Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddamn rules.
Okay so a big guy sat on the neck of my guitar when he was drunk. I looked it over in the daylight and saw that there are now three cracks that look rather significant in the top of it, but I don't know how much of a beating a guitar really can take before it needs to get fixed. If this is cosmetic, whatever, adds to the character, but if it's structural or will gently caress up the sound I'm definitely going to beat his rear end into paying for repairs:

This is my guitar:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

And these are the details of the damages--

At the bridge, toward the bottom of the guitar:

At the smaller set of soundholes:

And this is the longest one, going from the inside of the top soundholes all the way under the strings:

So I'm kind of hoping this is just the varnish that's cracked, and not the wood, but it's really hard for me to tell, and goons seem to know everything. Please, help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!

Danger Jane posted:

So I'm kind of hoping this is just the varnish that's cracked, and not the wood, but it's really hard for me to tell, and goons seem to know everything. Please, help?

From what I understand, the first thing you'll want to do is loosen the strings. I've got no idea whether that damage is serious or not, but if it is, you'll only be making it worse having the strings at full tension.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
If it wasnt' an Ovation it'd be easy to stick your hand thru the soundhole and feel the wood from the unfinished inside of it, but with that... Definitely slacken the strings and take it to a decent tech asap

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

God drat. I guess it's time to be loving pissed. Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess at least I'll get better at bass now since I can't play my guitar...

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

If it wasnt' an Ovation it'd be easy to stick your hand thru the soundhole and feel the wood from the unfinished inside of it, but with that... Definitely slacken the strings and take it to a decent tech asap

I know that on my Ovation with the epaulet soundholes, there's a patch on the back that you can unscrew to do fun stuff like truss rod adjustments. Is your guitar lacking this? If not, then just take that off and stick a flashlight in there, which might make clear how deep the damage is.

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

I know that on my Ovation with the epaulet soundholes, there's a patch on the back that you can unscrew to do fun stuff like truss rod adjustments. Is your guitar lacking this? If not, then just take that off and stick a flashlight in there, which might make clear how deep the damage is.

There is one, good point. I'll try and open this if I can, but I live in a dorm room so I don't exactly have a tool kit lying around. At any rate I'll be home in a few days and able to look at it for sure. Thanks.

E: Fortunately it looks like the damage is probably cosmetic--no interior cracks. I'll still have it looked at, but I'm feeling cautiously relieved. Anyway thanks for the help guys.

Danger Jane fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 13, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I just started up in a band that consists of a guitarist, a bassist, a keyboardist and a drummer, for now we're just working on some rock and funk covers. We have a 80W Squier 4 PA system that we hook up two mics and the keys to. The mics are a Sennheiser e815s and the other one is, from what I can tell, a TEAC TM 77. I can't find anything about TEAC mics online, although it seems like it might be a pretty old mic and the company TEAC has since become TASCAM. Anyway, it's often pretty hard to hear the vocals over the rest of the instruments, and the mics feedback when we turn them up too loud. Is 80W enough in a PA to produce sufficiently loud but clear vocals? Or is it that those mics just aren't cutting it? I think my dad might have some SM57s or 58s kicking around somewhere, so I'll have to get those over winter break. But yeah, is it the PA or the mics that are more important in getting vocals loud enough but not muddy? Also, are the mics feeding back just because they're turned up too high or could the spatial arrangement of the mics and the speakers have an effect? If so, could guitar/bass amps affect mic feedback too, or not?

Sorry for the beginner questions; I've played guitar and bass for a decent amount of time, but have never really delved into the details when it comes to live sound. Thanks!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My Ovation acoustic is pretty much the darkest sounding acoustic I've ever played. What type of strings should I look for to help balance the tone a bit and brighten it up?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

hamaien posted:

My Ovation acoustic is pretty much the darkest sounding acoustic I've ever played. What type of strings should I look for to help balance the tone a bit and brighten it up?
I put DR's phosphor bronze on my old one and now it's the sound equivalent to a 1,000w light bulb.

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

scuz posted:

I put DR's phosphor bronze on my old one and now it's the sound equivalent to a 1,000w light bulb.

