Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

cat doter posted:

This reminds me, where would be a good place to buy after market necks? I wanna grab a 22 fret american strat neck to replace my mexi strat neck.
eBay.

EDIT: Pick your poison:

http://goo.gl/2y2t
http://goo.gl/jk8p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Is there any particular reason that MusiciansFriend has Superior Drummer 2.0 for so god drat cheap? It's literally half the price that Sweetwater sells it for, plus they're including a midi pad and flash drive. If there's nothing wrong with this I'll crank out the credit card, but it seems fishy to me. Maybe I'll call them when they open up later.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm fixing to buy a set of studio monitors (loving finally), and I'm not sure on how to go about using them as normal speakers. I want to run my computer's output, interface's output, a metronome, and maybe an iPod or something through them. Is a line mixer (particularly this one) the way to go for something like this?

e: dumbquestion snoipe

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Concatenation posted:

I had a frantic 5 minutes troubleshooting my pedalboard last night at jams, it turned out the vocalist had accidentally dragged a cable across it and it'd turned my Decimator noise reduction knob all the way up. Do you guys use anything to make sure that your pedal dials don't accidentally get knocked around? I'm paranoid that this might happen at a show.

ballgameover.mp3 said it all basically, but I'd also recommend marking the location of each knob with a permanent marker in case you don't want to duct tape it.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Regular_John posted:

I'll give $10 to anyone who can tab this song out for me. I am a guitar noob and no way I can figure this out but I love the hell out of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh6ioy6EOI0

That song is hard to tell because that guitar is out of tune in god knows what way. From what I can tell most of the strings are sharp, but some could be flat, and lord knows what tuning he's using.

That said, I gave it my best shot by using Amplitube to detune the guitar 35 cents sharp on the pitch shifter pedal, and these are the chords I have:

e--------------------------------
b--------------------------------
G----8------3-----8-------------
D----8------3-----8----8--------
A----9------4-----6----8--------
E---(7)-----2-----------6--------

Get a cheapo classical, leave it in your trunk for a couple of days and then play around liberally.

(please don't pay me money)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5VwPfyEq3w

how does he get those dead x notes to sound so 'chk'-y? Mine sound far less accentuated and are sometimes inaudible.

palm muting, delay, magic.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
It should be noted that John Petrucci almost exclusively uses digital delays, which explains why the delayed notes are indistinguishable from the played notes. He also has an always-on compressor that changes from time to time (nowadays it's a TC something or other, but it used to be a dbx 266).

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

the Bunt posted:

so, I'm learning a song and I've come upon an arpeggio sweep that is bugging me.

Now, I have a bitch of a time stretching from the G to the A# using my middle finger and pinky respectively. I've picked up a habit that makes it a little easier to play. I use my pointer finger to play the G, and hammer-on to the A#. Only problem is I have to slide into the G from the D note on the lower string, effectively playing both consecutive notes with the same finger. I dunno how to word it any better so I hope you get what I mean.

Is this a bad habit?

In classical notation, the fretting hand fingers are labeled like this:

1 - Index
2 - middle
3 - ring
4 - pinky

The arpeggio you posted should be played 4 2 1 2 4 1 2 4, and there is no hammer-on (there would be a slur there). You shouldn't have any trouble stretching from the 2 to 4, and without seeming like an rear end in a top hat, I honestly can't figure out how you could. :confused:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

the Bunt posted:

The way I was doing it before was like 4 2 1 1 4 1 2 4. So I'm guessing yeah, not such a good habit?

It's fine, but unless those sixteenth notes are at ~80bpm, I imagine you'd just be making it harder on yourself.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
If I purchased a BOSS Dr. Beat DB-90, how would I go about sending a MIDI tempo map to it that I could practice with? Obviously, I'd have to connect it to my MIDI interface, but would I use REAPER? What exactly would I have to do?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
If I'm mixing in a regular home bedroom, are 8" monitors overkill?

EDIT: I think this room is 12' x 12'.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 16, 2010

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Ireneo Funes posted:

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I might possibly want to run through an Avatar 4x12. Will anything blow up?

Not if you match impedances. Check your manual.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Should I keep my monitors at a low or high volume? I have my computer/interface running through a mixer and the monitors connected to that, and it can go either way, the monitor volume simply determines how far the knob turns, but the volume is the same either way.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Popcorn posted:

Are you REALLY supposed to write EZDrummer tracks by memorizing what each of the midi keys do? I'm using Ableton.

You could just properly write out your drum tracks in MIDI format.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Achtane posted:

I'm never going to use the battery snap -- can I omit it and the pedal will work fine, or will I have to wire it differently to make up for the lack of the battery snap being wired in?
You can omit the snap, it's not even attached to the PCB.

Achtane posted:

also, would 2 green LEDs wired together be usable instead of a single red? Obviously I'm not keen on electronics yet...
Yes, but they will definitely be dimmer. Most LEDs have one leg that is longer than the other, so when you wire them together, you'll have to take LED1's long leg and solder it to LED2's short leg. Wire the rest accordingly. (On the PDF you linked to, the longer leg is visible, and attached to a purple wire.)

Hope this helps. :)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Any help?

I'd play the first four bars this way, hopefully that would give you some insight into how to play the rest.

(PA)IMPIM | (PA)IMPIM | (PA)(IA)PIM | P(IA)(PA)M

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
As much as I should probably know better, I'm going to ask for the sake of my own sanity.

A Carvin V3M with a 1x12 cabinet would be loud enough to play with a drummer, correct? I'm basically certain it would be fine for gigging, but I'm not sure the 50w @ 1x12 is going to be enough to hear myself over a drummer. If it weren't enough, would a 2x12 suffice, or would I have to up the wattage?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I want to buy a rack case that is only 12" deep. There's a 20" version available for $80 more. Would I be fine with the 12" version? The longest thing that I plan on buying is 9.2" deep. A quick glance at every rack device that has ever interested me shows the longest one of them by far is the Eleven Rack at 13.5" but I don't plan on buying that ever.

Alternatively, the two racks I've mentioned so far are shockmount racks. Are they necessary, or is it perfectly okay to, say, gig locally with a regular old rack?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
So I really, really want to get the EHX RTG, but I have questions about how it should be connected. I know it's probably meant to be used with DJs or something who have multiple inputs and what not, but if I wanted to have it on a pedalboard and just plug it into a regular guitar amp, could I just plug it in via a Y-Cable, or would that wreak havoc on my tone? Alternatively, would a TBP looper be able to facilitate it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Does anybody have suggestions for resources on MIDI? I'm trying to make something that I think should be pretty simple to do that would have a MIDI input, but everything I can find on utilizing MIDI focuses mostly on output and controllers. I still can't manage to find anything on the fundamentals of exactly how MIDI works. The official foundation webpage seems to focus on things like MIDI Tracks, and not too much of the underlying tech. There are kits, too, but most of them are ~$50 or more, and I'm almost certain that what I want to do would only require a $5-ish chip and some rough Assembly.

Help?