Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Here's a tip for people struggling to play certain songs by ear. I had this problem when I was trying to figure out how to play Close Encounters by Mogwai. Last night I was listening to it and I bumped my headphone cord out of the input just a little bit. The result was that strange inversion of one of the channels (or something like that) and the song sounded breathy and hollow. It's the lovely analog way of doing the "karaoke" effect where you mix out the vocals.

Anyway, it sounded like a raw, live recording and I was able to hear each instrument and its notes perfect and clear. To do this on a computer, open it up in a program such as Audacity, split the stereo track into two channels, and invert the left channel. I am currently tabbing the song out for myself with great ease.

Edit: But yeah, I mean I'm sure this is really stupid and pointless for technically skilled musicians. It's more for idiots like me who just play by ear and feeling.

John Blaster fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
So, wait I have a crate vintage 50 concert amp from the 70s that my friend gave me. I was always under the impression that it was bad rear end. It sure sounds loving bad rear end... but then again I'm not a pro musician, I don't think I quite have the experience to compare the sound to anything else really. It does have occasional problems I need to get fixed, but I had always been told that problems are inherent with tube amps. That true?