Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm looking to replace a G402. I saw that MX518 sale mentioned earlier. I don't need the G402's gamer aesthetic, but the extra button placement is much more convenient on it. $20 is hard to beat, though.

The G502 has a big Cyber Monday deal, at only $40, and I like having lots of extra buttons. But I'm a bit wary of logitech at this point. All three I've owned have had scroll wheel button issues. The G402's is completely unresponsive now, but it was always hard to press.

Kind of want to try a different manufacturer, but I don't see any great deals atm. The base Harpoon's pretty cheap, but I think I'd miss the 2 extra buttons.

e:also, anything to for certain avoid when buying a mouse mat?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Heh, the G502 has 3 distinct ways of pressing the scroll wheel, each with a programable function. I guess that's cool, but I worry about the longevity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Think I'm gonna get a G604. It's just $5 more than the 502 and I've always wanted to try a wireless mouse.

e:did logitech change its warranty to two years from three?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 1, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bought my sister a small wireless Logitech for her laptop. And what do you know, the middle mouse button is rear end.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have experience with the Anker 2.4G or similar vertical mice?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Got my G604.
  • It's heavier than the 402, but a bit smaller. I think I preferred the dimensions of the 402, but this might just be a question of adjusting. The weight is especially noticeable when picking it up.
  • I don't like the rattling of the battery. My issue is less about the noise than the momentum shift of the mouse.
  • This is my first mouse with a metal wheel. I don't know if I like it. It's like both modes aren't great for normal use. The scroll is either too heavy (I have poo poo hands), or too loose (which I get has its uses). The scroll wheel button click is a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but at least it's consistent.
  • Other than that it seems like most of the side buttons are a bit inconvenient to access.
  • Oh, and there was a minor scratch!
I'd probably be regretting my purchase if I paid full price, but at $50 it seems okay. Hope I get used to feeling the battery shift.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

As in how much resistance there is to rolling one "click" of the wheel?

Yes. Also it's loving loud.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sucks but I think I'm gonna have to return the 604. It's just too heavy for me. Switching back to the my old mouse was a literal relief. It was a stark difference.

I also don't like the mouse wheel, but I could probably learn to live with it (the horizontal tilt shift is cool though).

Not sure where this leaves me. Apparently the G502 isn't that much lighter. 402s aren't in production anymore (my last mouse). Might get an MX518, but I'd miss the 402's button layout. Don't know much about other brands.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 14, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone turn off their mice when they're not using them, or do mice use little enough energy in standby that it's not a concern?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Minorkos posted:

G-Wolves Sköll

i like that it comes with a spare cable. never seen that before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I'm returning a mouse that came with a AA, should I take the battery out or leave it in (maybe put it in backwards)? I think I threw away the little paper tab that blocked the contacts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I got a G502 and Basilisk V2 with the intent to return the Razer, but I gotta say I like it (I just don't want to spend that much on a mouse). Great weight, good wheel, all around just sits well. The clicks are a bit noisy, and logitech has better auxiliary button positioning, but it feels like love at first touch. Idk that I can justify the price tag, but it's gonna be a harder decision than I was expecting.

G502 is a step up over the G604 I just returned, but is still heavier than I'd like, even without any of the weights. I remained unimpressed by the metal wheel, but for once I found a logitech with a decent middle click. If it was just a bit lighter I'd be pretty happy with it, given the price. As is I'm not sure.

e:but drat, the basilisk is pretty loud. it's the first time i've even paid attention to click noise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

pocket pool posted:

I'm guessing it is the same issue a lot of modern Logitech mice have: the switches are cheap dogshit that they run out of spec. The most common issue is double-clicks registering for single-clicks.

smh, what happened to you logitech?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh. I need to make an account with Razer to configure my mouse. :chloe:

Talk about "smh"

(I do like the mouse, though)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

K8.0 posted:

You do not need a login to use Synapse which is the only piece of Razer software you should ever install. The others have godawful memory leaks that will destroy your system.

Am I missing something?

e: Synapse 3 let's you log in as a guest. I didn't download that at first because the (official) link I followed called it a beta

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 11, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Using a modifier key is a neat way of mapping more functions. Hypershift on a Razer, G-Shift on a Logitech. But with Logitech the modifier is also sniper button, it serves both functions. I don't see that option with the Razer. I can set the paddle to be the Hypershift key, but this overrides its function. So it's becomes just a modifier button.

Does anyone know if I can set it up to work like it does with Logitech?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 11, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

The secret trick to logitech wheels is to remap the tilt to middle click and use that instead.

For the last four years I've been using DPI up/G8 (no tilt on the 402)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why do some people want heavier mice? Mostly out of habit?

This basilisk feels so much better to me than the g502 I'm wondering if something even lighter (like the viper) would be a proportional improvement.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sniper button no longer works as the g-shift key. I'm not sure if I did something or the software's bugging out. I can't find an option to reset to default settings (it's only available for onboard memory).

Also for whatever reason, you can't g-shift scroll up or down.

e:a reboot fixed it. in general, not a fan of G hub.

e2:it happened again. this time with my old mouse.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 12, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Basilisk retains the G502/402's ridge at the left end of the LMB. Except they took off G7 and G8, so I keep trying to hit buttons that feel like they're there but aren't.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Seeing that I was unsatisfied with all the mice I'd recently tried, my sister decided to buy me... a Naga Trinity for a laugh. It's chunky and a bit heavy, but I can't deny the swappable side panels are neat. It's seems well made. And the clicking on the numpad side panel feels so good.

