Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Bluetooth is very useful when switching machines. I can just hit a button or button combination on my keyboard and have it switch to/from my main pc, work laptop, personal laptop, steam deck, ps5, and/or switch. It can be very handy.

E: there are also mice that can work with wireless charging mousepads so you get the benefits of no wire drag on your mouse and also not having to worry about battery life ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You want buttons? What about buttons and a thumb stick: https://store.azeron.eu/azeron-keypads#keypad=cyro

Too bad about that price, though. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'd recommend the Azeron Cryo, personally: https://store.azeron.eu/azeron-keypads#keypad=cyro

It's also expensive, but I have had good experience with their Cyborg keypad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you want just a general desktop mouse (NOT GAMING!) that is small and is pushed around by finger tips, https://www.dxtmouse.com/ has some great vertical mice. I have the older DXT Mouse 2 that I use for work and general desktop use and love it. Definitely has relieved some pains compared to using a more traditional mouse. The one I have goes up to 2000 dpi and is ambidextrous (there is a button to press to switch it from left-to-right orientation).

It is a bit heavy and you can knock it over on accident sometimes. Also, recentering it on the mousepad takes more time than a traditional mouse (you tilt and lift as opposed to just lift). Even with those negatives, I still enjoy it. You move it primarily with fingertips for small movements and your whole arm for larger movements.

---

@EbolaIvory I appreciate your post! Thanks for that info.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rinkles posted:

Where does Windows even show the battery level?

Task tray in bottom right. Also, in the devices screen in the settings app.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PirateBob posted:

Is 4000 hz a meaningful upgrade vs 1000?

Doubtful. Maybe at 4k.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

Screen resolution and mouse polling rate aren't related at all.

Polling rate and screen refresh rate might have some correlation (closer sync of movement to screen update), but 1000 hz already well faster than the fastest screen refresh.

Oh, whoops. I was reading that as dpi and not hz. :v:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

comedyblissoption posted:

i would look at a mouse's tested input latency at reputable sites and completely ignore the polling hz:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/latency
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/sensor-latency

the polling hz should just be seen as a mechanism to reduce input lag. the smoothness of the mouse on high speed camera doesn't matter if some 1000 hz mouse has significantly better input lag. also, remember some games perform horribly with > 1000 hz polling.

shaving 1-3ms is a very tiny factor overall in aiming and not something that should be described as "meaningful" unless you are looking for every single possible edge and have exhausted all of the low hanging fruit to improving your aim.

Despite this, I am kinda liking the design and specs of the Pwnage StormBreaker (but hate the name): https://pwnage.com/products/stormbreaker?variant=42194765545663

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I do like tinkering as long as it isn’t a thing where I have to spend hours looking up confusing instructions or guides to do what should be simple things. I’m getting enough of that with my venture into learning professional networking stuff.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

comedyblissoption posted:

oh yah totally. people can cut 20-40ms even with a good rig by just changing around some mouse/video settings if they've never optimized them before which is actually pretty significant for all levels of play.

Out of curiosity, what would those settings be?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks! That seemed to be mostly stuff I was already doing or aware of, so I wasn't missing out on anything. The only thing that wasn't mentioned in there was Enhanced Sync for AMD. I might have to look into that later since it does increase my PQ a lot on a monitor that doesn't support FreeSync.

e: the propaganda article on it: https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/reintroducing-amd-enhanced-sync/ba-p/544484

quote:

With Enhanced Sync enabled, it allows the game to run without capping frames while also lowering the chance for screen tearing. To do so, when the monitor needs to sync with a new frame in-game, the most recently completed frame would be displayed on screen while also dropping older unneeded frames, which leads to improved responsiveness and reduced input lag as well.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 2, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EbolaIvory posted:

Every small company I've seen so far has terrible rear end customer service and depending on the mouse, questionable quality control.

With that said. If I was gonna buy an smaller non ergo right now, it'd probably be a Beast X. The new pink and blue looks amazing and its under 40 grams. I've also seen less QC issues than I have other magnesium mice.

I'm a magnesium slut now. Sorry.

https://www.wlmouse.com/products/beastx?variant=46391224500522

Wait, where is it under $40? I see it listed as $140.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EbolaIvory posted:

Where did I say its 40$?

40 Grams broski. As in weight.

Oof. My reading comprehension has gone to poo poo lately. Bad sleep for multiple months will do that, I guess.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Got the Pwnage Stormbreaker in the red colorway for Christmas from my partner. She noticed me kinda obsessing over it and it's competitors on RTings and other sites.

I have not used it to game, yet, because we are still at her folks' place. I did use it with my work laptop yesterday and today, however. First impressions are pretty good! I did have to put grip tape on the pinkie side of the mouse because I just could not get a good grip on it when recentering. Debating on putting the grip tape on the thumb side. Will have to do some gaming to figure that out.

