Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

I've widened nuts before using string ends and strings wrapped in sandpaper but better tool would make this much easier and give nicer results. I'll let you know how I get on, hopefully the StewMac stuff is rebranded and not exclusive to his site

Go by all the welding stuff and get a set of torch tip cleaners. They are round gauged files that work great as a cheap set of nut files for a one off project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Ok dumb reverb tank replacement question. Are tank reverbs universally able to be swapped out just by disconnecting the plugs and putting in the new tank, or are there some reverb tanks that you need to solder in? The one on my Blues Jr. just unplugs and I'm wondering if that is the industry standard.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
You're not really likely to find anything at a hardware store that'd be suitable for nut files, assuming you want to do a good job. The reason they're expensive is because they're precision tools; stewmac is a ripoff though. Look for a set of Ibanez files, I picked mine up for ~$75 hardly touched from another tech who preferred his other set. Ask the techs at local guitar shops and see if they have any, barring that google around, they tend to go for under $100 new and they're great files to use.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Thumposaurus posted:

Go by all the welding stuff and get a set of torch tip cleaners. They are round gauged files that work great as a cheap set of nut files for a one off project.

http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--Guitar-Nut-Files--PROD428
http://cgi.ebay.com/Norman-Guitar-N...=item439bc5e594

Found those online. The fact that the files can be bought from other sites suggests they are probably generic and could be found in a hardware store.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

butros posted:

Ok dumb reverb tank replacement question. Are tank reverbs universally able to be swapped out just by disconnecting the plugs and putting in the new tank, or are there some reverb tanks that you need to solder in? The one on my Blues Jr. just unplugs and I'm wondering if that is the industry standard.
As long as it's the same kind of plug you should have no problem. I have a Mesa with a plug in reverb tank. It uses an RCA style plug. The Roland I'm using to practice, though, has a tiny reverb tank (screwed to the underside of the amp circuitry why?) and the wires go straight into the amplifier, so I can't tell if it plugs or not.

Either way, you know yours plugs and you shouldn't have any trouble finding parts compatible with a current, popular Fender amp. Even if you get a lovely tank, it's just a box with a spring inside, it won't damage your amp.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
Can someone tell me what kind of guitar Duane Denison played for the Jesus Lizard's reunion tour? I've seen the body shape on many old-fashioned hollow-body guitars (same thing with the bridge) but this is a smaller, solid one. Also the middle of the headstock is cut out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It looks like an Electrical Guitar Company but with a wood fretboard. The body is definitely two pieces that fit around a metal neck, you can see the seam running round the side

edit yep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDoTiK8OKA0

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
I suppose this is the best place to ask this, since the mods aren't around too too much. A few things I've come across in the last month or so made me want to post a PYF inspiration type deal, but just songs. And i realize that would seem to fit in PYF, but ideally it'd just be something from musician to musician of what type thing you listen to when you're in a rut or what song you just heard that broadened your horizons or what'd you just hear that you think is a cool idea you want to emulate or think other people could use to hear. Any interest anyone?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

mezzir posted:

I suppose this is the best place to ask this, since the mods aren't around too too much. A few things I've come across in the last month or so made me want to post a PYF inspiration type deal, but just songs. And i realize that would seem to fit in PYF, but ideally it'd just be something from musician to musician of what type thing you listen to when you're in a rut or what song you just heard that broadened your horizons or what'd you just hear that you think is a cool idea you want to emulate or think other people could use to hear. Any interest anyone?

I'd love a thread like that! My answer would be Tera Melos' eponymous album.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

What is appropriate to pay for a crappy 4 track recording device that I can line out to my computer? Any reliable brands? I've got like $50 or less to spare for it, but I and the band need a way to record casually.

I would use Garage Band, but I get terrible latency, and my speakers are broken so I can only hear system sound with a 2 second delay through AirFoil.

mezzir posted:

And i realize that would seem to fit in PYF, but ideally it'd just be something from musician to musician of what type thing you listen to when you're in a rut or what song you just heard that broadened your horizons or what'd you just hear that you think is a cool idea you want to emulate or think other people could use to hear. Any interest anyone?
yeah, that'd be cool. Pat Metheny's album "Secret Story" and Coltrane's song "Naima" definitely opened my ears to whole new way of understanding harmony.

JumboJetDreams
Jun 3, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

My answer would be Tera Melos' eponymous album.

We should be friends :hfive:

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

emonkey posted:

I am wondering if I should get pro tools or cubase. I have a copy of cubase essential 4, and am ready to move beyond that (I want a bigger sound library and time warp features).

Here are some things that might steer me one way or the other:

1. I already use the m-audio fast track pro so hardware is not an issue for pro tools.
2. I want time warp features to correct minor timing issues.
3. I would like to replace an amp/fx live with a laptop into a PA one day.
4. 99% of my recording usage is for guitars.
5. 99% of my MIDI use is for drum tracks only. I have a MIDI drum kit I want to record with, but I also need to edit midi easily for times I don't have it setup or cannot play what I am writing.
6. My minimal knowledge of cubase has caused interest in other bands to help them record.
7. Eventually I want to be able to have knowledge of how to mix things in a professional modern way, which one has a better mixer?

How do the quality of the built-in plugins compare?

I haven't really used Cubase too much, but I would say that if you're more concerned with the immediate future of recording your own music, go with Pro Tools. It's got a simple, clean interface and a smaller learning curve IMO. If you're more interested in the long term of becoming an accomplished mixing engineer, I would go with Cubase. It's got more features which sort of equates to a longer learning curve.

I don't know enough about the plugs to really say, but I would guess they are of comparable quality.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Okay so I just received a bunch of parts to mod the DS-1 for bass and had a question or two. I'm swapping out two diodes and I'm wondering if it matters which way they're soldered to the board? The way I understand diodes is that current goes in one way and out another and can't be reversed. How do I determine which way the stuff is supposed to go? :ohdear:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you're swapping both diodes then they go back to back, so each one will point in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter which is which as long as they are facing different directions.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

the wizards beard posted:

If you're swapping both diodes then they go back to back, so each one will point in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter which is which as long as they are facing different directions.
Phew, thanks man. I'm posting pics of the mod later in the bass thread (or maybe start a new thread, I dunno).

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Say I was interesting in sampling sounds from around me, like drumming on my keyboard (computer keyboard, not midi keyboard). Its got a kinda thin snare like sound that I always strangely liked, and I was just drumming along to a song thinking that would sound kinda cool, and I realized I've been interested in recording all sorts of random sounds before to mess around with and whatnot, what kind of mic would I want for this sort of thing?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

CalvinDooglas posted:

What is appropriate to pay for a crappy 4 track recording device that I can line out to my computer? Any reliable brands? I've got like $50 or less to spare for it, but I and the band need a way to record casually.

You could almost certainly find a used Tascam 424 (or other cassette Portastudio) in that price range; as long as the transport works okay those things are awesome.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've been jamming with a bassist for a little while now, and I really think we could use some sort of metronome or click track to help us keep in time. I have a simple mixer/amp setup to mic vocals, and I was thinking I could just plug my laptop into one of the channels and have it play something. Do you guys have any recommendations for a decent/simple audio program to do this? It doesn't have to be too fancy or sound like a real drumset or anything, but it would have to be able to be set to different tempos and hopefully sound a little more exciting than a metronome.

May 3, 2009
I asked this question at the music store and they did not know the answer or I ended up confusing them. So I think I will ask here.

Any one here can read sheet music and play guitar?

My question deals with rhythm and sheet music.
My brother is playing the trumpet as lead, and I am using my guitar as the rhythm
http://www.8notes.com/scores/512.asp
I have the sheet music for a song. Unlike the one I am showing as an example, it has the chords above the notes.

It shows the rhythm for the lead, yet I was wondering as the rhythm section(as in not lead) do I play the beats as shown in the notes for lead in the sheet music or is the rhythm unwritten? As in when it says moderately fast, I set the metronome to that and keep beat for everyone else that way?

Which is correct?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

1830 posted:

It shows the rhythm for the lead, yet I was wondering as the rhythm section(as in not lead) do I play the beats as shown in the notes for lead in the sheet music or is the rhythm unwritten? As in when it says moderately fast, I set the metronome to that and keep beat for everyone else that way?

Which is correct?
Thy rhythm part is notated, but for piano. Your best option is to transpose that to guitar voicings. It's entireley root position block chords going 1-5 in the bass. You can use barre chords for the whole thing and won't have to alter the voicings from what's written there, except for putting them into guitar range.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

I've been jamming with a bassist for a little while now, and I really think we could use some sort of metronome or click track to help us keep in time. I have a simple mixer/amp setup to mic vocals, and I was thinking I could just plug my laptop into one of the channels and have it play something. Do you guys have any recommendations for a decent/simple audio program to do this? It doesn't have to be too fancy or sound like a real drumset or anything, but it would have to be able to be set to different tempos and hopefully sound a little more exciting than a metronome.
Plug the Korg MA-30 into the tape-in on the mixer using a mono 1/8"-to-RCA and you're golden.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

scuz posted:

Plug the Korg MA-30 into the tape-in on the mixer using a mono 1/8"-to-RCA and you're golden.

I was hoping to do this in software (for free). There has got to be some freeware drum machine that isn't completely lovely. I used to use something called hammerhead (or close to that) that worked fine, but I figured in the 3 or 4 year interim something else better has to have come out.

Edit: Ended up downloading Hammerhead Rhythm Machine or whatever, and it's still acceptable.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 6, 2009

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Okay, so I'm looking to replace the pickups on my Agile AL-3100 by Christmas. I've been looking at the different GFS pickups and am having a hard time choosing exactly what pair or combination I want. If it helps you give me some suggestions, I normally play alt-country/blues-rock stuff, but dabble in shoegazey stuff as well (weird combo, I know).

Also, has anyone played the Fender-style split-coil hums from GFS? I can't seem to find any demos of them on Youtube.

Cool Cool Cool
Apr 17, 2008

by T. Finn
I found an old speaker in my attic; RTR Series III; my parents said they were top notch speakers back in the day. My question is, would it be possible to hook an amp head to it? It has an old piece of paper stapled to the back that recommends 8 gauge wire input. I've never used an amp head before, but I have been wanting to get something new and if it can work with an amp head that might influence my decision.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cool Cool Cool posted:

I found an old speaker in my attic; RTR Series III; my parents said they were top notch speakers back in the day. My question is, would it be possible to hook an amp head to it? It has an old piece of paper stapled to the back that recommends 8 gauge wire input. I've never used an amp head before, but I have been wanting to get something new and if it can work with an amp head that might influence my decision.
Haha, I have those speakers! They're pretty awesome.

Short answer: those types of drivers are not meant for the loud volumes or amounts of power that amplifiers put out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, I'm not sure if home entertainment speakers are built to the same specs as instrument-amp speakers.

for a porkchop
Jan 10, 2007
I recently got a Yamaha Stagepas 500, and there's a warning on all the speaker connections to use '500s only.' They look like regular 1/4 inch cables, but I've found I often wish they were longer. What is 500 referring to? Is the 's' a plural or some other identifier?

My Precious Violin Case
Aug 1, 2004

Is it gay that I want to see it?
I'm buying a used Orange Tiny Terror head tomorrow but I've always played combos so I don't know what my options are for a cab. I'd preferably like to spend less on the cab than I will on the amp ($450 CAD) and I don't want anything bigger than a 1x12 or 2x12. Are there any cheap "go to" cabs? I was going to get an Avatar cab but the only place that sells them has stopped carrying them and instead if promoting some Canadian brand which is out of my price range.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

My Precious Violin Case posted:

I'm buying a used Orange Tiny Terror head tomorrow but I've always played combos so I don't know what my options are for a cab. I'd preferably like to spend less on the cab than I will on the amp ($450 CAD) and I don't want anything bigger than a 1x12 or 2x12. Are there any cheap "go to" cabs? I was going to get an Avatar cab but the only place that sells them has stopped carrying them and instead if promoting some Canadian brand which is out of my price range.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com should do you just fine. If their guitar cabs are anything like their bass cabs you should be good to go.