The middle click is near perfect. So light! (idk if these things are just luck of the draw)

The circular side panel has just the right amount of buttons I'd like, but my thumb rests in slightly forward of where I think Razer was intending.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 24, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does a mouse like this exist:

-lightweight, no more than ~90g
-index finger button(s), like on a g502
-ideally with an extra thumb button in addition to mouse 4 and 5 (like a sniper button)

?

I'm guessing the fact that most lightweight mice don't have many buttons isn't coincidental.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Roumba posted:

Maybe the G402 if you drill some speed holes in it? 90g seems pretty tough to reach.

I have seen some people taking apart wireless mice to slot in smaller batteries for a lower weight. Maybe that's an option to keep in mind?

I'm actually upgrading from the G402 (it double clicks). I've been considering picking up a new one if I can find one cheap. But since discovering how great lightweight mice feel, I'd prefer something lighter.

Twerkdad posted:

Although no index finger buttons, the Razer Basilisk X is 92g with a thumb button
https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/Razer-Basilisk-X-HyperSpeed/RZ01-03150100-R3U1

With a AA it ends up weighing a fair bit more.

I tried out the slightly more expensive Basilisk V2, and I liked it a lot, but it was far enough from perfect for me to not want to spend that much money on.

On that note I'm now trying out a Deathadder v2. Its lightness actually makes up for its lack of buttons to an extent, cause you don't need a dedicated shortcut if just moving your mouse is that much less of an exertion. Still it's expensive and I would really miss at least having a "sniper" button (I never use it for that function). But it has convinced me that I really want a lightweight.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some Goon posted:

If you want to cut weight on a wireless mouse they'll run on a AAA with a wad of tinfoil to reach the contacts.

Wouldn't that rattle? (and I think that would still put the Basilisk X over 100g)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah the sniper button on the G502 is useless for me.

The Basilik looks very interesting. The shape is uh... dangerously close to copyright infringement, but that's fine by me since I love the G502 shape.

Especially compared to the 502, I thought the Basilik (V2) was great. Though I didn't have much of an issue with either "sniper button".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

I went from the G502 to the Basilisk (V1): I use the long sniper button (there are two variants included in the box, a short and a long one - not sure whether this is still the case with V2).

My V2 only came with one. I think it's the long one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm using an old, cheap M+K logitech wireless combo (MK260, with 2.4Ghz dongle) for tv PCing, but recently its started to have connectivity issues. Sometimes it'll be a bit slow, sometimes some buttons won't work, sometimes nothing will work. I changed the batteries so its not that. I couldn't wake the computer with it after a while (worked after reinserting after waking).

Is this likely the reciever dying?

Should I just get something new? (E: suggestions welcome)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 4, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

one handy feature this keyboard had that isn't that common was a dedicated (PC) power button

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i added 2 external hdds at a similar time, but i hadn't used the M+K combo in years, so can't say for sure that it's related.

but what you describe is exactly what i've experienced, including the occasional delays. i'll see if i have a usb extender somewhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

got a laugh out of me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Question: do people use the sideways scroll buttons, and with what function?

I'm finding I'm using them less than I thought I would.

e:for instance, it's not a comfortable middle click substitute

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 12, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

runawayturtles posted:

The fact that the Basilisk has sideways scroll at all is my biggest complaint with it. It's awkward to use intentionally, but often happens unintentionally while middle-clicking, and screws up whatever I'm trying to do.

edit: Now that I think about it, I'm better off disabling both sides, but middle-click will still feel pretty weird whenever it happens.

Additionally, it might be partially responsible for the stiff middle click.

Saukkis posted:

Alternative approach, replace the sideways scrolls with middle-click. In my experience tilting the wheel is better middle-click than pressing it.

It still doesn't feel great, especially repeatedly.

My favorite alt-middle click was one of the extra top buttons on the g402 (also on the 502).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I saw a G402 at Target for $35 and couldn't help myself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I get that there's not much incentive from the manufacturer's side, but I wish this stuff was made with user reparability/maintenance in mind. Such a waste to toss the whole thing when it's often just one part that's worn down.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Love these manufacturer/mouse names.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Idk if this'll be relevant to you, but a comfortable middle click substitute ended up being my defining criteria when looking for a G402 replacement (I ended up getting a new one). There were some mice I rather liked (notably the Basilisk V2) but I couldn't stand the stiff middle mouse buttons. I thought I could adjust, but that just resulted in a lot of unnecessary middle finger pain.

The G402 has two extra index finger buttons; I use the top one as the middle click substitute. It's a light and comfortable click.

Those buttons are actually pretty rare on mice, sadly. I tested a G502, which has the same buttons and I got it for the same price, but I didn't like how heavy it was. Also wasn't a fan of the scroll wheel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is any manufacturer known for particularly soft middle clicks? I feel like that's something they should be paying more attention to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Even in my limited experience with it, it was buggier than LGS.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

how useful are the thumb buttons on the non-thumb side (i get that they make the mouse ambidextrous)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Unfortunately Logitech seems to be the only manufacturer who understands that top edge buttons are good

yeah it's bizarre