Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bloody August posted:

Picked up an iPhone 3GS today and was messing around with The Best Camera (because omg I love Chase Jarvis :swoon:). I'm surprised at the quality you can get out of camera phones these days, there are some good shots in the this thread so far.

Not to get all Mannequin on you, but exactly what about this photo floats your boat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Iron Squid posted:

Just wanna say that Hipstamatic makes all my lovely iPhone shots look so much more interesting.

Judging by my Facebook news feed, everyone else feels that way too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You have to be super tactical with that kind of stuff. Time the shots to coincide with bursts of sound. If you've seen Enemy at the Gates, it's the same sort of idea.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

multigl posted:

Crazy monsoon sunset

God. drat.

The layered colors are insane how it goes from orange to blue back to orange so distinctly.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just got an iPhone 4 and one of those magnetic fisheye lenses. I also got the 2x telephoto but it turned out to be a waste of money since it has such a small image circle.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Some iPhone 4 photos with the fisheye attachment:

Verdict: Good, not great. About everything you could hope for at the price point. Image quality goes to poo poo at the edges, but that's usually par for the course with fisheyes of almost any quality.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
This one turned out well:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Keeping this thread alive a bit. Here's a photo taken with ToonCamera:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
iCameraHDR does a pretty good job. It's much slower than Pro HDR, but it's more accurate (less ghosting if any at all) and I feel it gives better results.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm feeling kind of dumb that I just discovered Hipstamatic's camera bag feature just now.

I'm really liking the Nashville pack.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

And a Photosynth panorama:

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 21, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just got the Foodie Hipstamatic pack and it's interesting. The lens gives a sort of tilt lens effect that's sharp in the center and soft at the edges and the film gives a cooler color palette and slightly more subdued tones. Overall, one of the more distinctive packs out there which is a good thing.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
More messing around with Hipstamatic.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

krackmonkey posted:

LOVE both of these so much! Cheers!!!

Thanks. Shooting black and white film made me think about line and form a lot more than when I was shooting only colour.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm impressed how the highlights came out in that grandma photo. Usually when there's a lot of light and shadow like that, camera phones tend to bail on the highlights in favour of shadow detail.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Eggplant posted:

What's New in Version 235
NEW FEATURES

Favorites - Save lens/flash/film combos for quick and easy access from the camera back

Thank loving god. I've been waiting for this feature forever.

EDIT: Argh, they forgot to include a way to edit the favourites.

HPL fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 25, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Prathm posted:

Has anyone tried the smugmug Camera Awesome-app?

How does it compare to Camera+?
It's pretty good considering it's free and it's a first release. I think it needs a little work interface-wise as it gets a little clunky to use, but that should get worked out in time given that the whole idea behind the app was sort of giving people what they want.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ropes4u posted:

So is IG toast now that Facebook has bought it?
I'd say it's definitely over for those "serious" Instagram users out there but after the furor dies down, I don't think anyone will care as long as they keep supporting it with new features and bug fixes.

The real photographers have been using Hipstamatic all this time anyway.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Waiting for the Metro....

Haha. Nice. It's like a perpetual commuter's nightmare of the train psyching you out. You're going to be on time.....Oh no you're not!

For the iPhone folks out there, how have you been finding 645 Pro so far? Have you been finding any noticeable difference in image quality between the JPG or TIFF files and the images from any other camera program?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Here's a comparison between 645 and standard camera output: https://www.box.com/s/0fcadd186ee04ec363b4

Nice. I was wondering if there was much difference between TIFF and JPEG. Looks like the TIFFs are crappy enough that it's largely the same as the JPEG version. Defnitely looks better than the stock camera app as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've been finding that one problem with 645 Pro is that it won't boost the ISO until the shutter speed reaches 1/15 even in bright light which is not a good thing when you're taking photos of moving things. Am I doing something wrong here?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Who or what is "rarus"?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've come to use 645 Pro as my main camera app. Unfortunately, I contacted the developer and there's no way to increase the minimum shutter speed before it kicks over to a higher ISO so it's stuck at 1/15 (1/20 for the 4S). I hope eventually Apple lets developers control such things because if they do, the iPhone camera would be incredible.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oddly, plane guy is the best photo.

When I was in Rome, the Circus Maximus was probably the biggest disappointment. It sounds awesome, but it's practically a plain field.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ropes4u posted:

Pantheon is a trip, Rome, Amalfi coast and Naples are some of my favorite places on earth.
Rome is awesome but after a while it gets to be a bit much with the sirens going 24/7 and the crowds and all that. I had a lot of fun in Florence.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hipstamatic's magazine, Snap is available for iPhones now. It's a pretty good read because they have lots of nice photos and they list what components the photographer used so you can get a good idea of what certain lenses, films or whatever can do.

One thing I really wish Hipstamatic would do is have an option to lock focus at infinity like it used to. There are so many times I want to take a photo and the camera either is still focusing or starts refocusing and I miss the shot.

HPL fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 2, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When I went to Europe, I took most of my people photos with my iPhone as opposed to my DSLR. It's so harmless-looking and non-intimidating.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Good lord, they've hosed up the Coliseum. I'm glad I saw it before they put all the scaffolding up. What are they doing to it?

I wish I had gone to Venice before everything became a giant billboard. When I went, everything was literally covered in ads.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Haha. Dog tadpole.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've been reading up about the Microsoft Lumia 950 and it looks like they've really let the old Nokia imaging division run wild with the camera on it. Things like an automatically white balancing RGB flash, adjustable flash compensation in post(yes!), solid noise reduction at high ISO (max 12800), hardware shutter button and a ton of other goodies that I haven't seen from many other companies. Here's a video with feature demos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pPMYFOy3No

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mung Dynasty posted:

I used to shoot all the time with my previous Lumia phones and they were my fav things ever and made for some of my best photos. Since then I've gone Android and then iPhone and don't shoot near as much with them. The Lumia cameras were just so on point. Looking forward to getting one of these 950s.

I used to roll with an N82, which had a xenon flash. I think Sony and Nokia were the only major companies to even try that. Nokia really poo poo the bed with Symbian in their later days before Microsoft took over, even though they always had decent cameras right to the end. It's good to see that Microsoft isn't abandoning that imaging expertise.

Overall, Microsoft is really killing it these days. They're starting to out-Apple Apple with stylish and innovative products while Apple treads water.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I ain't no art guy or nothin', but I dig that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bromplicated posted:

I recently got a tripod for my phone to record pool games. It got me thinking maybe I should get a lens upgrade for my phone as well (Galaxy S8). Looking at all the options online, all the lenses appear catered towards photography. Would it be worth it to get a lens for taking videos? What kind of lens would I use to record video in generally dark bars and pool halls, a macro or wide angle?

How dark is dark? If it's really dark, don't use an additional lens as you want as little light loss as possible.

Macro lens would be useless as you're recording a game, not taking still close-up shots.

Wide angle would be the one to pick, if you had to pick one. You're better off with a wide shot where there's less detail than a zoomed-in shot where you're missing action because it's out of the frame.

Don't worry about the photo vs video thing. At the price point and quality level of most add-on phone lenses, the quality is so far below regular photo and video lenses that it won't really matter as long as you don't buy total crap lenses. If anything, photography is more demanding than video since you're looking at a single static image where you can actually study it and see optical flaws versus a moving image. The key is to find a lens that will line up properly with the lens on your phone camera and not have excessive vignetting (dark drop-offs towards the edge of the frame).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bromplicated posted:

Thank you for the answers, guys. I do notice when I switch from Photo to video mode on my phone it crops the edges a bit and seems to zoom in, and how i have it framed initially isnt as wide an angle as i'd like. Also for such a high resolution, the video comes out a bit granier than I'd expect it to. Usually in these bars, I have to have it set up somewhere pretty close to the pool table, so its hard to set the camera far back enough to get the whole thing in frame, hence my interest in a wider lens. But if you guys say it isnt worth it, id rather save my money.

You could always try a cheap add-on lens to see if it's what you're looking for first. The video quality won't be the greatest in the world, but at least you can get started and it'll be a step towards figuring out what you ultimately want.

What you may want to look in to is getting an action camera like a GoPro and mounting it on the lights above the pool table. That way you would get zero obstruction from other objects or people around the table. The key is figuring out what kind of field of view you'll need, which is why dinking around with the cell phone would be good for experimentation.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
This poo poo is dope:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-night-sight-google-pixel-3-google-pixel-2-google-pixel/

My Pixel 2 XL kicks the crap out of my old Canon 30D DLSR at high ISO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
To be fair, cell phone low lights results are usually at ISO800-3200 with slower shutter speeds like 1/5 or something similar. I can take similar quality photos with my Sony A7S at ISO 32000 at 1/200 or whatever.

I would never use night mode on the Pixel for action photos, but for static scenery, given what it is, it's great.