Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Just went to check out some fuzz pedals (specifically the EHX Big Muff and Visual Audio Mr Fuzz) to work with my new distortion pedal, but alas, they didn't do what I'm after.

Basically I'm going for a rather cold, raw tone, reminiscent of the guitars on Mayhem's 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' album - feral black metal, ultimately. I can get there, but only with a high gain and all the mids dropped out, the sweep focused around the bottom end. The issue here, is the loss of single note clarity. It's all white noise. Sounds fine for frenzied powerchord riffing, but any subtle single semitone/tone changes, and it's lost in the noise. The solution? Drop back the gain - lots.

But the issue here is, it also kills off the sound that is desired, taking me back to square one. I'm looking for something to bring back the dirt, whilst retaining the clarity, if that isn't too much of a contradition. A fuzz pedal seemed to be the go, but seems not. Just muddied everything up and sounded as though the speaker was being overloaded with low end shite. Apparently a suppressor of some description may be of assistance here - I'm also tempted to go the EQ route; to either wipe out the most prominent frequencies in the gain noise, or the mud with the distortion & fuzz pedals combined.

If any of this makes sense - is anyone able to make an alternative recommendation for something that may suit?

Cheers :)

... also, got a lovely Behringer compression rackmount unit to muck around with for my bass guitar. Generally better to put this sort of thing between the guitar and amp, or in the effects loop of the amplifier? I'm just somewhat concerned about putting it in the effects loop considering the signal strength seems to be dictated by the volume control - I really don't want to have to change the settings of the compressor with each change of the amplifier volume. Nor do I want to worry about overloading the thing after turning the amp up a bit. Probably obvious after what I've just said, but again, advice would be appreciated :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU