Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I like how the first thing you see in the 2nd video is a red light runner.

I was trying to think of something to do with a bit of cash I've saved up from selling off a lot of old DVDs, and seeing some of the videos in CA, I think a Cam is just the ticket. Now to get purchase paralysis by doing all the research lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got a Hero 3 bundle on Boxing Day sale. First order of business will be New Year's fireworks so it'll be a while before I get any biek footage.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fuckit, took the 3 back and got the 4 Silver, which is the one I was actually after :v:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

Cool, good to know, now if only the file sizes where a bit more manageable :(

That's why you have to take them into GoPro Studio or w/e and compress them down.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The workarounds are to properly format the card using the SD consortium formatter rather than Windows,
I wonder if that's an ExFAT (correct) vs FAT32 thing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not sure - it chops the files at just below 4GB anyway, and the problems do all seem to be speed-related, so it's not an outright "FAT32 just won't work" thing. Is ExFAT lower overhead than FAT32?
Not sure about "lower overhead" but FAT32 has a max filesize limit of 4GB. ExFAT has much faster space allocation and deletion. It's the default format for SD cards for this (and I'm sure many other) reasons.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Always make sure your cards are formatted ExFAT, and yeah if the camera manufacturer recommends a particular brand and/or size of card, try to stick with it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It was either here or the gear thread someone was asking about GoPro helmet mounting. I figure here makes more sense :P

This is how I had it mounted on the way back to town this past Monday:

The RF-1100 has a ridge around the chin just to the left of where I ended up sticking the mounting pad. When I was measuring it initially for placement, I forgot to take into account the actual angle of the helmet when in use, so I had to put on a couple extra joint to be able to angle the camera back, otherwise it'll point down too much. Really, the mounting pad could be another cm or two towards the centre of the helmet and still not contact the ridge.

The pro move is to replace the thumb screws with hex bolts once you've got a good angle dialled in, so that'll be a project for another day.

After futzing with it for a bit, this also might be a good solution, and doesn't need all those extra joints:

Have to try it out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And by "left" what I really meant was "anti-clockwise." :v:

A crude approximation of where I could have put the mounting plate without too much trouble. You can see how the chin ridge splits the shape into a top and bottom area.

Here's a better shot of the ridge with one of the curved mounting plates held flush to the bottom of the ridge, right in the dead centre of the chin area.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The black trim juts out a bit, and the curve on the chin part is a bit steeper than the curve of the mount; you end up with about 2mm on each side of the mount if you try putting it on vertically.

If going in that area, you'd really want to build up a base for it to stick the mount on. Other folks have mentioned using Sugru for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

GoPros are just not helmet cams and the lengths people go to to get around that instead of buying something designed for the job is hilarious, and I can only assume something that earns the GoPro marketing department a nice fat bonus.

(Not that "proper" helmet cams can be gracefully chin-mounted, but I can only assume people start in on chin-mounting just to get around the other problems with mounting it)

Eh, I wanted one cam to do any number of things with, and the GoPro seemed to fit the bill. Not like I'm commuting on the bike and need a constantly running cam in case someone decides they like my spot in traffic.

• Locked thread