Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quadratica!
Oct 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

the posted:

This is my friend Rich. I got him at the flea market:

I don't trust no ice man.

I just got a new phone, the camera is still garbage but much better than my old one. Those iPhone 4 shots are very impressive though:

Gambl0r posted:

Taken with the iPhone 4, no processing:

I'm really impressed with how it handles extreme contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Yeah, one of these days I'm going to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I've always known there were good cameras on a few phones out there, but 95%+ of what I used my cellphone camera for in the past was to take a picture of something I would look up later (check prices on Amazon, look something up on the internet, etc.). One of my previous phones I even had to replace the shutter sound with a silent sound file because you couldn't disable it and it was awkward if I wanted to take a picture of something to look up later on. I had some kind of guilt issue about it (and I didn't have a keyboard on the phone to easily type in titles/author names).

Looking through this thread, it's pretty loving crazy how far image quality has come in such a fairly short amount of time.

With these newer phones, you can even take photos that OCR software can read in and spit out the text.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Hipstamatic is just my favourite thing... all the fun of a Holga without sacrificing perfectly good 120 film!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
yeah it's actually pretty fun

Quadratica!
Oct 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

tonelok posted:

Yeah, one of these days I'm going to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I've always known there were good cameras on a few phones out there, but 95%+ of what I used my cellphone camera for in the past was to take a picture of something I would look up later (check prices on Amazon, look something up on the internet, etc.). One of my previous phones I even had to replace the shutter sound with a silent sound file because you couldn't disable it and it was awkward if I wanted to take a picture of something to look up later on. I had some kind of guilt issue about it (and I didn't have a keyboard on the phone to easily type in titles/author names).

Looking through this thread, it's pretty loving crazy how far image quality has come in such a fairly short amount of time.

With these newer phones, you can even take photos that OCR software can read in and spit out the text.

I'm intensely self-conscious about the sounds my camera makes. The glares I got at a classical concert when my flash popped up (didn't go off, but I had it on some auto setting by mistake).

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Quadratica! posted:

I'm intensely self-conscious about the sounds my camera makes. The glares I got at a classical concert when my flash popped up (didn't go off, but I had it on some auto setting by mistake).

I had an old Praktica with me at a classical concert recently, thought I'd try to get a shot of the stage just before the musicians started playing. In the silent amphitheater, the shutter sounded like a damned firecracker. FWAAP! Got a lot of angry looks for that...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You have to be super tactical with that kind of stuff. Time the shots to coincide with bursts of sound. If you've seen Enemy at the Gates, it's the same sort of idea.

timbotch
Jul 7, 2002

I have to cross some railroad tracks every morning on the way to work. Found this early one morning. I thought the straw was a nice touch. Totally love having a camera in my pocket all the time.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tonelok posted:

95%+ of what I used my cellphone camera for in the past was to take a picture of something I would look up later (check prices on Amazon, look something up on the internet, etc.).

With my Android phone, I have a pair of apps that can do what you're looking for 100% automatically. One that recognizes bar codes with better than 99% reliability and then immediately looks up the UPC on Google Shopping and so on; and another app that is maybe only 75% reliable, but it does natural image processing, so when there's no bar code you can just point it at anything "standardized" (packaging, books, DVD covers, etc) and it will analyze the image and figure out what the product is. I found out to my disappointment that it mostly works on logos (you can't point it at a piece of mysterious fruit and have the phone tell you what it is, goddamnit), so it's kind of redundant in many cases, but still pretty cool.

Also I would recommend to anyone in the thread: before you take a picture with your phone's camera, either clean off the plastic cover on the camera's lens, or if the cover is part of the battery door as it is on my phone, take it off completely. The increase in clarity and contrast when you're not shooting through a scuffed-up, hand-oily piece of cheap styrene is huge.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I traveled to Boston and shot my entire trip with my iPhone 3G (was packing light and didn't have room for my dSLR). I'm seriously impressed with what my ancient 3G can do considering it's only a 2MP camera and has no autofocus. Of course, CameraBag helps a lot and so does Photoshop Express. Here's some of my favorite ones.

fr_180 by lmaoty, on Flickr

fr_157 by lmaoty, on Flickr

fr_155 by lmaoty, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
Love cellphone photography, and the new crop of phones have really decent little cameras (iphone4, droidx, galaxys)

Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto

Crazy monsoon sunset

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

multigl posted:

Crazy monsoon sunset

God. drat.

The layered colors are insane how it goes from orange to blue back to orange so distinctly.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

iPhone pics 224 by cloudchamber9, on Flickr

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, a lot of these look better than the shots that many point and shoots produce. Look out, Kodak!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ive been so busy with work lately that I havent been able to even pick up my camera. Luckily I got a HTC Incredible which has a great camera. Im currently using Camera 360 for android.

Took this at the White Sox game the other day. Surprisingly sharp for how far away (and drunk) I was. I agree with the camera phone technology finally making it a fun and useful tool. There are some great shots in here.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 18, 2010

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

iPhone 4
Hipstamatic
Lens = John S
Film = Pistil
Flash = Off

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dan Hollis posted:

That's an interesting shot you got there.

HTC Magic (there's an Android app similar to Hipstamatic). I think the little lines are supposed to be textured paper...not sure if I like the effect but eh. Fun program anyway.

Vendris
Sep 21, 2007

orange lime posted:

HTC Magic (there's an Android app similar to Hipstamatic). I think the little lines are supposed to be textured paper...not sure if I like the effect but eh. Fun program anyway.

Scratches on old paper more likely. Nice effect thou :)

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Vendris posted:

Scratches on old paper more likely. Nice effect thou :)

Ah yeah, the big scratches are for sure...I meant the little dithering kind of effect that runs horizontally throughout the photo. It's easiest to see at the level of the winglet, and on the clouds behind the flap cowlings.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I have that app too, on my Droid X. I love taking pictures with this camera....uh I mean phone?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

are there any apps for android that give you full manual control? Like manual shutter speed and ISO and focus, rather than dumb holga filters?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

drat, the camera on the Galaxy S can give some really nice contrast:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Took this at like 5am with the Hipstamatic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Augmented Dickey posted:

drat, the camera on the Galaxy S can give some really nice contrast:

Wow. I'd be happy with a result like that from my (slightly old) P&S.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

Wow. I'd be happy with a result like that from my (slightly old) P&S.
That's pretty impressive yeah.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Augmented Dickey posted:

are there any apps for android that give you full manual control? Like manual shutter speed and ISO and focus, rather than dumb holga filters?

The camera app for CyanogenMod-6 looks pretty cool --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAc8aoB2eU

You *may* need the actual modded ROM to even run the app, though. Good thing I've got it

Valrik
Apr 16, 2003

Bald!

iPhone 3GS with a macro attachment

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Iphone 3g and some Lightroom. Taken with Hipstamatic

Original

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Legs:

Made for walking

Aliens:

UFO

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

orange lime posted:

What's up picture of an airplane wing with a cell phone buddy? :hifive:

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Taken with MyTouch 3G Slide Android phone's camera.
Parking garage at work.

With "Retro Camera" app:

LostBanana
Mar 8, 2005

This is one of the few benefits of getting up so goddamn early for work. Thankfully on this day I was a passenger and snapped this:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Liking this.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
hipstamatic is kind of gimmicky, but under the right circumstances it can make for some really neat stuff.
IMG_0234 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

IMG_0227 by M Bradshaw, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Walked over the bridge to get home last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

iPhone - Museum of Contemporary Art by Ballistic Photon, on Flickr

It's actually really quiet there.