Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Ok so exactly what is "wall of sound"?

-"The guitarist of Staind utilizes a wall-of-sound for the guitar on all their albums"
-"Trent Reznor is always producing everything in a wall of sound"
and so on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

The most frequent complaint I get when mixing is that my mixes tend to sound a little "flat". Exactly what is meant by the adjective "flat" when referring to a mix?

The volume levels of the instruments are too close and nothing particularly spikes or stands out?

The EQ is too much around the same frequency in general and the mix doesn't have much punch sonically?

Something else altogether?

Also what is the main cause of a flat mix? I'm thinking I'm probably mixing too loud and therefore I'm constantly bringing things down, trimming EQ too much, and getting rid of essential louder instruments/sounds/frequencies which apon a first listen may sound great... but instead I am just over-producing it to death (?)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Remember that specific piece of software some goons were using to slow down Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber songs by like 500X slower and turned them into ambient music? Anyone remember who was the software maker and what app name?

I remember hearing it was something specifically designed to do that one effect well, and not just the typical DAW time stretch.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Tre Past Cool! posted:

I'm just asking out of curiosity rather than trying to replicate this sound myself, but how does Tobacco from Black Moth Super Rainbow get that vocoder tone? Is it a specific technique or setting? He doesn't sound like anyone else I've heard on vocoder and the sound is unusually "natural". For reference, here's Sun Lips from Dandelion Gum, which is where he started sounding like that. Also here's a Tobacco track Heavy Makeup with some varied vocoder tones, though I'm not sure if they're all vocoded or not.

The vocals on "Sun Lips" are using a typical vocoder effect. I couldn't tell you what hardware or plugin but it's recognizable as a vocoder.

Now the effects on that "Heavy Makeup" song are getting more extensive and although there is the regular robot vocoder, there is also some other stuff going on by the sound of it. If I had to guess, downpitching (with some higher grade tuner like Melodyne and not a typical pitch bending tool). Also TC Helicon makes some vocal processing hardware that can get those half-robot like effects. As well, at times you can hear the clean vocals layered ontop his effected vox which creates a good illusion.