Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Taken with an old Nokia N73.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Instagram owns

:3:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Happyfacecrazy posted:

What apps are people using in conjunction with Instagram or what are some good photo editing apps in general?
Pixlr-o-matic, Pixlr Express and Perfectly Clear if you're using Android. For the iPhone, Snapseed is really good, and there are also tons of great camera apps like Hipstamatic.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ropes4u posted:

Snapseed is free in the App Store - i think its an excellent program, especially at that price.

Holy crap the amount of whining and bitching on the reviews is insane. People are asking for their $5 back, screaming that Google will ruin it, etc etc. It's a smartphone app that originally cost less than a burger!! Christ.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jackpot posted:

Could this be a way of preventing those dirty, cheating bastards from posting dSLR shots on instagram? Not that it actually prevents that, but it does at least slow you down by a few seconds. Otherwise I can't think of any good reason why they've done this at all; I just don't see the benefit to it.

Hell, nevermind my reasoning; it's not like they're concerned with quality, a cursory glance at the "popular" page cancels that out.

Actually I think they ARE concerned with quality. I think this change was meant to prevent people from posting poo poo they found on Google and having accounts for lolcats and memes and crap like that. Lots of people are using instagram to post their image collections, so the popular page is full of garbage like rage comics, "funny quotes" and photos of Justin Bieber. I've reported countless accounts over the past few months that had nothing but images saved from other places. Many even had disclaimers that said "I don't own these images". They apparently think that IG is Photobucket.

Honestly I don't mind the change at all, I think Instagram is supposed to be for sharing little snapshots and moments of your life, there are other places to post DSLR shots or whatever. The whole idea of it was to share photos taken with your phone. It's a shame that we can't edit our photos on other apps anymore but it's a small price to pay for better content and a cleaner popular page imho.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 12, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ropes4u posted:

The popular page is still filled with poo poo photos of Hollywood douche bags and Facebook slogans.
Well yeah, that's because the update didn't delete old posts, and it also hasn't gone through for Android devices. Hopefully they'll start banning people now too though honestly I'm not sure how much that will help. Part of the problem is that these lovely accounts have thousands of followers who like and comment on the images, and they end up on the popular page because of that. So unless IG starts deleting old content, it's all gonna keep showing up.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jackpot posted:

Honestly, I look at some of the lovely stuff that makes the popular page and it's just weird. poo poo photo of someone's foot with 4,000 likes, then I'll look at the profile and it's a 17 year old girl from San Jose with 30,000 followers; I look at that and I'm like "What the gently caress?" I guess when instagram was new it was easier to get popular like that, I really don't know. You're right though, if they want to fix it they'll either have to completely reset the system (which would be hilarious) or do some major work on whatever algorithm calculates popularity.
Unfortunately I understand why a 17 year old girl's foot would be on the popular page and why she would have 30,000 followers. I guess the pervs are moving from Flickr to IG.

That said, I think there is a way to cheat your follower count and it's messing with the popular page too. I'm not sure how it works but I've seen accounts with stupid high follower counts that made no sense, and when I checked their followers page there were a ton of ghost accounts -- nothing posted and the userpic was just something random taken from Google Images. I think when the Android version came out someone figured out a way to trick the system with some sort of bot or something.

Clown posted:

Is it not good that I have been using Instagram to share my other photography then? I guess I know it's not in the spirit of the app, but it's still a good platform to share with my friends who aren't nerdy enough to have a Flickr account.
People are actually pretty divided on that. I don't believe that Instagram is meant for that at all and a lot of people (myself included) feel that folks posting DSLR shots are missing the point. We want to see photos taken that moment, with your phone; part of the appeal is that we are all using the same equipment -- a cellphone -- and working with its limitations. I follow a bunch of professional photographers on IG, but they are all shooting with their iPhones. Seeing what a very skilled photographer can do with a cellphone camera is pretty awesome and inspiring.

People have been talking about this for as long as I can remember, too. I personally just don't follow people who post DSLR shots; if I want to see that sort of thing, there are countless places I can go. It's annoying to see them on the popular page though, because that's where I go to find cool iphoneography (or androidography now too). But it's not as annoying as this: http://instagram.com/funnypix

Ughhh.

Anyway

e: here's a very old thread about DSLRs on IG: https://getsatisfaction.com/instagram/topics/indicate_non_iphone_photos
Kevin Systrom is the founder of IG and he says

quote:

We're looking into this issue right now. To be clear, I'm not sure how we fall on non-iphone photos. I think gorgeous photography is gorgeous no matter what you use. But it seems disingenuous to simply post your portfolio in a stream. So I hear ya -- we're working on it.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 13, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

the posted:

There's no way these are all being shot with a cellphone...
I'm pretty sure that spacioverde shoots with an iPhone 4 and 13thwitness uses an iPhone as well. Dunno about the rest though, never heard of those guys.

Anyway, I follow a lot of folks whose photos are not very artsy but they make me smile. Lots of baby photos and cute dogs. Nothing you guys would be interested in.

Here's one anyway though http://instagram.com/huxxi :3:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Watermarked instagram pics? For fucks sake.
It's because people save and repost to their own IG streams constantly. It's yet another thing that started happening recently and is extremely annoying.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hypersleep posted:

poo poo like this is why I never could get into Instagram. I have a habit of snapping photos with my iPhone (now iPod) that I never shared till Instagram came around, because Instagram was basically "Twitter but for photos." Off-the-cuff, candid snaps from your phone.

But then it got flooded with people's DSLR shots, images from Reddit and 4chan, pictures of celebrities, and girls taking pictures of themselves in bathroom mirrors.

Not long after Instagram for Android was released, the problem got worse, and I deleted my account. I really dislike Facebook, too, so I don't regret leaving IG at all.

Flickr has much better users and photos in its mobile photography communities, generally. I hate to pin the blame on teenagers since it sounds so typical, but I really do get the impression that kids are to blame for IG being a cesspool. Flickr users tend to be older.
Yeah, the release for Android really opened the floodgates. There were always problems but it got so much worse in a matter of like, a couple of days after the Android app came out. Suddenly you just couldn't avoid the crap anymore. I very nearly left IG too. But I'm a shutterbug, always have been, and I love to share my photos, and Flickr drives me crazy with the "YOU'VE BEEN AWARDED A GLITTERY STICKER" bullshit that people do over there.

But hey, you have an iPhone, right? You might want to try Starmatic. It's just like Instagram, but the popular page is curated by the Starmatic team. There's a review here that lists all the features: http://www.iphoneography.com/journal/2012/12/13/starmatic-an-alternative-to-instagram.html

The only thing I dislike about it is the repost feature, which lets other people post your photos to their stream, though the image remains linked to your account so it's not that bad, I guess.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Instagram has posted a clarification on their blog already.

I am also enjoying Flickr a great deal now that they updated the app. I love instagram but I'm so unhappy with the spam and the lovely lolcat accounts that I'm not posting as much as I used to. They really need to do something about that.

E: honestly I hate ads and would gladly pay for an app to avoid them. I wish that was an option for instagram.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 19, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jackpot posted:

Maybe, but I have a hunch they're real. Now are they amateurs, and are they all spontaneous "hey look at this perfect scene I've randomly come upon" shots? Not a chance. But there's not much that I can see in there that can't be done with an iphone.
Yeah, the iPhone has a really amazing camera. Even the older iPhone 4 takes amazing pictures.

e: in the hands of someone ho knows how to take good pictures anyway

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

xzzy posted:

You gotta be careful with holes like that. :ohdear:

I had a litter of baby gerbils literally hang themselves because they got their teeth stuck in holes on the top of the cage.. they would leap up, grab on, get their nose stuck and were unable to get free. It was like a meat locker of rodents when I walked in and discovered it.

That's so sad! Poor lil guys...

To those using hipstamatic, what are your favorite lens/flash/film combinations?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Found this Hipstamatic guide that has I think almost every film, flash and lens available

http://content.photojojo.com/guides/ultimate-hipstamatic-guide/

Thought I'd share.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Just realized that I should have posted this here ages ago: http://lifeinlofi.com/photo-apps-on-sale/

This page lists iPhone photo apps that are currently on sale or free. It's updated at least daily and has saved me a bunch of money.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Try IFTTT! It works great and does exactly what you want. http://ifttt.com/

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

joelcamefalling posted:

This is amazing. Whoever invented it should be working for NASA.

Thanks!
Yeah IFTTT is great. There's a ton of really useful stuff there, including a recipe to post Instagram photos on Twitter.

jackpot, your photos are wondeful. iPhone 5?

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 10, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jackpot posted:

When I post to instagram I have a one-click option to post to twitter - I take it this is something different? I'll probably sign up for this anyway - the instagram-to-dropbox recipe is awesome.
Instagram disabled Twitter cards some time ago, so when you post your photos to Twitter via instagram, you just tweet a link to the photo page. This recipe actually puts the photo on your tweet by uploading the photo to twitpic. You can include a link to the Instagram page by editing the "action" part of the recipe where it says "what's happening" to this: {{Caption}} // {{Url}}

Or whatever you want.

IFTTT is useful for other stuff too, not just Instagram/photo stuff. It supports a ton of services including Pushover for iOS.

quote:

4s, and thanks!
That's really beautiful stuff, especially the baby.

The one thing I'm going to miss about the iPhone when I switch back to Android is the camera quality. I'm told that the iPhone has a wider aperture and that's why the camera is better. I'm switching to Android anyway because I just hate iOS but I might actually keep my iPhone 4 as a camera/image editor, especially since vscocam is not available for Android, and it's crazy awesome.

e: actually everyone on iOS should buy vscocam, it's the best money you'll ever spend.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 11, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Have you guys heard about Rando? It's hard to describe, here's a link http://www.ustwo.co.uk/blog/introducing-rando/

Basically it's Instagram without likes, comments, or the ability to follow someone. Photos are shared anonymously and you receive one photo for each photo you share. There's no spam of course and without likes, comments or follows, it's useless for camwhores so there are almost no pictures of girls making that awful duck face. I've been using it for weeks and I haven't seen a single penis, probably because their reporting system is really good and stuff gets removed very quickly after being flagged.

quote:

Thus, we made it so that any photo posted with Rando can only be sent to one other user. Think of a Rando as a gift. By uploading a photo with Rando you are essentially giving a piece of your world for someone else, and only them, to keep.

This way every single user gets their own private collection of pieces from other peoples lives. Every user gets their own little peep holes into parts of the world they may never experience.

It is hands down the coolest drat app ever and I'm totally addicted to it.

e: it's available for both Android and iOS

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 23, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

IMG_20130513_192121 by kawaiiest, on Flickr

Not exactly great photography but man, am I happy with my new phone. It takes beautiful pictures.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

GWBBQ posted:

This sounds really cool and I'm installing it now.

It is pretty awesome. Sometimes you get lame stuff like feet and ceiling fans but you'll get cool stuff too. There's a subreddit for sharing cool randos, it's kinda new but has a few nice posts already: http://www.reddit.com/r/randopics/

I did get a penis the other day (a very sad little penis) but it was the first one I saw in 500+ randos that I received. If you do get inappropriate stuff just double tap the image and flag it, they'll ban the user.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

the nicker posted:

Rando reminds me a lot of Photoswap, one of the first apps of its kind. It was really, really fun for the first few weeks and then became nothing but dicks. Seriously. 90% of the pictures I'd receive in turn were cocks.

I'm worried that this will happen to Rando as well, it's just so much fun and I'd hate to see it ruined by (literal and figurative) dicks.

e: it looks like my favorite photo editor from iOS, vscocam, is coming to Android! I'm very happy right now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

trip9 posted:

I don't understand what is so great about VSCOcam, I feel like Afterlight does everything VSCO can but with more control, plus does a bunch more, but VSCO has a huge following. Am I missing something?

I don't know what it is specifically about the vsco filters but they just make the photos look like... actual photographs. I'm not sure how to explain it. The colors and the grain seem to be just right, at least to my eyes, and they remind me of the photos I saw in magazines when I was young.

I love Afterlight too though, I wish they'd make an Android version. Android has nice photo editors but the best ones are still iOS only. I recently switched to Android and the photo apps are the only thing I miss from iOS.

e: in case you guys aren't familiar with vscocam: http://vsco.co/vscocam -- scroll down for samples.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 16, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So this just happened.

Flickr now giving 1 TERABYTE of storage for free. You don't have to be a premium user. This is for free accounts.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

trip9 posted:

Well poo poo, I just renewed my account too. I don't think there's much of a point to have pro now.

I think pro accounts still have stuff like stats and all that, but I'm not sure. I'm really happy since I love flickr but could never justify paying for it.

e:

quote:

Which Features are Still Limited to Flickr Pro?
The old Flickr Pro accounts included unlimited storage space, and that means it can exceed 1TB.

Flickr Pro users also get to view view counts and referrer statistics for their images. Lots of professionals often like this feature because it shows where a photo has been used or linked across the web.

Flickr Pro users can replace photos (without having to reupload), archive high-resolution original images and enjoy an ad-free experience.

Although storage and bandwidth are unlimited, they do come with a caveat. Flickr Pro users are limited to image sizes of 50MB and video sizes of 500MB. If you want to upgrade to the larger file sizes, you'll need to convert from a Flickr Pro to a free account.

Also,

quote:

Users that choose to go to a free account will receive a pro-rated refund for their Flickr Pro account.

A lot more info here: http://mashable.com/2013/05/20/flickr-pro-changes/

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 21, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm getting so tired of all the spam on Instagram. I've locked my account because I just couldn't deal with it. It's weird because I only have like 30 followers and my photos never make it to the popular page but I always get a ton of spam the moment I post a photo anyway. It's really annoying.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 12, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jackpot posted:

That's an awesome shot, nice DOF.

Do you get spam comments, or just spammers "liking" your stuff? I used to get comments, but I'd just delete and report them; I don't see them anymore, even on other people's photos. All I get now (and they account for about a quarter of my meager number of likes) are spammers "liking" my stuff or following me, and I can identify 90% of them just by their picture (hot girl) or username.

Oh thank you!

I get both kinds of spam. I've found that the bots are the ones liking my photos, and the spam is coming from actual users, usually children (literally children, like, 11 year olds) and teenagers, and it's usually weird self-promotion for accounts that shouldn't even be on Instagram in the first place, poo poo like "lolpix" "memes4eva" and "best fashion photos" and so on. There doesn't seem to be any money or anything like that involved, it's just kids trying to get more likes and followers to show off to their buddies or something.

Also, Instagram has been butchering my photos lately. Here's a photo, saved from my Instagram feed:

Look at the car. Look at it. The car and everything in the background, all jagged and weird. This is what the photo actually looks like:

20130606_105001_20130606110017791 by kawaiiest, on Flickr

This has been happening to every photo I upload. I don't know if Instagram just can't handle the resolution of my photos or what but Christ it's awful. I think maybe it's sharpening the photos to death? It's terrible, whatever it is.

