DPI sensitivity buttons for on the fly adjustments, and software that makes each setting fully customizable.

Don't worry about mice that boast about insane settings like 5600 DPI. You'll most likely be able to easily adjust them down to like 800-1000 DPI with pretty much no problems. I use a Logitech G5 that's capable of 2,000 DPI, but I've never even adjusted the highest sensitivity setting past like 1,600, and even that's pushing it.

Anyway, I think you'll find it a lot easier to use a modern, more sensitive mouse with whatever OS you're using, just because of how adjustable they are. Even the most senstive mice with 5 million DPI ratings can usually be adjusted to as low as like 400. Set the OS mouse input to a really low sensitivity and the mouse itself to a high sensitivity and vice versa. See which way feels the best to you and just go from there. The more controls you have to work with, the finer the level of detail you'll be able to adjust to will be.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 15, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The number one priority for me, far and away above anything else, is ergonomics. After a few minutes, does the mouse still remind me that I'm using it, or does it just kind of meld with my hand so that I almost don't even feel it anymore? The next priority is how many buttons it has and where they are placed on the mouse.

For years I've used a Logitech G5. The shape of the mouse and the material it's made from is fantastic, but the middle click takes a lot more force than it needs to and there's only 1 thumb button. If a Logitech released a G5 with an easier-to-click wheel and like 4 thumb buttons, I'd buy 10 of them and use them for the rest of my life.

So, Logitech G700, owners, how well does that mouse fit your hand? How rough are the rubber grips?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 24, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Greedish posted:

Just bought an MX518. Hope y'all didn't lie to me! :argh:

Don't worry, you will love it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
The worst thing about the Logitech G series mice is that their graphic designers are apparently locked in the early 90's.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I'll just throw it out there that while I loved the G5, I wasn't a fan of the G500 at all, for one single reason. The rubber around the outside feels like sandpaper. Apparently they did this so that the rubber would feel good to people whose hands sweat profusely, because those people complained about the G5's finer grained rubber coating feeling slimy after their hands got sweaty. I personally have never had an issue with that and my G5 has felt amazing ever since I first plugged it into my computer several years ago, but that's what makes the world go round I guess.

All I'm really saying is that you should probably play around with one before you buy it first. And that goes for any mouse, really.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Does anybody have any experience with the Razer Naga's reliability? I've heard Razer mice can have some shaky build quality issues sometimes. Does anybody know of any specific issues the Naga has that somebody interested in one might like to know about?

Also, does the Naga have the option to take those two buttons close to the main left click button and assign them to be variable DPI buttons?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 30, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Okay, so because of Best Buy's new no restocking fee policy, I've tried out a few mice lately. Specifically:

Cyborg RAT 7
Logitech G700
Razer Naga
Logitech MX518

Here are some brief thoughts and personal opinion on these mice. You can read about the features on these mice anywhere, so I'm just going to talk about what it's actually like to put them in your hand and play around with them. Also, I'm coming from an amazing Logitech G5 after having used it for years, just in case you'd like to know what I'm used to.

Cyborg RAT 7: The first thing that struck me about this mouse was that it isn't really all that comfortable to hold. No matter what you do, it's always too flat and too wide. Also, the adjustable thumb section would never tighten all the way down, so it stayed kind of... flobbery. And creaky. No matter what combination of extra parts and adjustments I made, it never really fit my hand. Didn't really feel all that solid. Also, the sniper button might be a neat idea, but I didn't like it all that much. The wheel felt pretty good. It's a button on the side of the mouse, so it requires side pressure to keep engaged, which takes away from one's ability to finely tune the pointer when he needs the most precision. Again, the sniper button is a neat idea, but any mouse with a reasonably easy to reach DPI selector will serve you much better.

Overall, some good ideas and principals here, but I didn't like the execution. Also, it's not as heavy as some internet sites make it out to be. With all the weights removed, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between it and a lot of other mice. Oh, and there's no Z-axis problems like I've read about, where the mouse still tracks after you pick it up. Yeah, that doesn't happen.

Logitech G700: The mouse is extremely ergonomical and has a great shape to it. Good weight. It fits well in the hand. Also, some people will complain that the cord is too thick/hard to move around when plugged in. I didn't think that was an issue at all. In wireless mode, there's no lag at all. None. I played TF2 with it for a while and at one point, I looked down and realized the mouse was unplugged from the cord (I still had the wireless USB dongle plugged in) and it still performed just as if it was plugged in.

