Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

battlepigeon posted:

mx518

buy or die! That mouse will outlast everything

I hate to jump on this bandwagon, but it's true.

In the past couple of years I've bought both a G9 and Razer Deathadder.

The G9 just stopped tracking at random points, and the tilt wheel doesn't have enough resistance on it. The Deathadder is great though, if not a touch too fat to be comfy for me compared to the MX518. The MX518 is just too perfect a mouse to ever be replaced honestly.

Personally I find tilt wheels the most annoying part of any new mouse, I'm glad Razer has the sense to avoid them, but the new Logitech G500 uses one which is the only reason I haven't picked one up.

That being said, you should bite the bullet and just buy a Razer Naga. I mean, more buttons = better mouse, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

uncola posted:

I have a g9 and a deathadder.. I love the g9 for the freescrolling wheel.. it's basically a physical implementation of kinetic scrolling. That said, if you like to palm your mouse, the deathadder fits perfectly. the g9 is more of a klaw grip finger mouse

See, I love a stiffer mouse wheel. I don't know if anybody here remembers the original boomslang, but it had easily the best mouse wheel I've ever used. Very stiff with very pronounced *clicks*.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Profane Obituary! posted:

Am i the only one who uses a trackman?

I like a good trackball, but the best trackball ever created was the Trackman Marble FX, and there are no wired trackballs with similar button / ball placements.

Microsoft has one that is close enough, but the ball needs polished fairly often for some reason, never had that problem with the Trackman.

I keep meaning to find an old Trackman Marble but on E-bay they go for like 70 bucks or more.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Wreckus posted:

Razer Mamba

Best mouse I've used so far.

I had a chance to try one of these and it has the best mouse wheel of any mouse since the original boomslang. It's large, well textured and has almost perfect resistance. Plus no goddamned tilt feature.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

I tried the Mamba. I wanted to like it but really couldn't, after being used to the Logitech G5 for so long. The Mamba is too long for my tastes, and the battery adds a weird, off balance weight to it that I didn't like. Your hand is set to pick the mouse up in front, which is a very light part of the mouse, but the battery is set in the very back of the mouse, making that part heavier, so picking up the Mamba feels a little awkward because it's off balance, sort of like you're picking up a broom from the floor by grabbing the very tip of the stick. I mean it's obviously much more subtle than that, but if you're used to the Logitech G series mice, which are very well balanced, you'll feel it.

Also, the way the sides of the G series mice are shaped and textured really aids in picking them up. The Mamba's sides are slick plastic and fairly verticle, with not much edge to grab onto.

What the Mamba did have going for it, however, was the wheel, two side buttons, and the 7-step adjustable DPI. The Mamba's wheel was fantastic. It felt really smooth, was completely silent, and very easy to click. The DPI is easy to adjust and the adjustment buttons are unobtrusive. And, the side buttons are setup in good positions.

Still though, as much as I wanted to like the Mamba, I returned it and stuck with my G5. The best way to describe the difference, I guess, would be to say that the G5 disappears in my hand after a few minutes, while the Mamba constantly reminded me that I was using it.

I use a mamba and I don't get what your complaint about the side-grip is. It has an indentation with a rubber grip on either side, and compared to the similarly shaped Deathadder is a lot easier to hold. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the better features of the mouse design.

You are absolutely right about the weight though. I love a heavy mouse but the balance is off when the battery is inside of it. Of course I really only used it wireless for WoW occasionally, so it isn't really a big deal for me, but if you want to use it wirelessly a lot then it could get annoying.

The wheel is pretty great but there's a design flaw that causes the wheel to start "squeaking" after a week of use or so. It gets very annoying. At least it doesn't tilt, goddamn I hate tilting mouse wheels.

The build quality in general could be better. The rubber grips are starting to peal a little bit and I've had one of the feet slide half-off a couple of times. It is probably one of the better wireless mice but I wouldn't really recommend it.

If I could take a Logitech MX518, add a tad bit of weight to it and replace the wheel with the wheel out of the original boomslang, I would have the perfect mouse.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
I took my Razer Mamaba back to best buy today since it was basically falling apart after 6 months. The ribber side grips were starting to peel off, the battery (which I hardly used) was running dry after a couple of hours, and the goddamned wheel was squeaking like mad.