I am excited about how lightweight it is and also that the magnesium being a better conductor of heat than plastic should help my hands to not sweat as much. I just have a real problem with my hands getting real hot when gaming. The better tracking than I have ever had is something I am looking forward to experiencing when I get home.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EbolaIvory posted:

One is the mylar pads inside. They shift for some people etc.
The other is the dots they used for the click arms. Theres a 95% chance you have multiple slick dots stuck on top of each other and at some point you'll end up feeling like its got some gap between the arm and click. Or itll feel double clicky.

Can you explain a little what you mean about the mylar pads? Where is that on the mouse so that I can be on the lookout for it?

I haven't yet noticed any odd feeling when clicking any of the buttons. I might be a lucky?

I will definitely have to join the discord. I imagine they would be able to let me know if getting one numbered in the 1,500s is one of the ones prone to a lot of issues. Since this was a Christmas gift, I might already be beyond the 30 day window, unfortunately.

e: i appreciate your advice, though! will definitely need to mess with the sensor position when i get back home

Kibner fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 29, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's all great things to know! Yeah, it would be ideal if those issues weren't a thing, but at least they are fixable and doesn't require any kind of homebrew'd solutions or hacks. It will be my fun-time mouse after work is over, so I should find the issues sooner than later. I use a DXT Vertical Mouse for work when I'm at home.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah then you're gonna enjoy the thing. Its a fun device and the premium metal feel is just great. I personally have stuck with the older software since I have no intention of moving to 4k. I run 2mm lift off because of the placement of the sensor being full forward.

You were right; I'm enjoying the thing. lol

Got home earlier today and have played a variety of games with it and I like it. I moved the sensor most of the way up so that when I accidentally twist the mouse while moving it side-to-side, the position doesn't change much. Still need to do some more fine tuning on that.

I've given it a shot in Exoprimal, Halo: Infinite, Heroes of the Storm, and Chivalry 2.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

lines posted:

Anyone got any experience or knowledge about the Azeron Cyro? I am curious about it: I have a Logitech G600 currently for playing FFXIV, but when that dies I have a Redragon backup that is kinda OK but not great, and the Cyro looks like a really interesting and potentially very comfortable design.

But it's also, obviously, kinda unique, nothing else really like this (heck, there's barely any 12 side button mice of the G600 style, and no vertical ones I know of), and very expensive, so I don't want to contemplate getting it if it's a piece of crap.

I have the Cyborg, which isn’t a mouse but I can say that it is 3d printed stuff, mostly. I wouldn’t say it is crap but it also isn’t going to be the most durable thing in the world. I think they can give you schematics if you want to print your own replacement parts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

lines posted:

This is good to know. I guess that's how they make the economics of it work. How is the Cyborg to use? I looked at it but I couldn't actually work out how it was meant to work.

Very, very well in games that support dual input (analog stick for movement and mouse for aiming) and after spending a couple hours tailoring it to your specific hand. They also sell a tenting accessory to make it even more ergonomic, which is a big reason I bought it in the first place.

Downsides include the stick being a standard stick and not a Hall effect one, clicking in of the stick (L3 on controllers) not being recommended because the lack of support, and the hat switch can’t be used like a fancy dpad without breaking.

The software is decent. It doesn’t auto-switch based on game launch. It does allow for extreme customization and you can label all the buttons on the gui it provides so you can reference what buttons do what on another monitor. You can assign each button a keyboard button, joystick button, or XInput button. Also, macros and chords are possible.

When I use it, it is very comfortable. Much more comfortable than a keyboard. Lengthy learning curve. Still very niche and not a great purchase for many people but is near perfect for me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

wash bucket posted:

Maybe I just need to keep two different mice on my desk then. "Right tool for the job" and all that.

This is the way. I have a mouse for gaming and an ergonomic vertical mouse for everything else.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nolgthorn posted:

My MX Master 3 is just about worn out and I have to replace it, is there any reason I wouldn't upgrade to the same thing? Programming, basically.

If you aren't gaming, get a vertical mouse of some kind. There are a million out there. Logitech makes some full-hand ones, DXT Mouse makes finger-tip ones, there are countless other manufacturers of them, too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rinkles posted:

And it succeeds at that for you? Those pains are among the reasons I try to minimize pc use nowadays (back issues being the other).

It works for me, yes. It made a big difference and I feel it every time I go back to using a traditional mouse for extended gaming sessions. I also use the DXT Mouse which you push around with your fingers for small movements and use your whole arm for larger movements.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I really appreciate the Stormbreaker's position-adjustable sensor. I can't say that the mouse has made my aim better, but it has definitely made it more consistent thanks to being able to put the sensor in a place that has it move more in-line with how my hand moves rather than slightly off.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EbolaIvory posted:

That means your aims better!

:)

hah, i knew i should have worded that better. "aim ceiling" or whatever

but, yeah. you right. XD

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thankfully, I have not had that issue, yet, after over 1,000 hours with the mouse.

And I do remember your effort post on that from earlier. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

haddedam posted:

1000 hours is around 3 months of 12 hours a day usage.

Oh, well, probably 400 hours, then. whoops

It's been a lot of usage.