The extra buttons seem like they'd be great, but when one button is always dedicated to profile changes and two buttons need to be dedicated to DPI adjustments, you're left with 5 more buttons. One that's close to the index finger and four side buttons. This seems great until you feel those side buttons. There's something about them I didn't like. It seems way too easy to press buttons you don't want to press.

Basically, out of all those buttons, I found a practical use for about 3/4 of them aside from the standard left, right, and middle click buttons. The first aldernate index finger button and 2/3 of the side buttons. Also, the side buttons ar pointed, not flat, probably in effort to distinguish them from each other. However, it just makes them feel funny to press. It might not seem like a big deal at first, but would you rather press the flat surface of a button or the diagonal edge of it constantly?

The worst part of the mouse though is the finish. Logitech likes to play with different grains of rubber or whatever it is they use to coat their mice and it shows on the G700. The G700's rubberized finish is somewhere between the G5's (or the MX518's, they're the same) fine grained, smooth finish, and the sandpaper-like exterior of the G500. What you end up with feels like, well, fine grain sandpaper, and it's obnoxious. It will dry the crap out of your hands, and it always feels like there's a weird dust under your thumb, even though there isn't.

I wanted to like this mouse, but it just wasn't for me.

Logitech MX518: Tried and true, an old favorite. This thing has been around forever, and I can see why. It feels great, all its buttons are setup in very useable positions, and it's cheap. What's not to like! The thumb buttons are easy to access and it deals very well with the ring and pinky fingers. The ring finger rests on the little ledge to the right of the right click button, and the pinky stays on the side in a little cutout spot that makes picking up the mouse easy. However, there are some downsides. The up and down DPI buttons are above and below the mouse wheel instead of right next to each other. This makes rapid adjustments a little clumsy feeling as you have to cross the wheel when you make them. Also, the wheel feels a little cheap. Pressing it feels fine, but spinning it feels like rough rubber rubbing against hard plastic or cardboard or something. It's enough to be distracting when scrolling around web pages.

Fit and finish wise, the mouse feels light, but it doesn't feel cheap. It seems like this mouse would be great for just about anybody if only the wheel didn't feel so cheap and crappy to spin.

Razer Naga: Now this one is interesting. It is actually a very ergonomic mouse despite the number pad on the side. It's actually extremely comfortable, although its form factor is a tiny bit smaller than what I'd consider ideal. It's just a little bit awkward to palm grip though because your fingers extend just a tiny bit further than the buttons go. Claw grippers will love it though. Still, I'm generally a palm grip kind of guy and I like it a lot. Definitely feels a lot better than the G700.

The first thing I noticed about the way it feels though is the way it deals with the ring finger. If you look at pictures, you'll see the ring finger has its own small, downward curving platform. Your ring finger will probably spend a decent amount of time touching the table or consciously placed on that surface instead of just relaxed. You'd almost have to train yourself to relax it by putting your hand in the right position. This is an almost microscopic nitpick though. The mouse really does feel great compared to all the other mice.

The wheel feels great to both spin and press, which is rare. The main buttons feel and sound good to click. The smaller two buttons to the left of the main left click button, buttons 4 and 5, are a little awkward to quickly press because they feel more like they're on the diagonal edge of the mouse rather than right next to the main click button, but buttons 4 and 5 feel right at home as DPI adjustment buttons. The number buttons on the side actually feel great, too. They're all easy to press and they're in a good location on the mouse, except for maybe the 10-12 buttons.

Oh, and yes, the dedicated sofware does quickly and easily allow you to toggle the mouse's X-TREEM blue lighting. There's a toggle for lighting the logo and another toggle for lighting the number pad + mouse wheel.

As far as pointer response, all the mice perform well in that area. They all have functional software that makes fine tuning button bindings, DPI levels, and specific DPI adjustments easy. They all perform well at the hardware level. Although the RAT 7 did feel a little loose in the adjustment department.

Overall, I'm definitely keeping the Naga. It seems to both have excellent ergonomics on the whole, and its button options are defintely better than all the other mice I tried, and not just because of the number of them. The Naga's buttons all feel better located and individually designed. The jury is still out on whether I keep the MX518, just because it's so similar to my G5. I got such a good deal on it though, that I think I might as well.

