Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

shrike82 posted:

do people still use wired gaming mice?
my old g502 is giving up the ghost due to battery issues and am half thinking of getting the wired version so i don't have to charge

would a wired mouse with a bungee feel "unencumbered"?

I was using wireless mice for the last few years and I recently went back to Wired mice with the Steelseries Prime Neo Noir. As much as people enjoy using wireless mice, I personally found that all companies inflate battery life which was annoying. I never got close to the advertised battery life on any mouse but the G-Pro Superlight, but once it start to double click due to the Omron switches, it became a 200 dollar paper weight. Steelseries' wireless has a 2-3 second delay to wake up. Razer's optical switches are decent, but the prices of their wireless offerings keep climbing with each release and their recent releases seem shortsighted from all the progress they made in the last few years. I could have gone down the rabbithole of r/mousereview's obsessive search for niche mouse brands, but I rather just get something I can grab from Amazon or Best Buy.

Not having to worry about RF issues or battery levels was worth going back to a wired mouse. The days of a stiff rubber cable is pretty much gone from the 50 to 100 dollar price range as most major brands have gone to a para-cord like cable that are super flexible. Put that in a mouse bungee and you won't notice the difference from a wireless mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

So after having a few mice with different issues:

- Razer Deathadder V3 Pro - Broken Scroll Wheel out of the box
- Steelseries Prime Wireless - Wireless connection issues all the time
- Logitech G Pro Superlight - Side Mouse button switch ribbon cable broke, not repairable.

I decided that I wasn't going to go with the usual recommendations which was all these ultralight mice from boutique brands and I took a chance with the Asus ROG Gladius III Wireless Aimpoint. It was on sale at Best Buy and hot swap mouse switches is what got me to commit to it. As much as I wanted to like optical switches, I like the fact that I can keep using mechanical mouse switches and if one fails, just pop it open, take it out and replace it.

What I wasn't expecting was how repairable the mouse was. You can easily replace the mouse wheel encoder, the battery and Asus makes it really easy to open the mouse without having to pop off mouse feet nor undoing alot of cables to get access to the guts. I also found myself liking the weight of the mouse at 79g. Maybe I don't get the hype of ultralight mice, anything from 60g to 80g feels the same to me. I like that Asus did not follow the trend and it ended up with a much larger battery which is something I liked. The only downside is Armoury Crate, Asus' config software, but at this point, all mouse software is terrible so it is a moot point to me.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Pvt. Parts posted:

did you try to RMA any of the mice which arrived broken?

I did swap them since I got them on Amazon, but after using them for a few days, I didn't click with the ultralight mice and ultimately return them. I felt like that you are paying for the weight reduction and I didn't see any benefit for the extra cost. It might be reddit's current fetish but I did not care for them personally. Optical switches are nice, but they can't replace the feel of mechanical switches for me. They were too mushy with no feedback or way too stiff.

75g-80g seems to be the zone I want to be in. Mice in that range are more solid in build and features. They also seem to be priced better as well since they are not in vogue with the e-sports scene.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

isndl posted:

I have no experience with the Spatha but I can confirm that Armory Crate is complete trash. A lot of effort put into aesthetics and barely any function.

Personally it is just the same as all hardware companies making software for their products. It's fine if you use it as a base level to get it set up and do stuff like firmware updates. The UI looks like something made by a high school computer science class where they want to download wallpapers or check out game deals. I rather that Armory Crate allow me to launch into the mouse settings when I open it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is extremely heavy coming in at 168g. Looks like the G602 is 102g.

I was thinking it was going to have a massive battery life but 67 hours without RGB is weak sauce. The aimpoint mice from Asus all have 120 hours of battery without RGB and weight half as much as the Spatha X.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

PirateBob posted:

What's the deal with skates? What do you change by adding custom ones?

There was a time where every gaming mouse that was made used really bad stock skates that made the mouse feel like you were moving it through frozen mud. Nowadays most mouse makers are using 100% PTFE feet so you don't need to change them as soon as you get the mouse. Personally I keep a few pairs of mouse feet on hand as mice feet will wear down over time(like in a year or 2) and it is a cheap way to keep a mouse going if you find moving it around to be sluggish after some time. The reddit hivemind is convinced there is a big difference between companies but it is more the mouse pad than the mouse feet.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Philthy posted:

Got the Asus Gladius III. It's a nice form factor, comes apart easily and comes with clicky and light clicky swappable button switches. I put the quieter ones in and they sound good. The wheel is complete and total garbage, though. It has a single post it's connected to, and the other side of the wheel is just resting on a button all loose. It makes rattle noises with no way to fix it. It's way too light and cheap feeling. This is ultimately a $15 mouse being sold for $80. I've got a Razer Basilisk on the way to see how that compares.

I have a feeling I'll be just ordering another G305. The race for "light" being somehow better just means they have an excuse to use cheap materials, I think.

That was my biggest issue with the Asus Gladius III Aimpoint. The mouse encoder failed within a month of use and there was no easy replacement for it since it was a Asus-specific encoder design. I also want to know who is deciding mouse shape at Asus because the ribbed sides was one of the worst design choices they could have made. I could never get used to it no matter how much I tried to use it. Asus also need to make it clear on their marketing or somewhere in the documentation that Kalith and Omron switches are the only brands that the socket supports because the TTC and Huano switches I tried to use made the mouse randomly turn off and on over and over again.

Armoury Crate turned me off from ever owning a piece of Asus hardware in the future. The amount of times that the software froze up from doing updates and the amount of useless stuff each download brought was bonkers. So much so that it caused the mouse to desync several times whenever the software randomly froze. It made me appreciate Steelseries GG when I installed it for my Prime Wireless I swapped the Asus mouse for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

mewse posted:

This is like 100% opposite to my experience with the asus strix impact 2. I don't know if the wheel encoder is proprietary, but the hotswap sockets run huano switches just fine. The ribbed sides feel good to me. I didn't install armory crate, the RGB on the mouse is customizable with openrgb.

I can unscrew the mouse without tearing off the feet, and the screws holding the whole thing together go into brass bushings rather than strippable plastic threads. It's the most repairable mouse I've ever owned.

The Strix Impact 2 has the first verison of the push socket which supports all mechanical switches. The new mice has the second version of the push socket which supports Omron Optical switches. I feel like they had to make it work with Omron and Kalith since the ROG switches are made by Kalith and Omron switches come into the box. It looks like the Huano switches and TTC Switches have thicker polls and can cause issues like breaking the second gen sockets. I really love the idea, I just didn't like the limitations that were imposed on the design.