Used the credit to get a G500. So far so good, the wheel is exactly like the G9(x), and the 3rd side button isn't annoying like I thought it would be.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Just chiming in to say that I rock a G9 and a fUnc sUrface 1030 from something like 5 years ago. I got a free Cooler Master Sentinel mouse with my new Cooler Master Storm Sniper case and it's really cool, but I just like my G9 better. The mouse has a loving OLED screen on it! And the LEDs change color and a bunch of poo poo is customizable. Had I not bought the G9 prior to getting this mouse, I'd certainly be using it. I just hate the transitional mouse period where you're getting used to it. The G9 DPI changing buttoms annoyed the hell out of me originally.

One question about DPI: Why the hell do you need such a high DPI mouse? In games like FPSs, how can you possibly be accurate when moving your mouse an inch makes you do a 360? I usually have my sensitivity set to whatever the second lowest is on the G9 and then put it to the 3rd lowest (middle?) for aiming in vehicles in BFBC2.

Wow had not ever seen that Sentinel mouse, but it looks like it has a really great shape. I like the right side to indent slightly so I can hook my pinky over it.

As for the DPI question, I generally do this:

Set the DPI meter for 5 settings instead of 3, I keep the first setting way, way low, like 200 DPI. Then I stage the middle 3 at about the middle, like 800/1000/1200, and then the last setting I keep rather high, like 3000.

so it looks kinda like: -|-----|||------|---

This helps me overcome some of the wonky mouse behavior in games. Like I jam it up to 5 for the slow vehicle turrets in BC2, and keep it on the first setting for over-sensitive mouse in Mass Effect 2. The middle 3 I jump between depending on the game for a good average feel.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Chopstix posted:

This mouse has been mentioned before but I will have to put in my view of this mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Lachesis-Laser-Gaming-Banshee/dp/B000WU35JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277735928&sr=8-1

This is a piece of poo poo mouse, do not buy this mouse. It died on me about 6 months in, while my 5 year old laser mouse by microsoft works better than that. Looking up the reliability on this mouse it looks like the reliability of the mice from that company is pretty suspect, so I'd definitely go with Microsoft of Logitech.

After having to RMA my Deathadder after less than a year, and then buying a Mamba while waiting for my Deathadder to come back, I am done with Razer.

The Mamba basically fell apart with almost minimal use, and the replacement Deathadder is sitting on my shelf unopened.

When Razer was a new company and I had to RMA my boomslang a total of 3 times I could sorta understand. But they have been around for over 10 years now, with the price that they charge their products should be built a fair bit better.

I have reservations about some of Logitech and Microsoft's design choices for their gaming mice, but at least I can count on them still functioning 2 years after I buy them.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Goo posted:

Anything in particular you'd like Logitech to do differently with their gaming mice?

This question is for everybody, really.

Personal prefs?

I hate tilting scroll wheels. It ruined the G5 but is more tolerable on the G500, in that I don't accidentally tilt it constantly. It is still pointless as far as I am concerned, especially on gaming mice. This is the one thing Razer and I agree on.

I would also like more tactile feedback on the scroll wheel. Go find whoever designed the wheel for the original boomslang and hire that person. That wheel audibly *click*ed when you scrolled it, it was fantastic.

Otherwise both the G9x and the G500 are dreamy. The G500 is a really great progression from the MX518, and even though I thought the thumb buttons were a little strange when I first saw em, they feel fantastic and aren't awkward at all.

edit: Semi-unrelated Goo Logitech gaming peripheral question: Are you aware of any plans for a successor to the wonderful G13?

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 29, 2010

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Sam Hall posted:

You know you can just disable side-scrolling if it bugs you that much. Also how the hell do you manage to accidentally tilt the scroll wheel often enough for it to be a major annoyance? Are you trying to operate the mouse with your feet? Most people use hands for that.

The first G5 had a smooth rounded wheel, it was very easy to to have it slant to one side when you pressed down. The problem was that when you tilted it, it canceled (or didn't register) the downward press. To actually press the wheel as a button required a fair bit or force on the G5 as well, whereas the tilting was very easy. The thing had almost a wobbling quality to it.

The newer G5 supposedly fixed this somehow, and the G9/G500 both have a flat surface and more sensible tension to the wheel that makes it a lot easier to control.

