Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I use the side scroll wheel on my mx master 2 exclusively for volume control. I doubt I could live without it tbh.

Very excited to get the 3 in the coming months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I love my 2 month old Logitech MX Master 3.

Except for:

* The scroll wheel back-scrolls just a smidge when you stop scrolling down page. I think a tiny bit more friction would be better. My old MX Master 2 did not have this problem.

* The bluetooth connection is flaky. Every 30 minutes or so the mouse will disconnect (while I'm mid-mousing). The bluetooth icon appears in the taskbar and the number underneath the mouse flashes (indicating lost connection). It re-connects within 10 seconds. But this one really sucks.

So, I guess I don't really love it all. I hate it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oh wow thanks for the replies.

The MX 3 replaced an MX 2 that worked flawlessly for years but was just old and tired. No connection problems. No scroll wheel funniness.

I'm on a 2020 Dell Inspiron. Windows 10. Pretty standard stuff.

We'll see what the retailer says.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Roumba posted:

The Logitech Options software lets you dial in the stiffness of the mousewheel to however you like, pretty neat. I guess because it's all electromagnets 'n poo poo?

I don't use bluetooth, so I'm no help on that part. Sorry.

I can't find that option but I'll keep looking. I can tolerate a dongle (just) but the scroll wheel is terrible.

There is still stock of the MX 2 around so I might get one of those again.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A few weeks back I posted that my new Logitech MX Master 3 was disconnecting from bluetooth momentarily every 5 minutes or so.

Coming from an MX Master 2 which never had this problem, I was very disappointed.

But now the Master 2 is doing it as well.

So, either:

1) Both mouses are fine and the issue is the laptop (too coincidental, the MX 2 never had this problem before I got the MX 3)
2) Both mouses are screwed and the laptop is fine (still too coincidental)
3) The MX 3 was screwed and somehow using it with my laptop then made the MX 2 screw up (freaking how?)

It must be one of these but none of them make any sense at all.

Perhaps it's 4) I am the problem.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I was trying to avoid it but I plugged in the unifying receiver and it's working as it should.

*frowns and slowly shakes head*

"...in this day and age!"

etc etc other old man type things.

Thanks for your input. I'll just live with it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I consider a mouse a disposable item but I don't know much about anything really. Do you folks just enjoy repairing things? I've never bought a new mouse and thought "the old worn out one felt way better".

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

jokes posted:

The MX3S is the best mouse I’ve ever owned and I own the MX3, which was once the best mouse I’ve ever owned. Can’t speak to the Razer but the MX3 is a stupid high bar to clear

Just this week I was wishing my MX3 didn't click so loud. Is the S really silent? Is there anything else substantially different to the MX3?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. When in bed with my other half I resort to middle clicking links to keep the noise down. Which means I then have to close the old tab with another middle click. Laborious!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

jokes posted:

The only difference between the 3 and the 3S is that the 3S has a silent click which may or may not be something you want.

I personally prefer the 3S and will absolutely be buying this mouse again when/if I ever need to.

I just picked up a 3S after dropping my 3 on the floor this morning which resulted in a non-responsive left click button.

The silent click means I won't feel guilty surfing the web at night while the other half is sleeping. It really is the perfect mouse.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

MrTargetPractice posted:

At least with the MX Master 3S the scroll wheel isn't an issue as it's this neat sort of hybrid scroll wheel (it doesn't have tilt clicking (if that's what you meant) but does have a normal middle mouse) where it ratchets up to about a medium flick and then goes smooth scroll if you give it more speed. It's actually really neat and easy to get used to. The side scroll is a bit weird since the middle mouse wheel is fine. I have found it useful for 'accurate' scrolling when doing 3D work or video games.

I'm on my second MX Master 3S (the first broke when I dropped it on the cement) and I had a Master 2 before that. I'm about to return this one because the ratcheting mechanism in the wheel has this intermittent problem where it is very loud when I scroll super fast. Like, it sounds like a bicycle freewheel does when you stop pedaling. It is my perfect mouse otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

MrTargetPractice posted:

This is a while back but I just noticed there is another button on the thumb rest.

drat, I keep forgetting it is there. I haven't found a good use for it yet.