Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Fuzz
May 3, 2009

I have a guitar related question, and this seems like a reasonable place for it. My ESP EC1000 has been giving me some trouble. Playing anything past the 12th fret sounds terrible, especially on the high strings. The notes buzz and are out of tune. At first, I thought it was an intonation issue, so I tried to make adjustments. Then I noticed that even my 12th fret harmonics were out of tune. This is the first time I've encountered this, and didn't even realize it could happen.

I suspect it needs a truss rod adjustment, probably from me moving it around so much in the past year. Adjusting the truss rod is simple enough, but I know I could really screw something up. Is it worth it to try to do it myself, or should I just have it professionally serviced? I'm obviously not going to go making random adjustments, and I'll make sure I know what I'm doing before I mess with anything, but I'd like to save some money and do it myself if it makes sense.

Also, is there a chance that it's something worse than a truss rod issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Fuzz
May 3, 2009

Thanks for the help, guys. There's probably a good chance that I made it worse.

The only thing I adjusted was the bridge saddle for the high E string, following the instructions in the manual. The note was flat at the 12th fret, so I moved the saddle towards the neck. Moving the saddle in small increments didn't make any difference, so I didn't bother with the other strings, figuring it had other issues I needed to address first. I noticed that the harmonics were very flat on that string, and the others as well if I remember correctly.

It could certainly use a new set of strings. It did come from the factory with pretty low action, and it has extra jumbo frets according to ESP, if that makes any difference.

I'm not going to mess with the truss. I'll probably go ahead and restring it, and maybe mess with the action a bit. It definitely needs a setup, so I'm going to try to find a good tech around here. I'm a big fan of my guitar, so I'd really rather not break the rod.