Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
Looking for any opinions on semi-pro or at least "something to work with" microphones to record guitar and bass for a completely DIY whatever-core album. In the past I've had to deal with too many half-assers who want to record when I don't and then want to mic the guitars with SM58's and mic the bass with a kick drum mic, and as much as I think I know, I don't really know poo poo about recording equipment. The guitar setup starts out pretty decent on my end, Gibson Firebird Studio and Gibson SG Standard, both in good shape, Bad Cat Hot Cat 100 and Peavey Triple XXX going through two separate Marshall 1960's. Bass, unfortunately, is going to be whatever we can come up with plus that Boss Overdrive pedal.

Since I tend to just buy expensive poo poo and hope it sounds good (which I'm starting to get better at) and the rest of the band that just half-asses everything may actually just get kicked out rather than poo poo up my decent guitar playing, I'm hoping someone can offer up a couple suggestions as to what instrument mics can provide more to start with. I'm the sole songwriter and I know a solid recording starts with solid performance (which is why the 2nd guitarist and bassist probably won't be on this), I've just never been on the recording side of things so I'm looking for ideas on a slightly more bang-for-buck wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
What's the best way to program drums in this day and age? In the past I've always applied a soundfont of the drums I want to a MIDI instrument, made the drums with a notation program, then played the file and recorded in Audition to make demo tracks.

Now I'm getting ready to record an album and I need a program with which to write drum tracks, apply samples, be able to insert various triplets and tempo changes within the song (aka not Fruity Loops) and export individual drums to .wav. The old way I made drums would take loving FOREVER if I had to notate the drums onto 12 different staff and record each one in real time!

By the way, my music is complex metal/rock/whatever core, not electronic-type stuff.