Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Deathadder is the perfect mouse. The Mamba is the wireless/laser version but it costs twice as much. I've always found the MX518 and similar Logitechs kind of unwieldy myself. It's all down to personal preference I suppose.

On the other hand I think we can all agree that that Naga disaster is surely the worst mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Nija posted:

I'm just picking nits here, but they are two different mice. From certain angles they might look like they share the same chassis, but they do not.

In those pics the DA is almost straight on from the side (and the pic also seems stretched a bit) but the Mamba is at a bit of an angle. In this one it's the other way around, and you can see it makes them look the other way around too (DA a little fatter, Mamba a little longer):

http://headsetchatter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/img_2763.jpg

In reality the shape is identical. The only noticeable difference in feel is that on the Mamba the area under the side buttons has a slightly different shape and the grippy texture. Now I've written two paragraphs too many about these mice. :shobon:

breaks
May 12, 2001

It's not a hard pad but the Razer Goliathus pads come in large sizes and I find them almost like a hard pad with a cloth top. It's not, but the base is a pretty dense rubber or something without much give to it. Also sewn up around the sizes so it doesn't fray and whatnot. Best thing Razer makes I think. Might be worth a look if you can't find a large enough hard pad.

breaks
May 12, 2001

cerious posted:

Alright so I thought my mouse was dying (G500) but it turns out that my mousepad was just finally got crappy. Are there any recommended mousepads? Would not like to spend a lot on one but I'm willing to pay for something reliable.

I like the Razer Goliathus pads. They come in several sizes, lay flat, stick to the table pretty well, have a good surface and last forever. I just replaced my previous one after 4 years, and it could have kept going. I use the control ones, I don't know if the speed ones are any different. On the downside they are ~20 bucks, and are pretty ugly gamer looking things.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I also claw grip and switched from a DA to a Roccat KPM and couldn't be happier. The KPM is noticeably smaller, which I like, but I'm sure some wouldn't.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The bottom of the AM is flared outward in a / \ shape, whereas the bottom of the FK is comes inward in a \ / shape. There's some other kind of subtle shape differences too. I think the FK is a little shorter for example. The AM is kind of old at this point and I don't think they've updated it in a while. I'm not sure if you can even buy it anymore?

Zowie's whole shtick is making gaming mice without all the bling, so that's why they seem plain. Their prices tend to be on the high side of the gaming mouse range, but an FK2 should be around $65 USD, it's not outrageously more than an equivalent Logitech or Roccat or Mionix or whatever.

If price is a concern and you want an ambidextrous mouse look at the G100s, you can find a better mouse for sure but it's Good Enough and like 25 bucks.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The FKs have left/right modes that disable the side buttons on the non-thumb side, so it's not a problem unless the buttons just being there inactive bothers you.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Synapse has or at least used to have a bunch of unnecessary cloud poo poo. Razer also has a reputation for poor build quality. On the other hand some of the Razer hate is just because they sell a lot of mice; a lot of people use Deathadders and you can definitely do worse. But you should at least look at some similar, more reputable mice like Logitech G502, Roccat Kone Pure Military (my personal preference), Mionix Castor, or Zowie EC-A. Those should all be solid mice as far as the technical stuff goes and you can shop on features, shape, size, weight, etc.

breaks
May 12, 2001

A literal "no LEDs" rule is dumb, the Logitechs have LEDs and if you don't mind the shape/size/appearance they are some of the best mice out there for example. But I think his point is that there are very few bad gaming mice with a more conservative look, because if it doesn't look appealing to children then it's only selling on performance, whereas there are a lot of bad Pro Gamer XXXtreme christmas tree mice.

As mentioned the Logitechs are a good choice. Zowies are good just stick to a relatively recent one, some of the oldest ones have lovely firmware and it can't be upgraded. Mionix is good though it's probably best to stick to the optical models (7000s, Castor). Some of the recent Roccat stuff is good, like the Kone Pure Military and the new Kova.

I'm sure there are some other good ones too, but that is a decent list of mice with good technical performance and fairly few problems with build quality, support, software, etc.

breaks fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 13, 2015

breaks
May 12, 2001

You get gaming features like high poll rate, good sensor implementation, switchable DPI, low click latency, etc, in a package that looks pretty normal, and with no software installation.

If you don't care about that stuff then just get a plain rear end mouse.

breaks
May 12, 2001

drat dudes. I would wallpaper my room with Goliathuses before I owned one pad with pc master race poo poo on it.

The new Zowie pads look great and have only the tiniest of logos, but I haven't used one since they're brand new. I also don't think you can buy them just yet, though they should be floating around soon.

The whole rubber backed cloth stitched edge thing is the fuckin way to go for sure though.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The one particularly noteworthy thing is that it uses the same sensor as the G502, so there's that.

Man, what a shame that the first mouse to get the sensor outside of Logitech is that disaster area. But hopefully that means it's publicly available now and someone will put it in something a little more sane.

Actually apparently it's variant model of the sensor so it remains to be seen whether it's the same thing with a different number or if there are significant differences I guess?

breaks fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 6, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't know what mouse you are using right now, but in general optical mice are less picky about the surface than laser mice. If you're on a laser mouse right now maybe see if you can scrounge up and try an optical before making a purchase. Also don't use an overly sensitive DPI, 400 is plenty and more than 1000 is rarely a good idea, maybe it will help a bit.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't have any personal experience with the Nyth. I think it's a recent twineye sensor in there, which is the thing to use as far as laser mice go, but has the same minor issues that any laser does (added cost for uselessly high DPI, kind of picky about surface). The weird left/right switch in the middle is pretty useless I hear, but it's not like you have a shortage of buttons on that thing.

I have used the Kone Pure Military and the (new version of the) Kova. I really like both of those and would recommend the new Kova in particular if you only need a couple extra buttons instead of a dozen. The mousewheel on it works very well as a button so it basically has 5 easily accessible buttons + scroll across the top, plus one more that you have to reach back for, and the 2(+2 opposite) side buttons. I find it works great for stuff like Overwatch or League or whatever where having a few extra things on the mouse is really useful, but you don't need an MMO worth of buttons. While it's not an ergo it is long enough that I think it's decent for palm grip (and also works well for claw, probably not great for fingertip).

In general the recent Roccats are good mice; work well, have solid build quality, are reasonably reliable, not too many firmware issues and the problems that have happened mostly got patched quickly, etc.

breaks fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 8, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Travic posted:

Ah ok. I just use my fingers so the Castor may be as good and fit my hand better. Thanks for the advice.

If you are interested in smallish mice like that then perhaps also take a look at the Roccat Kone Pure Military.

breaks
May 12, 2001

G502, G602 if you want a wireless, if you don't mind a non-ergo and don't need a whole keyboard stuck on the side of the mouse I think the new Roccat Kova is another good option (beware that there is an older mouse with the same name that doesn't have the extra buttons).

There are other ergo mice commonly recommended in this thread, but I don't think any of them meet the extra buttons requirement. Some have a couple buttons behind the scroll wheel but personally I find that placement pretty useless.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah it's pretty standard for the LEDs to have an off setting, so it's not something to worry about too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Logitech G100S is usually about $20 and it's fine. It's an older sensor and generally not up to the standards of the good newer gaming mice, but that's why it's $20. Anyway it's a better idea than whatever random off brand piece of poo poo.

I just remembered that it doesn't have side buttons though, my bad, I forgot about that.

breaks fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 31, 2016