Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Here's my setup, HenryJLittleFinger, I'm actually only using one of the straight arms, not two as I thought:

http://imgur.com/a/vVZqY

If I was doing it again, I'd buy the 3M VHB tape like Sagebrush did, and attempt to stack and cut the tape to build the required contours for a good solid connection. I also plan to replace the brass washers with some nylon or similar at some point.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Put my gopro on my helmet finally, was only able to do a side mount but i think it came out well, recorded my trip into work today and plan to record my trip home later.

Anyone else with a hero3 (Or any gopros i think) able to tell me if they get bad battery life in the cold? It was only about a 45 minute journey into work this morning but when i got there the battery meter was just about empty, i think my battery might be hosed :(

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Keket posted:

Put my gopro on my helmet finally, was only able to do a side mount but i think it came out well, recorded my trip into work today and plan to record my trip home later.

Anyone else with a hero3 (Or any gopros i think) able to tell me if they get bad battery life in the cold? It was only about a 45 minute journey into work this morning but when i got there the battery meter was just about empty, i think my battery might be hosed :(

Cold fucks batteries, yes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

90 minutes in good weather is about what I can get from my hero3. Maybe 2 hours in the best case. Yes, the battery life will be worse in the cold. The gopro is actually designed to warm the battery with the processor heat to try and keep it working well.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Maybe try pre-warming the camera in a pocket or something before you start your journey, perhaps it will stay warmer while waiting for the camera to start generating its own heat. It may make no real difference though, the air cooling effect may just be too strong.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Cool, good to know, now if only the file sizes where a bit more manageable :(

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

LINK

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

Cool, good to know, now if only the file sizes where a bit more manageable :(

That's why you have to take them into GoPro Studio or w/e and compress them down.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

I hope the camera is a replaceable module if/when it breaks.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

VERTiG0 posted:

I hope the camera is a replaceable module if/when it breaks.

I'd imagine it is; Bell claims it is removable & can be used independently from the helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I hope it fits on normal Bell Stars :ohdear:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
This popped up in my feed today, seems interesting but i bet it has a loving terrible battery life.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusar-mohawk-make-any-helmet-smart#/

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I'd like to know how well its crash detection works. I feel like that would turn into your "guardian angels" getting spammed every time you stopped quickly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Given the electronics that are starting to appear in helmets (and racing suits), I think it's about time people started standardizing on a magnetic power connector to let your gear be powered and communicate with the bike. Just have a little pigtail hanging out the bottom of your jacket like on a heated vest.

Are there any standard magnetic connectors that aren't patent-protected? Ive seen some on medical equipment but they always seem to be custom designs, and Apple guards MagSafe jealously.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

AncientTV posted:

I'd like to know how well its crash detection works. I feel like that would turn into your "guardian angels" getting spammed every time you stopped quickly.

Airbags tend not to go off when you brake heavily so it's not hard to do - however this is indegogo so the chances of any of those features being delivered is basically zero.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Haven't people learned by now that crowdfunding is something to never, ever put money into?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My Sena 10C wouldn't take the most recent firmware update, so they asked me to send it in. Three days later I have a brand new in-box 10C on my doorstep. They also mailed me the SD card I accidentally left in it.

Pretty rad.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Haven't people learned by now that crowdfunding is something to never, ever put money into?

It worked that one time! Clearly now I should immediately get my wallet out when I see an ad on Facebook saying "Blowing up on Kickstarter..." as the very first words.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can anyone speak to the quality of this gear?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I ordered a similar set, definitely lovely Chinese plastic but it did the job. You can get that pack on Amazon all day long for next to nothing. I still use an official brand suction cup however, but for everything else the generics work fine.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Seconding the suction cup thing, we had a few at work and the off-brand ones where loving useless.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

So I recently purchased a Sena 10c, mainly because it was an all in one bluetooth and cam and I hate having too many things to charge. I took about 4 hours of ride footage today, what do you guys edit with? I'm not averse to spending money on software if it gets me something easy to use. I'd prefer to have it easy to use than free.

Also do you guys compress your videos because I took nearly 20gb of footage today and that's going to fill my HDD drat quick unless I go and buy a NAS and set it up. If so how do you do it?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The Gopro suction cup is amazing so long as you get a good connection on a clean surface. When I first used it I would tether it but I don't even bother anymore because it's never even slid.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fanelien posted:

So I recently purchased a Sena 10c, mainly because it was an all in one bluetooth and cam and I hate having too many things to charge. I took about 4 hours of ride footage today, what do you guys edit with? I'm not averse to spending money on software if it gets me something easy to use. I'd prefer to have it easy to use than free.

Also do you guys compress your videos because I took nearly 20gb of footage today and that's going to fill my HDD drat quick unless I go and buy a NAS and set it up. If so how do you do it?

Lightworks do a free version which is pretty good for just messing about, Sony Movie Studio is more fully featured and is frequently available with big discounts on Steam.

As to storage, not much you can do - that's just the size of HD footage. Compressing it will make it look like poo poo. Just save the stuff that needs saving. Failing that, 3TB external drives are cheap as poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Adobe premiere, it owns

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Giblet Plus! posted:

Mostly short videos of my 15-25 min ride to work and back.
Superlate to this, but it would work, while also being annoying. I have the normal cheap GoPro and I have to remember to take it off and charge it petty much every week despite only having a ~10 minute commute. If you're not bad like me about remembering to do that every other day I guess you'll be fine. Battery life is my #1 gripe with using a GoPro for this kind of thing.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Gillingham posted:

Superlate to this, but it would work, while also being annoying. I have the normal cheap GoPro and I have to remember to take it off and charge it petty much every week despite only having a ~10 minute commute. If you're not bad like me about remembering to do that every other day I guess you'll be fine. Battery life is my #1 gripe with using a GoPro for this kind of thing.

I have the entry level gopro and it is a bit annoying not having a removable battery. My bigger gripe is storage space. Only 32gb(29 in reality) available. My hero 3 black had an option to delete old video and replace with new video in set increments, I used 5 minutes. I really miss that feature.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Schroeder91 posted:

I have the entry level gopro and it is a bit annoying not having a removable battery. My bigger gripe is storage space. Only 32gb(29 in reality) available. My hero 3 black had an option to delete old video and replace with new video in set increments, I used 5 minutes. I really miss that feature.
I just have Studio import and delete whenever I charge. At the highest res my GoPro can do (720p) the SD card can hold 4+ hours of video, while the battery last more like <1.5 hours so never had an issue with storage.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really want one of those new cheap gopro clones - do any of them support an external mic? I had the "new" go pro hero, but I sold it because there was no way to put on a mic so the only sound I got was just horrible wind noise. I was debating getting a hero black but gently caress spending $500...

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Is mounting a hero 4 centered on a chin bar with the lens offset like an inch or two noticeable? Centering the lens while having the camera stay parallel to my body is going to take like a half inch thick chunk of tape or some sort of epoxy magic.

Some helmet manufacturer really needs to add a flat base big enough for a gopro mount right on a helmet chin. That or gopro should pay attention to the rigging people need to do for chin mounting.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nah. Making a custom base with epoxy is pretty easy, though.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Yeaaaaah I suppose but :sperg:

Edit: turns out I have no idea what the sperg code is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

astrollinthepork posted:

Yeaaaaah I suppose but :spergin:

Edit: turns out I have no idea what the sperg code is

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Awful app doesn't do quote trees it seems so it is still a mystery to me. The tism is really bothering me here.

I wish this weather would clear. It was sunny in the 70s for a couple days like two weeks ago and now there is ice and snow everywhere which happened sometime in the last hour. I just picked up a hero 4 black for a song and I am dying to use it. I have all these fantasies of cool footage that I know won't happen but drat it I wanna try.

I have been using it around the house with a sandisk ultra plus 64 GB and haven't noticed any issues though gopro recommends extremes. Am I gonna have issues pop up with an ultra plus? That's as good as it gets locally.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 8, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Awful app doesn't do quote trees it seems so it is still a mystery to me. The tism is really bothering me here.

:ssh: hover your cursor over the picture

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I'm on a phone with a 128 kbps connection man. SOMEONE TELL ME THE CODE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm on a phone with a 128 kbps connection man. SOMEONE TELL ME THE CODE

sure, it's :spergin: hope this helps

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

sure, it's :spergin: hope this helps

:spergin: :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

astrollinthepork posted:

Is mounting a hero 4 centered on a chin bar with the lens offset like an inch or two noticeable? Centering the lens while having the camera stay parallel to my body is going to take like a half inch thick chunk of tape or some sort of epoxy magic.

Some helmet manufacturer really needs to add a flat base big enough for a gopro mount right on a helmet chin. That or gopro should pay attention to the rigging people need to do for chin mounting.

Yes it's noticeable, whether you care enough about it is another thing. The camera can be moved to the side without a change to the mount placement by using a longer bolt in the thumbscrew thing, moving the camera to the side, and using small washers or whatever to fill the gaps in the mounting bracket so that tightening the thumb screw actually tightens the mount and doesn't snap anything.

I'll get a pic of my setup for you shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Actually, check my post history, I posted a pic earlier this year.

• Locked thread