Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was gifted a ipod touch by the family, so I've started putting some effort into exploring what the tiny little camera has to offer.

I ended up buying "ProCamera" and it's a big improvement over the stock photo app. The post processing options don't compare to Lightroom by any meaure, but it does the important stuff like brightness and contrast. It has filters, but they don't seem to be customizable, and the vignetting it puts in can be a little ridiculous:

(though in this case it did help cover up some power lines)

I like the polaroid clone though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was loving around at work trying to avoid work, when an idea popped into my head to try a macro shot. Except I had no lens.. so after considering my options, I decided to see what I could do with a drop of water.

I got a single drop on the tip of my finger, and transferred it to the lens of my iPod. I didn't have anything handy so I used a quarter. :smith:

This is several times what the lens can do unaided.. it can't seem to focus on anything less than a foot away.

I also toyed around with the size of the water drop, but for the most part it seems like the bigger the drop you can get to stick, the better it works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raikiri posted:

Holding the lens with a pair of pliers (taped to stop it from falling out) then just cover the phones lens with it, I might try to make a better mount at some point but I was just trying it out today.

Try some blu-tack? Make a little donut of the stuff and wrap it around the edge of the lens, then stick it right on the phone.

If you need to hold the lens some distance, it gets a little harder. Maybe roll a sheet of paper to make a tube?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wanna try it too.. when I go home tonight, I'm gonna see if I have an old CD drive I could break open. :haw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

89 posted:

Granted, I don't know particularly what I'm doing, but I think I'm capable of a decent shot every once in a while.

Go for a level horizon once in a while, life isn't a Batman episode.

Your family snapshots are pretty good, maybe a tiny bit too much saturation but they have a nice vintage feel to them so I think it works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

89 posted:

Could you elaborate more? (Really, I have no guidance at all whatsoever on this stuff).

Tilting the camera so that the horizon isn't level (or verticals aren't straight up and down) tends to create a sense of drama or urgency in a scene. If it's an action shot and you want to convey speed, it is a useful technique to help make something look fast. It's generally referred to as a dutch tilt, and was used extensively in the original batman tv show (which is how most people recognize it). Forests, on the other hand, aren't very dramatic. Same goes for a parked car.. stationary scenes on a tilted camera make everything feel like it's about to tip over.

If you're encountering situations where something you take a picture of feels "boring" without doing a tilt, it's usually a problem with composition.. the scene isn't interesting, or the photo's subject is not obvious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I drove through a tiny corner of Arkansas a few months back, first time for me being that far south. I did route 59 from Missouri to Siloam Springs, and it was terrifying.

Late at night, was pissing rain, and apparently you Arkansas types get bored halfway through building roads because I drove several miles where rock walls were literally hanging over the road. Giant two ton slabs of rock were just chilling in the ditch, making me wonder if I was going to get crushed by another piece falling off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

That VW is retarded cool. Is it yours?

Too bad you removed everything I could use to identify what year it is. :smith:

I wanna guess '65?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

She started as a '72 which as a rule no-one likes, so result :)

drat, I was way off. I probably could have figured it out if I saw the interior. :v:

It's definitely a keeper, so take more pictures of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone needs to go look at those in original size to witness the full amazingness.

I thought it was nothing but metal railings alongside the highway until I zoomed in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thunderheads are loving awesome when you can get a line of sight on them.

Not sure what kind of conditions make them favorable.. storms are common, but having enough clear skies around to be able to see the full tower is pretty rare. Anecdotally, I think they are more common in the rocky mountain states.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Perhaps this just reveals how much of a clueless tool I am, but what possible use is a light behind the sensor? Or is it just an unfortunately named tech?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You appear to have an eyelash stuck to your camera. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr is a cesspool too, you know. Just in different ways.

The rule applies to the entire internet, really. If you focus on carving your own little niche that doesn't suck you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Considering the way Facebook has been trying to monetize everything since their IPO, a little bit of knee jerk is appropriate. The company is not doing anything responsibly at this point, any idea that could conceivably earn them a buck is getting implemented.

The quantity of bitching is pretty funny though, especially when the remedy (closing your account) is so simple. It's not like there's a shortage of image hosting sites out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You gotta be careful with holes like that. :ohdear:

I had a litter of baby gerbils literally hang themselves because they got their teeth stuck in holes on the top of the cage.. they would leap up, grab on, get their nose stuck and were unable to get free. It was like a meat locker of rodents when I walked in and discovered it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure that's not a tree, but rather an ancient life form tearing from its prison beneath the earth. Basically we're all hosed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dema posted:

Could have sworn it was. Must have been mistaken.

Never paid flickr a cent, and presto:

Invader Cam by mrxzzy, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems to be in suspiciously good condition, too.

Did you pick up the handset and check for a dialtone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I might suggest several rings of donuts too, but that looks like a company truck and perhaps you don't want to be uploading photos of hooning someone else's property.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reading psychotic signage is one of the perks of driving through rural areas. There's so much crazy out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a checkbox in the export dialog.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EXIF can be faked, obviously it's just an elaborate troll and not some marketdroid lying their rear end off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is the bench responsible for the serious injuries and deaths?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phones already have comically wide angles, the only reason to consider a lens attachment for a phone is for really big zooms or bokeh.

In fact a phone is a really good backup to a DSLR these days. Put your bazooka zoom lens on the big camera and pull out the phone when you need to go wide.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's pretty bonkers star detail for a cell phone.. especially in an area with that much light pollution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Halide is kind of the de facto standard, but Lightroom mobile does raw mode too. So that would be my first option even though it's probably not the best it's good enough to get a feel for what raws on a phone can do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think in terms of the actual camera hardware, they're all about the same. The arms race is in the computation now.

I don't see much in the way of real quality improvements either, but I'm horribly biased by spending a lot of time with a DSLR and being able to pixel peep blades of grass. For people that don't give a poo poo and only take pictures to flood their facebook feed the portrait and nightmode stuff is super awesome. Just don't zoom in on anything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you like the results and find it fun, go ahead. But clicking through that link every photo in there looks horrible so either people are bad at uploading or the lens quality is garbage. The images are all blurry, have nasty distortion, and the shittiest corner sharpness I've ever seen.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think that's technically hoarfrost, but either way yeah it's loving gorgeous when it happens.

I've only been able to see it once and it was a great day of walking the woods.