So there you have it. I'm keeping the Razer Naga and most likely the MX518. I returned the RAT 7 and the G700. The RAT 7 went back fast. That didn't take long at all to figure out. The G700 was a tough call. I wanted to like it but there were too many negatives.

If you have any additional questions about these mice, ask away! I'll try to answer anything I can.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 1, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Funkz posted:

What did you think of the RAT9 then? I've been a Logitech-man almost all my life but now I'm looking for a new cordless mouse and I got to say that the RAT9 looks bitching.

I've played with the RAT 7, which is identical except it's wired, and to me, it's WAY too low to the table and too wide, even considering all the adjustment options you have. And the sniper button, while a cool idea, is ultimately less useful than quickly accessed DPI buttons with the lowest setting on whatever sniper view speed you'd want. And personally, I thought it felt kind of cheap overall, as some adjustment pivot points can get a little creaky.

However, that's just my personal opinion though. As far as objectively looking at functionality, the mouse is fine. Despite the creakiness of the adjustment joints, the buttons themselves feel good and solid and the mouse tracks fine. Also, I've heard people talk about an issue with the laser where it keeps on tracking even after you pick the mouse up off the surface. I didn't find that to be an issue at all.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Critical posted:

I found the Holy Grail of mice on sale at Best Buy for $40 this week. MX518 love is totally justified, I'm in love with this thing.

It's a fantastic mouse, isn't it? As great as it is, I would probably kill for an MX518 with the G5's matte finish though. The slick finish of the 518 never suited me, I always found it sticky, but I always wished the G5 had the two thumb buttons instead of just one.

Actually, I wonder if that part of the mouse could be swapped.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

thrawn86 posted:

maybe something like this would work?

http://lifehacker.com/5709251/give-your-iphone-a-matte-brushed-finish-with-sandpaper

Now that's a pretty good idea. I'll pick one of these mice up and try that. If it doesn't work, it's what, $45 to find out if the perfect mouse actually exists?

I'm gonna do it. I'll report back with what happens.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Goo posted:

We are replacing the MX518 with the G400, which does not have a glossy keyplate. It still has the soft-touch sides, though.

The G400 looks fantastic. Can't wait to pick one up. And hey, logitech finally took a mouse with the MX518 body style and gave it a finish that I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen at work using!

Oh, and just for future reference, please don't ever retire the body style of the MX518/G5. Those things are so ergonomic and comfortable it's ridiculous. Best mice ever made.

I do have a question or two though. How many DPI settings are available at once with that mouse? Are there LEDs somewhere on it to display which DPI setting you're on, or are we just going to need to remember it? And will we be able to choose how many DPI settings will be available at once? And finally, is the G400's mouse wheel the same internally as the G5 or the MX518? Because I have to say, that was probably the area of the mice that could have used the most improvement. The wheel for the MX518 kind of squeaked when you rolled it, and the G5's wheel was easy to press right and left, but it took a really, uncomfortably high amount of force to press. If the G400 has an improved wheel, I'll probably buy like 5 of the things and never worry about mice again.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 10, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hey Goo, lately, Logitech has been experimenting with different grains of rubber finishes on their mice. Will the G400's rubber parts be finished in the same rubber grain as the MX518?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Goo posted:

The soft-touch finish on the side of the MX518/G400 is actually a special type of paint. For the G400 this paint has been reformulated in an effort to make it somewhat more durable, but it should feel pretty much the same as the MX518.

Good to hear. Because honestly, the larger-grained finishes were basically the biggest reasons I returned both the G500 and G700 mice back to the store when I bought them to try them out.

I'm glad the G400's finish will be finer grained. Again, can't wait to pick one up!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

kagebot posted:

Where did you read that?
Its not on the site or in the store.

He works for Logitech, so he probably read it at work. :ssh:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I just picked up a Logitech G400 at Best Buy and I have to say, I've been using a Logitech G5 since they came out years ago and haven't felt that any mouse I've tried since then has been a suitable replacement, much less an upgrade.

The G400 might actually change that though. Here's what I think about it after using it for a few hours.

- The black matte finish looks and feels wonderful. It doesn't seem to get sticky or frictiony as your hand warms up, and it's not riced-out with wacky color patterns from the 80's so it can be used at work without that one hot coworker in the office seeing it and laughing in your face for being such a huge dork.
- Best shaped mouse in the industry. I've never used a mouse that fit my hand as well as ones with this body style.
- Mousewheel feels good, clicks easily without too much pressure needed.
- The mouse has one of the coolest and most useful features I've seen on a mouse in years (even cooler than the RAT's sniper button, which incidentally this mouse can be setup to have as well): The application button, well, any button if you want but the application button works best, can serve as a DPI Default button, which means that you can select one of your DPI settings in Setpoint as the DPI Default setting and at any time after that, you can press the DPI Default button and the mouse will always change back to the default DPI setting you assigned. Say you have 5 DPI settings and you select the DPI Default for setting number 3. Whether you set the DPI way down to snipe more accurately or way up high to compensate for slow tank cannon rotation or something, once you're done, you can just press the DPI Default button once and the mouse is back to the sensitivity setting you chose as default without having to remember what setting you were on or how far up or down you were from your preferred "standard" setting. It's something I can see myself using a lot.
- The pointer behaves like it should, no issues to speak of here. The first thing I did was turn off the acceleration in Setpoint though, not sure how the software acceleration behaves.
- All buttons are remappable and very customizable in Setpoint. The software seems to be quite fully featured actually, despite its reputation.

Dislikes
- There seems to be a very small amount of play in the left click button before it hits the actuator that clicks the mouse, which kind of makes the mouse feel a little bit cheap. I don't mean there's some play in the clicking mechanism itself; that seems to be fine. I'm saying that there feels like there's a very small amount of air between the actual plastic piece your finger touches and the internal mechanism that clicks when depressed. It's not a huge deal, but it's enough that you can hear a small "clunk" sound every time you put your finger against the left click button.

So in other words, with the Right Mouse Button, if you start with your finger in the air and you goal is to click the Right Mouse Button, you hear "click click" which is the sound of the actuator clicking and unclicking. If you want to click the Left Mouse Button and start with your finger in the air, you hear a kind of "clunk click click" which is the mouse button hitting the actuator, then the actuator clicking and unclicking, respectively. Again it's a small issue, but it's there. Maybe it's just a fluke with my particular mouse, though.

Overall, I think the G400 is pretty fantastic and I'll probably be retiring my old G5 pretty soon with this as its replacement. Goo, you are awesome and you did an awesome job with this thing. If you can nail down the loose button issue (which may or may not be an actual issue or just my crippling gadget OCD kicking in) this is going to be a mouse Logitech will be able to reliably sell for the next 10 years, easily.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 6, 2011

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I'd just like to report back and say that the more I use my G400, the more I like it. After trying out tons of different mice from several different companies since the original Logitech G5, I've finally found its replacement. I'm pretty much totally happy with it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

:hfive:

Probably doesn't apply to most goons, but I suspect this may otherwise be a frequent reason.

How could that apply to anybody but goons?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

http://triq.net/articles/mouse-acceleration-preference-pane-mac-os-x

Turn the acceleration slider for mouse the whole way down to -6.0x if you want to remove OSX's acceleration. It says "inverted", but I tested it and found no positive or negative acceleration at -6.0x.

Holy crap. Thank you for this. I pretty much can't use macs with anything but track pads because the mouse acceleration is so bad in OSX. I have no idea who could have possibly tested the default settings and thought "Yep, this is good. I like this" but is definitely wasn't anybody with opinions anything like mine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cicero posted:

edit: Just turned off mouse acceleration so it feels weird but it's apparently what you're supposed to do to be good at sc2.

Turning off mouse acceleration is great because it means your mouse will always go exactly where you move it, no matter the speed. Whether you move the mouse at 1 foot per second or 100, stopping your mouse in the same place will always make your cursor stop in the same place.

I dislike acceleration so much that I'll go to the trouble of looking up and downloading 3rd party programs that remove it if the OS doesn't natively allow it. After a few days you'll probably never want to go back.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

HClChicken posted:

Looking at replacing my mx518 with another mx518. But I need a replacement mousepad. Hoping to get one bigger than the standard size you see at walmart. Plus one that doesn't slip on glass so much.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-QcK-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B000UEZ36W/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327172940&sr=1-6

I had this in mind. Is this recommened for a glass desktop?

Just so you know, don't get another mx518. Get a G400. It's the mx518's replacement and it's got the same body style but with better features in every way. For what it's worth, the opinion of at least one random dude on the internet is that I've tried almost every mouse in this thread and I think the G400 beats them all. It's super comfortable and supports all types of grips (palm, claw, etc.) and the included software is awesome and lets you completely customize everything about it. It's amazing.