My Precious Violin Case
Aug 1, 2004

Is it gay that I want to see it?

scuz posted:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com should do you just fine. If their guitar cabs are anything like their bass cabs you should be good to go.

I'd prefer to buy Canadian to avoid duties and taxes (if I buy out of province). After all is said and done a 112 from Avatar will cost me $369 + duties which is pretty steep. Am I being optimistic thinking there are cheaper options that are still good?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

My Precious Violin Case posted:

I'd prefer to buy Canadian to avoid duties and taxes (if I buy out of province). After all is said and done a 112 from Avatar will cost me $369 + duties which is pretty steep. Am I being optimistic thinking there are cheaper options that are still good?
Oof that sucks. Avatar is pretty much across-the-board cheaper than any other cab company while maintaining quality. Your only option might be used stuff :( Have you checked with that guy that used to sell the Avatars to see if he has any backstock?

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Does anyone know the basic differences between the different Fender Twin models (Blackface, red knobs, silverface, reissue, reverb, etc)? I've done some research but the only thing I can find is that they were made in different time periods and have "different circuitry" as well as cosmetics. I'm a little confused as to why certain models are worth much more (Blackface).

Cool Cool Cool
Apr 17, 2008

by T. Finn
I've been looking into getting a new amp as mentioned. Specifically, I want something with a nice clean channel, probably solid state or anything under 300 bucks. Any opinions on the Peavey Bandit? Other suggestions. I play a Danelectro DC 3 and like to play twangy poo poo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Cool Cool Cool posted:

I've been looking into getting a new amp as mentioned. Specifically, I want something with a nice clean channel, probably solid state or anything under 300 bucks. Any opinions on the Peavey Bandit? Other suggestions. I play a Danelectro DC 3 and like to play twangy poo poo.

Bump up your budget another $60 and look into an Epiphone Valve Sr. I have no experience with it, but the Valve Jr.s sound pretty good for that price.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Senior-20W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=620579

edit: here's a vid of the junior, or at least a modded version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_LPLFgcHo4

more edit: there are like two vids of a guy "reviewing" the valve senior, but he's not a very good player so I don't think it sounds as good as it could.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 11, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cool Cool Cool posted:

Paging magnificent7 to make you buy a peavey bandit. At least I think that's who loves 'em so much.

Serious answer: keep your eye out for a used Fender Hot Rod. Every once in a while they'll dip under $300 for a 2x10 combo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Paging magnificent7 to make you buy a peavey bandit. At least I think that's who loves 'em so much.

I had an old 1st gen bandit that still gets some great sounds out of it courtesy of one of the guitarists in my band.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Nelsocracy posted:

Does anyone know the basic differences between the different Fender Twin models (Blackface, red knobs, silverface, reissue, reverb, etc)? I've done some research but the only thing I can find is that they were made in different time periods and have "different circuitry" as well as cosmetics. I'm a little confused as to why certain models are worth much more (Blackface).
Blackfaces are pre-CBS so you got all the gear junkies buying them. The red knob "The Twin" from the 80s does a decent distorted tone from what I hear, which is unusual for a Twin. Oh, and a Twin Reverb has reverb obv
They tend to sound really great clean and weigh half a ton

(btw I've actually got a Music Man Sixty-Five 210 (65W, 2 10" spkrs, very imaginative name) that's basically the Music Man version of the Twin I'm looking to sell)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've always heard to avoid red-knob fender amps like the plague... Not sure why but I've never run into anyone who has praised them.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Blackfaces are pre-CBS so you got all the gear junkies buying them. The red knob "The Twin" from the 80s does a decent distorted tone from what I hear, which is unusual for a Twin. Oh, and a Twin Reverb has reverb obv
They tend to sound really great clean and weigh half a ton

(btw I've actually got a Music Man Sixty-Five 210 (65W, 2 10" spkrs, very imaginative name) that's basically the Music Man version of the Twin I'm looking to sell)
You need to buy that Music Man amp Cool Cool Cool. Awesome clean tones, probably the cleanest I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

those are the greatest loving amps. how much you want?