Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone know if there's been a successor to the Logitech V450 nano?

After 3-4 years it's finally crapping out on me.

I need a new small, accurate, cordless mouse.

Help! :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

Great Mouse. Good improvement over the VX Nano. Best part is the ease of turning it on and off when I'm walking around with it.

The VX Nano is a bit crap, though.

The V450 Nano is still for sale, barely. I'm getting more of those. I doubt the Anywhere is better, because v450 is fantastic :>

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Someone please recommend a small laser mouse that is decent for gaming, without having 20 buttons. Preferably wireless, but not necessarily. And probably not Logitech... seems like their quality has gone down. Tried to replace my M505 with a very similar M525 but it's garbage, somewhat stuck to the mouse mat and thus unsuited for small movements/gaming, and noone sells the 505 anymore.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Why are you using a lovely consumer mouse and expecting it to be good? The Logitech gaming mice are pretty much the best you can get, but neither of the mice you just listed are intended for gamers. What you want is a g402.

The M505 was not lovely, it was pretty good even for gaming, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the "replacement" M525 should be similar in quality.

Thanks for the G402 suggestion.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Did Microsoft or anyone else ever release a successor or similar mouse to the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse? I need a new one soon but they've been discontinued.

What I need: Nothing fancy. Wireless. Light, not big. Some friction underneath so that it stays in place unless you intentionally move it. Max €50.

Edit: n/m. Went for the Sculpt Comfort Mouse.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 29, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Have any of you tried the Logitech Pro X Superlight?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What is dpi shift used for?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I have this old little Logitech receiver station or w/e you want to call it, it's a cable that goes from the PC's usb port to a little dock you put on the desk close to the mouse, where you put in the radio receiver for the mouse. It's old though. Some usb 2.0 thing. Would that hamper my new 99999 DPI super-mouse?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Those cables are often really poo poo quality and can in fact impact performance on high bandwidth devices. I'm not sure what the likelihood of one impacting your mouse is, but I used one to offset the location of a USB Wi-Fi dongle once and it absolutely hurt the performance of it. I've seen someone else have a similar issue but I can't remember what the device was.

It's not an extension. It's a docking station for 1 RF dongle. Meant to be used for Logitech wireless mice.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

K8.0 posted:

I know what you're talking about. It's a USB extension cable. Male A to female A, a weird shape at the female end to hold a dongle upward at an angle. If I were going to use one with a high-performance mouse, I'd probably use one of those pieces of mouse benchmarking software to make sure it wasn't hurting my performance, because like I said I have seen them cause some kinds of issues.

Okay. Will do. Thanks.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Got my Logitech Pro X Superlight yesterday.

It's a piece of poo poo. Why was I stupid enough to try Logitech again? I never liked them in the past.

I paid $75 for it and it feels like a $10 piece of trash. lovely plastic. Bad comfort. Needlessly long. Unsuited for fingertip grip. It's broader exactly where you want your fingertips to rest, and narrower where you wouldn't.

Hard to get used to the complete absence of acceleration. Makes it hard to turn around in FPS. It was easier to aim for headshots with it though. Guessing that's from the much higher DPI compared to my old MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse.

I'll have to either keep the Superlight exclusively for CS2 sessions and the like, or sell it. Can't use it for general Windows stuff.

What mouse should I try next? It needs to be small and suited for fingertip/claw grip. High DPI. Slightly soft/rubbery sides so that you get a good grip. Don't care about extra buttons.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 22, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Kibner posted:

If you want just a general desktop mouse (NOT GAMING!) that is small and is pushed around by finger tips, https://www.dxtmouse.com/ has some great vertical mice. I have the older DXT Mouse 2 that I use for work and general desktop use and love it. Definitely has relieved some pains compared to using a more traditional mouse. The one I have goes up to 2000 dpi and is ambidextrous (there is a button to press to switch it from left-to-right orientation).

It is a bit heavy and you can knock it over on accident sometimes. Also, recentering it on the mousepad takes more time than a traditional mouse (you tilt and lift as opposed to just lift). Even with those negatives, I still enjoy it. You move it primarily with fingertips for small movements and your whole arm for larger movements.

