Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My guitarist has an Ampeg Reverberocket head and I wanna know if the Ampeg AFP-2 footswitch will operate the reverb and channel changes independently. We tried a generic stereo footswitch and when we tried to turn on the reverb, it would turn it and the overdriven channel on, but would not activate the reverb independently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is it worth the money to replace the tuners on a MIM strat with some grover locking tuners? Also, is it just me, or are the stock saddles on it loving lovely?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

cat doter posted:

Is it worth the money to replace the tuners on a MIM strat with some grover locking tuners? Also, is it just me, or are the stock saddles on it loving lovely?

Absolutely. Worst comes to worst, you have a great set of tuners that you can put into your new guitar if you want. The saddles are an easy replacement too (you can get the Graphtech string saver ones for like 12 dollars).

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I'll have a look at it then. Has anyone found that a nice set of saddles can reduce fretbuzz? That's something I'm curious about. Oh, another thing, what sort of material should the saddles be? My guy at my local store swears by graphite. Must be because it's a really smooth material or something.

I'm gonna abuse the poo poo out of this thread.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I thought that fret buzz was the fault of action being too low or having too little relief in the neck or not fretting hard enough?

Disclaimer: I am a guitar tech prole.

Edit: Well, wikipedia vindicated me :3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fret_buzz

The bridge will help to raise the action, and I suppose if the bridge is made of a softer metal it would wear down over time, and graphite is pretty dense, so your dude might be on to something. I'd like to take this time to reitterate my previous disclaimer.

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 19, 2009

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

scuz posted:

I thought that fret buzz was the fault of action being too low or having too little relief in the neck or not fretting hard enough?

Disclaimer: I am a guitar tech prole.

Fret buzz is lots of stuff, mostly related to string tension but I'm curious if the strings basically sitting in a really 'comfortable' position would reduce things like that. I know saddles only really help with the feel and sustain of the guitar by a minor amount but every little bit helps.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

cat doter posted:

Fret buzz is lots of stuff, mostly related to string tension but I'm curious if the strings basically sitting in a really 'comfortable' position would reduce things like that. I know saddles only really help with the feel and sustain of the guitar by a minor amount but every little bit helps.
Fret buzz happens at the frets and you have to change your action or get your frets redone to change that. If it's at the bridge, try wiggling the string around a little bit in the saddle and giving it a clean next time you restring. Adjusting the action changes the angle pretty minutely and affects how the whole thing plays, plus you'll have to reintonate it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Kramden posted:

Perhaps I should explain myself better -

I want a box where I can dial in all different kinds of wave forms at various frequencies, have white noise, and filters and modulators, and lots of cool stuff, all controllable at my finger tips.

So, I guess it is less like a noise box, and more like a sound box. For like drones and abrasive sounds and stuff like that.

I don't know how better to describe it, but if you have used Super Collider, you should know what I mean.

Check out the MoogerFoogers; an MF-107 FreqBox + one or more of the MF filter boxes sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.

Alternatively, roll your own. It is pretty easy to build some simple oscillator + filter circuits, then you can put them in an enclosure full of light sensors and piezo elements and make some freaky and unique poo poo pretty inexpensively. Nicolas Collins' book "Handmade Electronic Music" is an excellent starting point for this kind of thing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm wondering about the tone knobs on my MIM Stratocaster. As I understand they control the middle and neck pick-ups but they seem to only have basically two settings, on and off. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it just my strat that's bummed?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
What is the best way to transition from Guitar Hero to electric guitar? I can get expert on Dragonforce but when I bought my First Act electric guitar from Target (only $85!) it doesn't sound anything like Dragonforce. Also, is there a good guide to transcribe the different colored buttons from Guitar Hero to guitar tabs??

Thanks.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

gotly posted:

What is the best way to transition from Guitar Hero to electric guitar? I can get expert on Dragonforce but when I bought my First Act electric guitar from Target (only $85!) it doesn't sound anything like Dragonforce. Also, is there a good guide to transcribe the different colored buttons from Guitar Hero to guitar tabs??

Thanks.

The first thing to do is stop posting. Seriously, without the proper fundamentals, every time you click on "Post" or "Reply", you are risking a tendon injury which could prevent you from EVER sounding like Dragonforce.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

h_double posted:

Check out the MoogerFoogers; an MF-107 FreqBox + one or more of the MF filter boxes sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.

Alternatively, roll your own. It is pretty easy to build some simple oscillator + filter circuits, then you can put them in an enclosure full of light sensors and piezo elements and make some freaky and unique poo poo pretty inexpensively. Nicolas Collins' book "Handmade Electronic Music" is an excellent starting point for this kind of thing.

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/

This website will point you in the right direction.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

gotly posted:

Thanks.

In case you're NOT joking: spend about 10 minutes in the Beginning Guitar thread, then 4 hours with your guitar every day thereafter.

Drittes Auge
Feb 9, 2005
What would be the best way to go about finding a band as a nub? I've been working on my keyboard improv and feel like I could hold my own in a jam session, but I'm pretty intimidated and clueless when it actually comes to playing with people because I've never done it before.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Drittes Auge posted:

What would be the best way to go about finding a band as a nub? I've been working on my keyboard improv and feel like I could hold my own in a jam session, but I'm pretty intimidated and clueless when it actually comes to playing with people because I've never done it before.

Slap some internet radio on random and play along helps with practicing improv. As for finding people, you're stuck with Craigslist or Backpages. It's way better to just have friends who play music but I can't help with the whole making friends thing.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

breaks posted:

He wants a modular synth in one form or another. In software form there are things like Reaktor (complicated, flexible) or Blok (simple, relatively inflexible). In hardware form there are many options but realistically for a decent setup you are looking at spending a couple grand.
You don't have to spend so much as all that. As mentioned above, getting a couple Moogerfoogers will get you a lot of interesting possibilities, or for the price of a single one you could get a Microkorg, which can process external sounds in synth mode and in vocoder mode. It's not the absolute greatest tone in the world, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of it and lets you have up to 128 preset wild and crazy sounds if you want.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Ireneo Funes posted:

I have two questions:

1. What do you guys with decent-sized pedal boards use to power all of your gear? I've been looking at the cheaper power supplies like the 1-Spot and Godlyke (what an awful name) but all the reviews I've read complain that they give off a ridiculous humming sound.

The 1 Spot will buzz like a mf'ing devil if you hook up more than one inverse polarity pedal to it, though, because it's got a single groundloop is the way I understand it. Also you'll get a whine if you have too much current being drawn; most digital pedals take a few hundred mA while a lot of overdrives take as low as 10 mA. If you just want a bunch of dirt pedals hooked up to it, 1 should be fine, but if you're gonna have a couple Moogerfoogers (or other inverse polarity pedals) or a bunch of digital stuff you could just get two 1 Spots. Or three or four, depending on your needs. :)

(also a great feature of the one spot is that you only need a physical adapter to have it work basically anywhere in the world, no need for a voltage convertor or anything)

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Just went to check out some fuzz pedals (specifically the EHX Big Muff and Visual Audio Mr Fuzz) to work with my new distortion pedal, but alas, they didn't do what I'm after.

Basically I'm going for a rather cold, raw tone, reminiscent of the guitars on Mayhem's 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' album - feral black metal, ultimately. I can get there, but only with a high gain and all the mids dropped out, the sweep focused around the bottom end. The issue here, is the loss of single note clarity. It's all white noise. Sounds fine for frenzied powerchord riffing, but any subtle single semitone/tone changes, and it's lost in the noise. The solution? Drop back the gain - lots.

But the issue here is, it also kills off the sound that is desired, taking me back to square one. I'm looking for something to bring back the dirt, whilst retaining the clarity, if that isn't too much of a contradition. A fuzz pedal seemed to be the go, but seems not. Just muddied everything up and sounded as though the speaker was being overloaded with low end shite. Apparently a suppressor of some description may be of assistance here - I'm also tempted to go the EQ route; to either wipe out the most prominent frequencies in the gain noise, or the mud with the distortion & fuzz pedals combined.

If any of this makes sense - is anyone able to make an alternative recommendation for something that may suit?