Ultimately though, I find tilt wheels to be completely pointless. Especially in gaming. Even as a person that likes all sorts of buttons to program and things to press, I just never understood the appeal.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

giZm posted:

You've heard this before, but: Wingman Gaming Mouse with scrollwheel, thumbbuttons and optical/laser sensor. Also name it after me :v:

If this thing is the classic 3-button blue mouse then I can also get behind this request.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Kadler posted:

Rat 7 review:

Quality A-

This was the one aspect I feared for thinking back to every madkatz product I have ever owned. I was shocked to see the level of detail and quality of the components used, On the other hand the software is kinda buggy and took a reinstall to see the mouse so I could edit the DPI settings.

Hard to talk about the other features as its so customized to me, its taking some getting used to as I had my G5 for 2 years but im liking this mouse more and more every time i use it.

Does the mouse wheel tilt? It doesn't look like it does, and I'm hoping it doesn't.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Wow, for 70 bucks that's a steal. I think I paid like 120 for mine and I think it was worth every penny. For anyone looking for an amazing wireless mouse, I'd definitely think about hopping on that deal.

On the other hand, the mamba I purchased was absolute poo poo and fell apart after 6 months making it the second razer mouse I had to replace in one year's time.

e: Though to it's credit, it is easily the most comfy mouse I have ever used. Bar none. Button placement and form are both fantastic.

Don't Ask posted:

Everyone should just buy a Logitech mouse, seriously, they have amazing customer support.

A few years ago my MX Revolution started having some problems (I don't really remember the details), so I e-mailed Logitech customer support. I didn't have my receipt, or any other proof of purchase, but after a short back and forth, they sent me a new one free of charge.

A few weeks ago the wheel on the mouse that they sent me started to fail, so I e-mailed them again. I just received a response that they're going to send me a Performance Mouse MX Laser instead.

So I'm getting a $100 for free! Again!

A lot of other companies would have you jump through flaming hoops to prove that you deserve to get a replacement from them, so service like this is just, well, refreshing.

Word.

I had a g9 (not a g9x, early adoption...) and it did this strange thing where it would occasionally just stop tracking briefly every now and again. Originally I thought it was my mousepad, so I replaced it with a steelseries cloth-surfaced pad. Still had the same problem. Reading on the web I found other people with the same complaint and figured it may be something that is corrected with the g9x.

I ignored it and eventually bought a deathadder (left button broke after a few months) and then the Mamba. When my Mamba started falling apart I took it back to best buy and did the whole call logitech thing to try and get the g9 swapped out. It was extremely simple. I now have a g9x that I don't even use since I got a G500 that I like better.

To Razer's credit I did perform an RMA with my deathadder at the same time and though it took significantly longer, it was all done via e-mail and there were no hassles. I did have to provide a sales receipt, which I still had over a year later by some miracle. Can't say how it it would have gone if I didn't have one. I did not have to provide one for my G9.

The irony now is that I have a brand new Deathadder and G9x that I don't use, since I favor the G500.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 22, 2010

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Logikv9 posted:

How long did the Deathadder RMA take? I sent mine in because the scroll-wheel started to gently caress up and it should have arrived at its destination already, but they haven't sent a confirmation email or any type of acknowledgment.

I wasn't anticipating it since I already replaced it. But it did take a while, probably 4-5 weeks.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Ardent posted:

• Scroll wheel. There is no side scrolling, there is no free scrolling, and worst of all there is no flick scrolling.

This is a good thing. Side scrolling is horribly pointless in games and free scrolling maybe should be an option, but again I would never use it in games. Since this is purely a gaming mouse I wouldn't exactly hold the lack of these things against it. No idea what you mean by flick scrolling though.

GreatGreen posted:

God drat Logitech can be dumb sometimes. Everybody just wants an updated MX518. Just make it, Logitech. If you're going to make a new mouse, make it in the body style and with the materials and textures of the MX518. Not the G5, and especially not the G500. Just give us a better 518. Everybody loves that mouse. It's everybody's favorite, and everybody knows it. Just make it and make it better. Give it a laser, lots of sensitivity settings, a better wheel, and maybe a couple more side buttons if you want. Hell, just give it the extra buttons that your new, fancy wireless mouse has. Those three alternate-left-click buttons look really cool, and so do the 4 side buttons. Hell, put those things on the 518. That's all everybody wants. Stop loving around and trying to change poo poo just to change it. We don't want NEW and INNOVATIVE for NEW and INNOVATIVE's sake. We want a better 518.

Sorry for the :spergin: but goddamn.

I don't disagree with you about getting simply an updated MX518, but as far as I am concerned the G500 is pretty much just that. It has basically the same shape with a modernized gaming mouse feature set. So unless you are talking about aesthetics or simplifying the design a bit so it is more vanilla and not so much gaming oriented, I really don't follow ya.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2010

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Goo posted:

Linux Nazi - I think by flick scrolling he means that he's able to get a little extra rotation by flicking the wheel - three or four extra clicks. I would guess that with the RAT 7 he's not able to do this, that the wheel has less mass or requires more force to rotate and therefore stops rotating immediately when his finger leaves it.

Even better then! Not enough mice have good tactile resistance like the old boomslang wheel.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

ColHannibal posted:

The RAT 7 takes considerable time to get used to, the laser gets hosed over by a micron of dust, not to mention at random intervals the tracking will lock on one axis so i can only go horizontal or vertical until i pick it up.

My mamba did all of this same poo poo.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I bought a deathadder back when it first came out, It was the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, however it seemed to get somewhat warm all by itself, I would sit down on a cold day and it would be warm. I guess it is because of the infrared light or something, then the mouse wheel started squeaking. I've noticed they've since released a new version of it does anyone know if they fixed these problems, mainly the warming up problem (I have sweaty hands) I can always use some oil for the squeak problem.

My mamba (did I mention I hated my mamba?) started squeaking after about 2 weeks, the reason it does this is because all of the moving wheel components are plastic on plastic as far as I can tell.

Checked the web and it is a pretty common complaint. People recommended using a type of graphite to deal with squeaking, since oil will only attract more dust and grit.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

A Child's Letter posted:

I'll ask again, because my google skills are failing me: Does anyone know of any good left-handed mice (other than the Razer DeathAdder)? Not necessarily a gaming mouse, but something with at least 5 buttons? If not, I'll just keep rocking my ambidextrous Mx310, but I'm curious... I know that, once, Logitech made a wireless left-handed mouse (610? I think), but it was wireless, and I've discovered I can't stand wireless mice. Thanks for any leads.

It really blows my mind how completely shat upon lefties are in the gaming mouse market. I mean, the number of left-handed mouse users is certainly not the majority, but has got to be significant. Thankfully I'm not a lefty, but roughly 10-15% percent of the population is.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Insidious posted:

A squeak, you ask? Oh, I was just getting to the best part. The mouse wheel squeaks. Seriously. A $120 mouse and this piece of poo poo squeaks like a goddamn shopping cart wheel. I've used $5 Dell mice at work that had wheels that don't squeak. Apparently theres some hardware that sticks out inside and rubs against the wheel. Fixable, if you want to void your warranty.

gently caress this mouse. I'm done putting up with it, and this week I got a G700. The G700 is simply what the Mamba should have been, has none of its bugs, and was $75 on Amazon. What shameful, shoddy execution.

I laughed pretty hard at your post, but this really drove me nuts as well.

The mamba is a monumental piece of poo poo for $120. Mine started squeaking shortly after I bought mine as well, and between that, the poo poo drivers, and the rubber side grips that quickly started peeling off, I returned mine and got a G500 instead.

It is a shame, since I really liked the feel of the wheel and the general shape of the mouse was pretty great. Better than my G500 as far as I'm concerned.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

boingthump posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Razer Lachesis mouse? I'm one of those cursed left handed mouse users so I have to stick with a symmetric design.

I currently have a Logitech G3 that I like but it's on it's last legs. My biggest draw to the Lachesis is the extra 2 buttons on each side.

FWIW Razer makes a left handed version of their DeathAdder.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Green Puddin posted:

OK what the gently caress is this bullshit?

Years ago, I'm thinking high school (maybe 2004 or 05), I bought me a nifty little trackball mouse from Logitech. You use your thumb for the pointer, and there is a place for your hand to rest for left, middle, and right click as well as a scroll wheel. It's been working wonders since I've gotten it, and am happy it's still around to this day. Use it all the time.

