Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokracy
Oct 9, 2009

mokracy.com
My insurance agent with State Farm told me that, since my music equipment is used for "business" (i.e., paid gigs) then none of it is covered by homeowner's insurance. Period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Does anyone happen to have a copy of the service manual for the Ibanez HD 1000 ?

Or a link to where I could find it online for free or very cheap ($25 for a service manual for a $50 unit is not very cheap)

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the service manual for the Ibanez HD 1000 ?

Or a link to where I could find it online for free or very cheap ($25 for a service manual for a $50 unit is not very cheap)

http://www.daisybelle.nl/ibanez_hd1000_manual%20_1983_.pdf :cheers:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Can anyone recommend a full size keyboard with weighted keys?

My wife loves to play piano but we don't have the room or the noise control for a real piano.

Mostly going for the feel. I wouldn't mind additional synth capability for my own purposes. Pedals are kind of a must as well.

Not looking to spend a shitload either so I don't know if this is possible.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Sylink posted:

My wife loves to play piano but we don't have the room or the noise control for a real piano.

Mostly going for the feel. I wouldn't mind additional synth capability for my own purposes. Pedals are kind of a must as well.

i got a steal on a roland digital piano via craigslist -- take a look
no synthesis but a hell of a midi controller, takes at least a sustain pedal [i'd check but its ay a bandmates house]
i imagine anything similar from the major brands would be good

also tyvm numba 9 for the link, i'll check it out when i'm not wii-browsing

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Does anyone have the Manual for Korg Triton Extreme 88 keys from a few years back?

Or a website that shows me how to do stuff like set octaves to sounds, double layer sounds, set keys to trigger stuff etc.

I bought my keyboard used and I'm in a band now and being the keyboardist I have to do things like play three instruments at once and poo poo.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Why'd you stop singing, Alizee ?
You shouldnt hide that lovely figure behind a keyboard! ;)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

also tyvm numba 9 for the link, i'll check it out when i'm not wii-browsing

Yeah, that's actually the owner's manual, not the service manual. Thanks anyway, though! :)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sylink posted:

I'm told that on 80% of the digital pianos / controllers on the market, the keys/action are manufactured by Fatar, and it's rather on the light and flimsy side for serious playing. You might want to take a look at the Kawai MP5, which is supposed to have a pretty nice feel.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

What's the best book for a beginner sax player? My brother's birthday is coming up and he's always liked sax.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Horse Divorce posted:

What's the worst that can happen if I decide to put an electric guitar's pickup in my bass? (I told you, Frankenstein!) What's the best? I'd rather not wast the money if it won't make a sound, let alone a terrible one.

The only vitally important difference in the construction of guitar and bass pickups is the pole pieces. With that in mind, rail pickups of all kinds will get the job done while at least preserving string balance. How good they sound is far less certain, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Horse Divorce posted:

Anybody else have some cool one-shot mods that I can do on the cheap?

I think one of the least idiotic things you could play with is active electronics, especially built in effects. Grab some perf board and head over to DIYstompboxes.org and see what catches your eye. Off the top of my head I'd say a fuzz, ring mod, octave, or flanger would probably be pretty fun.

Re-tuning and restringing are both fun and relatively non-invasive. I strung my main bass BEAD and haven't looked back. Mark Sandman's two string slide setups were also very cool if you're into that sort of thing. You could also string high-- ADGC like the top of a six string set.

Finally, given that it's a crappy old Dean, I think that you should make sure everything you do is as invasive and poorly thought out as possible. And post pics. :hist101:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Ferrous Wheel posted:

The only vitally important difference in the construction of guitar and bass pickups is the pole pieces. With that in mind, rail pickups of all kinds will get the job done while at least preserving string balance. How good they sound is far less certain, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Well, as far as pickups go, I've been eyeing this for a while now. Dimarzio Distortion Pickups in the neighborhood of 65 bucks. I'm just not sure if it'll actually fit in there, I can't see it to compare sizes, and I don't have any woodworking tools.

quote:

I think one of the least idiotic things you could play with is active electronics, especially built in effects. Grab some perf board and head over to DIYstompboxes.org and see what catches your eye. Off the top of my head I'd say a fuzz, ring mod, octave, or flanger would probably be pretty fun.

Now this sounds like pure brilliance, but again, there's not a lot of room in there. I'm thinking an octo would be cool, as I've just recently picked up a flange pedal. I'll have to look through the diy site later, it's 8:30 AM and I need to sleep soon.

quote:

Re-tuning and restringing are both fun and relatively non-invasive. I strung my main bass BEAD and haven't looked back. Mark Sandman's two string slide setups were also very cool if you're into that sort of thing. You could also string high-- ADGC like the top of a six string set.

Finally, given that it's a crappy old Dean, I think that you should make sure everything you do is as invasive and poorly thought out as possible. And post pics. :hist101:

Step ahead of you there. I'm thinking of running BEAD, so it's harmonious with a standard tuned guitar.

I'll be sure to take pictures as I work along. Perhaps start a thread on it, who knows? This might go well with the mini keg reverb project I've been wanting to do...

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Horse Divorce posted:

Well, as far as pickups go, I've been eyeing this for a while now. Dimarzio Distortion Pickups in the neighborhood of 65 bucks. I'm just not sure if it'll actually fit in there, I can't see it to compare sizes, and I don't have any woodworking tools.

That particular pickup is probably not a good choice since is has six pole pieces and they're smaller than usual. This one would probably work okay and this would likely work the best. The seven string version might be a good idea if you're thinking of putting it closer to the bridge where the spacing is wider. Also note that some closed-top active pickups like certain EMGs and possibly Blackouts have blade poles under the plastic, so they might work as well. But they would require additional electronics.

In terms of figuring out if it will fit, you can just grab any humbucker equipped guitar and make yourself a crude template of the pickup's footprint (with or without removing it). I've seen decent routers go for as little as $20 on my local craigslist so I recommend checking there periodically. That way you can enlarge your control cavity and make new pickup routs as needed. One application where guitar pickups will work well is as "mudbuckers", positioned right by the neck heel. Not a great sound on its own but it's an easy way to dial in retarded amounts of low end when you want it which, let's face it, you always will.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Ferrous Wheel posted:

That particular pickup is probably not a good choice since is has six pole pieces and they're smaller than usual. This one would probably work okay and this would likely work the best. The seven string version might be a good idea if you're thinking of putting it closer to the bridge where the spacing is wider. Also note that some closed-top active pickups like certain EMGs and possibly Blackouts have blade poles under the plastic, so they might work as well. But they would require additional electronics.

In terms of figuring out if it will fit, you can just grab any humbucker equipped guitar and make yourself a crude template of the pickup's footprint (with or without removing it). I've seen decent routers go for as little as $20 on my local craigslist so I recommend checking there periodically. That way you can enlarge your control cavity and make new pickup routs as needed. One application where guitar pickups will work well is as "mudbuckers", positioned right by the neck heel. Not a great sound on its own but it's an easy way to dial in retarded amounts of low end when you want it which, let's face it, you always will.

Even better, thanks! Now I can't wait for the money to come in.

Huns
Apr 27, 2004

True Grit
In Reason 4, how do you set up EQ/compression/whatever so that one instrument "dodges" another? For example, suppose you have some instruments and some voice, and you want the instruments to sort of fade to the background when the voice comes up so that the voice gets emphasis when it's active but the instruments are clear and present at all other times. I have tried carving up the EQ so that the voice is always clear, but since some instruments share the same frequency band, it sort of cuts back on how nice they sound. Compression helps, but it doesn't seem to be the best possible solution.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Huns posted:

In Reason 4, how do you set up EQ/compression/whatever so that one instrument "dodges" another? For example, suppose you have some instruments and some voice, and you want the instruments to sort of fade to the background when the voice comes up so that the voice gets emphasis when it's active but the instruments are clear and present at all other times. I have tried carving up the EQ so that the voice is always clear, but since some instruments share the same frequency band, it sort of cuts back on how nice they sound. Compression helps, but it doesn't seem to be the best possible solution.

What you're looking for is called sidechain compression (or "ducking").

Do a google search on "reason 4 sidechain compression" and you'll find a ton of tutorials.

Huns
Apr 27, 2004

True Grit

h_double posted:

What you're looking for is called sidechain compression (or "ducking").

Do a google search on "reason 4 sidechain compression" and you'll find a ton of tutorials.
I think I love you!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Has anyone tried Guitar Rig 4 yet? I'm getting so much more latency compared to 3.

Huns
Apr 27, 2004

True Grit

pennywisdom posted:

Has anyone tried Guitar Rig 4 yet? I'm getting so much more latency compared to 3.
Never used it, but Reason has a buffer length setting to compensate for latency. Do you have an ASIO sound card? Set it up to use the ASIO features. If you don't have ASIO and it has a buffer length setting, reduce it until you start to get stuttering and then bump it up a little.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

No problems here. I use it mostly with Ableton Live 7, with zero perceptible latency. With Sonar 8 I notice a little bit of latency, (couple of ms) but haven't really done any A/B comparisons between GR3 and GR4.

I HAVE noticed GR4 is more CPU intensive than 3, especially in high quality mode (which I think it is by default).

