Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm wondering about the tone knobs on my MIM Stratocaster. As I understand they control the middle and neck pick-ups but they seem to only have basically two settings, on and off. Is this the way it's supposed to be or is it just my strat that's bummed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
What should a music theory beginner learn and know by heart to have a good solid foundation?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

All of it.

Ok, I'll crack on then. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

h_double posted:

Really understand how chords and scales relate to one another, how chords are built out of scale tones. Understand how a formula like "I ii iii IV V vi viidim" works, how it relates to modes (Ionian, Dorian, etc.), and why the keys of C major and A minor both share the same notes. Understand how the circle of fifths works and how key signatures are constructed.

Also do some ear training and play a lot of scales on your instrument of choice.

Right, thank you!