Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

codyclarke posted:

My string heights were way too high on my strat past the 12th fret, so I used a ruler and lowered the strings at the bridge. Everything to 4/64" at the 17th fret. Now I get heavy fret buzz past the 12th fret and above the the 5th fret toward the nut. Between the 5th and 12th frets things are alright. Is this indicative of too loose a truss rod or too tight? Or is this some other factor I'm neglecting?

It's indicative of the strings being too close to the fretboard. :colbert:

The spots where you're hearing buzz says to me that you have more fret wear between the 5th and 12th frets, which is why there's no issues there.

Remedies could be:

a) Raise the strings back up
b) Play softer
c) Put thinner strings on
d) Get a taller nut installed
e) Loosen the truss (allows the neck to bend with the pull of the strings)

The problem is, however, if you do either of the last two options, you're going to be lifting the action again. So you adjust the bridge again, get more fret buzz, so you adjust the truss again. Eventually the instrument is unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I r Pat posted:

So since I am not familiar enough with guitar tech to do actual work myself, I called guitar center (where I purchased it) and they directed me to Ibanez to ask about the manufactuer warranty. They don't pay for shipping there (which could be like $30 I'm assuming).. and they said they would replace the guitar.

Eh, guess I have to get it done for it to be comfortable!

If you can get it on warranty repair, I say go for that.

But if that fails, an alternative option is finding a local guitar shop. I guarantee there's a luthier in the area who will do it in a day or two.. and it shouldn't be too expensive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's in that 40 seconds? Is it a 40 second loop? Or is a "complete" song, with verses and a chorus?

Composition is a tough subject, and certainly isn't a "small question". The most common advice is going to involve analyzing songs that sound like the music you want to make, and use what you learn to build out your own song. The hard part is knowing what information to look for when studying a song, and I've never found a good explanation for how to do that other than "do it a thousand times and you'll figure it out".

I've always found making songs much, much more difficult than playing instruments.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also note that a guitar will never be perfectly in tune across all frets. The fret set up has some compromises in it to make playing easier, which sacrifices perfect tuning.

As an illustration, you'd need a fretboard like this to get perfect intonation:

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php

As the others said, you can mitigate it a bit with fretting technique. But if you happen to have perfect pitch, maybe this is what's making things sound out of tune.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe buy some tutoring from a producer you enjoy. Like make a track and they'll dissect it for you and offer pointers. Nothing teaches like having something you love get dismantled. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Commission a three string krappy punkrod and tune it to a power chord, play everything you need with one finger.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cruft posted:

Isn't this the exact technique used by the guitarist from The Presidents Of The United States Of America?

Yes, but they use normal guitars. Not one-offs made by some eccentric in north carolina.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a current hotness for routing midi on Windows these days? I got a situation where an app (midinous) creates a midi port on startup and I want to send its midi through my external interface (an iconnectivity product) to hardware devices. I cannot convince my interface's config app to recognize the existence of midinous' port and this is sending me down the road of finding a software router.

However, everything google is suggesting looks like it was last updated in 2005 and looks sketchy as hell. Which prompts me to ask how people are doing this these days, or if they're doing it at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

The reason all software to do it is ancient is that modern computers are powerful enough to just use a whole DAW for the purpose. Even if you're only routing to hardware instruments, the assumption is that you're going to record their output into the DAW at some point anyway.

Thanks for that.

I hate that this is the case but I guess I can live with it. I was expecting to run this software like a typical midi controller and adding in a DAW that I have no intention of using feels like overkill to me. But I can see the value if I ever decide to record it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pick a random DAW that fits your budget and stuff it with so many free vst's your cpu explodes. That's what most everyone does.

If you want to do modular type stuff, VCV Rack is the way to play. The free version is more than enough synth for any single human.

Bespoke synth is a pretty clever free option. It's kind of a synth and kind of a modular and kind of a daw.

If you want to do tracker style like it's 1990, sunvox is where you look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's probably a sample in one of the klevgrand plugins.