Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

My G700s' left click died after about a billion years and I ended up getting a G502 Hero. It seems fine except for whatever reason the mouse moves when i click which has been a big pain in the rear end. It's also uncomfortable after using it a long time which are both problem I've never had before. I did some looking and it seems like this mouse might be too small for my hand.

I used
https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-search

But the mice it suggests aren't really any bigger than the G502.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement for the G700s? I looked buying a used one but there are pushing 200$, Apparently I'm not the only person with this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

I'm another devoted G700 person. Haven't had to replace mine yet, but I've occasionally checked around the other options just in case.

The bad news, a G502 is already a fairly large mouse and there aren't a lot of gaming mice that are substantially bigger. But it may be less about the physical size and more about hand position. The G502 has the side button that's in front of the thumbrest -- are you finding that is altering your grip position? That's a thing I've been concerned about for myself, because I use a very "high" palm grip and I feel like my thumb would be directly on the button.

The other mouse I've looked at as a potential replacement is the Roccat Kone Air XP. Partially that's for the # of buttons, but also the shape seems fairly similar to the G700.

That site seems to have a very limited number of mice in their list. Try looking through rtings instead. The shape comparison tool is IMO way more useful than plain dimensions.

(Also, if you haven't thrown away the G700s, you can try opening it up to clean the microswitch. I've done this multiple times for my G700 to revive a bad left-click.)

Looking at the 2 mice a little more closely it looks like the major difference is in the height. The G502 doesn't touch my palm and the G700 does. I'm guessing that extra contact was giving me more stability.

I'll try cleaning it. When i originally did some research it looked pretty easy just to replace the whole board. I know how to solder but don't know how to unsolder things apparently. I thought it would be easy but it wasn't. Hopefully I didn't cook something on accident when I was giving it a shot and the cleaning thing will work out. Otherwise I'll take a look at that website you suggested.

Thank you kindly.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Bondematt posted:

Do you still have the G700? You can replace the switch if you want to learn how to solder.

Logitech and Razer are both going extremely cheap on the switches they use.

I just replace them with name brand switches when they start to go.

Yeah I still have it. I know how to solder I just don't know how to unsolder things. I think I have some of that weird paper stuff someplace that's supposed to absorb solder that might help out.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Thank for recommending the MX Master I think it's gonna work out. It's a bit taller and the grip is quite a bit different but in a way i think I can used to. At the very least it's more comfortable and I'm not getting the wiggle anymore.

NihilCredo posted:

Same here and I agree. The side wheel is much better than the tilt wheel for scrolling through tabs/windows/whatever, but it's pretty much useless for gaming since it's smooth rather than ratched. And there are only three thumb buttons besides that plus an awkward one on top.

Excellent productivity mouse though. I'd like to try a vertical mouse but other than that I have no complaints.

At least with the MX Master 3S the scroll wheel isn't an issue as it's this neat sort of hybrid scroll wheel (it doesn't have tilt clicking (if that's what you meant) but does have a normal middle mouse) where it ratchets up to about a medium flick and then goes smooth scroll if you give it more speed. It's actually really neat and easy to get used to. The side scroll is a bit weird since the middle mouse wheel is fine. I have found it useful for 'accurate' scrolling when doing 3D work or video games.

I was gonna say I have no clue what the button on the top of the mouse does since it didn't feel like a physic switch for mouse wheel modes. Apparently 'smart switch' for the scroll wheel.

"5/30/22, 10:37 PM Getting Started - MX Master 3S – Logitech Support + Download
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/5218056588311-Getting-Started-MX-Master-3S 3/8
Switch modes manually
You can also manually switch between modes by pressing the mode shift button.
By default, mode shift is assigned to the button on top of the mouse.
In the Logitech Options+ Software, you can decide to disable smart-shift if you prefer to stay in a single scrolling mode and always
shift manually. You can also adjust the smartshift sensitivity, which will change the speed required to automatically shift into free
spinning."

So you can reassign the button and mess with that hybrid scrolling sensitivity or disable it entirely and lock into one or the other.

I had some issue with mouse lag with the dongle plugged into the back of my computer (-6 feet with a think desk, a monitor, and the side of my computer case 'in the way'). Luckily I have a keyboard with a USB port so I just stuck it in there and it totally solved that issue. It's also Bluetooth but I'm not sure if that would be better.

