Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Here's my cell phone image of a duck, taken through the lens of binoculars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I tried to get a better shot but they wouldn't let me get closer than two metres. :ironicat:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Here is my cell phone photo of geese. The geese are as wary of me as I am of them.

e: Have an eastern great egret too

Megabound fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 1, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I got some geese too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

just a game of fetch in the creek on a hot day :)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I really like how you can just see the hint of God rays in that shot.

Some closeup stuff:

Korean red pepper powder

Custom blend for pasta sauce

Some David's Tea blend I still had

A multitool I use as a keychain

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 23, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Google adding AI-powered denoise and sharpen filters to improve those less-than-stellar photos:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/06/29/how-google-photos-pulls-pushes-and-polyblurs-your-pics-to-perfection/
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/04/23/bring-your-blurry-noisy-shots-back-to-life-with-these-new-editing-tools-in-google-photos/

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Any recommendations for a midrange cellphone with a decent camera?

Also do any besides google's phones save as raw for their composite/hdr/night mode?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I wound up buying a pixel 4a. I wasn't going to wait for the 6, and the higher priced models didn't seem to have improved main cameras, and the ultra wide lens is cool, but the raw samples didn't really make it seem worth the premium. I had trouble finding good information to make my decision, so I thought I'd share my experience after using the camera for a couple of weeks.

The google camera app is pretty sparse on manual control and I was a little worried, but there are 3rd party apps that can shoot raw photos as an alternative. Comparing the first party raw files with ones from a third party app it is pretty clear there is a lot of processing being done to the raw file. Noise reduction for sure, but the colors are also much more saturated, although it might just be the way my editor (darktable) doesn't really handle information embedded in the raw files correctly.

Overall I found the camera app mode good shutter speed and iso choices, which along with the stabilization got good results and I did not feel that I was missing the extra control. You do get a exposure comp style adjustment, but the automatic exposure is really protective of the highlights (probably because it HDRs the jpgs to hell and back), so I haven't had to make much use of it either. The base iso of 55 (and whatever noise reduction is baked in) seem to give a usable amount dynamic range for single shots too, not large sensor results, but good enough for the web, even after fixing the heavy vignetting and all the other editing I usually do. White balance is always a little blue, but this might my raw editor, I haven't played with it much on others.

One reason for the lack of control might be that it isn't just taking an single exposure even for the regular camera mode. There is some distinctive glitchy noise that happens when the multishot mode fails to handle motion correctly, and this sometimes happens in the regular camera mode raw files. It may of course be the noise reduction mucking things up, but it does seem to happen on moving things typically. With the baked in noise reduction/sharpness loss it is hard to compare it to the 3rd party raw files fairly to see if there is a real difference or not.

The lens is much better in terms of contrast, flaring control than other cellphones I've used. I'm not sure how much other correction is baked into the raw files though.

The night shot/multishot composite mode (that also produces raw files) is really something else though. I'm not sure it takes a multiple frames and combines them, but maybe builds up the exposure until it has a result it find acceptable, because even with the same settings it can take different lengths of time for the same shot. There is also another adjustment slider for shadows (which does affect the jpgs) that causes it to take much longer and produce more detail in the darker parts of the images (if you set it to maximum shadow brightness).

There is a sharpness penalty, more if set to maximum shadow brightness. And there are a number of ways the shots can fail (strange artifacting from motion and in the darkest part of the image), but it can produce usable results even when parts of the scene are moving as it recognizes this and uses a single shot for those parts of the image (which are then noisier). Best to take a couple of tries at a shot just in case as it will sometimes just produce noisier shots sometimes and doesn't always nail focus. The autofocus does pretty well (even without selecting a point, and tracks a point reasonably well if selected), and the depth of field is very wide, but many shots are limited by critical focus (and noise for the single shot mode), including the sample below.

I'm really happy with the shots it can produce in low lighting. I've got a couple of decent shots lit by nightlight, and the light from a nintendo switch, although neither without taking a number of shots. The night shot mode raw files also have a very nice quality to them, even large sensor cameras can produce dead looking shots in minimal indoor lighting, but I've really enjoyed the results so far. It is probably worthwhile to use even in good lighting, as even the base iso raw files are not nearly as clean.

Here is a sample shot using the night mode, edited from raw but only color noise reduction, and not sharpened:

And as a final point I find the jpgs absolutely horrible, from the HDR to the spatial contrasting to the noise reduction, just really terrible.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Some Boxelder Bugs outside the laundromat.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Any recommendations for Camera apps? I am using an iPhone 7 and would like a bit more control over the camera.

Also I'd like to get a bluetooth shutter button but they all seem the same. Any advice?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I use the Lightroom mobile app

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Taken while on a run in my hood during AIBF, Pixel 5a

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
PXL_20211016_165134491 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

PXL_20211015_161040178.MP by Esa Foto, on Flickr

PXL_20211012_194141385 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A bird sat on my roof

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I dig that square

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 4, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Just some abso-friggin'-lutely beautiful Winter Wonderland-class powder on all the trees today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think that's technically hoarfrost, but either way yeah it's loving gorgeous when it happens.

I've only been able to see it once and it was a great day of walking the woods.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

xzzy posted:

hoarfrost

That's "working girl" frost to you, mister. :colbert:

Hopefully on-phone editing of photos is allowed...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

p0stal b0b posted:

Hopefully on-phone editing of photos is allowed...

I don't see why not; though I only hit Auto on my iPhone almost all the time for my photos. :v:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah my pic is edited with a gradient to bump up the exposure of the land.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
It got a little frosty the other morning...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:same:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tomb of count Magnus de la Gardie in Varnhem Abbey church in West Gothland, Sweden. Magnus was one if Sweden's richest and most powerful men in the 17th century. Later he was an inspiration for the classic M.R. James ghost story Count Magnus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
From Paradise near Mt Rainier.