Plus it's only like $50.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 21, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

There's no place to grip with your pinky or ring finger, so picking that thing up when you need to would be... a giant pain in the rear end at best.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I haven't been to this thread in a while but I just wanted to stop in and ask something if that's alright.

If anybody here has connections with Logitech, would you please tell the LeeTzzzz GAmeRzZzzZzz who must be running that company to stop ruining every decent, professional quality product they have (specifically the G400 mouse) with embarrassing totally rad edgy graphics that look like they came straight out of TRON if TRON was made in the 90s and thus impossible to use in any professional environment aka anywhere that's not a blacklight lit goon basement please.

Thank you!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 1, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Goo frequents this thread and is pretty receptive to feedback on their products. I completely agree with this opinion as well. I travel for work, and game occasionally in the hotel. I don't really need my mouse to scream "Look at me!". One of the reasons I like my G700 is that is passes in a conservative, corporate environment. One of the reasons I've hesitated on the G602 (in spite of the better battery life, which I as a traveler would really appreciate) is the childish branding.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Logitech's quality and design functionality, but from a business perspective, I cannot imagine anything but the crappiest of products, which Logitech products are not, benefitting from these ridiculous nerd racing stripes but I can easily see people shying away from them due to their looks.

If I had to guess, I'd assume the crazy graphics probably lose them many sales while gaining them approximately zero. Anybody who is going to spend that much on a mouse or keyboard is going to to it for the quality, so the looks don't matter unless they're particularly juvenile and kitschy, like in this case.

Basically they're selling Ferraris, but refusing not to paint "I heart fedoras+jorts and am a child" painted on the sides. :iiaca:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 1, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Goo posted:

By far the most common complaint about the G400 was that it did not have the reflex paint ("dented metal") finish of the MX518.

I actually didn't mind the reflex paint finish. Not that it was better than the g400's matte black finish of course, but as crazy finishes go it was the best because it was subtle enough to be almost unnoticeable if you didn't directly look at it, but just apparent enough to be interesting without being distracting if you did look right at it.

You would still get mocked at work for having one, though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 3, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Just bought a Logitech G502 and my opinion is mixed.

Pros:
  • I love the concave left click button.
  • Lots of buttons, and they're in good, well thought-out places
  • Clicking feels and sounds perfect. Not the most important thing in the world really but it's nice enough to mention
  • The general shape is excellent, maybe the thumb slot is a bit narrow but other than that, it's one of the more comfortable mouse shapes I've used
Cons:
  • Too heavy. Lifting it feels awkward
  • Mouse wheel feels stupid. The metal feels clunky and heavy when scrolling forward and back. They should have gone with the lighter, cheaper resin wheel of the 402 and done away with the left/right scroll wheel clicking nonsense
  • Mouse wheel in free spin mode clanks around within its housing when you move the mouse quickly back and fourth
  • The textured grip meterial/pattern is super uncomfortable

The most damning thing I can say about the mouse is that it doesn't "disappear" from my awareness when I play video games with it. I always notice this mouse. You know how when you put on a good pair of shoes, you forget about them pretty quickly when you start walking? A good mouse should be the same way. A good mouse should disappear from your awareness pretty quickly when you begin using it. This one doesn't seem to do that, partially because of the weight and partially because of the grip.

Make this mouse lighter and get rid of that textured grip on the sides and it might be the best mouse ever made.

I carefully cut out a piece of duct tape to go over the grip texture on the outer side and it's 200% better, but I'd really rather not have to do that to an expensive ~xXx_GAMER_xXx~ mouse. Either way, there are enough cons that I'm thinking about returning it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 17, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Is this the wired version (and I'm assuming you're using it without the optional weights, right?) or the new Lightspeed wireless version (which if I'm not mistaken weighs less than the wired version?)

Wired. Using it without the weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Even the wireless version is extremely heavy. I just wish someone would make a mouse with buttons on top that's a reasonable size/weight and a modern sensor.

The MX518 reissue has three buttons on top of the mouse intended for DPI stuff, but you can rebind those buttons to whatever you want. They're tiny and placed between the left and right click buttons (one above the wheel, two below) so they're not the most easily accessed buttons in the world, but they're there, and the MX518 is one of the most comfortable mouse designs ever, so...

Actually I might look into returning the 502 and picking up an MX518.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 17, 2019