Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ye Mighty
Feb 13, 2008
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Balls, ye Mighty, and despair!
I just got into photography at the beginning of this year. I bought a refurbished Canon Rebel XT and have had a fantastic time shooting and learning. But sometimes I'll just be out and about and see something that I think would make for a great shot and I don't have my camera on me. Well, it dawned on me recently that I've got a camera with me everywhere I go - my cell phone. With the insane amount of apps available on the iPhone, it's possible to make create some quality photos on your phone. I can't speak to other platforms (BlackBerry, Android), but I imagine similar results are possible.

I like to think of it as fun hobby photography - something along the lines of polaroids or toy cameras. Technically, these may not be masterpieces, but it's fun to see what you can create with such limited resources. I try to shoot, edit and upload all from my iPhone, but there are no rules here really, just have fun.

My very first attempt at iPhone photography. Probably wasn't the best choice to do it at night, but I think the blur actually works for the photo.

Used an iPhone app called TiltShift Generator for this one.

The sun was setting behind a building and it looked quite nice. I ultimately decided to just turn it into a silhouette and tint it purple.

This one has pretty minimal editing to it. The shot is what it is, I just used Photoshop Mobile to lower the exposure a bit.

So let's post/discuss our mobile photography!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Started snapping with my iPhone a couple of days ago. It's good fun.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Cell phone cameras rule, good idea for a thread.

Ye Mighty
Feb 13, 2008
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Balls, ye Mighty, and despair!

brad industry posted:

Cell phone cameras rule, good idea for a thread.
I really like this! What exactly am I looking at?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The sun shining through a bus stop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don Of The Dead
Apr 8, 2007

I'm feelin' clean, I was only thirteen With the heavy starch, on my Bugle Boy Jeans

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 16, 2010

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I've been trying to do an 'iPhone photo of the day' on my twitter, but i probably only succeed 3 days a week. It's really helped with thinking about framing, and location scouting.

Don't know if twitpic is leeching, but my host is currently wonky (where most of the images are) so I'm just posting links.

http://twitpic.com/l8w25
http://twitpic.com/irhv8
http://twitpic.com/ipzg5
http://twitpic.com/ipzox

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Panorama, of course. I really want to get an Iphone, it's just the web usage plans suck in Australia.

GhostShirtSociety
Jun 6, 2009

Television. Doesn't it make you want to kick things?
Caveat: I did not take these. I am however an Aerospace Engineer and seriously interested in this. Found these this past week and this thread reminded me about them:

The key to understanding what's going on is to realize both were taken with camera phones. They camera element doesn't take the picture all at once like a conventional digital camera or an SLR. Instead, they take pictures by reading each pixel panning and working its way down the sensor. That takes a finite amount of time which, it just so happens, is near the period of a rotating propeller. Here's a youtube video of a MATLAB program that explains visually how the effect occurs as the propeller rotates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T055cp-JFUA

Science!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
....I need to go find a prop plane to take pictures of.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
That is the coolest thing, but still looks freaky as hell.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yeah this should work out great hm gotta get the whole propeller in frame so just a little clo

Don Of The Dead
Apr 8, 2007

I'm feelin' clean, I was only thirteen With the heavy starch, on my Bugle Boy Jeans

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

ceiling fan might work

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hey guys, I love using my phone to take pictures every now and then. I usually use it when I don't have my slr on me, and I want to remember a location, or how it looks at a certain time of day or something.
But this is a little extreme, it's a pano comprised of about 22-25 shots (there were a bunch of overlaps so I was sure I had coverage).

taken with a 2mp samsung Instinct:

and one exposure straight from the phone for reference:

woo!
Stitched in photoshop, it pretty much took care of everything.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

I use my phone when I don't have my camera. Which is usually when I am in a rush, or I'm in a place I think it might get damaged.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

spcefrk posted:

Caveat: I did not take these. I am however an Aerospace Engineer and seriously interested in this. Found these this past week and this thread reminded me about them:

The key to understanding what's going on is to realize both were taken with camera phones. They camera element doesn't take the picture all at once like a conventional digital camera or an SLR. Instead, they take pictures by reading each pixel panning and working its way down the sensor. That takes a finite amount of time which, it just so happens, is near the period of a rotating propeller. Here's a youtube video of a MATLAB program that explains visually how the effect occurs as the propeller rotates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T055cp-JFUA

Science!
Same sort of thing happens with video on the 2G iphone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0R3yq8O9r4

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've posted these elsewhere, but I'll put them here too:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Sadi posted:

Same sort of thing happens with video on the 2G iphone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0R3yq8O9r4

Did Apple add video, or is that a jailbreak hack?

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

It's really weird how I take so many photos with my phone that I wouldn't even think to take with my real camera. I'd like to take some b&w film with me to the dump (first picture,) though. iphone makes a good camera for location scouting if quality isn't a huge deal

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Ric posted:

Did you go on a journey through space and time?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

psylent posted:

Did you go on a journey through space and time?
I did indeed, and it was awesome. I sported Howard Moon facial hair for the occasion too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I hope they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

I've been hoping a thread like this would come along. I used to loathe mobile phone cameras but I've recently come to adore permanently having a camera in my pocket.

Darwin exhibit made out of sand

Sheffield, England

My friend ordered a coffee and was given a shot of Smarties to go with it

Devon, England

Tincans fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 10, 2009

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Holy crap, what kind of phones is everyone using here?
At any rate, Here's the most "artsy" photo I've taken with my LG Rumor, edited in Light Room:

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 10, 2009

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
It was a nice day yesterday

and there was a train, too

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Tincans posted:

Darwin exhibit made out of sand
Taken in Bradford?

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

wickles posted:

Taken in Bradford?

Aye. It was easy the most impressive part of their exhibit, shame it was permanent.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

dakana posted:

That reminds me of this.

That is better though, my photo was better in my memory.

Arinel fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 14, 2009

Karo
May 23, 2008

Alle Ruder stehen still, wenn dein starker Arm es will.

spcefrk posted:

Science!

I thought it was an art installation at first. iPhones may be the Holga's of the future.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Karo posted:

I thought it was an art installation at first. iPhones may be the Holga's of the future.

I was just going to post something like "The Digital Lomography Thread"*

*meant in a non-derogatory fashion.

Afterlight
Jul 2, 2009
These are some really neat photos! I've got a Samsung Propel and I'm just not happy with the image quality - 1280x720 and it only takes decent pictures in very good light. I should start taking photos with it more often anyway.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
My mom just got a Droid, and it has a 5 MP camera built in. I took a couple of pictures with it and they came out pretty nice. I'm definitely going to have to borrow it to shoot some stuff. Makes me feel like my Canon is out of date for only having twice the MP as a phone/internet connected electronic doodad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MP's don't matter that much when your dSLR's got 30 times the sensor area.

AtomicManiac posted:

3GS.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 17, 2009

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO

evil_bunnY posted:

MP's don't matter that much when your dSLR's got 30 times the sensor area.

Yeah, I remember I read that in a book. But it does take pretty darn nice pictures! I'll have to take some and upload them for you.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

AtomicManiac posted:

Not sure what people here are using, but I've always had the best luck with Sony Ericsson Cybershot phones as well as the Nokia N-Series (the N93 even has optical zoom wtf). Both brands have autofocus Zeiss-designed lenses on their mid-range to high-end phones. One thing you gotta keep in mind though- any phone, no matter how good the lens is, is going to have a tiny sensor which means you'll always get a little noise.

I hear the iPhone 3GS has a decent camera too, and you can focus by literally touching your subject on the screen which is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
Speaking of the 3GS...

Only registered members can see post attachments!