I should probably just move to flickr anyway. Between the huge amount of storage and the communities, I see no reason to stick with Instagram anymore.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Oh my God that IS SO CUTE oh God :3: aaaaa

e: the dog, not you. I mean... not that you're ugly! I just... uh... words I don't know how to use them :saddowns:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Untitled by kawaiiest, on Flickr

Untitled by kawaiiest, on Flickr

e: also Woody is the cutest dog.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 13, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm ninagram on Instagram. My account is locked to avoid spam, feel free to send a follow request though.

Just one thing, I'm not a photographer and I know nothing about photography. I try to take nice pictures of things that are interesting or cute, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm nowhere near as good as you guys.

I don't take pictures of food or my own feet though. At least that's something I guess.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mr. Despair posted:

You're in the right forum then.

Haha. I actually like this forum, and I like a lot of the work that I see here. I think I lack the talent to take good pictures but I still enjoy lurking here anyway.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mr. Despair posted:

No, I was trying to imply that noone here cares if you're a pro photog or anything. Take pics, that's all that matters yo.

Well, this forum is a little intimidating though. I don't have any good equipment, and I don't know what I'm doing. Everyone here has fancy cameras and takes awesome photos.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

You already have a better attitude than a lot of people with Big Expensive Cameras and Adobe Suites and you probably know what you like about photos and you don't need really good equipment to take good ones either.

Yeah I've been told a lot that I don't need good equipment but all I have a cellphone, you know? I see all these beautiful shots taken with these fancy cameras and all I can think is, I can't take pictures like that. I don't have the talent for it and I don't have the fancy equipment either so I feel really out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love this forum -- it's very humbling and I learn a lot here, but I'm just not comfortable posting outside of this thread.

Anyway... I'm derailing so here's a dog picture from my Instagram

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Poor choice of words, I guess. I meant I'm not skilled.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

Yeah you can that's just your brain bein dumb.

I'm not being mean or calling you dumb I'm calling you smart but your brain is being dumb in this instance.

Okay. Uh. Thank you? :psyduck:

What can I do to take better pictures? I know a little composition because I've taken some art classes, but I'm not so great at it so I'm reading more about it. Other than that though, what else can I learn? Are there any sites that you can recommend?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

What I'm saying is, you're telling yourself you can't before you even try. There are some pretty good book recommendations in this forum, but taking lots of pictures is going to make you way better than reading lots of books, and that's how you find out what you like to take pictures of and the kinds of things you're drawn to anyways, which is what will make your pictures interesting.

I have "understanding exposure" which seems to be the most recommended book around here. Is it any good for someone like me who doesn't have any equipment besides a cellphone?

And I do take lots of pictures, no worries there. I probably take too many.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

doubt it

Understanding exposure was good, if I'm remembering correctly it does have some things in it that could help you with photography in general but I think it's definitely primarily geared towards learning how to juggle iso/aperture/shutter-speed - in any case it wouldn't hurt to read it so if you have the time you might as well.

Yeah a lot of it is about stuff that I don't have access to, but I'll give it a look anyway. Thanks.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ropes4u posted:

Get snapseed or one of the other million editors in the App Store for your phone.

Oh I already have it, I edit most of my photos with PicsPlay Pro though. I miss vscocam, I hope they hurry up with the Android version.

It's just that I feel like there's only so much you can do for a bad photo, filters etc can help but not fix a bad shot.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Percy Teatwillow posted:

I tend to use Adobe Lightroom to edit my pictures, but when I'm on the go I like to use Camera+ for iOS. I think it's .99¢, but dat Clarity filter. Give it a try.

I don't have iOS, I have a Galaxy S4. I did use Camera+ when I had an iPhone though and yeah it's amazing, though my favorite was always vscocam. I'm really happy it's coming out for Android. Wish the Afterlight devs would release an Android version too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yeah, vscocam is the best. I recently switched to Android and I'm starting to show withdrawal symptoms. They're working on the Android version but in the meantime I'm stuck with a bunch of crappy apps that can't achieve that film look that I love so much.

I've literally considered returning my S4 and switching back to the iPhone just because of this app.

e: and afterlight too. Sigh.