Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

scuz posted:

The problem is that we don't have a mic to spare in our rehearsal space :ohdear: In any case, it's a tube amp, so I don't think the speaker would be turned off, would it?

I'm not even sure I've owned an amp crappy enough not to run both. Are you trying to run the guitar through a PA for practice? might be a little overkill for a small space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CalvinDooglas posted:

I'm not even sure I've owned an amp crappy enough not to run both. Are you trying to run the guitar through a PA for practice? might be a little overkill for a small space.
It's for recording. We have 3 microphones and 4 things that need a microphone (we've only got one on drums) if we wanna record them. The drum mic is hilariously bad: a Shure PG58 with a taped-on windscreen. Pictures are in the rehearsal space thread. We need more/better microphones and we are all broke and it's depressing as hell.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

scuz posted:

It's for recording. We have 3 microphones and 4 things that need a microphone (we've only got one on drums) if we wanna record them. The drum mic is hilariously bad: a Shure PG58 with a taped-on windscreen. Pictures are in the rehearsal space thread. We need more/better microphones and we are all broke and it's depressing as hell.

If you're multitracking there's no need to mic everyone at once, and you really shouldn't because of bleed. If you're doing live takes, I'm not sure I'd even bother with the drum mic because they'll be on every track regardless. Mixing a line-in with a bunch of ambient mics could also sound a little weird, since the line-in will lose all the room noise/bleed, which causes it to sound very "up front" and unnatural in an otherwise live mix. The easiest and least bloody way to do that recording is probably to record the drums first, then everyone else record to the drum track. You can then use all of your microphones to separate the bass and hi hat (trust me this sounds great), and mic all the instruments. The more stages you can separate the recording into, the more you stretch your equipment and get better quality. The trade is time and energy, but it's better to put in a lot of effort and get a decent recording than some effort for a worthless recording.

You also don't need a windscreen indoors.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CalvinDooglas posted:

If you're multitracking there's no need to mic everyone at once, and you really shouldn't because of bleed. If you're doing live takes, I'm not sure I'd even bother with the drum mic because they'll be on every track regardless. Mixing a line-in with a bunch of ambient mics could also sound a little weird, since the line-in will lose all the room noise/bleed, which causes it to sound very "up front" and unnatural in an otherwise live mix. The easiest and least bloody way to do that recording is probably to record the drums first, then everyone else record to the drum track. You can then use all of your microphones to separate the bass and hi hat (trust me this sounds great), and mic all the instruments. The more stages you can separate the recording into, the more you stretch your equipment and get better quality. The trade is time and energy, but it's better to put in a lot of effort and get a decent recording than some effort for a worthless recording.

You also don't need a windscreen indoors.
Sorry, I made you type that whole words out :ohdear:

We are not multitracking; we are going through a powered mixer and into a sony dual-cassette deck. We po' :( Also when I say windscreen I mean the thing that screws on to the microphone where the diaphragm is. Like the difference between the SM57 and SM58 is its windscreen. What do you call it?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

scuz posted:

We are not multitracking; we are going through a powered mixer and into a sony dual-cassette deck. We po' :( Also when I say windscreen I mean the thing that screws on to the microphone where the diaphragm is. Like the difference between the SM57 and SM58 is its windscreen. What do you call it?

That's the grill, watch out for rattling. If you are using a dual cassette, you can still record the drums separate. Record them onto one track, the rhythm instruments onto the other, mix the two down to one tape, then record your leads and vocals on the empty track and mix them down again for the "master". You sacrifice some quality, but it does eliminate bleed and might save your band a number of takes.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

scuz posted:

Another possibility is to just do it live. Get a good balance going in the room first. Take your best mic and systematically record some samples from different placements in the room. Pick the one that sounds the best - shows the best balance between the instruments, and doesn't have any crazy frequency peaks or nulls - and record that. If you have two decent mics you can pan them out and get stereo.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm looking at the user manual for the iSP Decimator ProRack, and it has this page describing the inputs and outputs:

Now, I have a vague idea of what balanced/unbalanced/high impedence means, but what I'd basically like to know is could I run the signal from my guitar to Input 1, from Output 1 to the amp's input, from the effects in the effects loop to Input 2, then from Output 2 to the amp's effects return? If that's possible, is it ideal? I saw a video where the guys from Periphery all use 2 noise suppressors and they say that that's the reason they sound so tight, and I want that.

Basically like this:

Here's the Periphery Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8hBHok2xI

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 16, 2009

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I'm using non-keyboard midi controllers (two xone:1Ds and a nanopad) in FLStudio and I want to midi map the keys on the piano roll to specific buttons on the controller so it can be played that way. I cant seem to accomplish this, as the standard 'right click-link to controller' option isn't available in the piano roll.

I have a similar problem in the VST Omnisphere. I cant seem to map any of its functions or knobs to my controllers. (in FL or ableton)

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

rockear posted:

Another possibility is to just do it live. Get a good balance going in the room first. Take your best mic and systematically record some samples from different placements in the room. Pick the one that sounds the best - shows the best balance between the instruments, and doesn't have any crazy frequency peaks or nulls - and record that. If you have two decent mics you can pan them out and get stereo.
Realistically, you can't get enough separation to get anything close to "stereo". To do a real stereo recording, you need multitracking, drum mics, all that. There' no such thing as ambient mic placement that makes the drums sound good. Trying to set up one or two microphones in a room with drums, you'll spend all your time trying to make anything else audible above the cymbals. Recording drums first is the only way you can get decent balance and make it sound like something other than a microphone dangled into a practice space.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

ZeldaLeft posted:

I'm using non-keyboard midi controllers (two xone:1Ds and a nanopad) in FLStudio and I want to midi map the keys on the piano roll to specific buttons on the controller so it can be played that way. I cant seem to accomplish this, as the standard 'right click-link to controller' option isn't available in the piano roll.

I have a similar problem in the VST Omnisphere. I cant seem to map any of its functions or knobs to my controllers. (in FL or ableton)

I don't have any of my own midi controllers handy to to play with your first problem in FL. I'm assuming you'd have to go into the midi settings menu and reassign the midi value your button has to whatever the note would be.

For any VST you can't right click, press the menu button (that triangle in the top left corner of the vst) and select browse parameters. Then right click the parameters in the browser that you want to assign.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004

Weird BIAS posted:

For any VST you can't right click, press the menu button (that triangle in the top left corner of the vst) and select browse parameters. Then right click the parameters in the browser that you want to assign.

this would have been a great help, but omnisphere's paramaters are 4095 parameters that are simply numbers, and another 125 labeled midi cc# and they dont seem to affect anything when i assign them. arrrgh...

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
When the browser is open with that list and you move the button/slider/whatever on the vst, it should automatically jump to that value in the browser. I can't really suggest anything else to help, I couldn't find a single vst in my collection that wasn't labeled to some degree. Give either the FL forums or Omnisphere a shout about it.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CalvinDooglas posted:

Realistically, you can't get enough separation to get anything close to "stereo". To do a real stereo recording, you need multitracking, drum mics, all that. There' no such thing as ambient mic placement that makes the drums sound good. Trying to set up one or two microphones in a room with drums, you'll spend all your time trying to make anything else audible above the cymbals. Recording drums first is the only way you can get decent balance and make it sound like something other than a microphone dangled into a practice space.

You make good points. If the drummer doesn't have the best feel and can't ease up on the cymbals a little it probably won't work. Likewise if you have a guitarist that refuses to turn his Marshall below 9. In my experience I'd rather have the "mojo" of the band playing together than the modest quality increase you'll get from bouncing on a cassette deck. To each their own I guess.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

rockear posted:

In my experience I'd rather have the "mojo" of the band playing together than the modest quality increase you'll get from bouncing on a cassette deck.

When we did live takes in the studio, we ran into the other side of that problem: after so many takes, the band just loses chemistry.

I don't think there's any perfect way to record with a band, so much of it is trial and error.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't think there's any perfect way to record with a band, so much of it is trial and error.

Record without the band knowing it :)

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scarf posted:

Record without the band knowing it :)

Using a $50,000 invisible Telefunken U47 :)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Does anyone have a recommendation for good free software for writing music in standard notation? It doesn't have to play anything (although I won't complain if it does), just let me notate it. This isn't for guitar, I already have Power Tab, I just want to make standard notation.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

rockear posted:

Using a $50,000 invisible Telefunken U47 :)

Two for stereo :downs:

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004

Weird BIAS posted:

When the browser is open with that list and you move the button/slider/whatever on the vst, it should automatically jump to that value in the browser. I can't really suggest anything else to help, I couldn't find a single vst in my collection that wasn't labeled to some degree. Give either the FL forums or Omnisphere a shout about it.

nah, that doesnt seem to work. digging thru omnisphere forums now.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Two for stereo :downs:

That reminds me: not to be pedantic but if you place two microphones in a room and pan them hard left and right you will get a stereo recording. Not in the sense of "high hat on the right, ride on the left, kick, bass and vox up the middle, but it will have a sense of space due to the phase relationships that a mono recording wont.

I will probably regret posting this, but here's an example that a band I was in made 10 years ago using this method. Two SM58s on either end of the room, which happened to be a storage shed with a roll up metal door. It sounded like poo poo in there. The guy that put them on myspace put some kind of compressor on there in the hopes of making it louder I think that doesn't sound real good, but you can get an idea of the sound you might expect. Not great :) Also don't judge too harshly it was the '90s.

https://www.myspace.com/stickmanlincoln

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Could start a thread in PYF/PYR but this seems easier/less clutter.
Song from the 90's I believe, late 90's, rock with male vocals for the most part except for this one female vocal loop which was really sick in the band's single except through the album it got reeeeeeeeally old. I think the band's name is like a four letter acronym or at least looks like one (a.r.f.d. etc, four letters w/ periods). The following is the main hook, the chorus thingie is where the female vocal line would be, and then just guitar/bass

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Would I be able to use the ART Pro VLA II with a guitar signal?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for good free software for writing music in standard notation? It doesn't have to play anything (although I won't complain if it does), just let me notate it. This isn't for guitar, I already have Power Tab, I just want to make standard notation.

I'd also like to know what Sibellius is like for making sheet music.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'd also like to know what Sibellius is like for making sheet music.

I've used Finale, but not Sibelius. They're both software for professionals. It really depends what you intend to do with the music. If you're writing music in multiple parts or want to share it with others, you should use software so you can check what you wrote and make it look nice. If you're just interested in writing down ideas, it's totally worth the effort to get good at writing music by hand. Software is excellent for things like scores, where you can't see errors at a glance or play all the parts yourself to check, but it's a little overkill for one or two staves at a time.

Once you become fluent in writing down music, the only real advantage of software is that it makes your music presentable. I've had various copies of Finale for years and more I write down music, the more I prefer to do it by hand.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It's also worth adding that there's money to save by getting Finale notepad or whattever it's called instead of the full version. I've only used the full version, but my sister used the cheaper one for her college music classes, and it's supposed to be good too.

If you're just gonna use it to write down scores and don't need a lot of fancy options, you should get something cheap and simple.

Crash Bandicoot
Feb 23, 2007

by T. Fine
I'm completely ignorant about music production software/technology/terminology, but I figure somebody in this thread might be able to help me. Rock Band 2 drums can be used as a MIDI controller using a small app called rb2midi. What software would I need to have my PC make drum noises using this MIDI data? I don't want to produce music or do anything complicated, just have my PC make drum noises as I bash the cheap kit that I already own.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Who does good, not too expensive custom guitar pedals? A week ago I lost all of my pedals and cables and over the next few months must rebuild my collection piece by piece. I'm open to new stuff, but it's got to be good. True bypass, no bleed, roadworthy, reliable. I had a Keeley TS-9 and will definitely get more Keeley pedals, but who else does good custom/mod work?

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1
Can someone recommend a Audio Interface in the $100 - $200 USD range?
I have been looking and they all seem to be much of a muchness.

I will only be using the Audio Interface with a Nord Electro 2, Warwick Corvette $$, and a laptop with Ableton running Kontact and Scarbee Classic Electro Piano. Hopefully I will be making a talkbox so a mic input as well.

I was looking at the Native Instruments Kontrol 1 but see there are other devices with the requisite amount of Mic, Line, Instrument, MIDI IO for cheaper but I am mostly concerned about latency for VST instrument as I just like to Noodle around playing live rather than record or do anything seriously.

P.S. Scarbee Classic Electric Piano is the BEST sound Rhodes sample set I have ever heard. I cannot distinguish it from the real thing and naturally it blows my Nord Electro Rhodes patch out of the water :(

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

Who does good, not too expensive custom guitar pedals? A week ago I lost all of my pedals and cables and over the next few months must rebuild my collection piece by piece. I'm open to new stuff, but it's got to be good. True bypass, no bleed, roadworthy, reliable. I had a Keeley TS-9 and will definitely get more Keeley pedals, but who else does good custom/mod work?

Have you considered building some BYOC or GGG pedal kits to replace your old stuff? Most of the more standard stuff (TS-9, muff, etc) come with all the options for popular mods with the kit, various era muffs, etc. They sound great, they are cheap and are super fun and easy to build!

edit: Here is a link to the GGG kit page. Look how cheap!!

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7&Itemid=45

black_mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2009

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Are the GGG instructions as good and easy as the BYOC ones are? If so, maybe I'll build one of those next. My BYOC Big Muff Pi clone was pretty easy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

All of the instructions are available on GGG's site. You don't even need to order the board/kit if you can handle etching the PCB/sourcing parts yourself.
The kits just make it easy to one stop shop.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Oh nice. So it's basically the same as the BYOC stuff. I should buy myself some pedals to build for Christmas. I already bought myself a new speaker for my Deluxe Reverb.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, a free stuff page on GGG!

wtf lol

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

scuz posted:

Oh hey, a free stuff page on GGG!

wtf lol

Yeah, they seem to be all christian-y out there. There was some sort of small religious leaflet in the box they shipped my octave fuzz kit in. It was nothing too extreme, usually that kind of thing weirds me out- more when I was a younger angrier man than now. The way I see it, if you want to keep selling me high quality pedal kits for cheap I can't complain too much if you want to make sure my soul is going to be okay, just in case I don't have that in check already. Or send Chick Tracts, because they are funny.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Friend of mine is giving me a Peavy guitar amp, and he says the speaker needs replacement. He doesn't want to fool with it, so I'm getting a free amp. I don't about wattage or sizes yet.

So where is a good place to shop for speakers?
Also, my guitar is an acoustic electric. Will it sound like crap?
Should I start looking for a sound hole pickup?
Next week, will Batman catch the Penguin?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Horse Divorce posted:

So where is a good place to shop for speakers?
https://www.peavey.com will have direct-replacement speakers, otherwise https://www.usspeaker.com and https://www.avatarspeakers.com

quote:

Also, my guitar is an acoustic electric. Will it sound like crap?
Should I start looking for a sound hole pickup?
Nope, just get a rubber hole blocker thing; I forget their technical term. It's a rubber hole plug that keeps your guitar from being a feedback machine.

quote:

Next week, will Batman catch the Penguin?
nope :parrot:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

scuz posted:

https://www.peavey.com will have direct-replacement speakers, otherwise https://www.usspeaker.com and https://www.avatarspeakers.com
Awesome, thanks a million!

scuz posted:

Nope, just get a rubber hole blocker thing; I forget their technical term. It's a rubber hole plug that keeps your guitar from being a feedback machine.
Ah, I know exactly what you're talking about. A sound hole cover, something like this.

scuz posted:

nope :parrot:
Darn :saddowns:

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 21, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yup, that sound hole cover is what you need. Post more information when you get your hands on the amp then we can tell you exactly which speaker to get :3:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

mezzir posted:

Could start a thread in PYF/PYR but this seems easier/less clutter.
Song from the 90's I believe, late 90's, rock with male vocals for the most part except for this one female vocal loop which was really sick in the band's single except through the album it got reeeeeeeeally old. I think the band's name is like a four letter acronym or at least looks like one (a.r.f.d. etc, four letters w/ periods). The following is the main hook, the chorus thingie is where the female vocal line would be, and then just guitar/bass

Apologies for the bump but got damnit this is still bugging the poo poo out of me and I've had no luck identifying it whatsoever :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

mezzir posted:

Apologies for the bump but got damnit this is still bugging the poo poo out of me and I've had no luck identifying it whatsoever :smith:

Well if Shazam doesn't recognize it's either jazz or not popular. As if there were a difference.