Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE
My local Borders closed down earlier this year. It was replaced with a TJ Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

iPhone 4S.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Moses Rips A Fart; A Children's Parable by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Pretty Little Demon Plant by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

We're Not Lovers/We're Not Romantics/We're Here To Serve You by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Also a 4s. You wouldn't know it from what I do to photos but it really is a nice little camera. Borrowed this one but ordered one for myself after using it.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

I took a picture of my car!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I got the iPhone 4S yesterday and am astounded by the picture quality that I'm getting from a drat cell phone. Holy poo poo!

What are some of the better camera apps? I've got Photosynth for panoramas and Photoshop Express. Not all that keen on Hipstamatic...

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 8, 2011

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

psylent posted:

I got the iPhone 4S yesterday and am astounded by the picture quality that I'm getting from a drat cell phone. Holy poo poo!

What are some of the better camera apps? I've got Photosynth for panoramas and Photoshop Express. Not all that keen on Hipstamatic...

Snapseed, Photoforge2 and Filterstorm for general image editing and filters. Camera+ is worth picking up for the separate focus and exposure controls, as well as the Clarity filter.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

psylent posted:

6x6 is my main camera app on the dock because I prefer the (internal) consistency of square format for cell phone photos and it has customizable focus and exposure gestures grid lines and instant startup.

That said, I do always have the x100 with me for "nice" pictures so the iPhone is for more experimental and fun stuff so I actually prefer shooting with hipstamatic and post processing later. Yes, it's a wretched money pit with the silliest business model ever but it does have a couple things going for it. One is that the Jolly Rainbo 2x is a surprisingly good flash compared to how the flash works in the default app. It can also be genuinely fun to shoot with.

The current downside is that it has a bug with the 4s that limits the max size to 1200x1200 and they're taking their sweet time fixing this.

I have two folders completely full of camera apps and the vast majority are more or less interchangable. if you view your iPhone as your always-with camera then Camera+ or 6x6 or one of the other big name apps will do you just fine. If your iPhone is just for fun or for when you don't want to bother pulling your normal camera out of the bag then there's a slew of apps to screw around with. I like Noir, Infinicam, Decim8, Vint B&W and Lo-Mob.

I'm also a fan of 8mm HD and shooting short videos with it. I'll export the .Mov files to my computer and bring them into AVIDemux to generate an AVI file and import that into VirtualDub which will let you extract frames. You can get some unexpected behavior doing this and I think it's fun.

Extracted 8mm frames:

Alice by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Untitled by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

ThisQuietReverie fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 8, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm feeling kind of dumb that I just discovered Hipstamatic's camera bag feature just now.

I'm really liking the Nashville pack.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

HPL posted:

I'm feeling kind of dumb that I just discovered Hipstamatic's camera bag feature just now.

I'm really liking the Nashville pack.

Even with just a pak or two hipstamatic gets unwieldy fast if you haven't used the camera bag to sort your lens'/films. Try the James M lens with Ina's 1935. I like it, it's one of the least wackiest combos.

Also, while checking their forums yesterday for news about fixing the resolution on the 4s (fixed finally, patch is up) their community manager guy said there was a retro-weekend planned for mid December.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 4S camera is fairly amazing. Definitely giving even high-end P&S cameras a run for their money. This is right out of the camera, no editing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
A few from Sunday. We climbed to the top of the island on the right in the second picture, something I've been meaning to do since I got here almost four months ago (I can see it from my balcony).

@ The Widowmaker by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

The Shima's by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Karatsu by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Takashima by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Takashima Summit by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Takashima Mural by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Should I feel bad for loving around with Instagram?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The 3g camera may suck, but it's better than my old phone.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I really like using my iPhone to take photos through my day. It's really a case of "The best camera you have is the one you're carrying at the time." Plus, I feel more free to practice things like framing and composition with the iPhone, it somehow feels less official, so it doesn't matter if the picture is lame or doesn't come out the way I hoped.

zakim by jpitha, on Flickr

Apartments by jpitha, on Flickr

Mathman by jpitha, on Flickr

Spiral by jpitha, on Flickr

PowerPlant by jpitha, on Flickr

Pru by jpitha, on Flickr

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm trying to get into Instagram but it's difficult to find people worth following. It seems to be overrun by teenage girls indulging their narcissism, and people posting images that either aren't theirs, or weren't taken with an iPhone.

I know Instagram doesn't really discourage people from posting photos not taken with an iPhone, but I think it would be a lot more interesting if Instagram was iPhone-only.

Instagram almost feels like Twitter, except with images instead of text. It just feels like way too much effort to sift through all of the cruft to find people posting interesting photos.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

haunted sleep posted:

I'm trying to get into Instagram but it's difficult to find people worth following. It seems to be overrun by teenage girls indulging their narcissism, and people posting images that either aren't theirs, or weren't taken with an iPhone.

I know Instagram doesn't really discourage people from posting photos not taken with an iPhone, but I think it would be a lot more interesting if Instagram was iPhone-only.

Instagram almost feels like Twitter, except with images instead of text. It just feels like way too much effort to sift through all of the cruft to find people posting interesting photos.

The whole non-iphone images really bugs me too. I even see pictures I know they didn't take in the "popular" feed. I've found a few decent people to follow on Instagram, but they are mostly architecture photographers. I get the distinct impression I fall outside the targeted audience since I'm not 13 or a girl.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Shampoo posted:

The whole non-iphone images really bugs me too. I even see pictures I know they didn't take in the "popular" feed. I've found a few decent people to follow on Instagram, but they are mostly architecture photographers. I get the distinct impression I fall outside the targeted audience since I'm not 13 or a girl.

Yeah, I give up. It's not difficult to find better iPhone photos on Flickr, or even Tumblr. I've given it a good 2 weeks, and Instagram is a wasteland. Hell, the built-in filters are even pretty boring compared to something like Hipstamatic.

I'm genuinely baffled by the obsession.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 17, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

haunted sleep posted:

Only iphones take interesting photos :m10:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

haunted sleep posted:

After over a year there, there are about 60 people I follow, probably 10-15 of which post regularly. A lot of them are cat pictures (as are a lot of mine). It takes some time to weed through the poo poo, but find a handful if folks you like and then look at who they follow, and what pictures they like. Over time you'll find yourself not even noticing the popular page, and by extension never seeing the stupid teen poo poo.

Regarding IPHONE ONLY, I used to feel the way you do, but after maybe 6 months I stopped giving a gently caress. Who cares? We all know what the iPhone is capable of, so there's no reason to dick-wave about it like there kind of was when Instagram launched (there were fewer iPhone 4 shots than 3G and 3GS, so it was worth noting when a good looking shot came from a phone, at least for a short while). Otherwise, a camera is a camera, so I'm happy to see film shots, DSLR shots, whatever, as long as it is interesting to me.

Also, regarding filters - yeah, they get old. Make your own. I'm sure it is pedestrian to pros, but I like Magic Hour because in addition to the presets, you can do some basic curve edits (among other things) and save your own filters, as well as download a slew if free filters others have made.

Since we are temporarily talking Instagram, what are your screenames there? I have ever only found one other goon there. Mine is northpaul.

rio fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 17, 2011

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

FasterThanLight posted:

Only iphones take interesting photos :m10:

Well you'd think a social network built around using the iPhone to take photos would, you know, feature photos taken with iPhones. Instead, Instagram feels like someone took Flickr and 4chan, mashed them together, and made it available only to iPhone owners. I'm not looking down on other phones or cameras.

I'm pretty sure I'm simply not the demographic Instagram is aiming for, hence why I don't really care for it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

rio posted:

Since we are temporarily talking Instagram, what are your screenames there? I have ever only found one other goon there. Mine is northpaul.

I am koshersalami on IG and I'll add you right now.

A few users that are worth following, in my opinion:

darkobepp - spooky B&W photos
yukany - great NY street photography
yasuko_k - weirdly captivating Japanese housewife with an eye for minimalism
pketron - like a million cool pics of BART
mustafaseven - probably the best photographer on IG, obviously uses a DSLR

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2011

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
http://www.vid-atlantic.com/encinemaowle.html

What is some of the photographers & videographers opinion on the iPhone Bubo + EnCinema kit? It's not cheap, whole project will cost around $350 and then you have to buy a lense, too (looking at a Canon 50mm 1.8 lense, $90 on Amazon).

But, when you get results like this and the iPhone 4s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-RDF6oMylM

It doesn't seem like a bad idea. Sure, it isn't the "real" thing, but the "real" thing is going to cost over $1000, which just isn't doable for me.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Seems like a waste of $350.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008

To battle by Jenseales, on Flickr

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Reichstag posted:

Seems like a waste of $350.

Is there any particular reason(s)?

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

89 posted:

Is there any particular reason(s)?

well...aren't you pretty much paying $350 to get depth of field? I can't imagine it having a reasonable low light performance since you are stacking stops on top of whatever the iphone lens already has. And finally, it's not like you retain the pocketability of your iphone or anything.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Well, the main appeal to me is being able to attach nice SLR lenses to it. I'm not worried about portability as if I have that thing on me, it's because I'm looking to shoot some pictures.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
yeah but the lenses are going to be more or less crippled because they are inherently restricted by having to pass through the iphone camera to finally reach the sensor. The crop factor must be insane on them too, meaning you won't be able to get close to anything.

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

Shampoo posted:

All are great, but these 3 were my favorites.

Took this one the other day with my Droid X1:

Happy with the overall results... but I must take the time to vent on the Droid X1's camera:
1) It has always had a HORRIBLE 20-30 second start-up time. 2) after the latest update, it now defaults to a 16:9 widescreen format with NO ability to set a default so I have to change it to 8MP, EVERY...SINGLE...TIME 3) Lastly, the sharpening makes the shots look like a Monet painting close up.

AlienApeBoy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 20, 2011

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Anti-Derivative posted:

yeah but the lenses are going to be more or less crippled because they are inherently restricted by having to pass through the iphone camera to finally reach the sensor. The crop factor must be insane on them too, meaning you won't be able to get close to anything.

actually not sure if the crop factor changes. looked at the design and it seems that the way DoF is even achieved is by projecting the image on to a 'focus screen' which sits between the DSLR lens and the iphone lens. The iphone camera is then focused on the screen, and you use an app which rotates the image (since it will be projected upside down.)
What is actually occuring is that the iphone camera is taking a picture of a screen that sits a few inches in front of it inside the housing. The DSLR lens projects the picture on to the screen from the other side. You are effectively taking a picture of a picture so i guess any crop factor would be in reference to the size of the focus screen and the distance from the screen to the DSLR lens.
However, I still cannot imagine this performing without a bright flash (iphone doesn't have a hot shoe) or bright sunlight since you are wasting so much light by fixing this device on front of the actual iphone camera.

The site says that f1.8 lenses such as a nifty fifty are okay. It recommends a f.095 lens though. No problem though:
http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Leica_50mm_f0.95_Noctilux-M_Asph

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

From my phone with instagram:

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Moment On A Train | Pig Races by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Rolling Filth by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

The Hangman's Daughter by ThisQuietReverie, on Flickr

Hipstamatic, toned in Photoshop.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone 4S stand? (I'm guessing iPhone 4 stands would work fine too)

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Turtle by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Twinkle Twinkle by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Viewtiful by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

iPhone 4s and 2 of my favorite apps- top image tweaked in Big Lens (done really quick and dirty, hence the imperfect masking), middle image decimated (in homage to This Quiet Reverie) in Snapseed, and the bottom one lovingly caressed into B&W by Snapseed.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 21, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
I forgot about Big Lens, it's pretty sweet. My favorite Big Lens trick is if I am looking for a more subtle effect than what f/3.5 gives me is to overlay an unaltered copy of a photo on top of a Big Lens version of the photo in Blender and adjust the transparency between the photos to taste.

Blender is a handy app that does Photoshop style layers between two images. A few art apps I like have the same (Sketchbook Pro, Brushes) but they usually only have a few layer styles where Blender has them all.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

And a Photosynth panorama:

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 21, 2011

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

haunted sleep posted:

I recommend you follow "laurenlemon". She's a professional that uses instagram only with her iPhone, none of the import from dSLR bullshit. Her instagram pictures are usually superb.
She even gave a talk about it: http://vimeo.com/31176993

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

rio posted:

I just added you, you have an absolute shitload of cat photos!

I'm on there as paulwilcock which is my name.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Having fun when making mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Near Mt. Tam by bjsmith1984, on Flickr
Instagram with the same user name as Flickr

brandino fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 26, 2011