Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

iPhone 4 using Camera+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

psylent posted:

I got the iPhone 4S yesterday and am astounded by the picture quality that I'm getting from a drat cell phone. Holy poo poo!

What are some of the better camera apps? I've got Photosynth for panoramas and Photoshop Express. Not all that keen on Hipstamatic...

Snapseed, Photoforge2 and Filterstorm for general image editing and filters. Camera+ is worth picking up for the separate focus and exposure controls, as well as the Clarity filter.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm trying to get into Instagram but it's difficult to find people worth following. It seems to be overrun by teenage girls indulging their narcissism, and people posting images that either aren't theirs, or weren't taken with an iPhone.

I know Instagram doesn't really discourage people from posting photos not taken with an iPhone, but I think it would be a lot more interesting if Instagram was iPhone-only.

Instagram almost feels like Twitter, except with images instead of text. It just feels like way too much effort to sift through all of the cruft to find people posting interesting photos.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Shampoo posted:

The whole non-iphone images really bugs me too. I even see pictures I know they didn't take in the "popular" feed. I've found a few decent people to follow on Instagram, but they are mostly architecture photographers. I get the distinct impression I fall outside the targeted audience since I'm not 13 or a girl.

Yeah, I give up. It's not difficult to find better iPhone photos on Flickr, or even Tumblr. I've given it a good 2 weeks, and Instagram is a wasteland. Hell, the built-in filters are even pretty boring compared to something like Hipstamatic.

I'm genuinely baffled by the obsession.

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 17, 2011

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

FasterThanLight posted:

Only iphones take interesting photos :m10:

Well you'd think a social network built around using the iPhone to take photos would, you know, feature photos taken with iPhones. Instead, Instagram feels like someone took Flickr and 4chan, mashed them together, and made it available only to iPhone owners. I'm not looking down on other phones or cameras.

I'm pretty sure I'm simply not the demographic Instagram is aiming for, hence why I don't really care for it.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

iPhone 4. Yes I live in trashy town full of trashy people.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I don't know if it's been discussed already in this thread, but there's an iPhone app called 645 Pro that takes high quality photos compared to other camera apps. I've been using it for a week now and it does do a better job more often than not. The Night Mode feature makes taking low light photos much better, too.

Check out this review of it, with comparison images, here.

Here's a photo I snapped a while ago with my iPhone 4 using the stock Camera app and edited a bit with Snapseed:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I really like Autumn. iPhone 4.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

The new iPod touch can take decent photos.

MOD EDIT: disregard

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 11, 2012

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

It's because people save and repost to their own IG streams constantly. It's yet another thing that started happening recently and is extremely annoying.

poo poo like this is why I never could get into Instagram. I have a habit of snapping photos with my iPhone (now iPod) that I never shared till Instagram came around, because Instagram was basically "Twitter but for photos." Off-the-cuff, candid snaps from your phone.

But then it got flooded with people's DSLR shots, images from Reddit and 4chan, pictures of celebrities, and girls taking pictures of themselves in bathroom mirrors.

Not long after Instagram for Android was released, the problem got worse, and I deleted my account. I really dislike Facebook, too, so I don't regret leaving IG at all.

Flickr has much better users and photos in its mobile photography communities, generally. I hate to pin the blame on teenagers since it sounds so typical, but I really do get the impression that kids are to blame for IG being a cesspool. Flickr users tend to be older.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

Flickr is a cesspool too, you know. Just in different ways.

The rule applies to the entire internet, really. If you focus on carving your own little niche that doesn't suck you'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Oh, definitely. I just personally find it much more difficult to find interesting photos on IG than on Flickr.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Seconding the love for VSCO Cam. It's the only filter app I like, because it achieves what apps like Instagram fail at: making digital photos seem like they were shot with film. Many of the filters are understated, unlike awful filters offered by Instagram and its ilk.

Snapped this with my iPhone 4 back in October of last year.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, vscocam is the best. I recently switched to Android and I'm starting to show withdrawal symptoms. They're working on the Android version but in the meantime I'm stuck with a bunch of crappy apps that can't achieve that film look that I love so much.

I've literally considered returning my S4 and switching back to the iPhone just because of this app.

e: and afterlight too. Sigh.

I saw Afterlight in the App Store a while back but the preview images didn't sell me on it. Is it around the quality of VSCO Cam? It's only a buck I think, so maybe I'll just get it and see.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I don't see these all that often anymore.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

The whole selfie thing is a mystery to me. What makes these people think that anyone would want to see that many pictures of them? I doubt even this guy's mom would want that. Are people really THAT self-absorbed? Christ.

Yes, yes they really are that self absorbed. Most people under 30 display this behavior to some extent or other. You'll see it more often in girls then guys, but that's mostly because even a moderately attractive girl can accumulate a collection of guys who just can't wait to like her photos and tell her how beautiful she is. It's more difficult for Joe Nobody to accomplish this with girls unless he's really very attractive, but it does happen.

The comment about Flickr being better is true. The users do tend to be older, but even the young users tend to post actual photos as opposed to just using it for self worship. It's kind of baffling that people who take photos of things other than themselves even bother with Instagram at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

VSCO Cam.

I see a lot of tastefully filtered photos in this thread. Is this due to increased popularity of apps like VSCO Cam and Afterlight? Are people on Instagram eschewing heavy handed Instagram and Hipstamatic filters for apps that have a lighter touch? I'm just glad the fake-HDR trend seems to have died down...