Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Good timing on this thread...

I've been looking to get a wireless keyboard/mouse combo set for my laptop.

I've been looking at Logitech, simply because I like the way their stuff is built. they have combos that work on bluetooth or their own little wireless dongle.

Given that my laptop has bluetooth and hardly enough USB ports, I guess I will go for the BT option.

Nothing wrong with that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

malefactor posted:

Only problem with blue tooth is it tends to make mice cost a lot more. It also tends to make them small. The market for bluetooth mice is people traveling with laptops that have bluetooth.

Yeah, I see that they are more expensive; but given the lifespan, it's probably worth it to save the hassle of having to run an extra USB hub.

However, the premium does seem pretty high when compared to manufacturer's home-grown wireless solns. I wonder why?

MrMoo posted:

Bluetooth has longer and more tedious coupling setup, non-bluetooth mice can be more convenient. For instance the latest Microsoft Arc Mice come with a tiny micro USB adapter and needs no software or effort above plugging it in to work on any platform.

But once you've done the inital setup, they run pretty smoothly, right? I'd really rather not use up one of my precious USB ports if I can.

My supposedly 'executive' laptop comes with a whopping 3 USB ports. One gets used to run a fan stand. One to plug in a flash drive. One for an external hard drive. One for the blackberry cable. Oh, that's already too many.....

spog
Aug 7, 2004

malefactor posted:

Get a usb hub.

I have a (not entirely) irrational dislike of hubs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

just for the record this exists (the bluetooth part) in the MX5500 desktop set. not much OSX support though, seems to think all the thumb buttons are middle-clicks

Seems that I have to buy this set. I cannot go against all the goon love for the revolution.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Profane Obituary! posted:

Am i the only one who uses a trackman?

For what it is worth, a friend's company introduced thumbballs to all their staff and within a month, most people had RSI on their thumbs.

Now, the finger trackball worked very well for me. The only issue I had is that is is hard to swap from mouse to trackball - the relearning curve may be only a couple of minutes, but when you are constantly using other people's computers (IT support), it's irritating.

On the other hand, now that I am using only one PC, maybe it is time to dig that track ball out of the cupboard again...