Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Why is it that "Ordinary World" by Valerie June can have her singing what sounds like a quarter-tone sharp in the chorus, and I find that compelling, whereas Billy Joel doing the same thing on "Mony Mony" drives me up the frickin wall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yc4vdf7dNQ

I assume she's doing this deliberately, and that she's just one of those musicians with a killer sense of pitch who can intentionally sing a quarter-tone sharp live. I just don't get the theory behind why this isn't pissing me off.

e: I'm listening to more of her stuff; on "Astral Plane" she's very consistently out of tune with the rest of the band on only the 7th scale degree. And this tune has her singing the 7th scale degree *a lot*. It makes me think she's actually singing a blue note, and this is just what you get with even-temperament backing band. I think Jacob Collier has ruined me.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jestery posted:

Out of the box solution, but the aeropress PuckPuck drip counter will give you a BPM in a pinch if it's on IOS

:aaa:

I gave up on "tap tempo" things and just use a regular metronome app and my l33t DJ beat matching skillz. I could never mash my finger into the glass consistently.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

By the time they're running ads for whatever scheme they've discovered will make money, it's too late for you, the artist, to make any money from it.

Actual money might still be made by somebody, but you're unlikely to get any of it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

I got a stupid question regarding MIDI, I've noticed some MIDI tracks have percussion parts that go from note F7 to note C8 (between notes 89 and 96 respectively) that not a single one of my soundfonts has any samples for, as well as a lack of samples for G#1 and A1 (Notes 20 and 21 that I have never seen be used. I have soundfonts that cover the rest of those notes in percussion just fine, so for the majority of songs I have imported into FL Studio I don't have a problem selecting a soundfont that works with them, but for these tracks in particular (Darkseed 2's midis are a perfect example of what I mean) I have no idea what instruments are supposed to correspond to these notes. Obviously they have to go to something, but there isn't a single documented instrumentation standard I can find that includes these notes at all. What am I missing here? Does anyone know what these notes correspond to?

Example shown below, the highlighted notes I have no idea what they are.

Notes don't have to map to particular drums, it's just a convention. Maybe they had some weird sample of, like, a rubber mallet hitting a package of uncooked spaghetti in a 20 gallon copper kettle, and figured G#1 was as good as anything else.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

So here's a loving insane question.

:hmmyes:

I. M. Gei posted:

How can I best emulate the sound of a piano using only marching wind instruments?

My second thought about this question is that you're going to be hard pressed to emulate a piano's attack sound with wind instruments. It's just a fundamentally different profile.

My third thought is that maybe you could lash a dozen or so clarinets to each other, then string some piano wire from the mouthpieces to the bells, then strike it with a thumb rest.

My fourth thought is that you could get a couple hundred (thousand?) clarinets, which produce sound that's sort of close to a sine wave, and tune them all *just so*, in order to reproduce the complex waveform created by a note on a piano. A fast Fourier transform will help you figure out what to tune everything to, and how hard each clarinet player should blow. Precision is going to be very important here, you'll need players who can toot out a very stable pitch and have immaculate breath control.

I don't have a personal problem with clarinets, they just happen to be made of wood and used in marching bands.

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 15, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I like tofurkey on thanksgiving :colbert:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Harminoff posted:

So I want to get into drumming and currently have an old Xbox ion drum rocker.

Are the pads on this pretty good, in which just geting a different "brain" would make it comparable to say an alesis nitro, or should I just splurg and get the nitro (and maybe the mesh?)

Mostly would be used for yarg and ezdrummer.

Hi! One of my side projects is reverse-engineering Rock Band drums and guitars, and then building new ones from scratch!

The pads are not what a drummer would call "good". However, it strikes me as a fabulous way to decide if you really actually want to get into kit drumming, because it still uses a lot of the same dexterity you'd need on a more realistic kit.

Because it goes over USB, the latency on this kit is going to be pretty bad. You won't want to lay down your own tracks with it, or play it with a live band. My advice to you is to play a lot of Rock Band, actually. As these things go, it's not awful training. There's a new (free) thing called Clone Hero that you can use if you no longer own Rock Band: it runs on PC and Android so you may even be able to get it working on a smart TV.

Once you've nailed a number of songs in expert mode, you'll probably know whether you're ready to step up. And I would guess you're going to want to step right past the Alesis, which, while not bad, is solidly an entry-level kit that you would want to move away from anyway.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Harminoff posted:

There is a lot of ghost hits however it you use Max force, so I'll need to add a debounce.

Any info that you have that would help would be much appreciated though!

Yeah, I mean, it's a toy. I'm pretty sure the software does a degree of debouncing, but I had to debounce my drums in the controller firmware too. Drums bounce *a lot*.

I jotted down a bunch of disjointed notes at https://git.woozle.org/neale/mockband/src/branch/main/docs/tech-notes.md. A lot of what I discovered is captured in the source code, but I'd be happy to help you out with your driver, even if you just need a sounding board.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It's pretty common to put a Zener diode on the circuit board as insurance against overvoltage. When you send too much, the diode blows and fails closed, which makes it a short circuit.

If you can find a schematic, you should check for a Zener diode right next to where the power comes in. If not, you may be able to find it by physically inspecting the board, looking for a diode. It'll probably be a through-hole component, like with legs; not the little black squares / pieces of pepper that look like they are glued on to one side.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell whether a diode is dead without removing it from the circuit, but you only have to remove one leg. Then you get a continuity tester (I think I posted a link to a cheap one earlier ITT) and see if it passes current both ways: put the leads on each leg, then switch which leg the leads are on. A diode is only supposed to pass current in one direction. If it passes current in both configurations, you've found the blown diode! You'll need to replace it with one rated for the same voltage, I'm guessing 9 volts for a guitar effects pedal.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

Diodes only cost literal cents, it's not worth the time to get the multimeter out, just swap it. 1N4001 are used in most circuits for this job.

It's more about the inconvenience of ordering one of every type of diode in the circuit. For hobby projects, I start with the assumption that the hobbyist's time costs nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I use BandLab :smug:

It's good enough for the songs I write about people's pets. And the best part is that it hardly does anything at all, forcing me to stick to making the drat song instead of screwing around with the software.