I use D'Addario flat tops, like 12s or 13s.

E: I should clarify that it's a pretty bright tone, not unbalanced though, to my ear, and a little unconventional overall. Sounds pretty great plugged in too.

Danger Jane fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 14, 2009

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

for a porkchop posted:

I recently got a Yamaha Stagepas 500, and there's a warning on all the speaker connections to use '500s only.' They look like regular 1/4 inch cables, but I've found I often wish they were longer. What is 500 referring to? Is the 's' a plural or some other identifier?
Just make sure you buy 1/4" speaker cable and not 1/4" instrument cable. The label is most likely telling you not to plug them into a different amp, has nothing to do with the cable.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
I'm not feeling curious enough to break out my high level google fu on this but I know we have some major ehx fans here; does anyone know if the foot controller for the 2880 would work with the HOG (or any other ehx unit) by any chance?
I'm thinking about getting some kind of midi foot controller for the 2880 since the firmware upgrade makes that look really attractive and was wondering if that (possibly at some point to be-spare) piece of kit would still have any use ?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I just started up in a band that consists of a guitarist, a bassist, a keyboardist and a drummer, for now we're just working on some rock and funk covers. We have a 80W Squier 4 PA system that we hook up two mics and the keys to. The mics are a Sennheiser e815s and the other one is, from what I can tell, a TEAC TM 77. I can't find anything about TEAC mics online, although it seems like it might be a pretty old mic and the company TEAC has since become TASCAM. Anyway, it's often pretty hard to hear the vocals over the rest of the instruments, and the mics feedback when we turn them up too loud. Is 80W enough in a PA to produce sufficiently loud but clear vocals? Or is it that those mics just aren't cutting it? I think my dad might have some SM57s or 58s kicking around somewhere, so I'll have to get those over winter break. But yeah, is it the PA or the mics that are more important in getting vocals loud enough but not muddy? Also, are the mics feeding back just because they're turned up too high or could the spatial arrangement of the mics and the speakers have an effect? If so, could guitar/bass amps affect mic feedback too, or not?

Sorry for the beginner questions; I've played guitar and bass for a decent amount of time, but have never really delved into the details when it comes to live sound. Thanks!
I'd say both the PA and mic are important for the sound. Don't know about that 80W mixer; my band has a 120W (I think), and the vocals are clear in the mix, but not super loud. Depends on the speakers too. You could try EQ'ing the vocals differently to see if that cuts down on the feedback. Also, an obvious, but effective solution is for the other guys in the band to turn down (and for the drummer to play softer). This is often a good thing anyway.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I'm not feeling curious enough to break out my high level google fu on this but I know we have some major ehx fans here; does anyone know if the foot controller for the 2880 would work with the HOG (or any other ehx unit) by any chance?
I'm thinking about getting some kind of midi foot controller for the 2880 since the firmware upgrade makes that look really attractive and was wondering if that (possibly at some point to be-spare) piece of kit would still have any use ?
I've never heard about this being possible, and I've been reading some forums with a lot of EHX-fanboys. The set of parameters being controlled is pretty different on the two pedals. Also, it's my impression that EHX is a pretty decent company, and if the foot controller was the same for both pedals, they'd probably be clear about that.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 14, 2009

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

stairway to hippo posted:

I've never heard about this being possible, and I've been reading some forums with a lot of EHX-fanboys. The set of parameters being controlled is pretty different on the two pedals.
As I understand it this is completely irrelevant since the foot controllers just send voltage to some digital circuit inside the main unit. Again, this isn't something so pressing that I'd actually bother to, you know, open a new tab to google it, but it seems entirely plausible that they could be interchangeable. Then again, ehx might throw one random resistor in there just to screw up the values between them.

quote:

Also, it's my impression that EHX is a pretty decent company, and if the foot controller was the same for both pedals, they'd probably be clear about that.
This is stretching it. They're not the fishiest fx company ever but they def want to make a buck and their descriptions of their effects are often high on flowery prose and low on useful details

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

I've never heard about this being possible, and I've been reading some forums with a lot of EHX-fanboys. The set of parameters being controlled is pretty different on the two pedals. Also, it's my impression that EHX is a pretty decent company, and if the foot controller was the same for both pedals, they'd probably be clear about that.

