Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Ok dumb reverb tank replacement question. Are tank reverbs universally able to be swapped out just by disconnecting the plugs and putting in the new tank, or are there some reverb tanks that you need to solder in? The one on my Blues Jr. just unplugs and I'm wondering if that is the industry standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

(btw I've actually got a Music Man Sixty-Five 210 (65W, 2 10" spkrs, very imaginative name) that's basically the Music Man version of the Twin I'm looking to sell)

those are the greatest loving amps. how much you want?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

At what cumulative dollar mark should I look to insure my guitars? I don't play out a ton, so I'm not terribly worried about theft, and I make sure temp/humidity in my house is at friendly levels. Anyone insure here? How much would you estimate the worth of your insured gear at?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

So I'm moving overseas, need to buy a travel-sized guitar that can get beat up. This leaves me basically with (as far as I can tell) the options of a Baby Taylor or a Little Martin. Which should I get? Or is there an elusive fourth option <$400 I can get?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

Palm muting seems to be very important for playing anything with lots of gain, I've noticed. Experiment with your hand position, as the closer you move your palm away from the bridge, the more you'll mute the strings. I think the answer to your question is to be found therein. Experiment with your hand placement and the different levels of muting. Try putting your palm really close to the bridge, then play your string, and notice how it still sounds out. Move your hand closer to the neck and it'll just make a 'plunk' sound. I think that part is supposed to be played muted anyway.

Yeah I'm 90% Satch PMs that and a good deal of that intro - I had a tab for it in a guitar world back in high school that I remember having a lot of palm muting throughout the intro.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Concatenation posted:

This is going to be some sort of lead-in to a lecture about how I haven't learned how to play guitar properly if I need to mark the frets, isn't it?

Yes.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

moctopus posted:

Does anyone have any book suggestions for theory? In a perfect world it would have exercises or something.

I really dislike having to look at a web page for this sort of thing. I guess if there is an incredible site with exercises or questions or activities I'd be interested in knowing about that too.

I'm learning guitar if that matters.

For guitar-centric chord theory you can't do much better than Ted Greene's stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Chord-Chemistry-Ted-Greene/dp/0898986966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344943192&sr=8-1&keywords=ted+greene

and

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Chord-...ords=ted+greene

and finally

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Guitar-Single-Soloing-Volume/dp/0769209726/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344943192&sr=8-3&keywords=ted+greene

Ted Greene has literally forgotten more about guitar than most of us will ever learn. He's no longer with us but there's a website up with a lot of his lessons and stuff on it that is also very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Wasn't there a ukelele thread? Can't find it, could someone link me?

e: NM finally tracked it down. In case anyone else is wondering:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690439

butros fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 30, 2014