Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

breaks posted:

He wants a modular synth in one form or another. In software form there are things like Reaktor (complicated, flexible) or Blok (simple, relatively inflexible). In hardware form there are many options but realistically for a decent setup you are looking at spending a couple grand.
You don't have to spend so much as all that. As mentioned above, getting a couple Moogerfoogers will get you a lot of interesting possibilities, or for the price of a single one you could get a Microkorg, which can process external sounds in synth mode and in vocoder mode. It's not the absolute greatest tone in the world, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of it and lets you have up to 128 preset wild and crazy sounds if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Ireneo Funes posted:

I have two questions:

1. What do you guys with decent-sized pedal boards use to power all of your gear? I've been looking at the cheaper power supplies like the 1-Spot and Godlyke (what an awful name) but all the reviews I've read complain that they give off a ridiculous humming sound.

The 1 Spot will buzz like a mf'ing devil if you hook up more than one inverse polarity pedal to it, though, because it's got a single groundloop is the way I understand it. Also you'll get a whine if you have too much current being drawn; most digital pedals take a few hundred mA while a lot of overdrives take as low as 10 mA. If you just want a bunch of dirt pedals hooked up to it, 1 should be fine, but if you're gonna have a couple Moogerfoogers (or other inverse polarity pedals) or a bunch of digital stuff you could just get two 1 Spots. Or three or four, depending on your needs. :)

(also a great feature of the one spot is that you only need a physical adapter to have it work basically anywhere in the world, no need for a voltage convertor or anything)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Kramden posted:

Where can I get some cheap 9V AC adapters that will work with pedals? I am tired of using up batteries. Thank you.

1 spot 1 spot 1 spot 1 spot

Ireneo Funes posted:

I think I should be fine seeing as how all I really use is overdrives/tuner/distortion/reverbs. I wish I had the money for a couple of Moogerfoogers though... :(

Yeah, a single one should do ya unless y're running like 5 digital reverbs on top of a bunch of dirt. Also yes on Moogerfoogers, I saved up over a month apiece for the ring mod and filter and at least three months for the delay :3: (also if anybody wants to spend too much money on an incredible mono trem pedal get the Moog ring mod, best and most varied trem i've ever heard)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Just dont tell boss that you didn't use theirs; they're real picky about using only Roland things and would probably say that voids yr warranty. Also, get a Moog EP-1 or the like with an extra pot on the side or somewhere so you can set the sweep range of the exp pedal.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Every drum machine I've used lets you set an amount of swing on it. I probably wouldn't want to use one for anything approaching traditional jazz performance, but I'm sure it'd be fine for practicing.

nb: i haven't used a whole lot of drum machines but the ones I have used are at the bottom end of the price range so I cant imagine a nice one lacking it.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

schlieren, with just two pickups i dont see why you'd need the pickup selector and the blend pot, have you considered 2 independent volumes and a pickup selector? if you wire that right it wont cut off in the middle position if one's down to zero (this is just a peculiarity of gibson's wiring iirc)
also what kind of guitar are you doing this on? i doubt you'll be able to do it on a standard tele because it'll require a decently sized control cavity.

also if you've got a split coil you might do better to use an on/off/on switch instead of a pickup selector to invert its coils' phase :)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

they're endpins, here's some at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Acoustic-Guitar-Bridge-White/dp/B001MMTJVG :)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Scarf posted:

A good site to bookmark for replacement parts is Stewart MacDonald: http://www.stew-mac.com

edit: ^^^ I thought they were usually referred to as bridge-pins. I usually see end-pin referred to as like a strap-button for acoustics to match the bridge-pins. Not sure though.
I've seen both, but upon reflection I do think I've seen bridgepin more often. Haven't seen either one hyphenated often, so google it both ways I guess, Bohnair

Also stew-mac is good to look thru their catalog and figure out what you need, then google it to see where you can buy it at a price that's reasonable

e: like this random place, here's a set of 4 fender ones (yeah those martin pins were looking kinda funky, that was just a basic example sorry!): http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1191

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Schlieren posted:

At the very worst, pots are cheap.
and solder's even cheaper ;)

quote:

In any event thanks for being a sounding board, I'm going to throw the kitchen sink at this thing since I'm already sinking at least $3000 into it :gonk:
no trouble, i'm pretty funny about my wiring, i tend to go for what most folks'd say is too many switches and not enough knobs :xd:

and compression would be a good way to tame the switch from parallel to series; honestly, that's the reason i'd recommend another configuration, but hell, it's a rear-access control cavity! if you don't like it, go plug in your iron and switch it up

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Mr.Gorha posted:

How do I go about promoting a band?
They've played a few shows in our city, and they already have a pretty big fan base (around 75 tickets a show) but if they want to play in other lerger citys around us, they're told they have to sell atleast 50 tickets, and since they don't have a local following in any other city they pretty much can't do that.
Pimping out myspace and facebook just seems whoreish and attention grabbing, but other than leaflets and flyers, how did bands promote themselves before online music became so huge?
Befriend bands local to those other cities and open for them would be one way.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

You're not really likely to find anything at a hardware store that'd be suitable for nut files, assuming you want to do a good job. The reason they're expensive is because they're precision tools; stewmac is a ripoff though. Look for a set of Ibanez files, I picked mine up for ~$75 hardly touched from another tech who preferred his other set. Ask the techs at local guitar shops and see if they have any, barring that google around, they tend to go for under $100 new and they're great files to use.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Nelsocracy posted:

Does anyone know the basic differences between the different Fender Twin models (Blackface, red knobs, silverface, reissue, reverb, etc)? I've done some research but the only thing I can find is that they were made in different time periods and have "different circuitry" as well as cosmetics. I'm a little confused as to why certain models are worth much more (Blackface).
Blackfaces are pre-CBS so you got all the gear junkies buying them. The red knob "The Twin" from the 80s does a decent distorted tone from what I hear, which is unusual for a Twin. Oh, and a Twin Reverb has reverb obv
They tend to sound really great clean and weigh half a ton

(btw I've actually got a Music Man Sixty-Five 210 (65W, 2 10" spkrs, very imaginative name) that's basically the Music Man version of the Twin I'm looking to sell)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

If it wasnt' an Ovation it'd be easy to stick your hand thru the soundhole and feel the wood from the unfinished inside of it, but with that... Definitely slacken the strings and take it to a decent tech asap

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm not feeling curious enough to break out my high level google fu on this but I know we have some major ehx fans here; does anyone know if the foot controller for the 2880 would work with the HOG (or any other ehx unit) by any chance?
I'm thinking about getting some kind of midi foot controller for the 2880 since the firmware upgrade makes that look really attractive and was wondering if that (possibly at some point to be-spare) piece of kit would still have any use ?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

stairway to hippo posted:

I've never heard about this being possible, and I've been reading some forums with a lot of EHX-fanboys. The set of parameters being controlled is pretty different on the two pedals.
As I understand it this is completely irrelevant since the foot controllers just send voltage to some digital circuit inside the main unit. Again, this isn't something so pressing that I'd actually bother to, you know, open a new tab to google it, but it seems entirely plausible that they could be interchangeable. Then again, ehx might throw one random resistor in there just to screw up the values between them.

quote:

Also, it's my impression that EHX is a pretty decent company, and if the foot controller was the same for both pedals, they'd probably be clear about that.
This is stretching it. They're not the fishiest fx company ever but they def want to make a buck and their descriptions of their effects are often high on flowery prose and low on useful details

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

As an EHX fanboy, I can tell you that they do almost anything they can to save money. The space drum, one of their less popular pedals, was only allowed on the product line because the designer managed to fit it in a Big Muff Pi enclosure. The reason this is relevant is because if the two controllers were the same, EHX could just slap two jacks on it, label it a foot controller and call it a day, as opposed to labeling them differently. I imagine that's what the case would be if they were the same.
The other side of that coin is that palette swaps are dirt cheap, too, with the benefit of maybe milking a few extra bucks from the richer customers

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

stairway to hippo posted:

Well yeah, most companies are primarily about making money. But I don't think it would serve them in the long run if it was discovered they sold two pedals that are the excact same product just with a different paintjob.
I cant imagine itd be a big deal, like ape sauce sez, if yre throwin the money to get both of the fx units and 1 foot controller, you can afford another one and you'd need 2 controllers to play live... They wouldnt care if you bought two of the same one since theyre the same price, right?

quote:

I can take a look inside my HOG FC when I get home from work and see if I can find any gut shots of the 2880 FC to compare.

I'll find the camera again and disassemble my 2880 foot controller to compare :)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

well waddayaknow, mine's an EC-9876 rev A board too, learn sth every day :)

e: cant get the second screw off to see the top of the board >___>

byob historian fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 15, 2009

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Looks like a teisco del rey (these were rebadged with a million different names, got one with some girly name I need to change the nut on for sbody)

It doesnt have the gold foil pickups which can go for a few bucks but looks like its in decent shape. It's worth around a hundred bucks, assuming the electronics are fine

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Instrument cables carry line-level signals just fine; that's what line-level synths and whatnot use

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

rockear posted:

Using a $50,000 invisible Telefunken U47 :)

Two for stereo :downs:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Bubba Fuzz posted:

I have a guitar related question, and this seems like a reasonable place for it. My ESP EC1000 has been giving me some trouble. Playing anything past the 12th fret sounds terrible, especially on the high strings. The notes buzz and are out of tune. At first, I thought it was an intonation issue, so I tried to make adjustments. Then I noticed that even my 12th fret harmonics were out of tune. This is the first time I've encountered this, and didn't even realize it could happen.
This means you probly made your intonation worse when you tried to fix it.

quote:

I suspect it needs a truss rod adjustment, probably from me moving it around so much in the past year. Adjusting the truss rod is simple enough, but I know I could really screw something up. Is it worth it to try to do it myself, or should I just have it professionally serviced? I'm obviously not going to go making random adjustments, and I'll make sure I know what I'm doing before I mess with anything, but I'd like to save some money and do it myself if it makes sense.

Also, is there a chance that it's something worse than a truss rod issue?

Dont touch your truss rod, its unlikely that its the issue here. Your guitar needs a setup from someone with experience. If you can find a tech without a major workload, he might even let you watch so you pick up some pointers :)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

What adjustments did you make? How old are the strings?

You can make your own truss adjustments, but in my experience it's not going to be a miracle cure and it takes a lot of patience.
This is a fancy way of saying dont do it to fix a problem its not going to fix. Above your twelfth fret your truss rod does so much less, and this isn't a truss rod fix in any likely scenario anyway. (I'm urging patience because I dont want you to break the rod and have a much, much bigger problem on your hands)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the service manual for the Ibanez HD 1000 ?

Or a link to where I could find it online for free or very cheap ($25 for a service manual for a $50 unit is not very cheap)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Sylink posted:

Can anyone recommend a full size keyboard with weighted keys?

My wife loves to play piano but we don't have the room or the noise control for a real piano.

Mostly going for the feel. I wouldn't mind additional synth capability for my own purposes. Pedals are kind of a must as well.

Not looking to spend a shitload either so I don't know if this is possible.

i got a steal on a roland digital piano via craigslist -- take a look
no synthesis but a hell of a midi controller, takes at least a sustain pedal [i'd check but its ay a bandmates house]
i imagine anything similar from the major brands would be good

also tyvm numba 9 for the link, i'll check it out when i'm not wii-browsing

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Why'd you stop singing, Alizee ?
You shouldnt hide that lovely figure behind a keyboard! ;)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

also tyvm numba 9 for the link, i'll check it out when i'm not wii-browsing

Yeah, that's actually the owner's manual, not the service manual. Thanks anyway, though! :)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

Gah! no offense dude, but you gotta learn some notation or get better software! TWO staves, man. Gotta use the grand staff for the piano. Also, that's not what the pianist is playing.

You should learn to count. That's 4 bars.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

legsarerequired posted:

as I'm looking for an instrument that I could learn to play and maybe sing along with.

Clearly you should get a modular synth and the nicest vocoder money can buy :xd:

really those suggested instruments would be a good start, esp if you want to sing. Maybe you could play harmonica and take turns between singing and playing ?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

reach42 posted:

are there any good (preferably free, though I do have Logic Express) computer programs that can accurately simulate a looping pedal so I can practice with it before deciding whether or not I'd want to drop $200 on a pedal?

$200 isnt a very expensive pedal, duder

but you could just get a good recent digital delay and itll have a basic looper function built in

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

have you cut the nut slots deep enough? what kind of bridge is it thats too tall? can you post pics? it doesnt sound like a problem with the neck relief, which is all the truss rod adjusts

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Regular superglue is the industry standard.
But just using elmers or cheap wood glue is what anyone who actually works on guitars would use.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

codyclarke posted:

Is there any real use for C flat major other than writing for harps? It seems like something I'd never use, other than to challenge myself while sight-reading.
If you're not using equal temperament, there are many things to do with it. You'd probably know if you weren't using equal temperament, though

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

the wizards beard posted:

The bridge posts on this guitar are crooked, is there anything I can do about this? Everything works as is, but a couple of the saddles are screwed all the way to the extremes to intonate correctly.

the bridge posts on gibsons are supposed to be crooked. do you mean the tailpiece posts? those are usually parallel to the frets

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

Fret wear: how much is too much?

I can see where the frets are flatter under the strings, and when the strings are off and I run my finger up the fret I can feel the flat spots, too. The wear is distributed pretty evenly along each string.

When you start fretting out* you need to replace your frets. Until then, a good buffing wont hurt. Next time you need to change strings, go ahead and take them all off and rub each fret with a green scouring pad and then wipe your fingerboard down with rubbing alcohol. That should smooth things out enough that you wont have any trouble bending.

*for clarification, I mean when a string buzzes very bad on a particular fret despite havig set up the action very well.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

CalvinDooglas posted:

The good news about the fret wear is that it's really even, which means I'm not unconsciously resorting to the same positions and keys all the time.
The even better news here is that your fingerboard is in very good shape. Even a very slight bump left on top will get a fret or two wearing drastically faster.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Hydrolith posted:

On the guitar: Has anyone got a good diagram showing a good pentatonic scale pattern that moves down the fretboard, rather than just across the strings? I know the pentatonic shapes, but I don't know a good way of chaining them together. I mean, I tend to switch up to the next shape only when I run out of scale when reach the top of the previous one, which, as I understand, isn't the most efficient position to change shape.

While we're at it, a major scale pattern couldn't hurt either. I know one shape, again moving across the strings rather than up the fretboard, with the root note on the second finger and the hand position not moving.
You'd do better to just go ahead and learn each note on the neck and then which notes make up which scales (whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, &c)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

why in the hell do the new Hammond B-3s only have a MIDI out jack

i mean, i can understand having only one midi jack on my boss sp-202, but i got that for under a hundred bucks, ffs

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

dr. madlove posted:

hey all, i would like to know what the following chords would be in drop D tuning..

eb-x
Bb-7
Gb-9
Db-9
Ab-7
Eb-x

notes in this are: Eb, Bb, and F

eb-x
Bb-0
Gb-0
Db-2
Ab-3
Eb-x

notes: Cb, Eb, Gb, Bb (would this be a Cbmaj7?)

thanks a bunch :)!
E flat suspended 2nd and a B major 7th respectively are the most likely candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

not unless you plan on gigging or dont have a car. transporting an amp one way is pretty easy as long as you make sure its not gonna be sliding around a whole lot