Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I got an amp head (Crate GX-1600 to be exact) that had some sketchiness involving the input jacks as well as horrible popping when I adjust the gain knob. I opened it up to see if there was anything really obvious that I could replace (loose solder joint or something), and noticed this.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

This is probably really stupid, but what is this yellow waxy crap? Is it supposed to be used as an adhesive on more sensitive joints? If so, then it looks like whoever had this before me was kind of reckless with it. Is it the remains of something melted? EZ cheese? Would removing it have any effect?

Anyway, I can do without the gain on channel B; I just want to be able to play through this without it suddenly cutting in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

scuz posted:

You problem is that you own a Crate.

I thought so. Thanks for the info.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
That Crate I posted about literally just died. I turned it on, heard a pop and crackle and then smelled burning plastic. Awesome.

I guess I gave it a loving home to spend its last days in.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

pimpology 101 posted:

What's the simplest and most cost-efficient way to record my guitar to my computer?
I'm thinking of buying an SM57 mic but I'm not sure what exactly I need to hook that up to my computer. Would a preamp work for that?

I'm gonna have to second this question. I've been looking around for a long time now, but can't settle on anything in particular.

All I want to do is basic, stupid stuff like recording a bass line, sending the file to a friend and having him record a guitar line over it. Say we both wanted to get something cheap and simple to do this. Neither of us have fancy mixers, microphones, good amps, anything like that -- so I think a USB recording interface might be best. But I don't know which ones have bad static and latency issues and which are decent. Obviously with our setups, good tone isn't really the goal; it's just for messing around.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Newf posted:

I'm having some trouble with audacity. Every so often when I record, the whole thing shuts down when I hit the stop button. Now when I restart it, it says that there it has found temporary files that were not deleted or saved, that it can't recover them automatically, and that I can recover them manually.

Any idea how I might do that? And what could be causing this crash?

Are you using the 1.3 Beta? I had tons of problems with 1.2, including it shutting down seconds after I tried to do anything with it -- when I got 1.3, my problems all disappeared.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hi, I have a little recording situation that I'd appreciate some help with.

All I want to do is record my bass to PC. Sound quality is not a huge issue -- this would just be for messing around and trading stupid recordings with friends, so I don't have a mixer or anything. I'm trying to spend little money on this. I have a U-Control interface which I'd like to use, however it only has L/R inputs and they're 3.5mm size. So I'm going to need a 1/4" female to 3.5mm male adapter. However, the options there are kind of weird.

It's alright if I can only use either the left or right input individually and then just "mirror" the channel to make it stereo in Audacity, but if it's possible to use both inputs at once, then...
Do I get a stereo 1/4"-to-dual RCA? Wouldn't a mono 1/4 to dual RCA produce the same effect?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

h_double posted:

Based on that photo + description, those are RCA phono plugs (like A/V connectors on a TV), not 3.5mm plugs (like walkman headphones). Unless I'm mistaken, what you need is a 1/4" female to RCA male adapter.

Plug your bass into the adapter, then plug the adapter into the interface. There should be someplace in Audacity to tell it to record off of either just the left or right channel, if not you can always bounce the one side to a mono track. You probably will not get a very strong signal level recording this way without any kind of preamp, but it should be okay to experiment with at least.

Hey, thanks. It was RCA after all...at least I only lost $2 before reading your post. I'll get an adapter tomorrow -- I did consider the signal level being low, so I'm hopeful for the preamp possibilities of the VT Bass pedal.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
About that previous Behringer U-Control stuff...

...how the hell do I get any sound from it? My setup is bass - VT Bass pedal as preamp - U-Control - PC.

On XP, in Sounds and Audio Devices, it's selected (as BEHRINGER USB AUDIO) as both sound and voice recording device, but I can't adjust any properties or volume on it.

In Audacity, it's the Recording device. Playback is SoundMAX Digital Audio like always.

I downloaded the drivers for it and seem to have tried all the different configurations, but no luck..anyone have experience with this or am I just a dumbass?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I see...that seems to be getting somewhere. The drivers seem to reduce latency; you can't interact with them. Now, as everything set to the U-Control, the input in Audacity goes to 0% with my PC volume up -- when I raise the Audacity input at all, it mutes my PC volume. What.

I guess I'll write Behringer support and hope for something.

EDIT: Ughhhhh the cable at the beginning of my pedal chain wasn't plugged in all the way. Horrifically stupid, thanks for the help though.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 6, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Anybody know of someone who can provide me with a nice custom headstock decal (waterslide)? I emailed the most well-known user at ReRanch, but I guess he doesn't check his mail very often. I know there are people on Ebay, but their prices are kinda high...and you only get one. I need at least two -- I can't risk $20 on something a draft could mess up.

