Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I've seen that guy's setup before. Pretty drat sweet for $150. Looks like it's less intrusive than the traditional v570 that vloggers are fond of and it shoots in HD to boot.

Also, wow, that pen camera is actually pretty decent quality. The low fps is kind of distracting but that's pretty tough to beat for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

My GoPro came the other day. Unfortunately it's decided to be ridiculously cold down here lately so I haven't had a chance to use it up in the mountains to look at my riding technique yet. I did have time to take it out for a quick ride around the block the other day to test it out though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-By_R1GW1K0

Neat little camera. I mean that literally too--it's hard to tell from pictures online but these things are really tiny.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Hey, uh, for any of you guys with GoPro's, I would highly suggest not using the "permanent" sticky mounts. A couple buddies of mine were just down at Jennings this past weekend and one of them had his GoProHD vibrate off the bike at about 110mph. Luckily the person behind him was my other buddy who noticed the camera starting to wobble before it went flying. Otherwise it could have been a potentially awful situation. Apparently the waterproof housing works extremely well against impacts too! The camera is fine, it just took a chunk out of the housing lens so he just needs a new enclosure and it'll be good to go again.

But yeah, I'm not sure if the clasp failed or what. He got the whole thing on video though. The suction mount is rated for speeds faster than any stock street bike is capable of (200mph) and it lets you get better angles anyway. No points of failure either, unlike the clasp on the sticky mounts. Just a warning :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

^^^ maybe overkill, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Weird that you haven't been able to get the suction mount to properly attach to plastic. I've gotten some pretty funky angles through fairing attachment. Maybe the HD mount is different than my standard GoProWide.

needknees posted:

Goddamn. After trying (and eventually succeeding) in removing one of the sticky pads it's amazing one would fall off in anything resembling normal speeds. Did he put the mount on his bike when it was relatively cold out? I could see that affecting the "stick" of things, along with maybe peeling paint or a generally dirty surface... But holy poo poo, those fuckers really stuck to my helmet. I could see the mount breaking if it got whacked by something though. What did they end up finding out after saving the camera? Did the roll down the road pretty much destroy the base of it?
Not sure when he mounted it, I didn't go with 'em to Jennings. I know it was pretty cold down there that weekend though. I think the only damage was a nick to the lens portion of the camera housing. He just ordered a new camera housing yesterday so $25 later it'll be as good as new.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

What song is that?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Standard def GoPro uses 2 lithium AAA's. HAS TO BE lithium -- alkaline batteries are bad for the camera and only last a few minutes. The HD models use rechargable lithium ion packs.

Edit: Here's another point for the GoPro: the housing.

This is the aftermath of my camera after my bike lowsided at ~55mph directly on the camera (camera was facing outwards on the side of the bike that hit the pavement).

Camera still shoots fine and even though the lens looks a little scratched the video doesn't show it. I'll buy a new case for like 20 bucks and be good to go. ContourHD or any other camera would have been destroyed on impact.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 26, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Ziploc posted:

Anyone try a Drift HD170?
That's funny, I read this post and literally 15 seconds later went to youtube and saw this in my subscriber feed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxw_eznV6LM&feature=feedu

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Friend of mine did that on a mountain run we did a few weeks ago

Really cool mounting location.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Live streaming your sessions at a track day/race back to the pits? That sounds like a hell of a good time.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

inevitable price reduction of the original
MSRP has already dropped to $240 :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

evensevenone posted:

Is there anywhere to buy a HERO2 for less than $300?
eBay. Other than that, no. GoPro enforces a strict MAP policy across the board so you're very, very, very rarely going to see them in stores for less than MSRP.

Spiffness posted:

If you know someone who works at a Best Buy or REI or something, employee pricing on GoPro's is pretty universally half off.
Are you sure about that? We're one of the biggest retailers for GoPro in the US and even store cost is higher than that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Wow. Best Buy must be getting a HELL of a deal from GoPro, because that employee cost is significantly lower than any store or distributor cost I've ever seen.

invision posted:

So what you're saying here is that you can get me a deal on a Hero2 :allears:
Evidently if I worked at Best Buy I could :v:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

It's not a bad idea to safety wire the camera to the bike if you're mounting it somewhere susceptible to flying off the bike like that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Invoices from GoPro have "May the force be with you" written on them. They're a pretty badass company.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Philanthropy! posted:

I'm on the other side of the fence with that. Corporate Geek-chic makes me cringe.
Meh, they are a laid back company with great employees and they are very easy to work with. You tend to appreciate that more after you have to deal with companies that are absolute nightmares (hi Dainese and Parts Unlimited).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I bought the Black edition almost entirely for the 240fps slow-mo, which is cool as hell, but admittedly not that useful on an everyday basis. I can't see any situation where the resolutions above 1080p would be useful to anyone but a filmmaker or huge sperg of some kind.
The biggest advantage is going to be the cropping you'll be able to do with something shot at 4K. This picture does a pretty good job of showing how huge the difference in resolution is:

So if you're shooting in 4K and something cool happens in the corner of the frame, you'll be able to crop in post and get a full 1080p shot of that region. A bit of creativity could probably conjure up some really awesome camera angles that wouldn't otherwise be possible, or that would normally require multiple cameras (eg picking up full-res video of both your clutch and brake hands at the same time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Gopro is telling retailers to make sure that customers are using the latest software (a new version was released a couple of weeks ago I believe) and to install the update manually, NOT using the java updater on their website. I don't own a Hero3 so I don't know if that actually solves anything or not though.

• Locked thread