Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I've loved the MX518 for years. Just this past weekend I needed to get a new mouse, Best Buy had both the 518 and the new G500. I decided I would try the G500, but that was a bad idea. It felt alright in my hand, and the free scrolling wheel was nice. However I hated how it tracked, it felt laggy and unresponsive. I messed with all the settings, but I could never get anything consistent.

I returned it and picked up another 518, brought it home and haven't looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

RandomCheese posted:

I ended up getting one of these as well, it's easily the best pointing device I have ever used, and I love the scrolling method (and the awesome clicking sound) as well but it sucks because my trackball at work doesn't have this function and now I am twisting it all the time out of muscle memory.
Also I am forever making circles and shapes with my pointer on the screen just because this trackball is so nice to throw around.

Have either of you guys had the kensington expert trackball . If so how would you rate it against that. Currently I have the G502 and the Trackball expert that I swap between.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

RandomCheese posted:

Anyone that has wrist issues when using a mouse I would strongly recommend checking out a trackball, my hand sits much more naturally and feels a lot better. And it is just way more fun to use, really cool if you are the type of person to always be fiddling with toys and other desk ornaments, this ball can dance.

This is mainly why I started off with Trackballs. I can attest the scroll ring feels terrible. I have found it is even more comfortable if I tilt the trackball on its side slightly, maybe like 20-30 degrees. I prefer a normal style mouse for gaming, but I've gotten really good using both that I can swap between them pretty easily.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
As someone who just received his 502 the other day i'll give my initial impressions. First I like the mouse, feels very solid and has a good weight to it. The scroll wheel on mine when it is the lock mode has no slop in it, as some others in the thread have mentioned. My only complaint with the scroll wheel is that it is all metal. I would really like if the scroll surface had a bit of rubber on it, but I dont feel like personally it is a deal breaker. I would like if it was a little indented where my pinky rests so it was a bit easier to pick up. However this is just coming from someone who is used to lighter non gaming mice. This is my first true "gaming" mouse in some time.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
The firmware update for the 502 is great.. pulsing LED :)