Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Sorry if this was covered somewhere else, went a few pages in and didn't see anything on Peripherals.

So my awesome Logitech MX 5000 laser mouse finally stopped holding a charge after 3 years.

I've been looking to some of the higher end gaming mice...

Logitech G9/G9x
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Microsoft Sidewinder
Razer Lachesis

All of them seem to have the most of the qualities that I loved about the MX5000; Heavier feel, rechargeable, ergonomic, good side button placement.

BUT... $100... really?

Just wondering what the consensus is on these higher end setups? are they even worth consideration?

Would appreciate some feedback on what you're using as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
The way my desk is set up, it is very unfriendly to a corded mouse... I agree that their value is probably superior, but cordless just ends up being a better option for me.

[quote DVGRHL]
I have a Logitech MX Revolution, which I got when my 2 year old MX1000 (I think this was the model) stopped holding a charge. Logitech sent it to me for free since their mice come with a 3 year warranty. I absolutely love it, and will only buy Logitech mice in the future.[/quote]

The MX revolution you say? This is in a much friendly price range... I'll have to check it out. Thank you

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Carecat posted:

After using a Logitech 518, Logitech G7 and a Razer Lachesis I'd say that pricing is no help because you have no idea how much you like each mouse until you spend 8~ hours with them and there's not much way to compare unless you buy them all.

But screw wireless battery mice, they need changing too often.

Actually, my MX 5000 goes a solid week or two before it needs a charge.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

spog posted:

Yeah, I see that they are more expensive; but given the lifespan, it's probably worth it to save the hassle of having to run an extra USB hub.

However, the premium does seem pretty high when compared to manufacturer's home-grown wireless solns. I wonder why?

But once you've done the inital setup, they run pretty smoothly, right? I'd really rather not use up one of my precious USB ports if I can.

My supposedly 'executive' laptop comes with a whopping 3 USB ports. One gets used to run a fan stand. One to plug in a flash drive. One for an external hard drive. One for the blackberry cable. Oh, that's already too many.....

I have a MS 5000 BT mouse for my net-book, after you get through the crap shoot that is coupling it to your machine... they are work just fine.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

spog posted:

I have a (not entirely) irrational dislike of hubs.

My friend, we are of one mind.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

StupidFatHobbit posted:

Yeah the revolution is pretty awesome, once you free scroll you will never go back. Just buy one already. Works just fine for heavy gaming too, including competitive FPS games. Plus having a potential five buttons on the thumb is pretty awesome.

Ya, so I'm pretty much decided on the MX revolution. However, i waited too long and all the cool sales you guys pointed out seem to end over the weekend. Newegg is back up to $84.

If someone has a source on one cheaper please let me know.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Strange, now its back down to $59 on Newegg...

Going to grab it, thanks everyone.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Recluse posted:

Because we certainly didn't have enough Logitech MX Revolution posts, I'll throw another one in. Great mouse, the only complaint I have is the wireless receiver doesn't work so well on the rear USB ports on my PC which sits on the floor so I had to use up one of my precious front ports. I was very sad the day I accidently kicked the receiver and broke the USB connector off but $10 on the Logitech store and 2 days later I was back in business; although from other posts it seems like all I would've had to do was ask them nicely for a new one.

My MX5000 came with a nifty little USB extender dock for the receiver... you should look into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Alright, so i have one small quirk with my new MX Revo...

The strange default assignments that they give to the scroll wheel and thumb buttons. I mean it would seem logical that the thumb wheel would be set to "thumb wheel" by default right? (its not!) but its pretty easily corrected with the logitech software.

Also, for those of you who have this mouse... do you use the "smart scrool" or just manually change the scroll?