I can't 100% recommend it as a direct replacement for a G700 but it's the closest thing I've tried. In all honestly if I had a tiny bit more disposable income I'd bit the bullet and just buy a G700 off Amazon for 180$ or whatever they are going for. It was the best mouse I've ever used though my need might not really be normal.

edit: I should add that at least with this model I can still do the claw grip. The mouse buttons are sort of 'floating' so you can press done anywhere to click them and the button goes back like a 3rd of the total length of the mouse. so if you scoot your grip back a bit you can get over that weird hump while clawing pretty comfortable. Not as comfortable as the G700 of course.

01/01/2024 edit:
This is a while back but I just noticed there is another button on the thumb rest. I took me so long to notice because it's beneath the rubber grip of the back part of the mouse and it's not in a useful position for me. My thumb rests on the sort of the tip of the thumb rest and I have to move my thumb back and roll it a bit to hit the button.

As an update on some of the stuff I said I'm not completely used to it and it's super comfortable. Now that I've adjusted to the weird shape I think I like it better than the G700. I use it all day ever day and I haven't had to charge the battery yet so it seems goo don that end. It also doesn't get crust like the G700 did so I have to clean it a lot less.

MrTargetPractice fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 1, 2024

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

MrTargetPractice posted:

Thank for recommending the MX Master I think it's gonna work out. It's a bit taller and the grip is quite a bit different but in a way i think I can used to. At the very least it's more comfortable and I'm not getting the wiggle anymore.

At least with the MX Master 3S the scroll wheel isn't an issue as it's this neat sort of hybrid scroll wheel (it doesn't have tilt clicking (if that's what you meant) but does have a normal middle mouse) where it ratchets up to about a medium flick and then goes smooth scroll if you give it more speed. It's actually really neat and easy to get used to. The side scroll is a bit weird since the middle mouse wheel is fine. I have found it useful for 'accurate' scrolling when doing 3D work or video games.

I was gonna say I have no clue what the button on the top of the mouse does since it didn't feel like a physic switch for mouse wheel modes. Apparently 'smart switch' for the scroll wheel.

"5/30/22, 10:37 PM Getting Started - MX Master 3S – Logitech Support + Download
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/5218056588311-Getting-Started-MX-Master-3S 3/8
Switch modes manually
You can also manually switch between modes by pressing the mode shift button.
By default, mode shift is assigned to the button on top of the mouse.
In the Logitech Options+ Software, you can decide to disable smart-shift if you prefer to stay in a single scrolling mode and always
shift manually. You can also adjust the smartshift sensitivity, which will change the speed required to automatically shift into free
spinning."

So you can reassign the button and mess with that hybrid scrolling sensitivity or disable it entirely and lock into one or the other.

I had some issue with mouse lag with the dongle plugged into the back of my computer (-6 feet with a think desk, a monitor, and the side of my computer case 'in the way'). Luckily I have a keyboard with a USB port so I just stuck it in there and it totally solved that issue. It's also Bluetooth but I'm not sure if that would be better.

I can't 100% recommend it as a direct replacement for a G700 but it's the closest thing I've tried. In all honestly if I had a tiny bit more disposable income I'd bit the bullet and just buy a G700 off Amazon for 180$ or whatever they are going for. It was the best mouse I've ever used though my need might not really be normal.

edit: I should add that at least with this model I can still do the claw grip. The mouse buttons are sort of 'floating' so you can press done anywhere to click them and the button goes back like a 3rd of the total length of the mouse. so if you scoot your grip back a bit you can get over that weird hump while clawing pretty comfortable. Not as comfortable as the G700 of course.

This is a while back but I just noticed there is another button on the thumb rest. I took me so long to notice because it's beneath the rubber grip of the back part of the mouse and it's not in a useful position for me. My thumb rests on the sort of the tip of the thumb rest and I have to move my thumb back and roll it a bit to hit the button.

As an update on some of the stuff I said I'm not completely used to it and it's super comfortable. Now that I've adjusted to the weird shape I think I like it better than the G700. I use it all day ever day and I haven't had to charge the battery yet so it seems goo don that end. It also doesn't get crust like the G700 did so I have to clean it a lot less.