It'd be cool to do my own, but I don't own a badass metallic ink-capable printer or even a laser one.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
http://tindeck.com/listen/decm

What effect/combination of effects is the guitarist using to achieve the "squishy" fast muted playing? If it matters, he uses a Fender Mustang.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Thanks for the info.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Wow, interesting! Thanks.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Forgive me if I'm about to hit you flat with a wall of stupid, but here's my question.

Okay, say I want to play through one effect or series of effects...let's just say I want to play through a chorus right now.

So I'm playing through a chorus. What if I wanted to, on some other route, have like a fuzz + reverb always on and controlled by a volume pedal that I could fade in and out while at the same time playing through that chorus? Basically, is it possible to have these two "routes" going at the same time, using one amp? Is something like the Boss LS-2 capable of this?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Mmm, I know what you're talking about, but I don't think I worded my post very well.

In essence, what I'm thinking of is having "pedalboard A" with its various effects,
"pedalboard B" with its effects, and something in between so that these 2 boards can be used independently of each other. So my effects wouldn't all be connected in a single chain.

The "Guitar->Reverb->Fuzz->Delay->Chorus->Amp" chain would be like, if I wanted to use chorus exclusively I would have to turn off the pedals before it...and if I wanted to use reverb/fuzz as well as the chorus, it would be reverb into fuzz into chorus making a hellish noise. What I want is more like the chorus on one "circuit" able to be blended with the reverb+fuzz (via volume/expression pedal) from the other "circuit".

Sort of like a big pedalboard broken into segments so that you could have one thing going on "A" and a whole other deal on "B" and wouldn't require careful tap dancing on your big single chain of effects to get what you want.

Thinking about it right now leaves me unsure if this is a really stupid concept that I can't wrap my head around. Please feel free to let me know if I'm retarded.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Narwhale posted:

You should be able to get an ABY switcher like this. Put a loop on A + B. Then you can decide whether you want to play through one or the other (or both). Put the volume pedal in the reverb/fuzz loop and you'd be able to blend it in when you have A+B selected. Then you could get this and put it reversed at the end to combine the two loops back into one signal. If you ever wanted to play with no effects, you could either just turn off the effects on the loop you were playing through or get ABCY boxes instead and make one of the channels just a dry signal. Does that make sense?

Yes, that seems right. Thanks!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm pretty set on buying this GGG booster kit:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com...68044a841b3e85a

And have a question regarding the actual wiring.
(pdf incoming)
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_cb1_lo.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

I'm never going to use the battery snap -- can I omit it and the pedal will work fine, or will I have to wire it differently to make up for the lack of the battery snap being wired in?

edit: also, would 2 green LEDs wired together be usable instead of a single red? Obviously I'm not keen on electronics yet...

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 16, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Yeah, thanks a lot. I want to learn this stuff so I don't have to ask terrible questions all the time!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Have you had it set up before?

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 26, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Does anyone even make 8 ohm 215 cabs?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Huh, cool. If only I had some money.

Thanks.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
You can get an XLR to 1/4" adaptor and use the microphone through a practice amp. That's cheap and might be ok if you're just jamming, you know?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I know it's a disaster to power on a tube amp with no speaker load, but I've also heard that you shouldn't turn one on without an instrument plugged in. What's up with that? Is it just because plugging one in after the amp is on might make a speaker-damaging "pop"?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Thinking of putting wacky new pickups in my Strat copy. What I'm considering is...

Neck: single coil lipstick
Middle: Humbucker
Bridge: single coil lipstick

I don't play any style of music in particular, I just think this would sound cool. Would the humbucker be better suited to the bridge position though, do you think?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

Hey, I've been having trouble with locating a power supply for a stomp box of mine and i figured you guys would be more help than the idiots at my local guitar center.

I bought this stomp box on Ebay a few months back. The only problem is that the sale didn't include a power supply and that this pedal isn't made anymore. I was wondering if there was some kind of universal power supply i could use but when i type in "universal power supply" I get 100 different results from 100 different electronics. And when i narrow the search I'm still looking at a lot of options.

Details

Make: Series 10
Model: DT-1

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/visual-sound-1-spot--space-saving-9v-dc-adapter

There's a big variety of pedal power supplies, but this is probably the most ubiquitous. You can buy daisy chain adapters and such for it as well, so you can power multiple pedals off of it on the cheap.
(99% sure your local guitar center has it.)

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
You can get cans of it at any hardware store. It shouldn't be too expensive, $6 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
As long as you're only cutting and splicing the cord itself outside of the chassis, not loving around with the interior of the amp and soldering things or licking capacitors, it should be fine.