Cheers :)

... also, got a lovely Behringer compression rackmount unit to muck around with for my bass guitar. Generally better to put this sort of thing between the guitar and amp, or in the effects loop of the amplifier? I'm just somewhat concerned about putting it in the effects loop considering the signal strength seems to be dictated by the volume control - I really don't want to have to change the settings of the compressor with each change of the amplifier volume. Nor do I want to worry about overloading the thing after turning the amp up a bit. Probably obvious after what I've just said, but again, advice would be appreciated :)

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Lately I've been using my bassist's (HAZ reissue) Mu-Tron III+ pedal and it sounds great, but it's a power hog. It takes two 9v batteries, but doesn't run at 18v, and the power supply just says "25v DC Max" with no indication of polarity or minimum voltage. Will any supply work for this?

The Stygian posted:

If any of this makes sense - is anyone able to make an alternative recommendation for something that may suit?

Cheers :)

... also, got a lovely Behringer compression rackmount unit to muck around with for my bass guitar. Generally better to put this sort of thing between the guitar and amp, or in the effects loop of the amplifier?

Try changing the EQ on your amp to bring out the treble. This will sound strange when you play alone, but you'll be heard in a group. The EQ on your amp doesn't work the way the EQ on your stereo does, just by boosting the apparent loudness of certain frequencies. When you're dealing with an amp, the presence of the bass affects how the other frequencies respond. Too much bass and mids cause the tone to flat and thick, especially with humbuckers. As any sound guy will warn you, adding bass will also make your higher frequencies really muddy, and those higher frequencies are where you need clarity the most.

Your compressor should go at the end of the chain, last thing before the amp.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 21, 2009

Kramden
Aug 11, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Where can I get some cheap 9V AC adapters that will work with pedals? I am tired of using up batteries. Thank you.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

CalvinDooglas posted:

Try changing the EQ on your amp to bring out the treble.

This is basically the whole raw BM sound, why weren't you doing this in the first place?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

This is basically the whole raw BM sound, why weren't you doing this in the first place?

after reading the post again I should have added:

Recreating any tone you hear on a professionally recorded studio album is a lost cause. It's not gonna happen.

Let the bass play the bass, the guitar's best tones are in the alto/soprano range. I've found that EQing with low bass, low mids, and high treble (at least on my amp) brings out the overtones of the lower strings, which actually gives a deeper impression of bass than adding real bass to the signal.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
He wants to sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqkdPMoQh0

The whole aesthetic is cranking the treble and dropping the bassist from the mix

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

The 1 Spot will buzz like a mf'ing devil if you hook up more than one inverse polarity pedal to it, though, because it's got a single groundloop is the way I understand it. Also you'll get a whine if you have too much current being drawn; most digital pedals take a few hundred mA while a lot of overdrives take as low as 10 mA. If you just want a bunch of dirt pedals hooked up to it, 1 should be fine, but if you're gonna have a couple Moogerfoogers (or other inverse polarity pedals) or a bunch of digital stuff you could just get two 1 Spots. Or three or four, depending on your needs. :)

I think I should be fine seeing as how all I really use is overdrives/tuner/distortion/reverbs. I wish I had the money for a couple of Moogerfoogers though... :(

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Which tremolo pedal is better, the Boss TR-2, or the Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar?

I have a few Boss pedals, and like them but since those are basically the same price, it's harder to make a decision. I figure you can't go too wrong with a pedal like this, but if people have experience with either, it would be nice to hear.

I had a Vox 15R with the tremolo, but that amp died on me, and I would like a way to get the tremolo regardless of which amp I use.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Kramden posted:

Where can I get some cheap 9V AC adapters that will work with pedals? I am tired of using up batteries. Thank you.

1 spot 1 spot 1 spot 1 spot

Ireneo Funes posted:

I think I should be fine seeing as how all I really use is overdrives/tuner/distortion/reverbs. I wish I had the money for a couple of Moogerfoogers though... :(

Yeah, a single one should do ya unless y're running like 5 digital reverbs on top of a bunch of dirt. Also yes on Moogerfoogers, I saved up over a month apiece for the ring mod and filter and at least three months for the delay :3: (also if anybody wants to spend too much money on an incredible mono trem pedal get the Moog ring mod, best and most varied trem i've ever heard)

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Will the 9v compartment adapter on the 1Spot work with the HAZ MuTron III+? it takes two 9v batteries and it loses gain well before the batteries are totally worn.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Also yes on Moogerfoogers, I saved up over a month apiece for the ring mod and filter and at least three months for the delay :3: (also if anybody wants to spend too much money on an incredible mono trem pedal get the Moog ring mod, best and most varied trem i've ever heard)

Moogerfoogers are so drat cool, but I can't seem to justify buying one for myself. I play blues rock and alt. country stuff most of the time, but every once in a while I end up playing shoegazy stuff with a friend's band. I can't help but think how awesome a few 'Foogers would sound with their sound.

Kramden
Aug 11, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
My guitar (and most guitars for that matter) sound like garden hoses during solos. How can I make it sound like a fire hose?

Like, when the solo comes in, I just want to BLAST with like feedback and noise and power. Like Albert Ayler on the saxophone.

What effects can I get so that my guitar will just BLAST sound? Thank you.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Kramden posted:

My guitar (and most guitars for that matter) sound like garden hoses during solos. How can I make it sound like a fire hose?

Like, when the solo comes in, I just want to BLAST with like feedback and noise and power. Like Albert Ayler on the saxophone.

That kind of playing takes a lot of technical confidence. Turn up your overdrive pedal or channel and practice playing at different dynamic levels. Written music uses at least 6 distinct dynamics - pp pianissimo, p piano, mp mezzo piano, mf mezzo forte, f forte, ff fortissimo. Those mean very quiet, quiet, a little quiet, a little loud, loud, very loud. You should be able to play them all distinctly, and the "burst" you're looking for will use f and ff.

tensionhead
Mar 1, 2008
I've got a Boss RE-20 and I want to use an expression pedal with it, the manual says to use a Roland EV-5, do I have to use that or can I use any expression pedal?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Just dont tell boss that you didn't use theirs; they're real picky about using only Roland things and would probably say that voids yr warranty. Also, get a Moog EP-1 or the like with an extra pot on the side or somewhere so you can set the sweep range of the exp pedal.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Kramden posted:

How about a sound like on "Blue Orchid" by the White Stripes? That's a POG plus a Big Muff.

Kramden
Aug 11, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

dancehall posted:

How about a sound like on "Blue Orchid" by the White Stripes? That's a POG plus a Big Muff.
GREAT suggestion man! I put that into my amp modeler software thing and POW it sounded awesome. I still wanna tweak it and stuff, but this is a keeper!

Thanks SO MUCH!

Here is a little improvisation I just whipped up two minutes ago!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

APimpNamedSlickback
Aug 26, 2007
sounds pretty cool man. what amp modeler/hardware do you use?

i stopped playing electric guitar because i was concerned about my hearing. but i definitely want to record guitar into say, apple logic.

Kramden
Aug 11, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

APimpNamedSlickback posted:

sounds pretty cool man. what amp modeler/hardware do you use?

i stopped playing electric guitar because i was concerned about my hearing. but i definitely want to record guitar into say, apple logic.
Thanks! I just downloaded a demo version of this modeler called "Guitar Rig 4" the other day. I really really like it, and am going to buy it as soon as I can. It is cool - it operates as a standalone or a plugin into a sequencer. I am running my guitar into an MBox2 and recording in Pro Tools LE.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What should a music theory beginner learn and know by heart to have a good solid foundation?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Crankep posted:

What should a music theory beginner learn and know by heart to have a good solid foundation?

All of it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

All of it.

Ok, I'll crack on then. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Crankep posted:

Really understand how chords and scales relate to one another, how chords are built out of scale tones. Understand how a formula like "I ii iii IV V vi viidim" works, how it relates to modes (Ionian, Dorian, etc.), and why the keys of C major and A minor both share the same notes. Understand how the circle of fifths works and how key signatures are constructed.

Also do some ear training and play a lot of scales on your instrument of choice.