Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Came here intending to ask if anyone else was having issues with their Logitech G series scroll wheels (I have a G603) - it would frequently scroll in the opposite direction of what I clicked. I thought it might be a mechanical issue and I'd have to RMA it but apparently they released new firmware to address it.

Updated the firmware, and it doesn't seem to have solved it. Looks like I need to RMA anyway, doh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Icept posted:

The downsides are the weight and the shell extending to act as the primary buttons instead of them being separate.

Can you explain why the shell-buttons thing is bad? Genuinely curious. I have one of these and my only complaint so far is the scroll wheel weirdness sometimes (it's been better since I reformatted my PC :shrug:)

I haven't noticed it being particularly heavy, but I think that might be due to having a fancy mouse pad (the Corsair cloth one).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

After installing the August Win10 cumulative update, I've noticed I'm having the scroll wheel issues again on my G603. Quite often when I'm scrolling down, the page will go up inexplicably. This has happened before with this same PC hardware and same mouse, even after I updated to the latest firmware which supposedly addressed this issue. When I reformatted on 6/30, it (also inexplicably) disappeared. And now it's back... joy. Additionally, the left button is starting to double-click on a single-click, which makes using the back button on my browser (among other things I'm not thinking of at the moment) extremely frustrating.

Could this have something to do with battery strength? Up until about a week ago I was getting daily notifications that the battery level was 30% or lower. First off, 30% is way too high a threshold to start spamming me with notifications. Needs to be like, 10%. I couldn't find any options to adjust this but they seemed to have stopped for now. Secondly, this mouse is supposed to have stellar battery life. I bought it in mid-March and was expecting the included batteries to last a lot longer, since I only use the lowest polling rate. Guess I'll go ahead and put in fresh batteries to see if it makes a difference.

Apparently I've got a $60 mouse with $20 mouse problems.

e: fresh batteries made zero difference. I tried re-installing both mouse drivers (MS + Logitech) and the scroll issue seems to have improved, but the click issue persists. I took the cover off and pressed directly on the microswitches... no double-clicks. The flimsy plastic cover and whatever thingie is screwed on underneath to make contact with the microswitches is the culprit. I know someone from Logitech reads and posts here - you guys need to make a design pass on this thing or use better quality plastic for the cover. I now have to decide to risk a replacement (which I have to pay for because I don't have any other mice) or find another brand.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 17, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ofecks posted:

:words: about lemon mouse

A follow-up on this: I submitted a warranty claim with Logitech, and they sent me a brand new replacement, no questions asked. They were also quick to respond and very polite and attentive. Ignoring any special treatment I may have received due to Goo's assistance, that's really drat good customer service. New mouse works fine so far. Hopefully this one lasts longer than the old one.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

I didn't know about the generous get-a-new-mouse warranty at the time so I just fixed it myself.

Some more info about my experience that I left out. I was given what's called an "advanced replacement", which means they just sent me a new one straight-up, and didn't require me to send back the defective unit. According to Goo, this does not happen often. Keep that in mind when making a warranty claim.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I've played WoW for so long that I need to rebind every other game's strafing to Q/E. This has been a problem in game like Skyrim where picking up books uses the E key and could not, from what I was able to tell, be changed by keybinds.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

isndl posted:

You can rebind keys in Skyrim, it's just that Bethesda is too incompetent to have the UI reflect your custom bindings. You have to remember what you set everything to, particularly in menus like crafting. :sigh:

Nope, not that particular key. Since E is bound to right strafe for me it just turns the pages in the book. If I recall correctly, there's no separate "pick up book" keybind to bind, either. It's simply E and nothing else.

Skryim books :argh: At least, unless you're collecting them just because, I don't think there are many books you actually need to carry with you for quests or whatever.

Koskun posted:

Default strafe in WoW is Q and E, turn is A and D.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. For the vast majority of the time I've played it, I never rebound A and D to something more useful than turning (which is also default-bound to the arrow keys), but I know better now.

Back on-topic, my new replacement mouse is working fine, but I think its lifespan may be abnormally limited as well - the G603 is a bit too large for me to use comfortably with my fingertips directly over the microswitches. That's saying something because my handspan or whatever is over 17cm which I think the mouse reviewer guy says is large. It's probably due to me needing to rest my wrist on the mouse pad for control stability (don't worry, it's actually straight due to the height of this desk vs my chair position and its armwrests). Clicking still works but the more I click off-center (and have to use slightly more pressure to do so), the faster the switches and/or contact mechanism under the cover will wear out. Just a theory at this point, we shall see.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Currently using 6400 dpi, which is pretty much the middle of the G603's dpi range. Windows sensitivity is down pretty low at 3 (out of 11). Feels pretty good.

