Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddamn rules.
Okay so a big guy sat on the neck of my guitar when he was drunk. I looked it over in the daylight and saw that there are now three cracks that look rather significant in the top of it, but I don't know how much of a beating a guitar really can take before it needs to get fixed. If this is cosmetic, whatever, adds to the character, but if it's structural or will gently caress up the sound I'm definitely going to beat his rear end into paying for repairs:

This is my guitar:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

And these are the details of the damages--

At the bridge, toward the bottom of the guitar:

At the smaller set of soundholes:

And this is the longest one, going from the inside of the top soundholes all the way under the strings:

So I'm kind of hoping this is just the varnish that's cracked, and not the wood, but it's really hard for me to tell, and goons seem to know everything. Please, help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

God drat. I guess it's time to be loving pissed. Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess at least I'll get better at bass now since I can't play my guitar...

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

I know that on my Ovation with the epaulet soundholes, there's a patch on the back that you can unscrew to do fun stuff like truss rod adjustments. Is your guitar lacking this? If not, then just take that off and stick a flashlight in there, which might make clear how deep the damage is.

There is one, good point. I'll try and open this if I can, but I live in a dorm room so I don't exactly have a tool kit lying around. At any rate I'll be home in a few days and able to look at it for sure. Thanks.

E: Fortunately it looks like the damage is probably cosmetic--no interior cracks. I'll still have it looked at, but I'm feeling cautiously relieved. Anyway thanks for the help guys.

Danger Jane fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 13, 2009

Danger Jane
Oct 10, 2008

scuz posted:

I put DR's phosphor bronze on my old one and now it's the sound equivalent to a 1,000w light bulb.

I use D'Addario flat tops, like 12s or 13s.

E: I should clarify that it's a pretty bright tone, not unbalanced though, to my ear, and a little unconventional overall. Sounds pretty great plugged in too.

Danger Jane fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 14, 2009