Well, with my new job, I realize as I use my keyboard and mouse that... Ew. Whoever had this before was a loving slob and I will need to wash my hands twenty times when I'm done. May as well buy myself a new mouse and keyboard.

I can get a twenty dollar USB keyboard no problem. But you know what I want? I want another Logitech TrackMan Wheel mouse. Because I still think it's that awesome.

Mind you, I think when I bought this it could have been around $20, maybe $40 if I was pushing it. Now?

I will need to pay upwards of $100 to $200 for this loving thing.

So I guess two things here:

1) I've never expected that these would be so expensive. What the gently caress?

2) Anyone know a good trackball mouse like the one I have now? I do prefer using my thumb for the pointer, I've used and seen the kind that stick the ball in the middle and tbh it feels clunky and I dislike balls being there. I don't want something obnoxiously huge, but I don't want to pay $100 either. I don't care if it's a blatant knock off, as long as it works I'm chill.

I feel your pain. They made the best finger trackball ever, the TrackMan Marble FX, and if you are lucky to find one in good condition now, you are going to be paying ~$100 for it.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Goo posted:

The product is discontinued and existing channel stock is being sold by opportunistic retailers at a premium. This happens sometimes with niche products like trackballs. There is an alternative in the M570, which is listed as an alternative product on the same Amazon page you linked to.

I just don't understand wireless trackballs.

I mean I get that there are times where running a cable from the tower to the desk may be undesirable, but unlike a wireless mouse you aren't fighting the cable at any point. Logitech seems to have gone wireless on both of their flagship trackball models.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Goo, please tell me that logitech has been secretly working on an update to the Trackman Marble FX. :(

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

NihilCredo posted:

G9X -> small hands and/or claw/finger grip
G500 -> large hands and/or finger/palm grip

That's pretty much all of it. The G500 also has an extra thumb button and a mechanical hyperwheel switch.

The G9x has a switch for that as well, it's just on the underside of the mouse.

I own both and I prefer the G500 for it's shape, but both mice are pretty great.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Copper Vein posted:

Wow, never saw that gaming software before, I'm still using setpoint and the g-series profiler.

Also goddamn I love the G13.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Nettle Soup posted:

In the meantime, if it starts doing that thing where it double clicks instead of single, which a lot of Logitech mice seem to, pick it up and slap the bottom of it with your hand, fairly hard. It should be ok for a while after.

My new-ish G500 has been doing this a lot lately, it seems to get stuck in a mode where it wants to double click every 2nd or 3rd click.

The button feels absolutely perfect, and to me it seemed like a strange software issue. I've not bothered to get a replacement since I'm not sure it will help, but maybe I'll look into it.

What are the characteristics of the double-click issue that you allude to? Should I notice something physical about the mouse w/r/t the buttons feeling mushy or anything?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

Well I'll be picking one up on release day. Now all I want to see from you guys is a G13 minus the LCD and backlights.

There's a button on the device that disables all of the lights? Besides, the LCD on the G13 is actually useful.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So does the G400 not have a tilt-wheel?

I would consider it a good thing if it didn't. I love my G500 but I really dislike the tilt-wheel, it's useless and flimsy.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Copper Vein posted:

No tilt wheel on the G400. Just a standard, non-descript job.

I feel it's shallower with less resistance than you'll commonly find in a gaming mouse, if one compares it to the wheels on Razer mice or the Zowie. Some mice wheels are stiff enough that the entire mouse will slide if you push against the wheel with your finger, and I find this preferable.

I'm not scrolling pages with my gaming mice, I'm switching weapons. I like them purpose built.

The original boomslang from back in like 2001 had the absolute best mouse wheel for this reason.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Dominoes posted:

That looks a lot like the Intellimouse Explorer.

Intentionally I'm sure. Probably caters to people who wanted a modernized intellimouse.

HalloKitty posted:

Reminds me of the episode of Pimp My Ride where they put LCD screens underneath the car, and in the mudflaps.

I refuse to believe this ever happened. And I don't want to be linked anything that proves it, I don't have any faith left as it is.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Trackball users? Men, grab your pitchforks!