Today I learned Windows mice speed goes to 11.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Mouse sensors haven't really gotten much better in a long time and any 4 digit dpi number is essentially done in software with significant loss of precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7JVjcPzL0

Keep in mind this video was from 2013 so advances in sensor tech might have happened since then. Logitech's own Hero sensor might be one of them.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Logitech gamepads are pretty cheap and flimsy-feeling. Unlike the go-to Xbox controllers for PC they will wear out after heavy use. But I'd be lying if I said the Logitech pads don't have good D-pads. They are clicky, responsive, and require hardly any pressure to use. That sort of thing is really important with 2D stuff (retro or otherwise) if you prefer pad to arcade stick.

I currently use a XB1 pad. It's very nice and sturdy, and while I don't like the d-pad as much as the Logitechs I've used, but it's a vast improvement over that abomination they put in the X360 one.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The G603's dimensions:

Height: 124mm (4.88")
Width: 68mm (2.68")
Depth: 43mm (1.69")

It's a big mouse. Especially depth-wise. I've discovered that an inch-and-a-half-tall and nearly 5-inch-long mouse isn't ideal for my hands. YMMV of course.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Does anyone here have experience with getting equipment replaced straight through logitech? Is it their procedure to send out a replacement once you provide proof of purchase, or do they wait for the defective product to come in?

Yes, I had to get my G603 replaced a while back. Button + scroll wheel issues. Quoting myself for some pertinent information:

Ofecks posted:

Some more info about my experience that I left out. I was given what's called an "advanced replacement", which means they just sent me a new one straight-up, and didn't require me to send back the defective unit. According to Goo, this does not happen often. Keep that in mind when making a warranty claim.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Kind of like how CRTs used to be the better gaming monitors because they had a much lower latency, and now it doesn't matter at all because there's a ton of IPS monitors with 1ms response times.

It still matters for retro stuff with analog outputs, as converting (or in this case, upscaling) 240p resolution to something modern inputs will accept will always add a few frames (16ms each), even with fancy solutions like the Framemeister and OSSC. Regarding PC games and emulators, you have lots of latency to deal with - USB polling, OS response, graphics driver response, monitor speed (which usually isn't as low as the package declares), etc. All that stuff adds up to several frames, usually. Enabling Vsync to make it smooth adds several more frames. That's why, if you play something you used to be good at as a kid on an emulator, and find it to be far harder than you remember - input delay is likely the culprit. Retroarch has made some advances on this - first Hard GPU Sync, and now some wacky run-ahead thing that, to the best of my knowledge, rapidly cycles save-states in advance of the virtual machine's actual state... or something.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

By default my previous cheapo mouse's little-button-below-the-scrollwheel click was Open Task View (Windows Key + Tab) which I found was a lot easier to use than Alt + Tab plus added window previews, so I rebound my G603's similar button (default is DPI cycling) to that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

That's interesting, I had no idea. I do have an external USB 3.0 HDD but it is off (power unplugged) unless I need to read from it or write to it (not very often, just for backup purposes). Never noticed any mouse problems while it's active.

The G603 comes with a dongle extender cable, which according to that white paper, is one of the mitigation methods.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 24, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Wengy posted:

The keyboard thread is intimidatingly nerdy. I think I'll want something durable, suited for gaming (since that's all I do with that PC) and numpadless.

Numpads aren't going away are they? I definitely need mine, as I was absent during most of 10th grade typing class during the number lessons, so I'm effectively garbage at touch-typing those. Plus alt-codes, gaming function (autocast in Diablo 3 and DCSS), and quick calculator stuff.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

tildes posted:

They realllllly need to make a bigger version of it imo. It’s way too small for my hands but seems great otherwise :( I want the mouse equivalent of the giant phone craze so I can finally use a mouse palm grip just to see what it’s like.

Try the G603 sometime, it is rather large.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Been using the same batteries in my G603 since August of last year, and it only just started giving me low (30%) notifications a couple weeks ago. Right now it's reporting 20% but I'm gonna ignore them until 10%. I use it probably 12-14 hours a day and these were the batteries it came with (had to RMA the old one and this is the replacement).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I changed my G603's DPI button to that Windows function that displays all active windows in a grid (Winkey + Tab). Easier than alt-tab cycling.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I've been using a G603 for the past 3 years. It's my 2nd one actually, I had to RMA the first after a month because it almost immediately started clicking wildly out of control. There was a Logitech employee who posted here at the time and they helped me get it resolved. Now I'm running into a similar issue with the one they sent, I only just noticed it becoming more frequent this past week. I saw Klyiths' repair post on the last page, but I don't have the motor skills for that sort of thing.

I looked at the G305 as a possible replacement, as it is smaller which I would prefer, but I'm on my 4th Logitech mouse in the past 5 years. I'm kinda tired of giving them money when their products keep breaking down on me. Also GHub sucks and, among other issues, refuses to put the correct DPI on the on-board profile so I have to use the live mode or whatever it's called.

Is there any mouse manufacturer out there that has good config software, high-performance sensor and wireless tech, and actual good microswitches on the buttons? I only want 6 buttons (standard L/R, scroll wheel, DPI [I always change this to WinKey + Tab], two on left side), a smaller form factor than the 603, and I don't care at all about RGB.

If I'm stuck with Logitech, has anyone used the 305 and have a trip report on it? Should I go for something with a Hero sensor? I currently use the 603 in endurance mode only so I may not need something that fancy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Razer has a few mice with optical switches. Those are the only mice currently on the market where you have some reasonable hope that they will have any sort of button reliability. Yes, it's absurd to be recommending Razer products when looking for reliability, but that's where we are in 2020.

Thanks for the tip, I will consider one of those, even though they are expensive. I wish they made the DeathAdder V2 Mini in a wireless version, I'm not sure I want another chonker like the G603. The wireless DAV2 looks to be of a similar size. I'm wondering about your third sentence because I don't know much about the brand - do Razer not have a good track record for reliability?

The Electronaut posted:

I’ve got one, picked it up after my g pro wireless started double clicking on a couple buttons; going to replace the switches just haven’t gotten to ordering parts yet. The 305 is a little portlier but it’s well built and feels and performs a little better than what I’d imagine for a 40 dollar mouse. The wireless and sensor are the g pros and in those regards it’s good. Trying out a Glorious O wired at the moment to see what else is out there.

When you use the word "portlier", do you mean it's wide like the pics indicate? That might be better for me than one that's tall like the 603 because my hand size is shorter (in length) but wider in palm.

Roumba posted:

Is there really no thirdparty or open sourced do-it-all whizzbang universal mouse software that can handle all the buttons above how many Windows coders can count on one hand?

I'm like 98% sure there is one for joysticks and gamepads.

Usually console/arcade controls for PC use either DirectInput or Xinput, both of which are handled by the OS and require no extra software. It will depend on each individual game how well you can re-config things. Something like Xpadder or Joy2Key would be needed for particularly stubborn and/or old games. I've heard of people using PS3 or PS4 pads/sticks on PC but I'm not sure how that works.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Razer's big selling point is their optical switches anyway, so I wouldn't buy a mouse from them that doesn't have those.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

And several other things that are pretty unique, like on-board profiles & wireless mice that don't cost over $100. I didn't even think about the free-scroll (I almost never use it).

Would be nice if these actually worked properly using GHub. With the previous software, it was fine, but I can't seem to get GHub to put my chosen DPI on there and make it stick. As soon as the mouse sleeps due to idle or I manually turn it off, it resets to default upon wake-up.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Khorne posted:

If you close ghub after picking the correct onboard profile you can check up on it with: https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133 the onboard memory manager software which is actually pretty good. I tend to create and save profiles in ghub , switch to onboard mode, select the profile, and then close ghub completely. And everything sticks for me. You can then use the onboard memory manager to verify that things stuck and switch profiles if not.

I gave this a try and I have the same problem. The mouse (G305) has one onboard profile, the default DPI is set to my preferred speed (3200), I can manually set it to that DPI in OMM and it works. I go AFK and the mouse goes idle, when I use it again, the DPI is back to 800 (I opened OMM again to check) . This is with GHub closed except for its update service in the background. My other settings - poll rate and button remapping - stay the way I want, it's only the DPI setting I can't get to sick. If there have been any firmware updates for the G305 this year, I have no idea how to install them through GHub.

So don't buy this mouse I guess, it's clearly not working properly. Or hell, anything from Logitech, for that matter, given the troubles I've had with their mice for the past several years. This is the last straw for me. I'll use this thing until it inevitably starts doubleclicking, then I'm switching brands.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 9, 2021

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

Firmware updates it should prompt you automatically, but you can also manually check in the settings gear menu.

That screen displays the current firmware version, but there's no options to update, or even check if there's a new package.

I'll give factory resetting the profile a shot sometime, but I don't feel like messing with it further right now. For now, having GHub running and onboard mode off will fix the DPI after it's been idle. That's how it's been for quite a while now.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Bluetooth has some inherent latency. It's fine for data transfers (like streaming music/video to a portable device) but it will not be as responsive with live input as 2.4ghz. If you game a lot, that's pretty important.

Come to think of it, do Bluetooth mice even exist at all? If they don't, it does make sense as to why.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

My Corsair Scimitar Pro is double clicking, so I'm looking for a new mouse.

Get something with optical switches. Supposedly they last a lot longer than the lovely mechanical ones that are the norm nowadays.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

That brings up an interesting question: how many people here, in your normal mouse grip, have your fingers in A vs B?
a) middle on the mouse wheel all the time, ring on right click
b) middle on right click, ring for grip only, shift a finger to use wheel

I'm a bizarro mish-mash of the two: option A but I use middle finger to right-click.

When I play WoW (which has this weird dual-camera-controlled-by-mouse setup), I have middle on right-click at all times and shift middle to use scrollwheel to adjust camera zoom or scroll a list or whatever else it does.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Can I get a list of brands that offer optical switches on the buttons? My Logitech G305 is multi-clicking on me after 2½ years of ownership. That's not as bad as the previous Logitech mouse I had, but their microswitches going bad on me has been a consistent problem for many years now. I don't want to buy their mice anymore. This was their last shot.

It's been a while, but I've read this thread before, and I'm going to pre-empt my request by saying that I don't have the expertise or motor skills to repair the one I have. I just want to buy something that, with normal surface cleaning, lasts... we'll say 5 years at least. I'd like to try them newfangled optical switches.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

From most to least: Razer, Steelseries(prime series), Roccat, Cooler Master, Logitech.
Might be a few more companies.

e: Not related to optical switches but another option for longevity might be an Asus mouse. They have some models that let you easily swap out the mechanical switches for the left and right mouse buttons. Just pop off the magnetic shell and replace them. They are the only company that does this since they have the patent.

Thanks! I think I could do the ASUS, providing there are instructions, and I'm told where to buy new switches and what type I'd need for the particular model.

I forgot to mention that'd I'd much prefer to get a battery-powered mouse. I bought a bunch of Eneloops for mainly that purpose. The G305 uses a single AA and it lasts months. I assume I won't be getting that kind of battery life with optical buttons. Looks like Razer doesn't even offer anything like that. The models I'm interested in are all USB-rechargeable. That's not what I want. I'll keep looking.

e: what is Qi-compatable charging? I don't mind having a receiver dongle on my desk, but I otherwise never want to plug a mouse in to charge it. Are there any other wireless charging methods?

I looked at all the companies listed, and the only one that meets my requirements is the Roccat Kone Air. Apparently it's on the larger side, but I think I can get used to it. I've used G603s before and that was ok. I'll consider the switch-swappable ASUS stuff if the Roccat doesn't work out.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2023

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

TBQH I get more use from my extra mouse buttons in productivity than I do in video games. The day I came up with binding one mouse button to a smart alt-tab and another to cycle through virtual desktops changed my life.

Yeah, I like having a mouse with the "DPI" button by the scroll wheel, and I always rebind it to WinKey + Tab. I think a previous mouse I used had that bind as default (maybe via a 2nd button by the scroll wheel), and I found it incredibly useful (while gaming as well), so I've tried to keep that functionality ever since then. That was one of the things I was looking for on a new one, and I'd say half of the wireless mice I looked at no longer have those buttons at all.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Roccat Kone Air has arrived. Some initial observations:

- Bare-bones packaging. Loose plastic wrap on the mouse, cardboard (the super cheap kind) cradle. I guess that's not really surprising. My last few Logitech mice were similar. Better cardboard on those, though.
- No diagrams in battery compartment for battery orientation. I suppose it's common knowledge that the negative ends go on the springy bits, but I nonetheless had to consult the manual to be sure (yes it comes with a paper manual).
- Feels pretty cheap. Very light before I put batteries in it.
- Bigger mouse than the G305, which was on the small side. Longer and slightly girthier (:haw:). I use palm grip mostly, and there's nearly an inch of space between the tip of my index finger and the edge of the button. It's a pretty chonky boi. I think it's comfortable to hold, so far.
- Slightly different-feeling clicks on L/R compared to previous mice. Is that because of the optical switches? It doesn't bother me.
- Has a 3rd thumb button, on the bottom of the mouse. I use the bottom edge of my thumb to activate it. More about that below.
- No issues with installation. I'm using a USB extender from like, 3 mice ago. Plugged the receiver into that and it worked right away in 2.4ghz mode (it also does Bluetooth, but my PC doesn't have on-board BT, and I don't like BT for input methods anyway).
- Windows thinks the mouse is a keyboard device? Guess that's due to the extra buttons.
- Swarm. That's Roccat's version of G-Hub. After the initial install, it had to update itself. I think it also updated the mouse's firmware? One possible issue right off the bat is that I cannot rebind the DPI button. As I mentioned before, I don't need to switch DPI on the fly, so historically I've made that a WinKey + Tab shortcut. Anyway, every other button on the thing can be rebound except DPI. There's no little arrow next to it to select a new function, and clicking on its entry does nothing. Welp. I can, however, rebind the 3rd thumb button. Swarm calls that "Easy-Shift[+]™" and by default, holding it down plus another mouse button is used for multimedia controls. I already have dedicated keys for that on my KB, so looks like this will be my new Win+Tab button. Now I'll just have to train myself to use it. I wonder why Roccat made the DPI switch unconfigurable? I noticed in their documentation that it's used for BT pairing (by holding it down), maybe that's the reason.
- As some mild comfort for the thing above, the DPI button is much lower relative to the scroll wheel than I'm used to. So it'd be awkward to use it anyway.
- Swarm seems a little buggy. There's a tab for pinned settings, and I had a really hard time putting stuff in there. Here's hoping it keeps my config after reboots, at least. Apparently it automatically writes changes to the on-board profile? Shutting down the software seems to keep my preferences intact. That's already an improvement over G-Hub, which I had to have on at all times.
- Some reddit posts I saw indicated that the Kone Air (and the Pro version) have had some issues with the scroll wheel in the past. I remember having to replace a Logitech mouse because of that, years ago. We'll see how it goes.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

That is normal for mice with rebindable buttons. There will also be a regular mouse device.

That's not the case in control panel -> devices and printers (two KBs only), but it's there in Device Manager. :shrug: Whatever, as long as it works.

Klyith posted:

All mouse software sucks hardcore, people complain about ghub but it gets worse. But I think you can set it up with swarm and then quit/uninstall the app, the kone has on-board memory.

Confirmed success at keeping its config after reboot. I turned off auto-start on Swarm and it seems to be fine. I won't uninstall it in case I need it for something, but I won't be running it normally. That's a relief.

The on-board memory of my last three Logitech mice corrupted immediately and nothing would stick, forcing me to run G-Hub at all times. Plus having to wait on reboot until G-Hub activates to set my DPI. It wasn't a long wait (maybe 15 seconds tops?), just annoying.

Klyith posted:

Possibly try setting it to only have one DPI level? Also try setting stuff with the mouse plugged in (or vice versa if that's what you were doing.)

You can't. There are 5 DPI settings in Swarm and there's no way to add or remove more levels. I set them all to my preferred level but the button still isn't rebindable. I think this'll be ok, the DPI button isn't very easy to use anyway.

The Kone Air doesn't plug into anything. It's AA batteries only, connected via either 2.4ghz receiver or BT. Kone Air Pro might be different, I have the non-pro version.

comedyblissoption posted:

logitech OMM is fantastic and what all mice software should aspire to be

I remember trying this on my previous mice and it still wouldn't work. G-Hub just straight broke my poo poo.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I haven't been using it long (a month, maybe?) but all is well with my Roccat too.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yeah don't most sensors have a native resolution somewhere in that range? Makes no sense to handicap the mouse basically by using anything lower than that. Just adjust your in game sens appropriately. Desktop use can be a bit trickier but idk how anyone uses under 3200DPI given the size of modern monitors tbh.

For desktop, just turn off mouse acceleration and reduce the windows pointer speed. I take it down 2 notches from center default. YMMV

Roccat Kone Air still working great over here. I've started playing WoW again so the buttons are about to get much more of a workout. I like how you can use either 1 or 2 AAs in it. Using just 1 right now because my Eneloop charger only has one spot left.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

I brought the Kone Air to another poster's attention a few pages ago (with no vouch cause I don't have one). They got it and liked it.

That's me. Roccat Kone Air good. My only gripe is that I can't remap the DPI button, but it's not in the correct position to be useful as something else anyway (it's too far from the scroll wheel).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Not exactly what you asked for, but I did G305 -> Roccat Kone Air, and after 8 months, I am still very happy with my choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I do. If you want a "gaming"-class, non-Logitech, 2.4ghz wireless mouse that has optical L/R buttons and uses AAs, this is it. When I was looking for all 5 of those criteria 9 months ago, it was the only one I could find that meets all of them. As an added bonus, the config software actually works and doesn't need to be running in the background at all times (Ghub :argh:).

I hope this discount doesn't mean it's going to be discontinued. Maybe I'll pick up a spare, just in case. Haven't had any issues with mine thus far.