Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

Who does good, not too expensive custom guitar pedals? A week ago I lost all of my pedals and cables and over the next few months must rebuild my collection piece by piece. I'm open to new stuff, but it's got to be good. True bypass, no bleed, roadworthy, reliable. I had a Keeley TS-9 and will definitely get more Keeley pedals, but who else does good custom/mod work?

Have you considered building some BYOC or GGG pedal kits to replace your old stuff? Most of the more standard stuff (TS-9, muff, etc) come with all the options for popular mods with the kit, various era muffs, etc. They sound great, they are cheap and are super fun and easy to build!

edit: Here is a link to the GGG kit page. Look how cheap!!

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7&Itemid=45

black_mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

scuz posted:

Oh hey, a free stuff page on GGG!

wtf lol

Yeah, they seem to be all christian-y out there. There was some sort of small religious leaflet in the box they shipped my octave fuzz kit in. It was nothing too extreme, usually that kind of thing weirds me out- more when I was a younger angrier man than now. The way I see it, if you want to keep selling me high quality pedal kits for cheap I can't complain too much if you want to make sure my soul is going to be okay, just in case I don't have that in check already. Or send Chick Tracts, because they are funny.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Handen posted:

Say what you will but JD Sleep is the man, I sent him one of Tim Escobedo's circuit schematics and said "Hey man can you build this for me because I'm retarded" and originally he said "No I'm too busy" but then I asked again and he was like "Yo give me $100 and two weeks" then in the end he was like "Hey thanks for making me build that pedal it was really fun :)"

Oh, I have no complaints! I will be buying from that dude again, for sure. Sweet pedal kits, concern about my soul... what more can you ask for?

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

Are these things roadworthy? I've got precious little experience assembling electronics. I need something that can take two rehearsals and a show every week.

Definitely! All of the parts in the kits are top quality. The jacks are switchcraft, the pots are really nice, the switches are really nice, the cases solid. The electronic components themselves are great and are what are 'supposed' to be in their respective effect, and the mod kits that are optional on some kits use the same parts that the boutique mods are based on. Battery or AC power, everything a pedal you could buy at a store would have.

If you build them right, I see no reason why they would not hold up as well as anything else on the market, to be honest. And the kits go together really easily, there are plenty of pictures and schematics in .pdf format that are on the site.

Don't be afraid to just dive in to an effects project! It is very satisfying to plug in to a box YOU built and rock on out. I can't WAIT to build another kit. It appears that GGG has recently added a Brassmaster kit, that might be my next one. The BYOC "overdrive 2" is also on my list of stuff to build next.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Popcorn posted:

1) Any tried-and-tested means of making your own mic stands? Is it worth it or should I just buy a stand? It seems an unexciting thing to buy.

2) Can anyone recommend me a good portable recording device I can use to make cheap-and-cheerful, but listenable, recordings on the fly? I don't mean like an 8-track or anything with sequencing/arranging features or whatever, I just mean like a dictaphone that records mp3s/wavs OK.

I bought a Tascam DR-07 in late January for $139 from B&H. The DR-08 is coming out soon or is already available, and the prices dropped like crazy on the DR-07. It records my band practices with no trouble at all, and we play LOUD. It takes SD cards and even comes with a 2 gig card. It records in .wav and mp3 at a few different resolutions, the stereo field is well represented, and has become a pretty awesome tool to have in the arsenal- we leave it running for the entire practice. It is super easy to dump the data in to whatever you need, it gets recognized as a USB drive. Get the AC adapter, because it does eat batteries. I love this thing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599284-REG/Tascam_DR_07_DR_07_Portable_Digital_Audio.html

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

I have a Roland Cube 30, a Boss ME-70 pedal and the budget version OLP John Petrucci signature series. I'd like to get as close as I can to Paul Gilbert's swooshy, punchy sound. The problem is that no matter how hard I try, I just can't get close to what his guitars sound like. Is it too much to ask? The answer to that question is important, as I think my problem could be solved with a pickup replacement - I have an X2n in the bridge and I think it has way too much output for getting a Paul Gilbert-like tone. I've gotten close with 40% bass, 55% middle and 40% treble amp settings and using the 'classic' (marshall) overdrive setting on the ME-70, but it's still not really there.

Should I buy a Laney amp? Should I get a PAF Pro and stick it in my bridge position? Or should I just give up and get a new guitar?

I am not sure what all the Me-70 has for flange, but I would look in to that. Or, you could get one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ELAID=374013199

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

digital recorder

I don't have any experience with that particular unit, but I have been using a Tascam DR-07 for a few months, and it is so dreamy I almost can't believe it. Easy to use, sounds great, straight-across-the-board awesomeness. The menus and controls for the recording end of that DP-008 look very similar to my DR-07, which means it is probably crazy intuitive. Read through the manual, mess with a unit at the store. If it's a pain in the rear end to use, it's not going to become the "buddy" you're looking for. You might even want to take a peek at the DP-004 if you want to keep it super simple, though all the varying inputs on the 008 would be great to have.

Edit: clearance DP-004's: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DP004-Digital-Pocketstudio-Limited-Edition-Red?sku=583086