I wish Logitech would release an updated Trackman Marble FX. Give it USB and a scroll wheel and be done with it. Forget wireless, it isn't as if the cord gets in the way on a stationary trackball.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

On Terra Firma posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Steelseries mice? I have a Deathadder 3.5 and while I think it's alright, it's kind of heavy and I want to try something a bit lighter. I'm looking at either the Kinzu or the Xai but it seems like both get mixed reviews, albeit by people that love logitech mice for some reason which I cannot stand.

You think the Deathadder is heavy? really?

I'm not sure you can find a lighter mouse. That thing is made up of thin fisher-price plastic as it is. You could probably crush it against your forehead like a bear can.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So I know this is the mouse thread, but I gotta give props to logitech in here, since I just got off the phone with them about my busted G13 gameboard.

I bought this thing when it was released in 2008, and I wasn't sure what the warranty on it entailed. I've worn out one of the smaller buttons next to the thumbstick (not the keypad, but one of the function buttons). Guy on the phone informs me that it only has a 1 year warranty, and unfortunately he can't really do much for me.

Perfectly understandable, I used the poo poo outa this and it's 3 years old, things gonna wear out.

He then sends me a 50% discount code for the online store if I want to order a new one. Which I'm gonna do since I can't game without it any longer. The call is going to save me like $40.

So there's another anecdote on how much Logitech customer service owns. Even when poo poo's outa warranty they hook you up.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Nyfrin posted:

Well, now we know why there was a blowout on Amazon for G-Series mice - it's time for a product refresh.

Anandtech article - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6848/logitechs-g-series-branding-and-product-refresh

And the Logitech microsite - http://www.logitech.com/en-us/microsites/gaming-science?WT.ac=ps%7C10821%7Chp

Looks like new sensors and better switches, new hydrophobic coatings and better wear resistance for the keyboard keys.

No update to the G13 :(

Razer put out a new mechanical switched version of the N52 and I am hoping Logitech follows it with an updated G13. Not that there's really anything wrong with the current G13, but more tactile response on the keys and a better tip on the joystick would be fantastic.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Copper Vein posted:

I put a Xbox controller hat in one of my G13's, and you should too.

I have an old 360 controller that constantly drops signal so I may cannabilize a joystick out of it. Is it an easy swap?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So I have a bit of a performance mystery I can't wrap my head around...

I've recently built out a game room and started doing some PC gaming on a 47" television.

I noticed that in FPS games my already sub-par gaming ability has gotten worse. I figured it may be display lag on the television vs a decent monitor (came from a Dell WFP 3008). So I fired up a mouse reflex test:

http://www.brainmetrix.com/reflex-test/

I was only hitting like 25 of the 60 hits. Which is abysmal.

Since I re-purposed some old hardware to the office location where my gaming PC used to be, I dug up an old Logitech G9x to use as the mouse on that system, and when I ran the mouse reflex test (just for shits) I was able to get 50+ each time.

So I moved the G9x up to my game room, and I'm still able to get 50+, which is 2 fold what I am getting with my G500.

Both are configured the same way in terms of features and sensitivity through the gaming software, and honestly the G500 is more comfy.

What in the hell is going on? Why am I so sloppy with the G500? is it a different type of laser?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Goo posted:

G500 or G500s?

G500 and G9x have the same sensor. They should behave the same. The only real difference would be that possibly the way you hold the mouse could change your reaction times.

G500s has a firmware update to address latency on some units.

It's an OG G500.

Yeah I looked it up on Wikipedia and they are both the same laser. Oddest thing.

It presents like a lag issue with the 500, because on that linked mouse reflex test, I'm constantly overshooting the mark with it. When I play the G9x, it almost feels like it stops prematurely because of how used to the G500 I am. It's like my brain started compensating for the lag, and when I play with a mouse that behaves differently it's a little jarring.

And I should add: I'm not typically this spergy about my mouse. Normally I find one that's comfy and figure "good enough" and I use it for years. I never even ran through a reflex test until now.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 7, 2014

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Ugh, not going to be able to resist pre-ordering that new Logitech. This loving company...

I don't think I've bought a non-Logitech mouse in well over a decade, sans a Razer Mamba which I had to return a week later. Last time I bought either a Razer or a wireless.

Any clue on the release date for the G502?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Oh sweet BestBuy does have them in. Ordered for in-store pickup. Will post my thoughts tomorrow!