---

@EbolaIvory I appreciate your post! Thanks for that info.

My current mouse works fine, it's just not accurate/quick enough for maximum headshotting. It's very comfy for desktop use. I just want a similar compact mouse with high DPI.

Humerus posted:

Fwiw I'm not at all a competitive player, I mostly play Guild Wars 2 (an MMO) and single player FPS games and I'm absolutely smitten with my ultralight mouse, a Glorious Model D wireless. They actually just came out with an updated "Pro" model that removes the holes, the RGB, and the large logo which are all things I was pretty ambivalent about (but not enough to make me not buy it). I got mine for $60 and I think it's a steal for that (the Pro is $100 MSRP, the original is $80). If price had been no object I probably would have tried the Deathadder V3 Pro. I like ergonomic mice.
Anyway like I said I'm not a high level player but what's nice with the ultralight for me is that I don't even think about the mouse, the buttons, nothing. It's just there and it works and it's easy to move. I'm coming from a Razer Naga (I used the 6 button side) and a G502 before that. I didn't think light weight would matter to me but I really like it. With that being said I don't think I would notice or care about a difference of 10g or something (the model D is like 60 something iirc) but I think moving from over 100 to under 70 is definitely noticeable and nice.
These days there's no shortage of small companies making these lightweight mice with modern sensors and nice switches. Most seem to be ambidextrous mice and I definitely wanted one I could buy from Amazon (to return if I didn't like it) but they're even starting to show up there with more frequency. I'm solidly a palm gripper so I don't know what fingertip people look for but there's tons of "mini" mice from these companies like the Pulsar X2 Mini and Lamzu Atlantis Mini (which seems to be one of the more popular on Reddit).
It feels like we're in a mouse renaissance right now, and I'm definitely biased because I'm pissed at my G502 failing within months of the warranty running out but I'm not sure why anyone would be spending Logitech money these days.

The mice you suggest are too big and too similar to the Logitech Superlight.

repiv posted:

i think rubbery sides went out of fashion overall since they tend to degrade really badly with use, you might have to go down the route of getting a plain plastic mouse and putting aftermarket grips on it

That's a shame. Mine hasn't degraded at all.

I'm considering the Asus ROG Strix CARRY. I don't see any soft grips available for it though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I was a bit too quick to drag the Pro X Superlight in the mud.

I hadn't used G Hub yet. It ran at 800 dpi by default. It's more satisfying at its highest DPI. :v:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

my superlight review:

pros:
wireless is a significant upgrade over wired
great input latency
good battery life
many onboard profiles and onboard logitech mouse features like dpi shift
maybe it fixes double click issues plaguing logitech g pro wireless series?

cons:
low weight is overhyped
probably overpriced
absolute bare minimum of buttons which complicates profile or dpi switching

if you use this mouse, use omm which is strictly onboard profiles and not ghub

there's probably a much cheaper mouse that's just as good in the low latency mice tested on rtings but idk what that is:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/latency

Btw, what is omm and why is it preferable over ghub? I tried to enable onboard profiles on it through ghub, but after clicking the button and then activate (when it asks if you want to control it and unlock features), it just reverts to onboard profiles off :confused:

Also, discovered another min-maxing strat while reading about the surprisingly heavy Asus rog strix carry (they put two aa batteries in it, stupidly): You can buy lithium (they are lighter and last longer) aaa batteries and use an aaa to aa adapter (dirt cheap). That reduces the weight of the Carry from 120g to 95g lol.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 23, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

logitech onboard memory manager sets onboard profiles in a simple straightforward way:
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133

ghub requires constant running in the background. setting onboard profiles and managing profiles is confusing. ghub had actual bugs ime where dpi shift would randomly glitch out. lots of people report flakiness. i would not be surprised if it adds input lag.

use ghub only if you need features like macros, automatic profile switching between desktop and games, and stupid rgb bullshit

Thanks! Uninstalled Ghub.

Still unsure about keeping or selling the Pro X Superlight. Its big size and lovely plastic irks me for desktop use, it'd have to be for FPS gaming only, and it's kind of a hassle to keep two mice and two dongle cables on the desk, and two sensitivity settings.

Might try the Asus rog strix carry, with lithium aaa batteries to reduce weight.

I filtered for compact size on a price checker, and there are very few compact mice with high dpi.

The ones recommended by EbolaIvory are the same size as the Pro X Superlight, unfortunately.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 23, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Yeah, I took a look at the eloshapes site EbolaIvory posted. Neither that site nor rtings.com have the glorious MS Sculpt Mobile Mouse though.

I've ordered the ROG strix carry (after reading that the sides are rubber :v:) and lithium aaa batteries + adapters. It'll be a bit on the heavy side (~95g) even with that, but we'll see.

What's the deal with skates? What do you change by adding custom ones?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 23, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Some are faster or slower than others.
Some react differently to different mats.

https://shop.g-wolves.com/products/g-wolves-hsk-pro-4k-wireless-mouse

Fingertip mice exist. Obviously don't buy that insanely overpriced thing but I'm sure theres a clone!

How would you go about finding a clone? I searched for fingertip mouse and only that g-wolves thing came up on the aggregator (though this is for the market in my small country). $180 and 1 year warranty, lol.

For now I'll be trying out the Asus rog strix carry with smaller lighter batteries inside. I ordered it all yesterday. Should take the mouse to an acceptable weight, hopefully. If the skates are good it shouldn't be too hard to make short fast movements with it.

And, knowing I'm spamming the thread a bit, btw, what mousepad material and size do you guys use? I have a new Deltaco kb-200 atm, and I'll be buying new ones more regularly after seeing how much extra drag there was on the old one. It's only 230mm wide though. Makes low sens gaming a bit restricted.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 24, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Btw, for all of Logitech's claims on the box of "0 accel, 0 smoothing, 0 bla bla bla", the Pro X Superlight is heavily biased towards horizontal movement. The feet make it so that moving the mouse up and down needs much more effort.

Edit:
Never mind. Checked the box again. It comes with an extra PTFE bit that removes most of that bias.

It also comes with thin adhesive rubber bits that you can fasten on the sides. Yay. :v:

I should check things out more carefully before bitching.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 24, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Jump onto Aliexpress and all those sites, look up small form factor mice, then make sure they have a good sensor. 3395 is the standard. I don't see any exact clones myself of those mice but fingertip mice are just mice that can be used fingertip so basically any low profile ultralight fits that bill.

You can use RJNs website to figure out mice that fit your hand then use ELO shapes to compare cheap versions from amazon/ali.

https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-search

Hm. When I enter my hand size and select fingertip grip, it recommends mice such as the Pro X, mice with 12-13 cm length. That's what I don't want. :ssj:

Entering length and width below what I have gives some leads though. Thanks.

The rog strix carry should arrive in a couple of days, I'll see how that one works out first. :)

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 26, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Thats because "in theory" that part of the mouse probably wont matter if you're really choking up as far as you'd need to on those tiny mice. In theory of course.

Which one? I've personally never been a fan of ASUS mice but I did have a pretty decent linear keyboard they made.

What do you mean by "choking up as far as you'd need to"?

Afaik there's only one Asus ROG Strix Carry. It's the compact/travel size one, hence the name Carry.

I've since discovered it's got a somewhat inferior sensor though. A 3330. It's a cheaper one but should perform okay.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Like if you're finger tip gripping you shouldn't really be resting your palm anyways and most mice that are non ergo have low backs. This combined with you in theory being near the front of the click buttons means even if the mouse is a little longer or whatever, you probably wont rest on it if you're actually finger tip gripping.

Basically what I'm trying to say is if you are in fact finger tip gripping a longer mouse shouldn't matter. Obviously you don't want it to be a limo or something but your average ultralight shouldn't be a bother.

Also that ASUS seems fine. 1k polling, decent battery/sensor. Yeah sure it aint the new hotness sensor wise but like whatever. Looks like what you want size/shape wise for sure.

The length does matter because 1) it affects the feel of the mouse when you move it, there's a presence of its shape and the slight friction of the needlessly long end that you feel, and 2) if you hold it by the front/mid, it'll butt into your palm when you move it downwards. The Pro X is tolerable for fingertip grip, but it's clearly not designed for anything but palm grip barbarians.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Then you're drooping your palm a bit or have smaller hands. I have very average hands with long thumbs and can't imagine hitting my palm while finger tipping. At least with mice such as the M600 in size/shape. and definitely not to an extent I would notice. My Stormbreaker/G703 have humps that you simply can't ignore because they are ergo mice ya know?

I mean it dont matter, everyones grips a bit dif but a standard finger grip with average or larger hands, id imagine you shouldn't be running your palm into that part of the mouse regularly. But again, everyones a bit different.

With that all said I kinda hybrid fingertip/palm myself. Opens up a lot of devices that way + I'm not a hardcore believer of fingertip being the true one god of grips.

It's only when you have the wrist flat on your desk that this will happen. If you don't lift or move your hand, only moving the mouse with the fingertips, you're going to run out of space after a few inches. It's not really a problem that'll happen often, but it's something that wouldn't happen with a shorter mouse.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Trying the Asus ROG Strix Carry now. It's heavy as gently caress. And a bit imbalanced in weight distribution, heavier towards the back, which kinda sucks. Sensor seems great though.

My plan was to use Lithium AAA batteries with adapters in it, but the mouse's manual says you should only use Alkaline batteries in it. Is that something I need to take seriously?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

repiv posted:

generally when a device says to only use alkaline batteries what they mean is the device is designed to run on 1.5 volts, and might misbehave with common rechargables that are only 1.2 volts

lithium cells put out about 3.7v by themselves, so the ones designed to replace AA/AAAs have a little regulator inside which drops the voltage to 1.5v, making them equivalent to alkalines

the one catch is that the mouse will probably report the battery as always 100% full until it suddenly dies, since the batteries internal regulation disguises the voltage drop of the actual cell as it drains

Alright, thanks. I got the AAA Lithium batteries in now. This reduces the weight by a very important amount. I think I can use this mouse now. The shape and grip (rifled rubber on the sides) is great. If this mouse had been made with the in-built rechargable lightweight battery of the Pro X, it'd be perfect.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Humerus posted:

Hey goon that wanted a small as gently caress mouse:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-m4-wireless-mouse

Like half the size of the GPX, 35g, $49.

Cool, thanks, will keep an eye out for it next time around. I'm pretty happy with the GPX now (actually prefer it over the smaller but heavier Asus) after getting used to the shape.

Is 4000 hz a meaningful upgrade vs 1000?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
My Logitech Pro X sometimes skips a centimeter on the screen, as if it chugged and didn't take input for half a second. Using a usb3 port, wireless. Happens maybe once an hour.

Does that sound like a mouse issue or something else?

I'm switching it over to a usb2 port now. According to https://joltfly.com/mouse-latency-test/, that takes me from 6.25ms small delta to 6.60ms. :confused:

Edit: There's a monitor refresh rate limitation on most browser tests for mice.

https://zowie.benq.com/th-th/support/mouse-rate-checker.html, however, shows 1000 hz.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 9, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Great way to waste €75: one 50 cm drop was all it took to destroy the mouse3 function on my Pro X Superlight. And when I tried to gently pry open the button area and adjust the wheel, some tiny piece broke in there and now the wheel can't be used at all. :waycool:

Good thing I bought two overpriced fragile piece of poo poo mice rather than one. Time to use the heavier, smaller brother.

Edit: any chance I can try to get a replacement? Even though I pretty much destroyed it with my own clumsiness... One fall from a short distance shouldn't have been enough to destroy it. :argh:

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Just wanted to say I recommend the Asus ROG Strix Carry to anyone who wants a smaller mouse with a good sensor. I got used to the heavier weight (cf Logitech Pro X) after a few days. I use it with lithium AAA batteries inside convertors to AA. The hand-feel is fantastic. :hist101: