Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

CalvinDooglas posted:

Try changing the EQ on your amp to bring out the treble.

This is basically the whole raw BM sound, why weren't you doing this in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
He wants to sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqkdPMoQh0

The whole aesthetic is cranking the treble and dropping the bassist from the mix

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do cheap sets of nut files exist? I like to change string gauges and tunings on guitar and bass, StewMac wants $140 just for a set of files.

Something similar for fret files would be great as well.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
String gauges are already measured in inches :)

Yeah I've thought of going to a big hardware store with a bunch of StewMac printouts, might do that on the weekend. I'd really like a file(s) for fret work, sand paper can be really awkward to work with unless you glue it to something and then it has to replaced...
I don't know of any cheap places that do this, so I could save quite a bit if can do it at home. Shaping and filing a fret from a blank can't be more than an hour of work with the right tools, right? Ideally I'd like to be able to do full re-frets, but just crowning and levelling would do for now.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've widened nuts before using string ends and strings wrapped in sandpaper but better tool would make this much easier and give nicer results. I'll let you know how I get on, hopefully the StewMac stuff is rebranded and not exclusive to his site

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Thumposaurus posted:

Go by all the welding stuff and get a set of torch tip cleaners. They are round gauged files that work great as a cheap set of nut files for a one off project.

http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--Guitar-Nut-Files--PROD428
http://cgi.ebay.com/Norman-Guitar-N...=item439bc5e594

Found those online. The fact that the files can be bought from other sites suggests they are probably generic and could be found in a hardware store.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It looks like an Electrical Guitar Company but with a wood fretboard. The body is definitely two pieces that fit around a metal neck, you can see the seam running round the side

edit yep http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDoTiK8OKA0

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you're swapping both diodes then they go back to back, so each one will point in the opposite direction. It doesn't matter which is which as long as they are facing different directions.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

stairway to hippo posted:

Edit: ok, the "reverse," "feedback," "record" etc labeling on the PCB makes it looks like some kinda multipurpose thing after all...

The M430 is a microcontroller, it's possible they run different programs...

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
What's the advantage of having a brass nut on guitar? It looks like there was a trend of doing this in the late 70s, is it just a mojo thing or do open strings actually sound different?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Hurdy Gurdy Man posted:

Many apologies if this information is elsewhere and I overlooked it like a shithead, but I'm going to be visiting London (England, not Ontario) for a couple of weeks, and was wondering what music shops are worth checking out. I'm interested mostly in electric guitar gear, and am specifically looking into pedals and possibly a nice case for my Jazzmaster. Anyone in the London area have a favourite place for this kind of stuff? Thanks to anyone who can help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_Street

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The bridge posts on this guitar are crooked, is there anything I can do about this? Everything works as is, but a couple of the saddles are screwed all the way to the extremes to intonate correctly.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

the wizards beard posted:

The bridge posts on this guitar are crooked, is there anything I can do about this? Everything works as is, but a couple of the saddles are screwed all the way to the extremes to intonate correctly.

Managed to sort this out (I think). Stew-Mac sells a $20 tool to bend crooked bridge posts back, I improvised with an old elephant wrench and got things pretty straight.

I still need to replace the nut which is pretty stubborn. The previous owner broke the nut so that the lowest slot sheared off to the side and it was repaired by building up the missing piece with superglue(!) Any help on removing a stuck nut? I've tried tapping from the sides with no luck, might try and heat the area and see if any glue starts to melt.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I did score the varnish around the nut, but in the end I had to take a hammer and chisel and chip it out. It came out in chunks and was pretty easy except for the last few bits of plastic stuck in the corner that I had to sand out. The finish wasn't harmed but that wasn't a huge concern as the guitar is already fairly battle-worn.

I threw a new nut in there and widened the slots, didn't bother gluing it, and did a very quick set-up so I could try it out. Really enjoying my new guitar, getting this thing back into a working state was a lot of fun :)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Thumposaurus posted:

They are slanted as it relates to the frets, but look at his picture. The insert for the bridge post is slanting forward noticeably. From what he says he fixed it already.

I did fix it, but now that the guitar is strung up and getting played again it looks like the bridge is starting to lean forward slightly... I might have to pull the studs, dowel the holes and re-drill. I'm going to wait and see, I might end up replacing the bridge completely. It's a shame as I really like how it's playing, it needs a little truss rod adjustment but otherwise it's perfect for me.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
An iPod? I've seen quite a few bands just use their personal mp3 players, it's probably a good idea to go with something you're already familiar with.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Sorry, my iPod is running Rockbox so I'm used to it being very configurable. You could consider buying an older compatible mp3 player and running Rockbox.

https://www.rockbox.org

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do decent, cheap, earplugs exist? I have a cheapo set of Hearos Jam Sessions that I don't like wearing that sound like poo poo, is there anything between this and custom plugs?

e: The ones I have are foam, are the plastic/gel ones any clearer?

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 11, 2010

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I can't find Etymotic stuff in Europe but Elacin seem to be the same thing, thanks guys.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You can't drop things into or step on the speaker cones.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I'd suggest you swap the tubes earlier in the pre-amp before messing with the phase inverter.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Boz0r posted:

In the first solo of this song, he's playing what sounds like a whole note bend from the 24th fret of the high e-string. As he's playing a Gibson Les Paul which I believe only has 22 frets, how does he do this? Is there some kind of trick like fretting the pickup or something?

He bends the neck. Or more likely, the LP is for ridiculous music vids and he used something else when recording.