I'm running XP32 on a pretty beefy quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, using a Fireface 400 as the interface.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

This could conceivably deserve its own thread but I'm not sure so here it is:

What is a good novel bridge humbucker sized choice for an ugly, trashy sounding guitar with a loud neck pickup (guitar is an old roadstar, original bridge was the equivalent of a Dimarzio Super Distortion)? I've been looking at really trebly options (like the Dimarzio "Humbucker From Hell") but I'm pretty certain the neck pickup would drown most of them out. I'm also in the mood for something weird. Vintage Vibe makes a few candidates but most just look too classy. I like this Schaller thing, but I have no clue where to actually buy one and I also don't know that the output would be enough. Cat's Whisker makes some things that appeal to me, but nothing weirdo in humbucker size. Price is a bit of an issue but I might splurge on the right thing since the rest of the project isn't really costing anything.

It's the rare combination of quirky looks and an absolutely hideous amount of bite that I'm after. The half-invader was cool in a way but the string pull was just too much, and it was a little to far into the icepick realm. Plus looking at the way the thing was built just made me hate it. It's the physical result of saying yes to every idiotic demand made by 80s guitarists.

I'm not trying to rag on anyone who likes or uses the invader (except this guy). If the string pull were less pronounced and the whole design didn't turn me off I might have kept it.

Fake edit: The "own thread" would be about parts and gear that are just distinctly unusual in some way. The Cat's Whisker pickups are a good example, as are Fano guitars. I don't know how good a thread would be of stuff for people who just want something different but I think maybe it could be cool.

Real edit: Formatting :psyduck:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

One of these maybe?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlihupic.html

They come in black and gold too.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Hmmm. Alnico II and 12k of winding just might do the job. Especially in black, maybe chrome. I've been leaning toward a Duncan triple shot ring for phase and splitting options and the pro tubes have the leads for that as well. Thanks for the recommendation-- I'd been looking at retrotrons but totally overlooked these.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My amp has a line out that can be connected to a 8-16 ohm extension cabinet.

Might seem like a stupid question, but can I plug my headphones into this jack?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Captain Splendid posted:

My amp has a line out that can be connected to a 8-16 ohm extension cabinet.

Might seem like a stupid question, but can I plug my headphones into this jack?

I'm going to say no, given that that's outputting enough to run a cabinet. As far as I know, that'll blow your headphones pretty much instantly. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, though.

My question; do we have any sort of "Post your songs" thread? I know we have the post your sketches one, but a thread for general song feedback and sharing that isn't limited to sketches could be cool.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Hmmm. Alnico II and 12k of winding just might do the job. Especially in black, maybe chrome. I've been leaning toward a Duncan triple shot ring for phase and splitting options and the pro tubes have the leads for that as well. Thanks for the recommendation-- I'd been looking at retrotrons but totally overlooked these.

I thought it would be cool to buy a black one and a chrome one, and take them apart and put them back together to end up with a metallic "zebra" look. If they are like the lipstick I just put in the neck of my recent project guitar they are just bolted to the base plates. They are four conductor wire anyways so the coils are already split up.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

I don't think the zebra look is for me but it does appear that the GFS lipstick humbuckers are built that way. The same mod done across two pickups from a neck/bridge set would get you a set of mismatched coils, changing the frequency (and hum) cancellation characteristics of both. Putting the higher output coil closer to the neck of bridge would probably also have an audible result. Several big manufacturers sell asymmetric humbuckers so it could be fun.

I think the problem with my search is that I'm looking for tonal characteristics that big builders don't create intentionally. I wouldn't even want over-the-top harshness unless I had this novelty guitar. Of course I could have something custom done but that's pricey. I think the first thing to try will be to get a standard humbucker designed to brighten the neck position sound of big mahogany guitars (like the Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell) and use that in the bridge with a 1 meg pot. And maybe a switch that can bypass all volume controls.

If anyone has actually tried changing to a 1meg pot I'd like to know how big of a difference it makes in terms of frequency response and volume. Also if anyone has used the Lace Alumitone humbuckers I'd be interested to hear thoughts. I think using one of these and splitting it (although I don't know what gets split) might be a good look/sound combo. The few reviews I can find seem to indicate that it should be plenty loud and have lots of high end. Although apparently it makes distortion pedals act differently.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
I have an mp3 recording that seems to be damaged - at one point in the song, for about 1 second, it speeds up considerably. Can anyone recommend a program to fix this? I have Audacity, which can slow down songs, but I'm not sure if I would be able to find the correct speed manually to keep the rhythm even.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

I use Amadeus for all of my sample editing needs and I love it. It includes a very capable time/pitch shifting function which I've gotten a lot of mileage out of.

It will also do anything Audacity does but better.

Edit: Small question. I've begun to fingerpick more on electric and want to increase my scaling/stepwise ability some. To that end, I figure a book of banjo right hand technique might help. Left hand I'll obviously have to alter, along with string crossing in certain positions but that's hardly rocket science. So what would you banjo goons say is the most comprehensive and clear guide to banjo rolls? If someone has already adapted the technique for guitar in a thorough way that would interest me as well, but adapting will be part of the fun for me. And besides, I might pick up a banjo some day. :banjo:

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2010

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
I need someone to create sheet music based on a youtube video for me.

I'm willing to pay money. Please look at my SA-Mart thread if you are interested:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253252

Or tell people that might be interested about the thread. Thanks. :)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

I need someone to create sheet music based on a youtube video for me.

I'm willing to pay money. Please look at my SA-Mart thread if you are interested:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253252

Or tell people that might be interested about the thread. Thanks. :)

Man, you have to post this as school is starting up? Here's 4 measures. That'll be :20bux:.

(I'm joking about the money.)

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
This is not for school. What kind of school would make you transcribe videogame music into sheet music anyways?

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Hungry Gerbil posted:

This is not for school. What kind of school would make you transcribe videogame music into sheet music anyways?
Pretty sure he was saying that he himself is about to start school and thus would not have much time to tackle it, though he would be inclined to do so.

But to answer your question, it's entirely possible that a music teacher would ask you to compose your own song and bring it into class. Since most music teachers wouldn't know anything obscure like a video game song, it would be very easy to pass it off as something you wrote yourself. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but I've seen it done before.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Man, you have to post this as school is starting up? Here's 4 measures. That'll be :20bux:.

(I'm joking about the money.)

Gah! no offense dude, but you gotta learn some notation or get better software! TWO staves, man. Gotta use the grand staff for the piano. Also, that's not what the pianist is playing.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

Gah! no offense dude, but you gotta learn some notation or get better software! TWO staves, man. Gotta use the grand staff for the piano. Also, that's not what the pianist is playing.

You should learn to count. That's 4 bars.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

You should learn to count. That's 4 bars.
No poo poo. What's wrong is that it's 4 bars of treble clef instead of 4 bars of grand staff.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 12, 2010

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

CalvinDooglas posted:

Eh, you get what you pay for.

I used Powertab because, even though I've used GuitarPro for months now, I still know Powertab like the back of my hand, and I'm not going to attempt to obtain Finale or Sibelius by whatever methods for 4 measures, sorry. I started off with a grand staff, but everything on the bass side was up on the top ledger lines, so I just combined it into one staff.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

vvv this vvv

TylerK posted:

Pretty sure he was saying that he himself is about to start school and thus would not have much time to tackle it, though he would be inclined to do so.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Well ok. I see.

Anyways, I seem to already have gotten my sheet music. But I have to look at it more closely though. SA is really a fantastic forum. :)

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I need some help with connecting my guitar to the computer for Amplitube. I downloaded the Amplitube 2 Demo and I tried to use it with my guitar by using a double male-sided 1/8" cable plugged into the mic jack of my computer and plugged into the input jack on my guitar with a 1/4" adapter. I also tried using it this way from the headphone jack on my amp, since I was able to record some stuff like that before. Neither way works, though, and even though it'll record in, say, audacity, Amplitube just acts like there's nothing plugged in.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need plug it in with like a USB adapter?

edit: screw it demo ran out and i don't even really care anymore

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm biting the bullet with this question because I feel so dumb asking it. I'm decent with playing a guitar and purposes of recording but I never really got the basic understandings of it. I just learned songs. Two problems because this situation is getting to me:

1. My acoustic (basic $200 Alvarez thing) buzzes way too much when some strings are plucked (mostly the lowest 2 strings). Also, the sound is really bad even when things are tuned. There's no "life" to the thing anymore; it sounded fine when I got it new. Everything's in tune and the strings aren't that old on it. Any ideas?

2. I decided to re-string my Epiphone Dot for the first time since I got it from a pawn shop. Everything was fine with it prior to re-stringing it. In my infinite wisdom, I messed with the bridge height and now the strings hit the 1st pickup when playing above the 12th fret. I tried fixing it by heightening the bridge, but it still hits. Also, there's a huge gap on the strings from the board when playing above the 12th, to the point it's really hard to accurate finger the strings down. I never messed with the truss rod on the thing, unless it was messed with by the previous owner.

If I do decide to take the electric to a shop, how much am I expecting them to give it a glance over and a fix (I highly doubt it's anything serious)?