Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

tonelok posted:

95%+ of what I used my cellphone camera for in the past was to take a picture of something I would look up later (check prices on Amazon, look something up on the internet, etc.).

With these newer phones, you can even take photos that OCR software can read in and spit out the text.

With my Android phone, I have a pair of apps that can do what you're looking for 100% automatically. One that recognizes bar codes with better than 99% reliability and then immediately looks up the UPC on Google Shopping and so on; and another app that is maybe only 75% reliable, but it does natural image processing, so when there's no bar code you can just point it at anything "standardized" (packaging, books, DVD covers, etc) and it will analyze the image and figure out what the product is. I found out to my disappointment that it mostly works on logos (you can't point it at a piece of mysterious fruit and have the phone tell you what it is, goddamnit), so it's kind of redundant in many cases, but still pretty cool.

Also I would recommend to anyone in the thread: before you take a picture with your phone's camera, either clean off the plastic cover on the camera's lens, or if the cover is part of the battery door as it is on my phone, take it off completely. The increase in clarity and contrast when you're not shooting through a scuffed-up, hand-oily piece of cheap styrene is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Dan Hollis posted:

That's an interesting shot you got there.

HTC Magic (there's an Android app similar to Hipstamatic). I think the little lines are supposed to be textured paper...not sure if I like the effect but eh. Fun program anyway.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Vendris posted:

Scratches on old paper more likely. Nice effect thou :)

Ah yeah, the big scratches are for sure...I meant the little dithering kind of effect that runs horizontally throughout the photo. It's easiest to see at the level of the winglet, and on the clouds behind the flap cowlings.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Augmented Dickey posted:

are there any apps for android that give you full manual control? Like manual shutter speed and ISO and focus, rather than dumb holga filters?

The camera app for CyanogenMod-6 looks pretty cool --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAc8aoB2eU

You *may* need the actual modded ROM to even run the app, though. Good thing I've got it