Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I just bought a used MX revo on Amazon for $33 +$5 shipping, and it's mint. Even the box is mint. I love it.

YMMV -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HCT12O/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1259391148&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
That mamba looks so snazzy.

So I left my new Revo at work, and I'm at home using my blue G5.. and I totally miss the revo. This thing just feels goofy compared to it now. It feels very bulbous.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
The only thing that I ever disliked about the Logi gaming mice (having owned both G5 colors, and 518) was the "gamery" look. Now that they're making classy looking mice such as the MX Perf, I'm in love.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I just paid $70ish for a Performance MX, and drat, I love it. Long time G5/g500 user, this thing feels so much more sturdy.

edit: It's also the first mouse I've had that actually synced with Logitech Control Center (osx) and has all of its buttons working "normally" in osx.. with no settings changes.

vty fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 12, 2010

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
That picture shows up fine.

I'd assume you'd get a G500 if they don't have 518s around.

Anyway, has anyone ever connected a Performance MX via USB to a Mac? I'm missing my Unifying receiver right now, and I plugged the mouse in-- and all it does is charge. It's not being discovered by anything on my macbook. Not under Mouse, nor under the Logitech Control Center.

vty fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 8, 2010

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Goo posted:

I'm pretty sure the Performance MX is wireless only - the USB cable is for charging only, not data. So unless you have the receiver plugged in to your Mac, you won't be able to use it.

You... appear to be correct.

That's what I began to assume until I watched the new G700 video. The Logitech guy mentioned that in the cases that you have to be sure of no latency, you can plug it in. So, I decided to give it a shot again on my MX.

Well, that sucks. I have a G5 to mess around with, but it doesn't compare at all.

I will say one thing to Logitechs defense- I looked up how much it would be to purchase a 1-2 new unifying receivers to put on all my computers, and they're only $10/ea. These are usually those items that a company will screw you over so hard on that its typically worth it to just buy a new product.

<3 Logitech.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Athropos posted:

Welp, my loving Deathadder started doing the Razer thing of sometimes doing double clicks when single clicking. Happened to my Diamondback too. It's a hardware problem and I'm not going to open the thing to put WD40 in it or something. I'd have to rip appart the bottom plasting thing that makes the mouse slide better.

I'm never buying razer again. They have great designs, they tend to be a lot better than the "brick with a laser at the bottom with buttons scattered around" that logitech has going on. I tried giving my old mx518 a go after my Deathadder started loving up but I really can't go back to a mouse made for huge loving hands or people who never played a fast paced shooter with a decently low sensitivity in their lives. But at least logitech make mice that don't break from regular usage after 6 months. Razer's construction is really weak. My gripe with mx518 style mice is that it's not designed to be a mouse you grasp between your left thumb and your two rightmost fingers to control it. It's the kind of mice that you move with your whole palm and that is a lot less precise.

Find me a mouse that is like a deathadder but not made by Razer.

I have tiny girl hands (I'm a guy, sorry) and I absolutely love the fitment of my Performance MX. Now, admittedly this mouse has made me think my old G5 is what you mentioned - a brick with a laser. I hate using that mouse.

I'd recommend trying the new mice (Performance MX and above) at Frys. It really is vastly different.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

VectorSigma posted:

I have this mouse and I had the exact same thing happen and I deduced the exact same repair and it has lasted months with no problems. However, I was able to save the feet with little effort.

I had the same issue with two G5s and Logitech simply replaced them for me.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Logitech is like Apple for me-- every new product they put out, no matter how much I DON'T need a new mouse; I want to buy their new one.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Just retired my 4-6 year old G5 for a G500. Feels like I should shoot the guy off to space, but it's still alive and clicking.

With that said, I adore the fact that the latest Logitech software doesn't support the G500 (as in can't program macros) and I'm using some old version.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I recently found a Magic Mouse in my company inventory and started using it and.. I love it. I thought it would be so stupid until I realized all of the gestures I can use.

It's weird going home and using my logitech mouse that has a .. scroll wheel, etc.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I just got a refurbed G700 for $50 on Ebay. Finally got tired of using this Magic Mouse.. constantly gestures/scrolls when I don't mean to, and the right click is way too close to the left click. It's pretty frustrating to use, although not as bad as I thought it would be when I grabbed it out of our inventory room.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

What the hell are these weirdoes doing with their pointers, squashing actual mice? If you're actually gaming enough to be mindful of a peripheral, there's no upside in not making a mouse as light as possible!

Every weighted mouse I buy I completely fill up with the heaviest weights. A light mouse feels like something I'll break.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Well, you won't! And once you adjust to it your precision will improve.

Ultimately it's really a gaming-exclusive issue, I can envision people being more used to a heavier mouse due to their history of experience and not wanting to change. There's just no real advantage to it.

It's a personal preference, gaming or not. Who cares. Some people pick their mouse up off the pad, some don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Just got my G700 and this is terrible. I love the form factor, except the thumb hole seems.. aggressively deep.

Anyway, I'm reminded of the terrible over-dpi gaming mice of yesteryear. It's super unsmooth making small motions and the mouse acceleration is insanely aggressive and evidently I don't have the option in the Logitech Gaming Software (on OSX) to disable it. I work with files and dragging all the time, Subversion/Git stuff, and man this is frustrating at every DPI level. I can't judge how far the mouse is going to move so I'm misclicking constantly.

Edit: I disabled mouse acceleration globally via "defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1" -- much better now. FWIW I totally blame OSX for problems like this, not Logitech. I always have problems with non-Apple hardware.

vty fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 6, 2014