Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Friction, I have an Ampeg 4x12 that the grill is a frame that the cloth is stretched over and fits very tightly into the front of the cabinet.
A simple pull and it comes right out, but it's tight enough that it won't fall out all by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

I've widened nuts before using string ends and strings wrapped in sandpaper but better tool would make this much easier and give nicer results. I'll let you know how I get on, hopefully the StewMac stuff is rebranded and not exclusive to his site

Go by all the welding stuff and get a set of torch tip cleaners. They are round gauged files that work great as a cheap set of nut files for a one off project.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

All of the instructions are available on GGG's site. You don't even need to order the board/kit if you can handle etching the PCB/sourcing parts yourself.
The kits just make it easy to one stop shop.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is it the adapter that would have come stock with it, or is it one that was just laying around at the Goodwill?
Double check the polarity, and the mA rating. Sometimes electronics can be picky about the power they are getting.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

One of these maybe?
http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsprlihupic.html

They come in black and gold too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Hmmm. Alnico II and 12k of winding just might do the job. Especially in black, maybe chrome. I've been leaning toward a Duncan triple shot ring for phase and splitting options and the pro tubes have the leads for that as well. Thanks for the recommendation-- I'd been looking at retrotrons but totally overlooked these.

I thought it would be cool to buy a black one and a chrome one, and take them apart and put them back together to end up with a metallic "zebra" look. If they are like the lipstick I just put in the neck of my recent project guitar they are just bolted to the base plates. They are four conductor wire anyways so the coils are already split up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

scuz posted:

Man, I'm dumb. I thought it'd be really tough to track this poo poo down, but mojo music supply has all that stuff, too.

Anyways, now to get to learning the step-by-step so I can get windin'!

Check this out as a little how to.
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0036_custompkup.hzml

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Radioshack irons are handy for beginners, and you can get concentric pots from places like Allparts and Parts-express.

The tips on Radioshack irons suck and will eat themselves up in no time even with moderate use.
If you're going to order things from Parts-Express anyways just add this in.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-100

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Leck posted:

I'm looking at replacing the pickups in my Ibanez AM-73 (semi-hollowbody). How much of a necessity is it to replace the electronics apart from the pickups? I understand that pickup replacement is a pain in the rear end, and if I wouldn't see much benefit from replacing the pots, I'd prefer to tear things up as little as possible.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only reason you might consider it is if you are switching from say humbuckers to single coils.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the bridge posts on gibsons are supposed to be crooked. do you mean the tailpiece posts? those are usually parallel to the frets

They are slanted as it relates to the frets, but look at his picture. The insert for the bridge post is slanting forward noticeably. From what he says he fixed it already.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Crudus posted:

I want the instrument to look and be timbrally (sp?) similar to a shamisen, but amplified. As such, I probably wont use an ordinary fretboard, but something fretless. However, I am mindful that the string spacing will need to be careful in order to take advantage of the poles like I want to.

As for "rail" style pickups, do these have the same humming problems single-coils do? I was actually planning on using a humbucking setup, but that info wasn't really relevant to my split-pole question. Would I need to have two rails at reverse polarity to achieve the same effect?

There are rail-style humbuckers that fit in a single coil hole.

A rail style single coil would have some hum it is just the nature of the design of single coil pick ups.

Lipstick style pickups don't have pole pieces either the wire is wound around the magnet inside the tube so it should act like a rail would in case you want another option to look into.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you want a little more protection than nothing but not as much as that thing look into a slipcover.
Like this here:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0050279000

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

4MS is a pretty cool company, they have kits for their stuff, as well as enough documentation on the projects that if you can make your own PCB's you can do it yourself completely. They also recently started offering the projects in the modular synth style modulus.
http://www.4mspedals.com/

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Concatenation posted:

Does anyone remember the address of that site that does custom guitar string sets? I've mixed and matched gauges to set up one of my guitars properly and I'd like to custom order a new set.

http://www.juststrings.com/ ?
They have singles in any gauge available anyways.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Three Red Lights posted:

Can anyone recommend a midi floorpedal? Basically I want to be able to play back samples with a footpress.

Tech 21 Midi Mouse
That's probably about as small/simple as you can get.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Three Red Lights posted:

Would that send notes though? or just change patches?

You said you wanted to play back samples, the buttons let you scroll through the patches, and the other one is the trigger. So you click through to the sample you want off of your keyboard/sampler/whatever and then hit the trigger button to play it.

I forgot about the MIDI Buddy.
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MP128
Should be able to pick one up cheap on ebay.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

not a dinosaur posted:

Because literally the only maple body guitar I can find is some baritone ESP guitar

I was looking at a Godin maple body guitar but then I read they use silver-leaf maple which is just a mahogany analogue?? Do I care about this too much? I just wanna pump the mids

For your $800-$1200 budget you might be able to swing getting a custom Carvin built.
At least that way you'd be able to get it with the exact body woods and all you want.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Is there a decent way to paint a pickguard that won't look like rear end or cause weird textures or anything? I can't find quite what I'm looking for online, though I've found things that will work. I'd like to give a go at just painting the thing though if it can be done quickly (I'm horribly impatient) and effectively. I'm worried about regular paints coming off when they're struck by the pick and having a weird texture, and I don't know about rattlecanning it.

It's a white pickguard for a black Standard Stratocaster and I'm looking for a dark purple or midnight blue. If it can't be done well though I'll get a black pickguard and go for the Gilmour look I guess.

Has anyone ever painted a pickguard before? Any tips? Should I start a new thread for this?

Krylon Fusion works on plastics great.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Those can all be relied upon to fit the neck pocket? That would be very convenient if true.

Refretting this one would be a little harder than usual because the fret tangs were left in as lines. I don't even know how but they were. I actually really like it as a fretless and the neck doesn't seem too warped, but some of the rattling I hear might be trussrod. I'm also thinking of restringing with nylon tape-wound strings to reduce the tension on the neck even more.

I just figured it would be easier if I could buy a new neck to make it more playable and stable for the time being, and put the original back on whenever the time came. The pickup is the one part I have no interest in returning to original, since the original was bullshit. My current plan is a Dimarzio BC-2. The look is relatively close to the old closed-cover strat pickups so I won't feel too bad.

And I do plan to hang onto it, which is why putting in decent tuners wouldn't bother me all that much. I want to be able to play this thing all the time.

If you want a full custom neck I know a guy who can build you anything you want.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I was trying to avoid the expense of a hand built custom job but go ahead and give me his deets in case I decide to go that way. The most likely outcome if it's unplayable is a Mark Sandman style slide thingie- worse things could happen to a guitar really.

His e-mail is Jre_productions@yahoo.com Look for a guy by the name of Joe Desperado on the ReRanch forums and TDPRI if you want to see some of the necks he's built for others.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Coupon Wizard posted:

My B and high E string on my mexican tele constantly go out of tune, especially if I bend them. It's easily remedied by pushing on the strings behind the nut (this brings them back up to the correct pitch every time), but it is really starting to annoy me. How do I stop this problem from happening?

Lube your nut.

There are products you can buy for it, but you can just simply rub a pencil in the slot and that should help too.
While you are at it check that the slots don't have any burrs in them that is causing the binding.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Anyone got any strap lock recommendations? And are those collars that fit over the screw worth the plastic they're made of?

I have a set of these on a build I did last year, so far so good with them.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/REDESIGNED-Chrome-Strap-Locks-Pair-Straplok-style-HEAVY-DUTY--In-Stock_p_598.html

There is always the washer from a Grolsch beer bottle too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The bottles it comes in have a little flip top instead of a regular bottle cap.

It is sealed with a red rubber washer that just so happens to be the perfect size to fit on a strap button to hold a strap in place.
Like so:

(not my pic, just random GIS)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Specter posted:

Was digging through my pop's pile of "got it for 5 bucks at a swap meet" and dug out most of a Sherwood lap steel which has had some pretty questionable things done to it by a previous owner.
I'm sucker for a project and it looks easily fixable but the pickup definitely needs replacement and from what I've found that will run better than a 100 bucks which is a bit too much for something done on a whim.
Just gutting it and tossing the wood in a bonfire doesn't seem right, anyone have a good alternative?

Post pictures of it, depending on the pickup there could be people out there willing to buy it for parts.
What makes you think the pickup needs replaced anyways?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It would probably affect the sound some.
There are "beam blockers" that do that same sort of thing cover up part of the speaker, to change how much it projects.

A stencil sprayed on the grill might be better as far as sound goes, but would be more permanent.
Get some other grill cloth and take the stock one off and stash it away and stretch the new one over the opening and then paint that.
That way you can return it to stock anytime if you decide to sell it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Since it is already butchered up I agree with the GFS recommendation.
You can make the tuners less wonky just plug up the holes with some toothpicks and glue and put a straight edge along them to line them up and re-drill the holes.

It probably had some terrible 3 on a plate tuners originally.
From a quick googling about it looks like the original pick-up was a rail style single coil. The pick up that is there might even be fine just not wired right or not sounding right because it is not lined up correctly.
No harm in opening it up to check and see, if it is a name brand pick up you might even break even if you swap it out and sell the old one on eBay.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

F spaced is the poles are set a little wider mostly for guitars with trems.

DiMarzio FAQ posted:

What is F-spacing?
All of our full-size humbuckers except the X2N® are available in two polepiece spacings. F-spacing refers to the wider of the two spacings. For proper string alignment and balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater. On these guitars, if the nut width is 1-11/16” (43 mm) or greater, F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position as well.
Why are there two different spacings?
A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn’t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.
How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

welp i gave it three days and didn't really get any comments here, so i went and bought:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=190468454994&Category=41407&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1#ht_3659wt_1139

brass sustain block. Can't wait to to switch out my pot-metal one with this baby. It looks twice the size. If this doesn't help out with sustain, I think nothing will.

e: a question though: that retainer bar he screwed into it, is that the same one that's on the headstock, to keep the strings from detuning when you lock them at the nut? Why did he put that there?

No it's not the same as on the headstock.
That bar is there to hold the springs in the block. I've never had it happen but if you get too aggressive with the bar the springs could pop out of the block. That bar will prevent it from happening.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Boz0r posted:

What are some important things to look out for when buying normal jack-cables? And can anyone recommend some good/cheap ones?

Cheaper ones aren't always worth it if you are going to be gigging with them. Planet Waves, Monster Cable, Spectraflex, and some others I'm sure all offer lifetime replacement warranties I wouldn't really consider anything that wasn't covered by something similar. You might pay a little more up front, but when you step on the cord and rip the jack off the end it's nice to be able to just take it to the nearest dealer and swap it out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Use toothpicks and wood glue to plug the holes, that way you are drilling into wood not just a lump of glue or filler.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

rockcity posted:

Also does anyone have any experience painting a guitar? I'm thinking of trying to do matte black, but that's always seemed like a tough paint style to get right to me.

Getting a matte finish is tough because your prep work, and spraying have to be perfect since you can't sand/buff/polish it like you can a gloss finish and have it look right.
Black is even worse because it shows every little imperfection.

You'll have to block sand your body really well.
You can get satin finish clear Minwax makes a really great one it comes in black spray cans, most every Home Depot will carry it.
Come over to the ReRanch forums and ask your question there and you'll get a ton more information than I can type out right now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

rockcity posted:

Awesome, thanks for that link. You were the person I was hoping would answer my question. Your guitar from scratch build thread in DIY was amazing.

Sweet, it's honestly not hard to get a great finish you just have to be patient and take your time. The prep work is the big key if you skimp out there it will telegraph through the finish.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is pretty decent, but it is biased towards SD pick-ups of course.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/how_to_pick_a_pickup.pdf

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Seventh_Samurai posted:

I had a crazy/potentially awesome idea today. I have one of these that I never play since getting an acoustic guitar that I like better. I've got a lovely acoustic pickup it right now, but had the idea to go all out and put a humbucker in there, wire up a volume knob and a jack and essentially turn it into some kind of hosed up acoustic-electric/hollowbody monstrosity.

How well would this set up work? Would I need to find a way to ground the strings or could I just wire up everything and then put it in? Would it feedback like crazy and make it unplayable in a live setting? Is this entire idea crazy and should I just quit being cheap and buy an actual acoustic electric?

I did it recently with one of my cheapie acoustics and it worked fine.
I was able to mount it directly to the sound hole by stacking up two humbucker rings and sandwiching the edge of the hole between them.
I had just wired it directly to an enclosed jack taped to the side of the guitar.
I didn't ground the strings at all, if you were using a single coil the hum might be a problem but it was fine with a humbucker.

I only played with it in my bedroom and it would feed back really easy, but as long as you didn't let the strings vibrate it was fine.
The first thing I played on it was "Cat Scratch Fever", it was perfect for that sound.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The right way to fix it would require pulling the frets gluing in the new inlays and sanding them level to the board.
I could be done with out pulling the frets and refretting, but it is a pain in the rear end especially at the higer frets.
You have to sand with the grain in between the frets.
You might be able to do it with some careful pre-sanding to thickness and then scraping level with a razor blade.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

codyclarke posted:

I have a fender twin reverb, and I wanna get a power attenuator for it. Probably gonna get the THD Hot Plate. The problem is they come in a variety of 'ohms': 2, 2.7, 4, 8, and 16. How do I find out which one I need to buy? And also, are power attenuators difficult to setup and use? I have no experience with them.

You need the one that matches the output of your amp.
Look on the back of it it should say.
They just plug in between the amp and the speakers and that's pretty much it.
I do believe they get pretty hot while in use so might want to make sure it has plenty of airflow around it.
Some people say the Hot Plates color the sound of the amp somewhat, so you might want to try and find a place you could try one out in person before you commit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

UrethraFranklin posted:

How much would a 1992 SG Junior go for? It's in good condition except for the back of the neck where it meets the headstock. The head got cracked off and it was home-repaired. The Truss rod is functional though, and it's set straight and plays fine, it's just an ugly looking repair.

Sorry for the lack of pics, some quick guesstimates would really help me out.

Gibson? or Epiphone? I'm guessing Gibson since the headstock broke.
SG resale value isn't that great unfortunately maybe $400-$600 as a rough range.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

First gig ever tonight! Had an absolute loving blast and the audience loved it.

One slight problem. It's winter here in Melbourne (AKA: loving cold). For the first song, my fingers were REALLY loving cold and frozen. This meant my picking\fretting was sloppy. I cant play with gloves on so what CAN I do?
if it was just for the first song some warmup exercises back stage should help. You should be warming up before playing anyways.
Or get some fingerless gloves.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

Once we had all our gear loaded up on-stage, I was running through scales and stuff with the amp on standby so nobody could hear me. Also, it was only my fingers that had frozen, not my hands so I dont know if fingerless gloves will help. I'll try it though. Any other suggestions?

Stick your hands down your pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I wanted to make a guitar more prone to feedback. Will opening it up and removing the shielding help that? Or does the removal of the shielding just make it more prone to buzzing sounds and interference? The guitar I want to do this to is a MIM Strat. I've even been considering replacing the pickups with some from an old Silvertone/Teisco type guitar to get a feedbacky kind of sound.

The lead guitar in this song is a pretty good representation of the kind of sound I want to make: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rR6vzsqF88

Removing the shielding will just make it noisier(not in a good way) it might even start picking up radio signals(that can be kinda cool).
If you want more feed back stand closer to the amp and turn it up louder.