As an EHX fanboy, I can tell you that they do almost anything they can to save money. The space drum, one of their less popular pedals, was only allowed on the product line because the designer managed to fit it in a Big Muff Pi enclosure. The reason this is relevant is because if the two controllers were the same, EHX could just slap two jacks on it, label it a foot controller and call it a day, as opposed to labeling them differently. I imagine that's what the case would be if they were the same.

Not that it's not possible for them to be different, but by the end of 2010, I hope to be able to confirm that they're different :frogbon:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

As an EHX fanboy, I can tell you that they do almost anything they can to save money. The space drum, one of their less popular pedals, was only allowed on the product line because the designer managed to fit it in a Big Muff Pi enclosure. The reason this is relevant is because if the two controllers were the same, EHX could just slap two jacks on it, label it a foot controller and call it a day, as opposed to labeling them differently. I imagine that's what the case would be if they were the same.
The other side of that coin is that palette swaps are dirt cheap, too, with the benefit of maybe milking a few extra bucks from the richer customers

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

This is stretching it. They're not the fishiest fx company ever but they def want to make a buck and their descriptions of their effects are often high on flowery prose and low on useful details

Well yeah, most companies are primarily about making money. But I don't think it would serve them in the long run if it was discovered they sold two pedals that are the excact same product just with a different paintjob. But then again, who knows.

I can take a look inside my HOG FC when I get home from work and see if I can find any gut shots of the 2880 FC to compare.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

I can take a look inside my HOG FC when I get home from work and see if I can find any gut shots of the 2880 FC to compare.

When you think about it, though, if you're willing to make the $900 plunge for a 2880, a HOG and it's controller (plus all the space they take up), and you're not willing to pay another $100 for an appropriate controller, that's kinda weak, dude.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Well yeah, most companies are primarily about making money. But I don't think it would serve them in the long run if it was discovered they sold two pedals that are the excact same product just with a different paintjob.
I cant imagine itd be a big deal, like ape sauce sez, if yre throwin the money to get both of the fx units and 1 foot controller, you can afford another one and you'd need 2 controllers to play live... They wouldnt care if you bought two of the same one since theyre the same price, right?

quote:

I'll find the camera again and disassemble my 2880 foot controller to compare :)

devmechanic
Oct 21, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

I want to play mp3s at half speed, what is a good program to do this in a reasonably simple way? Windows or linux.

From a while back, and I apologize if this has been answered already...

Amazingly, Windows Media Player will slow down tracks to 50% speed. To do this, go to the menu bar in media player: Play -> Play Speed -> Slow

A more robust option that I use is BestPractice:

http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net

It has more sophisticated slow down options, as well as the ability to do looping over a particular phrase. And it's free :)

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Why in the hell do people take the trem cover off the back of their guitar and never put it back on? I've been a used guitar shopper for a long time and I've noticed a lot of guitars are missing it. Are people so lazy they can't put it back on after adding/removing springs or making an adjustment to the trem system?

I just don't get it :smith:

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Pretty much, yeah. Generally I make adjustments and then leave the guitar for a bit to let it settle, and then just forget to ever put the trem cover back on again.

I was tracking recently though and had to put all my covers back on with foam sandwiched in between, to kill the ridiculous noise/feedback that ringing trem springs cause.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Rivethead posted:

Why in the hell do people take the trem cover off the back of their guitar and never put it back on? I've been a used guitar shopper for a long time and I've noticed a lot of guitars are missing it. Are people so lazy they can't put it back on after adding/removing springs or making an adjustment to the trem system?

I just don't get it :smith:

A lot of people perpetually leave them off (some boutique builders don't even bother including one) because players are constantly making adjustments to the tension and whatnot. I'm more of a "set it and forget it" kinda guy, but that's why I don't mess around with trems in general. Too much loving hassle.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm recording a guitar direct from my Fast Track Pro, I'm not really good at this -- but how loud should I typically be recording (dB-wise) when clean before running it through compression and effects? Right now I have a feeling that it is way too quiet (before effects).

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I'll find the camera again and disassemble my 2880 foot controller to compare :)

Edit: ok, the "reverse," "feedback," "record" etc labeling on the PCB makes it looks like some kinda multipurpose thing after all...

Pannus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 15, 2009

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

well waddayaknow, mine's an EC-9876 rev A board too, learn sth every day :)

e: cant get the second screw off to see the top of the board >___>

byob historian fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 15, 2009

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

No. 9 posted:

I'm recording a guitar direct from my Fast Track Pro, I'm not really good at this -- but how loud should I typically be recording (dB-wise) when clean before running it through compression and effects? Right now I have a feeling that it is way too quiet (before effects).
You generally want any recording to average right around -18dB in a 24 bit recording or ideally -12dB in a 16-bit recording. Obviously you have to turn down if you're clipping on peaks, but that's the general rule of thumb to keep you well above the noise floor when you're mixing a bunch of recorded tracks.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
I recently went to a gig where the guitarist was playing a Fender Champ, and it sounded great. I currently have a Fender Blues Jr, which I am fairly disappointed with. I was debating buying some kind of Fender Twin but I realized this won't be great for small gigs or bedroom playing. My main question is - how does the Fender Champ compare to the Fender Blues Jr in terms of volume and clean headroom? I much prefer the sound of the Champ but I'd like to be sure that I can play small gigs and play over a drummer with it as I've been doing with my Blues jr. I know the champ is only 5 watts but wattage doesn't really give a clear picture of how loud an amp really is.

The one I'd be picking up is a late 70s Silverface, likely.

Thanks in advance.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Edit: ok, the "reverse," "feedback," "record" etc labeling on the PCB makes it looks like some kinda multipurpose thing after all...

The M430 is a microcontroller, it's possible they run different programs...

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Better_Than_You posted:

Amazingly, Windows Media Player will slow down tracks to 50% speed. To do this, go to the menu bar in media player: Play -> Play Speed -> Slow

It has more sophisticated slow down options, as well as the ability to do looping over a particular phrase. And it's free :)

You're awesome.

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

Ok I inherited this guitar from my great uncle. I don't have any idea how old this is, and I've never heard of G Holiday as a brand of guitars. I don't know too much about guitars anyway. Can anybody give me some info?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Looks like a teisco del rey (these were rebadged with a million different names, got one with some girly name I need to change the nut on for sbody)

It doesnt have the gold foil pickups which can go for a few bucks but looks like its in decent shape. It's worth around a hundred bucks, assuming the electronics are fine

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Looks like a teisco del rey (these were rebadged with a million different names, got one with some girly name I need to change the nut on for sbody)

It doesnt have the gold foil pickups which can go for a few bucks but looks like its in decent shape. It's worth around a hundred bucks, assuming the electronics are fine

As far as the electronics, everything's fine. Just a little dusty. Seems to be in great shape other than that. Thanks for the quick reply

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
My guitarist has a "line out" on his amp. To plug it into the mixer, do I use an instrument or a speaker cable?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Instrument cables carry line-level signals just fine; that's what line-level synths and whatnot use

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Instrument cables carry line-level signals just fine; that's what line-level synths and whatnot use

awesome we have way more of those :3:

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

scuz posted:

My guitarist has a "line out" on his amp. To plug it into the mixer, do I use an instrument or a speaker cable?

If the amp's speaker automatically shuts off when the line out is used, you might want to mic the amp to preserve stage sound.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CalvinDooglas posted:

If the amp's speaker automatically shuts off when the line out is used, you might want to mic the amp to preserve stage sound.

Some amps actually do that? What a terrible idea...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CalvinDooglas posted:

The problem is that we don't have a mic to spare in our rehearsal space :ohdear: In any case, it's a tube amp, so I don't think the speaker would be turned off, would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Better_Than_You posted:

I haven't gotten a chance to play around with this much, but it looks fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion!